Y'all should ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hear ya. Cost to upkeep the tank, operation, etc. It always stuck in my mind when, as a young girl, a cast member told me that the reason 20K closed was due to the cost to renovate the subs, instead, managment opted to close the ride and move the funds over to Animal Kingdom. I know that to not be true, but it always stuck out in my mind.

Several authors have written that the staff actually sabotaged the attraction in an effort to keep it shutdown. During a visit by the new President Ovitz, the local staff made a worst case scenario and exaggerated leaks and conditions to scare Ovitz into keeping the attraction shutdown. You can read one summary of the story here - http://www.20kride.com/history.html

menamechris

So - if Disney really does postpone any additions/expansion for Hollywood Studios so they can try to ride the New Fantasyland wave, it sounds like we aren't any closer or likely to get Carsland or Monsters, Inc. coaster than we were months ago. It always seem like when Disney tables something for a later date, it tends to get ignored and forgotten...

PurpleRose

Several authors have written that the staff actually sabotaged the attraction in an effort to keep it shutdown. During a visit by the new President Ovitz, the local staff made a worst case scenario and exaggerated leaks and conditions to scare Ovitz into keeping the attraction shutdown. You can read one summary of the story here - http://www.20kride.com/history.html
That saddens me. I never got to ride and I'll always have personal reasons as to why it's a regret of mine.

Rasvar

Nope, the 2010 standards (which went into effect in '11) - require at least wheelchair OR transfer OR transfer device. Transfer devices (chairlifts) are not required, nor were there changes rushed this year. The 'rush' this year was regarding ADA accessibility on pools, and the enforcement/interpretation of the 2010 standards for them.

Still trying to figure out what they did to make Matterhorn compliant then. Not sure how the current design passes snuff if the new regulations were already in effect. I did not really see any accommodations that were made. I guess the renovations must have stayed under a certain threshold where it was not required. Either way, those new seats are not very good.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Still trying to figure out what they did to make Matterhorn compliant then. Not sure how the current design passes snuff if the new regulations were already in effect. I did not really see any accommodations that were made. I guess the renovations must have stayed under a certain threshold where it was not required. Either way, those new seats are not very good.

Simple.. Disney allows guests to transfer into the vehicles and as long as they have an accessible path to/from the loading platform they should be good.

M.rudolf

So - if Disney really does postpone any additions/expansion for Hollywood Studios so they can try to ride the New Fantasyland wave, it sounds like we aren't any closer or likely to get Carsland or Monsters, Inc. coaster than we were months ago. It always seem like when Disney tables something for a later date, it tends to get ignored and forgotten...
I don't think anything will be postponed due to FLE, it just won't be announced similar to what uni is doing with potter and transformers. Disney probably won't announce anything until one or both of those projects are announced.

Rasvar

Simple.. Disney allows guests to transfer into the vehicles and as long as they have an accessible path to/from the loading platform they should be good.

Heh. I guess it does meet the minimum legal requirements. Can't say the new cars are very accessible for a lot of able bodied folks since the rework. Felt like a pretzel getting in and out of those things compared to any of the other rides.

LOSTllama

Not announced yet, but UNI really is working around the clock... I was there last night for HHN and the crews were working the entire time up to and including when I left at 12:30... There also appeared to be some construction still going on into the wee hours behind Disaster for the Hogwarts Express... I was very impressed that they truly are going this full steam on the projects...

Plus the OT for the crews are a good boost for the economy!!!

alissafalco

Not announced yet, but UNI really is working around the clock... I was there last night for HHN and the crews were working the entire time up to and including when I left at 12:30... There also appeared to be some construction still going on into the wee hours behind Disaster for the Hogwarts Express... I was very impressed that they truly are going this full steam on the projects...

Plus the OT for the crews are a good boost for the economy!!!

Disney needs to take a lesson or two from them.

John

Now your getting it.....Last few weeks we heard rumors for DTD,AK and DHS........nada.....zippo....going to rest on our lurals with FLE....classic TDO.....just classic.

nor'easter

menamechris

Well, they are giving us "surprise" themed bathrooms. That should keep the guests rolling in for the indefinite future. :rolleyes:

Aaahhh..yes. And the new "D Zones", because I am sure TDO's research shows guests really want more dead space in which to sit around and do nothing. But well themed, of course...

AEfx

I am sorry but yes this is wanted...VERY WANTED by most guest today!

Yeah, and the only other option is to put them in restaurants/etc., which means people would be taking up table space hoping to get more juice in their battery before they disconnect, lingering longer than they should (or taking up places in quick service even if they don't order anything).

Most phones have decent batteries these days, but if you are using it as a camera a lot or using a lot of in-park apps, it can be an issue if you are out all day and don't go back to the hotel. I usually have a car so it's not a big issue for me, but for those who are taking busses/etc. it's a great benefit.

The "charging lockers" are OK - but they cost money and are located in one place usually at the entrance, which is a long hike if you just want to get a few more minutes of juice out of your phone so you can take a few more pictures at the end of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom