World of Color

sponono88

Original Poster
New video by Disney Parks Blog - 'World of Color' Has French Touch

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-has-french-touch/

By now, you’ve probably read enough about “World of Color” to know that it’s an amazing collaboration of water, light, color, animation, music and fire. Walt Disney Imagineers developed all these breathtaking elements for this nighttime spectacular, but they had some help from our friends in France. The very talented Fabrice Kebour and Claude Lifante spent a lot of time in California as part of the “World of Color” creative team. Fabrice is one of Europe’s leading lighting and projections designers, with more than 150 productions to his credit. Claude is a world-renowned laser designer and programmer who has worked on laser productions all over the world. Both men have worked on projects for Disneyland Paris. They’ve loved working on “World of Color” for the Disneyland Resort. I had the pleasure of interviewing both of these men. Check it out.

sponono88

Original Poster
the audio isn't great, but it's the best I could find :) it looks like the end of the show as the puppets are leaving

[youtube]Na65fbG5OJU[/youtube]

Disneyson 1

Thanks! I noticed "bubbius" (youtube name) is loading video from the show and also pre-show stuff but only has the first 2 parts up so far.

EpcotServo

I don't think I like this carnival thing...too spastic. I prefer atmospheric music waiting in the night with the crowd, so the media explosion of the show really hits hard when it starts. Anticipation. Plus shouldn't they be using that space to...ya know...Fill with people?
:lol:

sponono88

Original Poster
It looks like they're parading through the exit walkways directly behind the crowds.

I think the puppets look fantastic. It's a nice little diversion for people who've been waiting on their feet for a long time.

And they're using a new version of the 90s Party Gras parade!

TP2000

the audio isn't great, but it's the best I could find :) it looks like the end of the show as the puppets are leaving

[youtube]Na65fbG5OJU[/youtube]

I was talking to a CM in Paradise Park, and she told me these sky puppets were actually chosen very carefully. They each are chosen to represent the five colored sections of the Paradise Park Fastpass viewing areas, and she said they are going to wait for the frenzy to die down and then tie them in to each section to help people find their way to their spot while the pre-show is going on. She said for the first week or so they will just go out and dance around, but later they will tie the pre-show dancing and performance in to the colored viewing sections.

Genie = Blue Section
Tigger = Orange Section
Lumiere = Yellow Section
Woz = Green Section
Sebastian = Red Section

Pretty clever. :lol:

sponono88

Original Poster
^ those look great! i'm really going to miss those California letters.

Here's a look at the WoC billboard located at the Tram loading station, w/ new DCA logo:

IMG_8726.jpg

The World of Color Fastpass:

111939707.jpg

and a look at the WoC paint tubes that decorate the planters throughout the park

Satin Ribbon Red
IMG_8371.jpg

Blast-Off Yellow
IMG_8645.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

Rumbly Tumbly Orange
IMG_8688.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster

tirian

Based on the online videos, the show seems technically incredible, but completely disjointed. It was obvious which parts were smashed together and poorly edited to please business interests, and I lost interest by the time Johnny Depp showed up. :lol:

It's still a great boon to DCA. I'll reserve full judgment for about three weeks, when I see the show live. :D

sponono88

Original Poster
^ POTC was always planned to be in the show, it shows up in the very early concept art.

And i've said it before, but this is a show that needs to be experienced live - no HD camera will do it justice. For example, that video messed up the laser effects, and in person that effect alone makes the show extremely impressive.

tirian

^ POTC was always planned to be in the show, it shows up in the very early concept art.

I know; I didn't mean to imply POTC was a last-minute addition; and considering the programming involved, WOC was probably finalized over a year ago. Parts of the show just seem extremely disjointed, as if the transitions were chopped out (or never made).

And i've said it before, but this is a show that needs to be experienced live - no HD camera will do it justice. For example, that video messed up the laser effects, and in person that effect alone makes the show extremely impressive.
I can't wait to see it! :D From a technical standpoint, this looks like the best night show Disney has made since ROE!

Disneyson 1

I just watched the video, and boy was it amazing! I can see where some of the complaints come in, but even though it didn't flow so well, it was still good, you have to admit.

dlpwishes

I have to say, it looks & sounds incredible and I would LOVE to see it in person. But I also have to agree, that it does seem kind of disjointed. They have missed out bits even from the test-runs we've seen. Wasn't there supposed to be Go The Distance after Aladdin? You can tell which parts are meant to be there from the differences in music. It's a shame, but still an awesome show!

sponono88

Original Poster
^ Yes, there was a Hercules segment right after Aladdin. A Friend Like Me was a surprise, but I have to say it turned out to be quite an impressive scene, and one of my favorite moments in the show. loved the way they used the lasers here.

dlpwishes

Definitely! I think the part that probably flowed best, was the opening through to the end of the Nemo segment. Also, the use of Mickey's Fun Wheel worked so well.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlq3oWPdXPo watching this video back again, I'm so disappointed with the changed versions of Part of your world & A whole new world :/

I can't wait to see a video that's closer to the front.

_Scar

I have to say, it looks & sounds incredible and I would LOVE to see it in person. But I also have to agree, that it does seem kind of disjointed. They have missed out bits even from the test-runs we've seen. Wasn't there supposed to be Go The Distance after Aladdin? You can tell which parts are meant to be there from the differences in music. It's a shame, but still an awesome show!

I think Iger just tried to mess with it. IMO, I would have rather seen Hercules than Jack Sparrow, but I can see how more people like PotC.

I liked it overall though: B+/A- and I hope they give the original version a try and see what fans like better.

I loved, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the feel of the ending. It was very powerful and strong. And so were Whole New World and Pocahontas/Sprite segments.

And, on second thought, this show would not fit whatsoever in Animal Kingdom. Maybe it could work with Lion King parts and Pocahontas stuff, but it just feels very whimsical and magical rather than rugged and natural for DAK. Maybe next time DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom