wow actually had a horrible time at disney world

RedBaron

We have been using the bus system every time we have stayed on property for 15 years and last year was the first time we had a problem. We also stayed at POFQ (and have stayed there numerous times in the past with no problems). We waited longer than usual for the busses and it just seemed to take forever to get from one point to the next. On most days we seemed to wait about 30 minutes on average for the bus. I assumed it was just part of my bad luck that the park we were going to was always the last bus to come. So after waiting a half hour for the bus, then it taking about 20 minutes or so for the bus to stop at all the stops at POR it was almost an hour before we were finally on our way to the park. I had gone with my mom and told my husband when I got home that when we decide it is time to bring the kids we will be renting a car as there would be no way that my kids would tolerate the kind of wait times we had. I do feel your pain, but it still would have been a cold day before I skipped going to the parks and stayed in my room for as much as I could?? Even though the buses were frustrating, once we were finally out of the bus and at the parks we had a great time.

WDFAN1977

Not to give WDW an excuse, but Disney bus transportation is catering to "A LOT" of guests in a given day. Due to this back ups may and will occur especially at busier times of the year.

I think as a society we expect instance results and satisfaction from any experience as compared to 20 or 30 years ago. I can't believe how many times I have seen guest get upset with waits for transportation, rides, food etc..., no matter how efficient the rest of the trip has been for them.

It's unfortunate that the original poster and others have had bad experiences with WDW bus transportation, but what other resort/ amusement park offers a service like this to begin with. I say, take a deep breath, and try not to be in a constant rush (It's a vacation:wave:).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not to give WDW an excuse, but Disney bus transportation is catering to "A LOT" of guests in a given day. Due to this back ups may and will occur especially at busier times of the year.

I think as a society we expect instance results and satisfaction from any experience as compared to 20 or 30 years ago. I can't believe how many times I have seen guest get upset with waits for transportation, rides, food etc..., no matter how efficient the rest of the trip has been for them.

It's unfortunate that the original poster and others have had bad experiences with WDW bus transportation, but what other resort/ amusement park offers a service like this to begin with. I say, take a deep breath, and try not to be in a constant rush (It's a vacation:wave:).
It's a vacation that many people have scrimped and saved for. As there is so much to do, many people feel that every minute counts against the price that they are paying.

It's quite understandable that people get upset. But, like I said before, it's much more magical NOT to have to depend upon a bus for your transportation.(Whether you feel like you have paid for it or not.)

bobtabin

Rent a car

You can rent a car for as little as <$12 a day from Dollar rentals. A standard/full size if $20/day. It's SO easy to drive from hotel to hotel or hotel to the parking lots. When you are a resort guest, you get free parking. Now, that's $100 to $150 more for a week. I live locally and have stayed at the hotels and find that even if the buses come every 20 minutes, you still have to go to other hotels and the waiting and trip is like 30 minutes to 50-60 minutes. Where, in my car, I can leave a hotel, park the car, and be in a park within 20 minutes from when I leave. Also, when I am tired, I do not have to wait for the buses to come, then goo to other hotels, etc. I can then leave when I want too! Also, you can then travel to places like Wal-Mart (ugh), the beaches (less than an hour away), etc.! I think this is well worth $100 to 150 dollars! However, the trip likely costs more and that much more might not be worth it; but your time is always worth money. Even when the kiddies are tired and cranky and are waiting an hour for a bus; a car is then priceless! (and less stressful) :) Car seats are another story, but many people bring them, rent them, or buy them. Not a perfect solution for everyone, but a suggestion.

disneymyway

try not to be in a constant rush (It's a vacation:wave:).

For some people, something like this makes it a bad vacation. I'm better than my husband when it comes to not sweating the small stuff. I love WDW so much that I "forgive" it things that are a bit annoying sometimes.

My husband doesn't come with us as much because a long wait for something is stressful and the kind of thing he goes on vacation to get away from. Telling him to just calm down and not be in a rush will only make him more annoyed.

Like I said, everyone's experiences and feelings are their own. The OP was not happy with something and even though it is something that might not bother everyone as much, it is still a valid complaint because it is something that bothered him - and he is for sure not the only one.

bobtabin

I think that everyone's experiences are their own and shouldn't be second guessed by others.

You can say, "That wasn't my experience." But it is just not fair to say "You shouldn't have felt the way you did."

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

I agree, but that is why forums were made :)

disneymyway

I agree, but that is why forums were made :)

Yeah, sometimes it seems that way! :)

When we were in Disneyland Paris a week or so ago the lines moved so slowly that I was going out of my mind
! :mad: I mean, seriously, steam coming out of my ears and wanting to scream. Even the fast pass lines were slow - heck, the lines to get fast passes were slow!!!!

Lots of other people were having a really good time so the slowness didn't bother everyone - but I can't help it - I think that Paris does not do a good job of moving lines.

This is my experience and my opinion and I welcome people who have different opinions and experiences, but I would be really annoyed if someone said I shouldn't have felt that way.

WDFAN1977

For some people, something like this makes it a bad vacation. I'm better than my husband when it comes to not sweating the small stuff. I love WDW so much that I "forgive" it things that are a bit annoying sometimes.

My husband doesn't come with us as much because a long wait for something is stressful and the kind of thing he goes on vacation to get away from. Telling him to just calm down and not be in a rush will only make him more annoyed.

Like I said, everyone's experiences and feelings are their own. The OP was not happy with something and even though it is something that might not bother everyone as much, it is still a valid complaint because it is something that bothered him - and he is for sure not the only one.

I do not mean to offend (and yes due to the impersonal nature of the internet it's more than likely it's going to sound as if I am) your husband seems to be exactly like 90% of our society. People need things to happen within a time span of minutes and seconds not to complain.

I understand people spend lots of money on vacation, especially a WDW one, but to expect perfection is ridiculous. Buses will be late, restaurants will be packed and rides will go down for unforeseen problems from time to time.

WDFAN1977

It's a vacation that many people have scrimped and saved for. As there is so much to do, many people feel that every minute counts against the price that they are paying.

It's quite understandable that people get upset. But, like I said before, it's much more magical NOT to have to depend upon a bus for your transportation.(Whether you feel like you have paid for it or not.)

I think the providing of transportation (bus, monorail, boat) is one of the reasons you get to enjoy the magic that much more, no matter how slow at times. Driving around in a car with traffic, screaming kids and what ever else is far from magical. Then lets not forget parking:brick:.

To each there own. Traveling around by bus, monorail and boat while at WDW (no matter how crazy) :hammer:is the only and best way to do it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think the providing of transportation (bus, monorail, boat) is one of the reasons you get to enjoy the magic that much more, no matter how slow at times. Driving around in a car with traffic, screaming kids and what ever else is far from magical. Then lets not forget parking:brick:.

To each there own. Traveling around by bus, monorail and boat while at WDW (no matter how crazy) :hammer:is the only and best way to do it.

The stress from waiting on if-and-when a bus will come. Everybody else's screaming kids. Give me a car ANY DAY.

Parking is easy and paid for. Follow directions that the cast member gives you. They come pick you up and take you to the gate. No hassle.

krankenstein

The bus system is horrible and you cannot ever think they will run on time.
Plus many times they will be full and your stuck waiting longer.

Stay at a monorail linked resort which will easily take you to mk or epcot, and a little walk to disney studios. bus would still have to be used for animal kingdom.

you can stay at wilderness lodge or fort wilderness also. there you can take the boat to mk and from there monorail to epcot and near the studios.

I never thought the bus system was good and the more they have to utilize it the worse it gets.
They need more monorail track.

So, are you willing to pay the extra money for me to be able to stay at GF, Poly or CR? I mean I would love to do it, but right now I am in no financial situation to be able to afford them. I'm sure the same goes for others on the board.

Also, you really think someone would ride the monorail to TTC, switch monorails, go to Epcot, and then walk all the way to DHS from Epcot's front gate on the days they wanted to go to the studios??? I mean that just seems a little far fetched to me. You would never make it to DHS for rope drop either...b/c well it is impossible on typical day (Epcot and DHS open at the same time normally).

coasterphil

I sometimes use the buses to park hop and I really don't know how anyone can honestly think depending on them during their vacation is a good idea. It just takes so long to go anywhere using them compared to a car and it's not like driving around WDW is difficult.

disneymyway

I do not mean to offend (and yes due to the impersonal nature of the internet it's more than likely it's going to sound as if I am) your husband seems to be exactly like 90% of our society. People need things to happen within a time span of minutes and seconds not to complain.

I understand people spend lots of money on vacation, especially a WDW one, but to expect perfection is ridiculous. Buses will be late, restaurants will be packed and rides will go down for unforeseen problems from time to time.

I'm not offended but I am just pretty surprised by this.

There's nothing wrong with my husband. He is under a lot of stress in his day to day life and waiting in lines for buses and rides is not relaxing. So he doesn't do it much. He does things that he enjoys and help him relax. Just because this particular thing is not one he chooses does not make him ridiculous.

People are different. He doesn't have to be like you to be a good person.

Wait, LOL, maybe I am a little offended :ROFLOL:. Not really - just surprised when people can't see that everyone is not like them.

WDFAN1977

I'm not offended but I am just pretty surprised by this.

There's nothing wrong with my husband. He is under a lot of stress in his day to day life and waiting in lines for buses and rides is not relaxing. So he doesn't do it much. He does things that he enjoys and help him relax. Just because this particular thing is not one he chooses does not make him ridiculous.

People are different. He doesn't have to be like you to be a good person.

Wait, LOL, maybe I am a little offended :ROFLOL:. Not really - just surprised when people can't see that everyone is not like them.

What do you mean all people don't think like me :ROFLOL:(Just kidding).

disneymyway

What do you mean all people don't think like me :ROFLOL:(Just kidding).

I mean they should all think like me, of course! :ROFLOL:

Seriously, I'm so lucky that my husband says to my daughter and I, "Get an AP and go when you can!" He comes once in awhile, but really just to be with us and to watch us enjoy it. It just isn't something that he finds relaxing.

Different strokes for different folks. He'd rather go camping.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wow, I feel really lucky. Just got back from the Pop and the bus service was fantastic, and typically do have pretty good service. The only snafu we really had this time was at Magic Kingdom and our line was back really far up and they opened another area next to our assigned bust stop and this guy thought it was unfair that they were behind and might get unto a bus before us (which it was a little unfair), but he just flipped out! Started yelling at the cast members and people standing in that line. He was swearing and threating to punch people in the face. He claimed to have been standing in line for an hour and a half, but we were in front of him and it had only been 20 minutes. Then he started complaining about the bus from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom (that is where his hour and a half came in) It was exciting, crazy, and scary at the same time! Luckily a bus came shortly and we and that guy got on. The worst experience was in 2006 when we waited over an hour at Animal Kingdom for a bus to the Studios.

The buses are always crowded at park close and after fireworks, that is why we usually just grab a snack and wait about 1/2 hour before trying the buses.

disneydiva72

The last time we stayed at Carribean beach we had the same problem, which is why now we rent a car, I haven't been on a Disney bus for about 4 years and I love it.

The problem with the moderate resorts is that once the bus goes around picking people up, it gets to the "end people" and the bus is full, so they will bypass that bus stop. They sort of get forgotten.

I also hate the route the busses take, they seem to be the longest way possible.

I have never spent more that $120.00 for a van at Dollar rent a car, so to me, well worth the rental.

LudwigVonDrake

I don't mind waiting 20 minutes to 30 minutes for a bus if I have to. But when you're standing on a line at the Studios and you see bus after bus go past and you're approaching almost 45 minutes of waiting it can be FRUSTRATING.

Disney should put the buses on a printed schedule so you have an idea of when the next bus is arriving. The way it is now you have no idea that previous bus left 2 minutes before you got to the stop or 20 minutes.

Disneyfanman

We also always rent a car or bring our own. We use the busses if one of the kids wants to stay later or go back earlier. It's always faster to use your own car, but our experiences with the busses have been positive.

If you are unfamiliar with WDW, or from out of the country, or intimidated by the roads, busses should be a viable option. People, however, do call in sick, and busses break down, and crowds are sometimes unpredictable. Even tram service can be hit or miss in the parking lots. Once on the 4th of July, they had a single working tram going at close. Another had what looked like the driver passed out in the driver's seat and was sitting out there in the parking lot. We waited 30 minutes and then gave up and walked to our car on the far end of the lot. Were we upset? Sure. Did it ruin our trip? No. What did we learn? Assume that Disney has staffing issues like everyone else in the world.

I hope your next trip is better. Oh and I agree with the tip of never going in August. I have been twice, and the heat and crowds about killed us. Now we go in early June if we have to go during the summer, and try for off-season whenever we can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom