World of Color

Nicole220

Must.not.watch.videos.

My original plan of going opening night is gone. After two long days in LA this week, I have zero desire to put up with crowds tomorrow. :lol: Sometime next week, though...with the picnic package.

I'm actually really excited for Glowfest. Guess I'm still at the age where my friends and I like to go and dance like crazy people and enjoy ourselves.

My nights at the resort are always spent at DL. I think I'll be at DCA more now, which is a weird thought. :lol:

sponono88

Original Poster
The blue carpet is ready, WoC merch is hitting the stores, and final preparations are underway for tonight's big opening ceremony.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/the-world-of-color-press-event-begins-today/

We’ve been chronicling the development of “World of Color” on the Disney Parks Blog for months now, and the moment many of us have been waiting for is finally here! The world premiere of the show is tonight, and the show officially opens to guests tomorrow, June 11.

Just as we’ve been sharing behind-the-scenes photos and videos throughout the development of the show, we will continue to give you an insider’s look at the events over the next couple of days.

Here’s a preview of what you can expect to see here on the blog:

Tonight, we’ll be taking photos of celebrities at the red carpet premiere, and we’ll share them here. For the most up-to-the-minute reports, follow us on Twitter, @Disneyland.
(The carpet for the premiere event is actually a brilliant blue color to reflect the color of the star of the show: water).

Tomorrow, June 11, we’ll share video from the blue carpet and the opening ceremony at the world premiere, and a preview of “What’s Next” at the Resort that will include some special announcements and never-before-seen photos and renderings.

Tomorrow, we’ll also share a photo of our “World of Color” Trivia Contest Winners at the blue carpet premiere.

I’m very excited and hope you enjoy our coverage.

And here's the video of WoC featured in today's GMA show: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/step-disneys-world-of-color-10875363&tab=9482930&section=1206852&playlist=1538933&page=1

sponono88

Original Poster
As someone who has actually seen the show in person, WoC is a visual and technical masterpiece. It works on a much bigger scale than any other Disney show. It's impossible to take in the full experience of the show from a small youtube video.

techiegsy

I just watched it, and wow, the scale in real life must be breath-taking. But sadly you can see "The Weatherman's" influence on it. Sadly Alice's wonderlands is gone, and the visuals only used at the end. Some of the transitions are a bit iffy...

But really great show other than a few quibbles, I can't wait to go and see it in person

sponono88

Original Poster
^ The latest BlueSkyDisney blog says the Alice scene was cut because the paper animation didn't look good enough once they actually projected it onto the mist screens. You have to keep in mind that they adjusted the show once they got everything up and running in the lagoon. They kept what worked and modified what didn't.

The presentation shown at D23 was just a guidemap of what they could do, but they didn't promise that absolutely everything would make it into the final show. Although I think they did a good job in making sure that almost everything made it into the final cut (hoping Chernabog tower makes an appearance in the future.)

The Blue Carpet is ready for tonight's event

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4688744683_450c4d8ce2.jpg
-insidethemagic

Premiere party:

http://yfrog.com/74mwkj

i'm heading to the premiere in about an hour :)

TP2000

^ The latest BlueSkyDisney blog says the Alice scene was cut because the paper animation didn't look good enough once they actually projected it onto the mist screens. You have to keep in mind that they adjusted the show once they got everything up and running in the lagoon. They kept what worked and modified what didn't.

The presentation shown at D23 was just a guidemap of what they could do, but they didn't promise that absolutely everything would make it into the final show. Although I think they did a good job in making sure that almost everything made it into the final cut (hoping Chernabog tower makes an appearance in the future.)

Thank you for the kind reminder. I have a hunch that if the fans start voicing these types of concerns more, they will be forced to stop giving out preview information with such long lead times and with such detail as they did with World of Color.

Some people are acting like Disney had a written contract on what World of Color would include, and that the only reason they were going to book trips to Disneyland was to see paper cutouts of Alice figures for 90 seconds in a 27 minute water show. Alice, Herc and that Lil' Squirt concept was cut. When I first heard Steve going on about Lil' Squirt at D23 I thought "Oh, one of those high concept cutesy things that will go right over the heads of nearly everyone in the audience". :lol:

World of Color is just that, a world of color brought to life before your eyes. Ask the audience at a Fantasmic! show what the plot is for Fantasmic! and you'll get lots of blank stares, and a few comments that it's Mickey directing fountains and then lots of Disney film clips and then Mickey slays a dragon and it's happy-fun time happy ending.

What's the storyline or plot for Illuminations? Seriously, I have no idea if it has a plot and I've seen that wonderful show a dozen times.

I also never tire of people judging things via amateur video on YouTube. The comments people give after watching YouTube on their laptop for 2 minutes always cracke me up! :lol:

YouTube is a modern miracle of communication, but it can only give a tiny taste of something. And it does an absolutely horrible job of portraying night spectaculars, whether its Illuminations or Fantasmic or Fireworks or... World of Color.

hpyhnt 1000

Thank you for the kind reminder. I have a hunch that if the fans start voicing these types of concerns more, they will be forced to stop giving out preview information with such long lead times and with such detail as they did with World of Color.

Some people are acting like Disney had a written contract on what World of Color would include, and that the only reason they were going to book trips to Disneyland was to see paper cutouts of Alice figures for 90 seconds in a 27 minute water show. Alice, Herc and that Lil' Squirt concept was cut. When I first heard Steve going on about Lil' Squirt at D23 I thought "Oh, one of those high concept cutesy things that will go right over the heads of nearly everyone in the audience". :lol:

World of Color is just that, a world of color brought to life before your eyes. Ask the audience at a Fantasmic! show what the plot is for Fantasmic! and you'll get lots of blank stares, and a few comments that it's Mickey directing fountains and then lots of Disney film clips and then Mickey slays a dragon and it's happy-fun time happy ending.

What's the storyline or plot for Illuminations? Seriously, I have no idea if it has a plot and I've seen that wonderful show a dozen times.

I also never tire of people judging things via amateur video on YouTube. The comments people give after watching YouTube on their laptop for 2 minutes always cracke me up! :lol:

YouTube is a modern miracle of communication, but it can only give a tiny taste of something. And it does an absolutely horrible job of portraying night spectaculars, whether its Illuminations or Fantasmic or Fireworks or... World of Color.

Shame about Alice, but I can understand why it was cut if it didn't work on the water screens. And I also agree that the idea and purpose of Lil' Squirt would have been lost on the general public if he had made it into the final show.

However, I will say that I can kinda understand what techiegsy is saying; from the video clips I've seen, there really isn't anything to connect the various animation clips together. Its a visually stunning show, no doubt, and I agree YouTube in no way can do this show justice, but fountains and lasers aside, its still just songs and movies we've seen before spliced together into one. Without a story, its harder to explain and understand why this movie or character is in the show, but that one isn't. Its also more difficult for the audience to make an emotional connection because theres no anticipation or suspense building throughout.

And in the simplest, broadest sense, the story of Reflections of Earth is of ourselves and our planet. ;)

And I echo the call to have fun, sponono! :wave:

imagineer boy

Just saw a video of it and here are my thoughts:

I will agree that the show is definately a visual masterpiece. The useage of the fountains, the colors, the fire, it all worked splendidly. So many of the light formations on the water had me scratching my head on how they did that.

I also liked how they used a few clips from Fantasia 2000, such a vastly underrated film.

But I do have a few bones to pick with it here and there.

I agree completely that the show's format brings nothing new to the plate. Its just a basic "best of disney" type of montage we've seen in thousands of parades and shows with the same basic musical number choices. The Night on Bald Mountain part felt like an exact retread on Fantasmic.

One other little problem I had, is why are all the movies represented the most, mostly newer generation Disney movies? Why not some Walt-era classics? Sure there are a few at the end, but very briefly.

And I absolutly DETESTED the crappy pop song that played after the stampede segment. Sounded like a rejected Jonas Brothers song. :hurl:

And what happened to all the hype they were talking about with the full orchestra for the music? For the first half of the show, it used practically all audio from the films. It would've worked much better IMO if they'd simply used images from the films with no audio but with an original music occampaniment doing variations of the movie's songs.

I know all of the complaints made me sound like I hate it, but I don't! I give it a solid B. But I agree with what Sue Kruse said, its a good show but not a great show.

etwtec

The Blue Carpet is ready for tonight's event

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4688744683_450c4d8ce2.jpg
-insidethemagic

Premiere party:

http://yfrog.com/74mwkj

i'm heading to the premiere in about an hour :)

Maybe I misread or missed a post in the past.... the Chernabog tower got cut as well or is not working????

Testtrack321

The tower isn't used in the show anymore. I heard it was, like many of the other effects, not performing ideally. It's still there under the water, with nothing attached to it, so maybe in the future we'll see it.

WDWmazprty

Just got done watching the show on livestream and it was great! Bigger than Fantasmic and no live action. Just lights, water, fire, music, and of course lots of color! Great job!

disneysroyal411

It was amazing, again! I watched it two times on youtube and now live! It really touches me and gets there! I rate it a 9.5 out 10 because I felt some scenes were a little missed out on and also they should do more with the mist screens instead of just showing characters. Truly amazing though, can't wait to see it live(well in person live).

dweezil78

Absolutely loved it!!! And I'm a pretty friggin' cynical Disney fan these days. ;) Very excited to see it live as soon as I can. Makes me look at the park in a whole new way now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom