Ye Olde Epcot Photos..

echoscot

This one is really cool...the descent on SSE...
ec%20const%2012.jpg

The caption for this was great, how the Imagineer got frustrated because the cars kept ripping out all the audio equipment on the descent.:veryconfu

Uh oh...I hope I didn't give Merf any ideas...:lookaroun

Rayray

You know, after looking at that first picture, I suddenly have the urge to see more trees on innoventions plaza. To me, it would tone down the harshness of all the concrete, but not take away to much from the futuristic motif.

SirNim

You know, after looking at that first picture, I suddenly have the urge to see more trees on innoventions plaza. To me, it would tone down the harshness of all the concrete, but not take away to much from the futuristic motif.
I welcome a lush landscape too, reflecting ponds, horticulture, the works... Like it used to be.

Gotta get rid of the faded Millennium Central sun shades first... :lookaroun

BSikor

Tell me about it. Scared myself with this one! :eek:

But you were 100% correct. I was late getting to this thread (Great job Merf!) and when I saw the original picture and your first theory of where it was taken, I thought it just seemed wrong because you can see the Fountain of Information in the back right. I remember this play area set up and thought it was exactly where you placed it the second time. You just beat me to it.

Its just amazing. You may never think of something like this for decades but then somebody posts a picture of it and all the memories come flooding back.

Great picture and great job Martin!

echoscot

So clean and clutter free.

2239449377_9fd90f30b6_b.jpg

Click here for larger 2700 X 1500 size.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96525092@N00/2239449377/sizes/o/

What a great shot!!! Even for 1983!

Notice the sailor to the right? Back in the day when the Orlando Navy Base was going strong! Probably just graduated from either Boot Camp or Nuclear Power School and visiting Disney with his family, who came to see his graduation.

Those were awesome days for Disney and Orlando in general.

brkgnews

Has anyone read his book, Building a better mouse?

Yup. A great read for your inner EPCOT geek. He's a great guy, too... I spent about an hour-and-a-half interviewing him shortly after the book came out talking about long nights (or more appropriately, short nights, considering the fact that they were working 100+ hour work weeks) sleeping in the pit at American Adventure and such.

Interesting note: the book never really was intended for public consumption... he was basically printing up his notes and memoirs for friends, but word got out that it was available and it started selling like hotcakes to the EPCOT crazies. (me included) :D

disney9752

Ok I recently was going through pics at mom's house and came across a pic of me near the topiary cake at Mk but with a 200 on top....mom was clueless, anyone have a clue??? I googled it and came up with them celebrating their 200 millionth guest but no pics....any help would be great!!!

i belive that was in 87 when the 15th ended wdw celebrated the 200th anniversary of the constitution i believe. that year mk had a patriortic parade & show in front of the castle. now that i think of it signs in mk said star spangled salute to america or somethin alone that line.

t3techcom18

WOW...thanks for all these great pics. For a guy who was born in 90, I never saw how Epcot was before then, and even until now, I hadn't seen how the park was before they put in the Innoventions Plaza/Communicore buildings there. WOW, simply wow. A definite blast from the past. I DO remember the entrance to World of Motion though, since it was still there in 95/96 before Test Track came along. Gah!

PS - What and where was that Epcot computer room thing? From where it is, it almost looks like where MouseGear is now.

echoscot

WOW...thanks for all these great pics. For a guy who was born in 90, I never saw how Epcot was before then, and even until now, I hadn't seen how the park was before they put in the Innoventions Plaza/Communicore buildings there. WOW, simply wow. A definite blast from the past. I DO remember the entrance to World of Motion though, since it was still there in 95/96 before Test Track came along. Gah!

PS - What and where was that Epcot computer room thing? From where it is, it almost looks like where MouseGear is now.

The Sperry-Univac show was in Communicore just to the left of SSE, near where Guest Relations is now. The back side of the show building would have faced UOE.

jeffb

Yup. A great read for your inner EPCOT geek. He's a great guy, too... I spent about an hour-and-a-half interviewing him shortly after the book came out talking about long nights (or more appropriately, short nights, considering the fact that they were working 100+ hour work weeks) sleeping in the pit at American Adventure and such.

Interesting note: the book never really was intended for public consumption... he was basically printing up his notes and memoirs for friends, but word got out that it was available and it started selling like hotcakes to the EPCOT crazies. (me included) :D

Hi Jackie,

Was the interview recorded - is it avaiable for download. I would be interested in hearing it. I am going to buy his book. BTW - I am currently reading Remembering the Future. Thank you for recommending it. It is amazing how much inspiration EPCOT Center took from the 1939 Fair. Heck the trylon reminds me of the wand!

brkgnews

I might be able to finagle a copy of the interview for you. :D

And you had to mention the Trylon and Perisphere, huh? :lookaroun

*climbs out of the NYWF39 bunker*
Interesting thing is, back in 1939 there was some limited controversy that the Trylon completely ruined the perspective and grandeuer of the Perisphere. Plus it was so tall that it needed flashing lights on it to warn airplanes, as opposed to the Perisphere, which did not require obstruction lighting and could thus stay "unblemished." Sound familiar? :) Nonetheless, at least the Trylon and Perisphere were designed at the same time and were physically complimentary of one-another. I'll spare you the mention of the mirrored columns at the base of the Perisphere -- we'll save that corollary discussion for another day.
*climbs back into the bunker*

Glad you're enjoying the book.

SDav10495

I'll spare you the mention of the mirrored columns at the base of the Perisphere -- we'll save that corollary discussion for another day.
*climbs back into the bunker*

...there were mirror columns at the base of the Perisphere? :eek:

You can't just throw us geeks a bone like that and then walk away!

dixiegirl

i belive that was in 87 when the 15th ended wdw celebrated the 200th anniversary of the constitution i believe. that year mk had a patriortic parade & show in front of the castle. now that i think of it signs in mk said star spangled salute to america or somethin alone that line.

Thanks!!! That would explain the pics my mom also has of the Patriotic mickey in a parade with the constitution>>Thanks again!!!

brkgnews

...there were mirror columns at the base of the Perisphere? :eek:

You can't just throw us geeks a bone like that and then walk away!
Suit yourself. :)

There were, indeed, mirrored columns at the base of the Perisphere. They were combined with up-shooting fountains and a pool of water directly underneath to make it appear as if the Perisphere were floating on air (or water, at least).

brkgnews

Here ya go. A photo I obviously did not take myself (hence the huge honkin' copyright mark). It was posted by a well-respected member over at the PeaceThroughUnderstanding forums. This is one of only two or three clear photos I've seen of the mirror columns.

Attachments

• BaseOfPerisphere.jpg
    BaseOfPerisphere.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 54

SDav10495

Here ya go. A photo I obviously did not take myself (hence the huge honkin' copyright mark). It was posted by a well-respected member over at the PeaceThroughUnderstanding forums. This is one of only two or three clear photos I've seen of the mirror columns.

Mmmm...thanks, that'll keep me fed for a week. :slurp: Great photo. So do you think this is definitely what inspired the mirror column at SSE?

And to Steamboat_Kevin and all others who commented on that first photo of Communicore Plaza, I add my voice--WOW. I've never seen a shot of the landscaping quite like that before. It's really quite awesome, and a stunning contrast to what we have today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom