Y'all should ...

M.rudolf

LOL me and my fiancé were obsessed with the Casey Anthony case! Last May when we went to WDW, since we drove, we actually went and drove to their house and around the area the body was found! How sick r we!
You might want to go and have a talk with a LICENSED counselor ASAP

Taylor

LOL me and my fiancé were obsessed with the Casey Anthony case! Last May when we went to WDW, since we drove, we actually went and drove to their house and around the area the body was found! How sick r we!
oh also don't forget Casey Anthony's super soak play station yeah you can leave your kids there

the.dreamfinder

Is it a good time to mention that Casey Anthony worked at Uni... Oops

EDIT: that's apparently an incorrect statement and I personally apologize to USF for associating them with a woman whose trial that did not deserve the amount of coverage it got in the media.

menamechris

Is it a good time to mention that Casey Anthony worked at Uni... Oops

EDIT: that's apparently an incorrect statement and I personally apologize to USF for associating them with a woman whose trial that did not deserve the amount of coverage it got in the media.

Yeah - but even so - it was PP. Pre-Potter.

Viget

So, TWDC is like many large U.S. corporations. Executives more concerned with building their power bases then they are with the commercial success of the company.

Yeah, no kidding. Blame Eisner. I am about halfway through DisneyWar right now and the things that guy did to satisfy his own ego and consolidate his power base, even at the expense of the fiscal health of the company, are just astounding. He was even willing to ruin lifelong friendships over these types of things.

I've only started to get a glimpse of what Iger was like in the early days post-merger, but it's interesting how he went from a perceived threat by Eisner to his right-hand man. Probably because it seems that Iger was equally shameless in promoting Eisner's plans, if it meant that he was going to get ahead in the company. And as we all know, the real crown jewel (from a shareholder perspective anyway) at Disney is ESPN, and Iger came from Cap Cities/ABC, so he probably knew how to use that as leverage.

choco choco

Yeah, no kidding. Blame Eisner.

You know what's emblematic of a culture peopled by the power hungry--blame games. Why the need to blame anybody? This is modern politics at its worst, concerned not with telling people how to fix it, only interested in telling you who is to blame for it.

Eisner was sooooo last decade. The faster people stop wasting time reliving it, maybe the faster Disney (and WDI) can move on.

Rasvar

W
Why not Disney has made numerous rides that aren't handicap accessible

New ADA regulations prevent this. New version of regulations even has requirements for chairlift systems into rollercoaster vehicles. Old ones that are not accessible are grandfathered in unless some major renovation is work. (What qualifies as major, I don't know? I think Disney rushed the renovation of Matterhorn bobsleds with the crappy seats to beat some of the regulations.)

lazyboy97o

Yeah, no kidding. Blame Eisner. I am about halfway through DisneyWar right now and the things that guy did to satisfy his own ego and consolidate his power base, even at the expense of the fiscal health of the company, are just astounding. He was even willing to ruin lifelong friendships over these types of things.

I've only started to get a glimpse of what Iger was like in the early days post-merger, but it's interesting how he went from a perceived threat by Eisner to his right-hand man. Probably because it seems that Iger was equally shameless in promoting Eisner's plans, if it meant that he was going to get ahead in the company. And as we all know, the real crown jewel (from a shareholder perspective anyway) at Disney is ESPN, and Iger came from Cap Cities/ABC, so he probably knew how to use that as leverage.
Start making a list of some of the executive names that get repeated. People like Bog Iger, Jay rasulo or Tom Staggs. The people who are supposedly so different, but so behind Eisner then.

flynnibus

Premium Member
"I know attendance is slipping, and our butt is getting kicked in our own playground...but Good God, people, we have got to take care of this menu at Whispering Canyon. And have you SEEN the color of the Magic Kingdom parking toll plaza? Have we no shame??"

That's simply symptom of being a very large organization. You can't get the entire thing pointed in one direction easily.. so individual tracks continue even when the sky is falling overall. Localized worked within divisions are still going to keep on churnning.

flynnibus

Premium Member
New ADA regulations prevent this. New version of regulations even has requirements for chairlift systems into rollercoaster vehicles. Old ones that are not accessible are grandfathered in unless some major renovation is work. (What qualifies as major, I don't know? I think Disney rushed the renovation of Matterhorn bobsleds with the crappy seats to beat some of the regulations.)

Nope, the 2010 standards (which went into effect in '11) - require at least wheelchair OR transfer OR transfer device. Transfer devices (chairlifts) are not required, nor were there changes rushed this year. The 'rush' this year was regarding ADA accessibility on pools, and the enforcement/interpretation of the 2010 standards for them.

PurpleRose

Which is one of the (rumored) reasons 20,000 Leagues closed. Cost of the tank and to renovate the subs were too great. :(

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which is one of the (rumored) reasons 20,000 Leagues closed. Cost of the tank and to renovate the subs were too great. :(

ADA compliance was not the reason the subs were closed. The subs were closed because of the cost of operation. the subs were not facing any alternations to be worried about ada compliance. And even still, it can be shown as unrealistic to make the subs themselves compliant so they could be exempt or Disney could add alternatives like they did at DL's subs.

Edit: when I say 'cost of operation' - I mean operation and upkeep/maint

PurpleRose

ADA compliance was not the reason the subs were closed. The subs were closed because of the cost of operation. the subs were not facing any alternations to be worried about ada compliance. And even still, it can be shown as unrealistic to make the subs themselves compliant so they could be exempt or Disney could add alternatives like they did at DL's subs.

Edit: when I say 'cost of operation' - I mean operation and upkeep/maint

I hear ya. Cost to upkeep the tank, operation, etc. It always stuck in my mind when, as a young girl, a cast member told me that the reason 20K closed was due to the cost to renovate the subs, instead, managment opted to close the ride and move the funds over to Animal Kingdom. I know that to not be true, but it always stuck out in my mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom