wow actually had a horrible time at disney world

Disney_Belle

Last year when we stayed at POR, we had a rough time with the busses. They were unorganized, people were crazy trying to get to them, and they took a long time. And we weren't there during a busy time of year. Other than that, in all of my other stays on property I have never had a tough time with the busses. Sorry to hear you had a bad time :(

Rabflmom

lucky we went before our previous trip. We went the week of aug 11 and stayed for 7 days at port orleans french quarter. The busses were supposed to come every 20 minutes but they did not. it was more like every hour. SERIOUSLY. There was a HUGE line at just about every park for our resort.. we'd see Pop Century and all the other resorts get about 3-4 bus loads before our bus actually came. I just could not believe it. Some of the drivers even ignored people in the wheel chairs at times claiming to "come back soon" and when we went it was dead heat. The only reason I'm complaining is because there were always a lot of toddlers and older people in the heat like that. I was shocked to see how poorly the buses ran during our trip. I hope they fix their issues before someone gets ill waiting in the heat.. if so they'd have an hours wait like we did.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think there was a discussion even back in May that the buses between parks were taking longer to pick up people,too. I know we waited at Epcot for an hour to get a bus to Animal Kingdom even back then. It seems like there were just less buses; but then some of the stops got 3 pick ups before we finally got a bus. The thing I noticed at that stop was that the only thing you have is the awning over your head. If someone did start to have problems from being out in the heat, there is not even a place to get a drink or buy a soda to cool them off anywhere near the bus stop. I swore I would never wait for a bus without a bottle of water in my hand again.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One compromise solution that I've done is to use the buses and if the wait gets long or if the line for the bus is really long - pay for a cab. In practice we'll take about 3 cab rides a week for convenience when using the buses looks like it will be a big pain in the butt. The 3 cab rides cost us 45-60 dollars. Cheaper than renting a car and we avoid the really aggravating bus waits when they pop up. Just an idea.

disneymyway

One compromise solution that I've done is to use the buses and if the wait gets long or if the line for the bus is really long - pay for a cab. In practice we'll take about 3 cab rides a week for convenience when using the buses looks like it will be a big pain in the butt. The 3 cab rides cost us 45-60 dollars. Cheaper than renting a car and we avoid the really aggravating bus waits when they pop up. Just an idea.

And a really good idea too. That's just what we do when we don't rent a car.

ryguy

Truthfully anyone who goes to WDW in July or August is crazy:hammer:. Went one time and never will do that again. We always rent a car because I don't like being at the mercy of the Disney transportation system. To me the extra $200.00 bucks is worth every penny, because I know if I had to wait around anymore than I already do at Disney I would blow up. So for my family's sake and everyone around me I rent the car. And that was another thrilling episode of deep thoughts by RyGuy:hammer:.

coltow

lucky we went before our previous trip. We went the week of aug 11 and stayed for 7 days at port orleans french quarter. The busses were supposed to come every 20 minutes but they did not. it was more like every hour. SERIOUSLY. There was a HUGE line at just about every park for our resort.. we'd see Pop Century and all the other resorts get about 3-4 bus loads before our bus actually came. I just could not believe it. Some of the drivers even ignored people in the wheel chairs at times claiming to "come back soon" and when we went it was dead heat. The only reason I'm complaining is because there were always a lot of toddlers and older people in the heat like that. I was shocked to see how poorly the buses ran during our trip. I hope they fix their issues before someone gets ill waiting in the heat.. if so they'd have an hours wait like we did.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Were we at the same place??? I was at FQ 12-20 and never had this happen. We thought the buses were excellent. Th most we waited was 15 minutes and that was in the mornings going to the parks. In the afternoons and night I don't think we ever waited 10 minutes, even in the pouring rain. We had 3 toddlers, 3 sisters and boyfriend (20's) inlaws (30's) and my parents (late 50's) and we all commented about how great the transportation was for us. We had DS "wish this is our bus" for every bus we saw to keep him a bit occupied and maybe all his wishing really paid off. We had a wonderful time and would absolutely stay there again.

heliumalias

Just stayed at SS and had a similar problem with buses. They seem to be aware of the problem though because I got asked about it before I left.

Also, it might come as a shock but some people can only visit WDW in August, believe me I much prefer it when I can go at other times of year but usually it just isn't an option. If the crowds are big that's surely even more reason to run the buses more often/regularly. For me the only option is using the buses.

autigger

I don't see why people are being so defensive of the resort in this post. When you go to a resort complex like this you have every right to expect adequate transportation while on site. .

Amen.

It the buees are that bad I won't go. I don't need that kind of hassel and aggravation when I am on vacation.

JustPlainBill

We were there July 31-Aug 7 a few weeks ago, and had the same experience with the busses you did. Only the drivers we saw were very attentive to the people with wheelchairs and scooters. I noticed the same in regards to ratio of busses for the value resorts vs ours for the Deluxes, 3 or 4 to 1. We didn't expect it to be like that, not having problems waiting for the busses on previous WDW vacations. I did notice that Disney had the Mears busses mixed in, so I deduced there was a shortage and outsourcing was how they chose to correct the problem. If ever go in August again in future trips (since I drive down) I will use my own vehicle instead of the busses.

SiriusBlack

I stayed at French Quarter last week as well. The buses were frusterating. The biggest problem was that everyone would be waiting for the Magic Kingdom and 3 Animal Kingdom buses would come in a span of 30 minutes. Then after that wait 2 magic kingdom buses would come at the exact same time. Then later when everyone wants an Epcot bus a bunch of MK buses come instead.

They really need to work on managing the bus timing and efficiency. That was the biggest problem

Southrnbelle

I don't believe a word of it

I was at French Quarter from Aug 10-17. We never waited more than 10 minutes on a bus. The only way you waited that long was if you didn't stay at the bus stop and missed busses. Yes, lines are long for the Port Orleans resort at night from the parks, but even the longest wait we had was not quite 15 minutes and there were 3 buses within that time to pick up people. I think you have an incredible imagination and are blaming Disney for your own bad attitude.

kjd469

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at POFQ. I have to say that out of all the many trips we've had, fom Value to Deluxe, we have never had a problem with the bussing...in fact, I think it's really incredible how well they manage to move such a huge group of people around fairly seamlessly. I think from reading your post that what was really bothering you was the extreme heat, due to the fact that you said you spent most of the time in your room and were really tired - and the buses were just an added irritation. I really think you should have voiced your concerns while you were there - it's not fair to expect a change if they aren't aware of the problem. I hope you give WDW another chance, but maybe next time plan your trip over the winter months, when it's always cooler and less humid. You will find your tolerance level to be much higher when the weather is good!

SiriusBlack

I was at French Quarter from Aug 10-17. We never waited more than 10 minutes on a bus. The only way you waited that long was if you didn't stay at the bus stop and missed busses. Yes, lines are long for the Port Orleans resort at night from the parks, but even the longest wait we had was not quite 15 minutes and there were 3 buses within that time to pick up people. I think you have an incredible imagination and are blaming Disney for your own bad attitude.

I am guessing you are talking to the original poster. But I was also at french quarter and had a similar problem that he/she had. and no i never left the bus stop. Read what I had just said before your post. It was very frusterating to see all those busses pass by and it not be the one my family and I were going to.

That being said, we waited 45 minutes max and that was only like once. Usually it was in the 20-35 minute range. And we still had a great time at Disney

yankspy

Is it possible that the original poster had a different schedule than you? Perhaps they went to the parks at different times. That could be a possible cause for the long waits. I am not saying that either of you are right or wrong it just seems a bit harsh to accuse someone of out and out lying, especially for your first post. By the way, Welcome to the boards.:wave: I generally do experience one or two times during a week long trip when I find myself waiting a little long for a bus. This is why I love the Boardwalk area hotels. It cuts the depency on the bus system by half.

fizzle75

I too have had some frustrating experiences with Disney's bus system, but you know what...I still love it and will (hopefully)always use it. We've been to WDW 7 times now and I can count the number of bad bus experiences on ONE HAND. I understand everyone's frustration but I personally am still amazed that a transit system as large and complicated as the one at WDW runs as efficiently as it does. There are a myriad of problems that can occur that could cause delays and I think overall they handle it very well.

Having said that, I also feel that if all it takes to ruin your trip is substandard bus service then you need to consider vacationing somewhere else. Come on folks, so you're 30 minutes late for park opening at least you're at Walt Disney World and not back home grinding away for your boss. Heck, even if I'm late for a ressie and end up losing it, I'd still rather deal with the hassle of finding somewhere else to eat on the fly than be back home eating a bologna sandwhich whilst listening to my boss complain.

I'll take the stress of late busses at WDW any day compared to the usual amount of stress that I deal with on a day to day basis.

OP, I'm not singling you out, I'm just voicing MY opinion.:wave:

wvdisneyfamily

We had a similar problem at the WL in June. The first couple of days the bus wait time was about 35-50 minutes. One day at the AK the bus was super late. I got on my cell phone, called the WL and asked the front desk what to do. They put me through to transportation. I explained the problem very calmly and kindly. The guy was super nice. He had me wait a couple of moments and then said a bus was on its way. He also said the next time a problem like this happened, find the person with the clipboard walking around the bus waiting area. I never had to do that, though. When we got back to the hotel, we complained at the front desk about the buses. Maybe they'd had several complaints (other guests we talked with at the WL were unhappy about the buses as well) because their were no more bus problems after that day we complained.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The time of the visit is important to consider.
Going in July or early August is usually not a good time due to crowds and heat.

:)
But, that doesn't excuse bad service. :shrug:
I hate using the buses. 90% of the time we bring our own transportation.

But I guess there are some people out there who just love the "convenience" of Disney's transportation system. I mean it's alright I guess, but overall it just aggravates me.
100% agree
Truthfully anyone who goes to WDW in July or August is crazy:hammer:. Went one time and never will do that again. We always rent a car because I don't like being at the mercy of the Disney transportation system. To me the extra $200.00 bucks is worth every penny, because I know if I had to wait around anymore than I already do at Disney I would blow up. So for my family's sake and everyone around me I rent the car. And that was another thrilling episode of deep thoughts by RyGuy:hammer:.
You should never use blanket statements.
Amen.

It the buees are that bad I won't go. I don't need that kind of hassel and aggravation when I am on vacation.
You're from Atlanta...you can take your own car!

mickeymatt

How are the busses during free disney dining?

Anyone know how the busses run from ASM during September 17-23?We will be driving down so taking my car to the parks is really no problem. I have never used the busses, however, and I was thinking of using them this time.

dreamscometrue

I tend to be skeptical about the accuracy of reports like this that state busses came hourly throughout the trip or bus service at one resort is better/worse than others. Here's why I state that.

We've been to WDW 6 times in the past two and a half years and have stayed at 5 different resorts (POP, Coronado, POR, WLV and SSR). We've stayed a total of 45 nights on property and have taken busses to the parks or DD every single one of those days. We've experienced situations such as:
  • Walking out of our resort or a park and walking on to a waiting bus.
  • Waiting 20-30 min. for a bus and
  • Watching, for example, 3 DD busses go past while waiting for our Epcot bus
I would state quite confidently that the AVERAGE wait time of all the bus rides, from all those resorts for those trips was 15 min...no more than 20 min. for sure! I understand that if the busses arrive about every 20 min. that the wait should never be more than 20 min., even if you just missed one. In reality, I doubt that the wait typically is more than 20 min.

So why the trip reports like this one? I think they are, in general, a result of 2 things I've consistently noticed about human nature in my work.

1. Many people tend to easily forget the 'good' and dwell on the 'bad'. Guests can take 20 bus rides during a trip and they'll remember the 3 that took 20-30 min. to come and forget about the 5 min. waits, etc.
2. Many people have an inaccurate concept of time. I see this everyday with presentations, meetings, etc. During every trip, while at a bus stop, I've heard someone state that they've been waiting 20-25 min. for a bus, when it's been more like 15 min. or so.

I'm sorry if you had an experience that you didn't enjoy, but I would expect the number of true 1 hour bus waits during a 7 day trip to WDW to be extremely rare. Unless you were always leaving and arriving at the absolute worst times, the law of averages suggests that during the week you would have had some long waits, some short waits and a bunch in between. That's always been our experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom