Y'all should ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
The "charging lockers" are OK - but they cost money and are located in one place usually at the entrance, which is a long hike if you just want to get a few more minutes of juice out of your phone so you can take a few more pictures at the end of the day.

Those are two constraints (cost and location) that are simply choices by the company. Neither are required. If Disney wants to offer charging services, these are still the best alternative. A wardrobe sized unit could be placed all over - and no need to charge money for them if they didn't want to. Imagine if your ticket was your 'key' to the locker...

Clever Name

Sounds good. My semi-serious suggestion for the next project is to wire Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents. Those shows are like 20 mins, right? Every seat would be too much, but you could have a "charging row" in the back.
That's a very good idea. Not only would it provide the extra benefit of phone charging, but it would also help to boost attendance at those unpopular shows. We need to put CBJ on the list too. I don't think we can include the Tiki Room because the show is too short in time.

dhall

Heh. I guess it does meet the minimum legal requirements. Can't say the new cars are very accessible for a lot of able bodied folks since the rework. Felt like a pretzel getting in and out of those things compared to any of the other rides.

I understand ADA requires equal access. Making it impossible for able-bodied customers to board the ride would be one way to comply.

M.rudolf

I understand ADA requires equal access. Making it impossible for able-bodied customers to board the ride would be one way to comply.
That's the kind of statement that burns me up. For everything that a fully capable human being can do, the one thing they can't do is have compassion for people with special needs. I know it's not everyone here but after the GAC thread and comments on this and other threads here. It really shows the lack of compassion that a lot of people here have. Take 2 minutes and think about what a lot of a handicapped people goes thru. Some these people only get to go to Disney once,a lot never, before making a comment shouldn't we all think before we post about these situations. If it makes a truly special needs persons day a little easier or better I'm all for it even if I have to wait in line a little longer or if I have to make a compromise. It seems like a lot of people are envious of the privileges that special needs people get, but they don't look at the life they have to live or the condition of life that they have on a normal basis

RSoxNo1

Aaahhh..yes. And the new "D Zones", because I am sure TDO's research shows guests really want more dead space in which to sit around and do nothing. But well themed, of course...
Yeah, this is a much needed addition. I just hope they would build things like the charging lockers where you can charge your phone and go on a ride or see a show.

menamechris

Yeah, this is a much needed addition. I just hope they would build things like the charging lockers where you can charge your phone and go on a ride or see a show.

I will be interested to see how often these will actually be used. Things can be "needed" but may not be actually utilized when offered. I may be wrong, but I have a very hard time imagining families sitting around waiting for their phone to charge. Usually there is more than 1 phone within a group - when one dies, you simply use someone elses. If you are traveling alone, perhaps thats a different story. I guess we will see. I agree that charging lockers seems like a much more practical idea.

AEfx

Those are two constraints (cost and location) that are simply choices by the company. Neither are required. If Disney wants to offer charging services, these are still the best alternative. A wardrobe sized unit could be placed all over - and no need to charge money for them if they didn't want to. Imagine if your ticket was your 'key' to the locker...

I guess I don't see the big deal with charging stations, or why people would care - if they were in a box or in a relaxing area. Personally, I think Disney could use more relaxation station type places that aren't restaurants or smoking areas.

/shrug

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I carry an external charger on the parks in my daypack, have since 2010.

Here's an idea for Disney...how about cellular service outside of Verizon that doesn't roam all day? Oh, and how about decent internet service? They had it on copper, but they've been fiddling with this Wifi crap for years...and never did it well.

I spend a lot of money, and I make my money using the internet, and when I can't get to it, Disney is COSTING me money that I can give to them. When they limit my cel phone, they are COSTING me money I can give to them...

Even if it's not a direct cost in terms of service charges, but a cost in terms of service availability and convenience...they are costing me.

jt04

He did NOT say that "no large projects would be approved in the next fiscal year". You said that jt. What Jay said was that they weren't going to spend as much as they have been.

And jt, you say Universal and Sea World have shown their hands, (Transformers, Potter, and Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins). But I'll bet you big money that both Sea World and Universal will have new unannounced projects (not listed above) open and entertaining guests prior to WDW getting anything done. AND I bet DHS gets a project approved during this fiscal year.

I hope you are right but seeing as a double dip recession seems more likely than not at this point I remain doubtful.

And I was specifically refering to WDW and capital improvements over the next fiscal year. My impression was Pandora was the only new item budgeted at WDW for the next year. In addition to the normal upkeep/refurbs and already approved projects. But as usual my words were twisted by the usual suspects.

jt04

I'm a few pages behind but ...

"On pace" ... do any of the general contractors, architects, subcontractors, material vendors, or suppliers know about this?

"On pace" ... I know you read all of your information on the net and then filter it into your genius-like decipherin' brain-o-matic but NO WHERE on the net, books, magazines, construction sites, permitting offices, insider information, company posturing, or even in Rasulo's words can you claim that anything at all, let alone construction, is "on pace" for Avatarland.

At best (and only if you are filtering through Mongello-Colored Glasses) you can take away from Rasulo's words that Avatarland is still a possibility but he offered no details, timetables, or plans ... but the realists (using actual insider information coming from sources who have no agenda to spin) know that Avatarland is likely postponed (indefinitely).

Uni has announced no plans for Potter 2 or Transformers yet but both have gone vertical. Just saying.

Point is, these things do not get announced anymore they just happen behind closed doors with little hype from the companies until they feel the time is right. JR said Pandora is going forward. That is more than Uni has said about what they are doing. The exception being the Speilberg leak about Transformers. I consider JR's comments on par with those.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I will be interested to see how often these will actually be used. Things can be "needed" but may not be actually utilized when offered. I may be wrong, but I have a very hard time imagining families sitting around waiting for their phone to charge. Usually there is more than 1 phone within a group - when one dies, you simply use someone elses. If you are traveling alone, perhaps thats a different story. I guess we will see. I agree that charging lockers seems like a much more practical idea.

Remember that the D-Zone in Storybook circus will also have food stands near by. I can definitely see guests getting some food and charging thier devices while they eat.

ParentsOf4

Uni has announced no plans for Potter 2 or Transformers yet but both have gone vertical. Just saying.

Point is, these things do not get announced anymore they just happen behind closed doors with little hype from the companies until they feel the time is right. JR said Pandora is going forward. That is more than Uni has said about what they are doing. The exception being the Speilberg leak about Transformers. I consider JR's comments on par with those.
WDW management is not Universal management. At this time, the decision making process at Uni is showing itself to be impressively bold. At WDW, well, let's just say there still seems to be a lot of WDW management that would rather just sit on the sidelines and build more DVC. WWOHP and Carsland both demonstrate that smart investments can be huge financial winners even in weak economic times. Yet the clock keeps ticking at WDW.

jt04

WDW management is not Universal management. At this time, the decision making process at Uni is showing itself to be impressively bold. At WDW, well, let's just say there still seems to be a lot of WDW management that would rather just sit on the sidelines and build more DVC. WWOHP and Carsland both demonstrate that smart investments can be huge financial winners even in weak economic times. Yet the clock keeps ticking at WDW.

This same sort of "doubting Thomas" stuff was in full force before the FLE was announced. Same thing with DL before the 50th anniversary announcements and before the DCA 2.0 was announced. I think everyone should know by now TWDC moves at a very objective pace and does not allow itself to be distracted by outside noise. And the track record for success is unmatched. Actually, in real numbers, the competition is not even in the same league. For now that is. And if they get overtaken it will not be by Uni.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This same sort of "doubting Thomas" stuff was in full force before the FLE was announced. Same thing with DL before the 50th anniversary announcements and before the DCA 2.0 was announced. I think everyone should know by now TWDC moves at a very objective pace and does not allow itself to be distracted by outside noise. And the track record for success is unmatched. Actually, in real numbers, the competition is not even in the same league. For now that is. And if they get overtaken it will not be by Uni.

I bet there are many cases in the past where companies lost a position of dominance because they didn't watch their competitors close enough and/or didn't react in time to what their competitors were doing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here is the fundamental problem for WDW: adding major new attractions to DHS or AK does not guarantee a windfall in attendance and ticket sales. In terms of quantifying ROI for projects both Universal and DL are much more day trip destinations. Adding a second park that is worth visiting pretty much doubles attendance. It is easy to show new attractions = more ticket sales. Because WDW sells mostly longer term passes its not as clear that adding Carsland or Avatar will increase ticket sales. People could just adjust their schedules to spend more time in the parks that have new stuff.

If the economy fully recovers (murky outlook at best and not likely for 2013, maybe by 2014) WDW has the opportunity to significantly increase their revenues if they add attractions. They have the hotel capacity to bring in more guests than they currently are. There is definitely room for significant ROI for these projects, but the path to those gains is not as clear as it was for Potter and Carsland or even FLE. It takes some vision and some stones to bet on these projects now while the outlook is unclear. To your point, I am not sure the Walt Disney Company has the appetite for taking risks right now. let's face it, they don't need to. DCA and IOA were both in desperate need of a build out. Despite being a complete mess DHS still has huge attendance numbers (mostly due to multi-day passes).

ParentsOf4

Here is the fundamental problem for WDW: adding major new attractions to DHS or AK does not guarantee a windfall in attendance and ticket sales. In terms of quantifying ROI for projects both Universal and DL are much more day trip destinations. Adding a second park that is worth visiting pretty much doubles attendance. It is easy to show new attractions = more ticket sales. Because WDW sells mostly longer term passes its not as clear that adding Carsland or Avatar will increase ticket sales. People could just adjust their schedules to spend more time in the parks that have new stuff.

If the economy fully recovers (murky outlook at best and not likely for 2013, maybe by 2014) WDW has the opportunity to significantly increase their revenues if they add attractions. They have the hotel capacity to bring in more guests than they currently are. There is definitely room for significant ROI for these projects, but the path to those gains is not as clear as it was for Potter and Carsland or even FLE. It takes some vision and some stones to bet on these projects now while the outlook is unclear. To your point, I am not sure the Walt Disney Company has the appetite for taking risks right now. let's face it, they don't need to. DCA and IOA were both in desperate need of a build out. Despite being a complete mess DHS still has huge attendance numbers (mostly due to multi-day passes).
Unfortunately, the management style you suggest (wait for better economic times) is the approach TDWC has taken for the last dozen years at WDW. WDW has stagnated while theme parks and revenue grow elsewhere.

WDW clearly is losing business to UO. Guests are taking one, two, or even three days out of what used to be WDW-only vacations to take the trip up I-4 to visit UO. This change in vacationing pattern is almost exclusively due to WWOHP.

What you seem to forget is that Disney had Harry Potter "in the bank" and then let it slip away. You and I might have seen it as a guaranteed winner but, clearly, Disney management did not. More than anything, the fact that Disney effectively gave Harry Potter to Universal demonstrates just how badly WDW is being managed.

IWant2GoNow

You're right, Uni hasn't announced their newer additions but they are making progress. Visible progress. Whether you are a casual guest or a Uni fanboi, if you're in the park you know something is being constructed in multiple areas of the park.

Things like this do get announced... at Disney. Then they go nowhere for a LONG TIME or just go away. (Hyperion Wharf, Pandora, etc.)

I think everyone should know by now TWDC moves at a very objective pace and does not allow itself to be distracted by outside noise.

On this I can see your point. Companies shouldn't make snap decisions based on their competition, in most cases. However, the way TDO is running things at WDW, it's driving die-hards out of there. And not just for Uni, but for DLR as well. If you've been able to frequent WDW in the 90s versus now, you can see the differences & hardly any of them are good. And I don't buy the "infrastructure" spending debate either. I'm fine with NexGen but they really need to get on the ball. Start taking risks, calculated risks but risks nonetheless. If you build something amazing, there's no doubt people will want to see it. Period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom