Y'all should ...

M.rudolf

And here are your latest avatar updates. The scripts for the films are almost done Cameron has locked himself in a room and promises not to see the light of day till they are finished. They have locked filming for a late,late 2013 start date. Now for thebad news avatar is basically for all intents and purposes dead. The infighting between Disney and Cameron over budget has taken a turn for the worse Cameron wont budge, neither will Disney. Cameron wants to do something truly unique, unique costs mucho dinero. If it happens both sides will have to make serious compromises. Cameron wants a centerpiece he doesn't want a mini-avatarland, he doesn't want star tours or even potter, he wants the be all end all land. And if he can't get it he will take his toys and go home.

M.rudolf

Uni has announced no plans for Potter 2 or Transformers yet but both have gone vertical. Just saying.

Point is, these things do not get announced anymore they just happen behind closed doors with little hype from the companies until they feel the time is right. JR said Pandora is going forward. That is more than Uni has said about what they are doing. The exception being the Speilberg leak about Transformers. I consider JR's comments on par with those.
Universal is playing it smart. They are promising less and providing more. If avatar goes vertical I will eat a hat. The point is Disney announces everything, hell even additional seats at Fantasmic. They are using an old business model and don't see the flaws behind it. Uni doesn't have to overtake Disney they just have to keep doing what they are now, slow and steady wins the race, and not everyone wants to be number one. JT if you don't think there are people at TDO that are worried, you truly need special help. I love how you support TDO so blindly, but they can't even get you into the parks. That's the problem they face now, not enticing new visitors but getting repeat visitors. While projects at uni go vertical Disneys infighting has basically put all but one project, not avatar, on hold. Universal basically gets a new land and numerous upcoming attractions while Disney expands FLE, 2 c attractions and a whole bunch of pretty bathrooms. You call that winning. If you call last years numbers a success for Disney, you need to look at the previous years Disney is flat or dipping in most areas related to DW whereas DL and the feature film department save the bottom line. Funny thing is marvel still isn't turning a profit for the company yet.

dhall

That's the kind of statement that burns me up. For everything that a fully capable human being can do, the one thing they can't do is have compassion for people with special needs. I know it's not everyone here but after the GAC thread and comments on this and other threads here. It really shows the lack of compassion that a lot of people here have. Take 2 minutes and think about what a lot of a handicapped people goes thru. Some these people only get to go to Disney once,a lot never, before making a comment shouldn't we all think before we post about these situations. If it makes a truly special needs persons day a little easier or better I'm all for it even if I have to wait in line a little longer or if I have to make a compromise. It seems like a lot of people are envious of the privileges that special needs people get, but they don't look at the life they have to live or the condition of life that they have on a normal basis

The statement to which you're objecting was a joke about the current state of the Matterhorn. I'm sorry you couldn't read it that way.

For the record, I do know from experience about what the handicapped go through in everyday life and while visiting the parks. My niece is handicapped, and visits the park in her wheelchair.

M.rudolf

The statement to which you're objecting was a joke about the current state of the Matterhorn. I'm sorry you couldn't read it that way.

For the record, I do know from experience about what the handicapped go through in everyday life and while visiting the parks. My niece is handicapped, and visits the park in her wheelchair.
Next time maybe put that in your post.

M.rudolf

I don't doubt what you've written but have been involved in too many business deals that were "absolutely dead" only to have both sides kiss and make up after reconsidering. I'm not suggesting this will happen in this case, only suggesting that it might be premature to assume Avalarland is 100% dead. With WDW already having made a public announcement, TWDC won't necessary want to walk away from the deal with egg on their face. Corporate egos are huge and, somehow, I suspect it still might be possible for the relationship to cure itself.
Conversely, if Avatarland is truly dead, then more than ever, there's no reason not to move full steam ahead with improvements at DHS.

I agree more deals have been saved from the dead, most companies never admit it when there are issues after the fact. I for one would love to see this come to fruitation avatar isn't the greatest property but Cameron could really put this over the top. This is just were avatar stands at 1:00 central on 9/30/2013 so maybe tomorrow will be different. This my opinion only Cameron has way too much on his plate and he usually is allowed years to do what he wants, he doesn't manage time very well, but he does manage projects from the ground up to the finished state with an expert touch. Being the master usually means doing what you want when you want and not following a bean counters timetable. I still stand behind what I've already posted Carsland has been green lighted but is very hush hush. One of the reasons I believe is avatar and business deals due to the one project leap frogging the other. Egg on the face is a totally accurate statement

menamechris

Am I the only person who thinks it is amusing that of all the people at TWDC - no one in a meeting said - "Uhhh, guys..Do we really want to work with Cameron?" It's like they have no idea what the guy's reputation was for perfection and lavish spending. Why does Disney make knee jerk reactions on all the WRONG decisions?

ParentsOf4

Am I the only person who thinks it is amusing that of all the people at TWDC - no one in a meeting said - "Uhhh, guys..Do we really want to work with Cameron?" It's like they have no idea what the guy's reputation was for perfection and lavish spending. Why does Disney make knee jerk reactions on all the WRONG decisions?
For the most part, this was the same group at TWDC that did say, "Uhhh, guys..Do we really want to work with J.K. Rowling?". 'nough said.;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why do they make knee jerk decisions at ALL?

M.rudolf

For the most part, this was the same group at TWDC that did say, "Uhhh, guys..Do we really want to work with J.K. Rowling?". 'nough said.;)
Another stupid decision lets not work with a reasonable person who only wants what's best for her franchise and characters, no lets work with the self proclaimed king of the world. Lets work with the man who's only had 2 films not be delayed and not go over budget, who has been willing to take 10 years to produce one film and will put personal projects and hobbies before his business endeavors.

Taylor

Another thing why not use an existing propery. Like going to Lucas and saying hey I know we've had our differences but star tours really is only the tip of the iceberg would you like to try to make a true lucasland and show potter,universal and the world the true power of the force
True that would be amazing.

menamechris

Another stupid decision lets not work with a reasonable person who only wants what's best for her franchise and characters, no lets work with the self proclaimed king of the world. Lets work with the man who's only had 2 films not be delayed and not go over budget, who has been willing to take 10 years to produce one film and will put personal projects and hobbies before his business endeavors.

I have a suspicion that Iger bumped into Cameron at some social rubbin-elbows event. Iger was star-struck. That turned into.."I would love to bring the world of Avatar to our Disney parks!" To which Cameron probably expressed interest and how only Disney would be able to do it justice. Shortly thereafter, they are ole-buddies on a stage announcing their plans. The problem is..now they have to deal with their egos working together.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, the management style you suggest (wait for better economic times) is the approach TDWC has taken for the last dozen years at WDW. WDW has stagnated while theme parks and revenue grow elsewhere.

WDW clearly is losing business to UO. Guests are taking one, two, or even three days out of what used to be WDW-only vacations to take the trip up I-4 to visit UO. This change in vacationing pattern is almost exclusively due to WWOHP.

What you seem to forget is that Disney had Harry Potter "in the bank" and then let it slip away. You and I might have seen it as a guaranteed winner but, clearly, Disney management did not. More than anything, the fact that Disney effectively gave Harry Potter to Universal demonstrates just how badly WDW is being managed.

I can't say I disagree with any of this. I am not trying to make excuses for Disney management, but the economics of WDW work a little different than Uni since they are trying to get people to stay longer and stay on property vs day trips. They are losing guests for a day or 2 to Universal, but how many people are going to Orlando for a week and going to WDW for 5 days and Uni for 2? If some of those same people say "we have to go this year since I have to see Potterland" in the end Disney makes out too. They could have drawn those guests for 7 instead of 5 days, but that doesnt equal any more ticket money. They lose a few days of meals out of you. That is why they give you free dining instead of room discounts. In the end even if you eat off property you are still paying for those meals indirectly by passing up room discounts in favor of free dining.

Of course Universal is trying to add hotels and stuff, but like DL it is not really the major draw or the major money maker.

Clever Name

I That is why they give you free dining instead of room discounts. In the end even if you eat off property you are still paying for those meals indirectly by passing up room discounts in favor of free dining.
You hit the nail on the head. The only way WDW can get guests to pay rack rate for a room is to package those rooms with some sort of gimmick such as "free" dining. I'm always amused by the spreadsheets I see that "prove" the cost savings of free dining, the DVC and other such slick inducements. You can't beat Disney at their own game but many people will tell you how they saved money by buying a DVC membership.

menamechris

I think Universal has bold plans for Orlando. The building of a value resort that is themed for families - and will open just in time for HP 2.0 apparently - will be a game changer. People will no longer be "fitting in" Universal, but actually packing up and leaving Disney to drive over to Universal to continue their vacation. I think Disney management is woefully unprepared for the smackdown that this could bring about....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think Universal has bold plans for Orlando. The building of a value resort that is themed for families - and will open just in time for HP 2.0 apparently - will be a game changer. People will no longer be "fitting in" Universal, but actually packing up and leaving Disney to drive over to Universal to continue their vacation. I think Disney management is woefully unprepared for the smackdown that this could bring about....
They just don't have the land to really make it a game changer. They would need a dozen hotels and probably a third gate to really knock WDW out in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom