World of Color

dweezil78

Had a fantastic time at DCA last night as I was there to see WoC for the first time. It's simply an amazing show that is a must-see for any Disney fan. The videos and photos do not do it justice. You cannot fully appreciate this show without seeing it firsthand -- and even then I think it will take multiple viewings to really soak (pun intended) it all in.

Personally, based on what this show is, I think trying to tie it together with some kind of story/narrative would have felt extremely forced and would have distracted viewers from the show. Enjoy it for what it is and not what you may have wanted it to be or were previously told it was. It is pure Disney magic -- something DCA has been lacking for much of its first decade.

Also, for what it's worth, I thought the whole viewing/audience wrangling process was handled very well last night -- a Saturday. I had a preferred dining pass which seemed like the best area to view the show from, but you really can't go wrong anywhere in the new park area. I got there about 45 min before showtime and things never once felt overly crowded or out of control. The pre-show was pure cheese, but my wife really enjoyed it and I thought the giant puppets were pretty damn cool tool.

I wasn't a huge fan of the whole Glow fest, but clearly it's aimed at a slightly younger audience. (I'm 32.) Lots of people seemed to be loving it though and I didn't think it was necessarily bad - just not for me.

The only downer of the entire evening was our WoC dinner at Wine Country Trattoria. For $40 a plate we got some pretty cold, bland food. My piece of beef was dry and leathery and my wife was pretty underwhelmed by the two pieces of shrimp that came in her tasteless pasta. The mini chocolate lava cakes (the only appetizing part of the dessert platter) were almost frozen too. Cold lava -- for real?

In the end though, we justified dinner by the fact we had easy access to World of Color and it at least left us full enough. :)

Bottom Line: World of Color rules and you are a sucker if you don't see it! :D

sponono88

Original Poster
Glow Fest is the sleeper hit of the summer! I really enjoy it. I've walked through there on my own just getting a kick out of all the go-go dancers and nifty lighting effects, and also spent some time there with friends having a Glowtini and dancing a bit to a good song or two. It's a blast!

The food from the catering truck is really good, too.

Glow Fest is one of those one-hit wonders that will define the summer of 2010 for us, since World of Color will be around for decades. But Glow Fest is a really fun summer party they cooked up out of nowhere!

I love the guy at the start of this Glow Fest video on YouTube... "Who needs West Hollywood anymore?!?" I couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUl_UdhIQc

yeah, Glow Fest has been a huge success for the park. although I think it's funny that the event wasn't exactly well-received by the online fan community.. But as Al reported in his latest article, Glow Fest received really high ratings from park guests -- in fact it ranked so high it even surprised TDA. The decor can look a bit odd during the day, but the transformation at night is amazing - the sound and lighting system are top-notch and the whole atmosphere is very fun and festive.

Had a fantastic time at DCA last night as I was there to see WoC for the first time. It's simply an amazing show that is a must-see for any Disney fan. The videos and photos do not do it justice. You cannot fully appreciate this show without seeing it firsthand -- and even then I think it will take multiple viewings to really soak (pun intended) it all in.

Thanks for the report/review. I've always said it but WoC is the kind of show you have to experience live. Each time I see the show I see something different I hadn't seen before. The April Showers segment, for example - the way the lasers on the water surface interact with the animation to simulate rainfall, lighting bolts flashing through the fountains, just a multitude of effects happening at once. it's something the camera lens doesn't capture. when you're actually there and immersed in the full surround sound with the fantastic visuals, it's definitely something else.

I agree about the show and the complaints regarding a story - too intricate of a story and it would have dragged down the show. The color theme is enough to keep the fast-paced action going and maintains a connection and theme throughout the show (Colors of Earth, Sea, and Sky; Colors of the Universe, etc). and the best part is that they can easily change out scenes and insert new ones as they please - it gives them endless possibilities.

TP2000

I don't miss an elaborate plotline for World of Color one bit. In my opinion, the online Disney fans criticizing the lack of story and plotline are over-analyzing things too much. It's a World of Color as seen through a Disney lens. Period. And it's amazing and fabulous and very entertaining.

I watched Steve Davison's presentation last year at D23 where he explained how Lil Squirt would appear and tie the whole show together and I thought "Oh, yeah, about 98% of the audience isn't going to get that artsy-fartsy concept or even pick up on it." :rolleyes:

I think it was a good call to phase out Lil Squirt and just go for the big Wow moments and goosebump emotion and dazzling 21st century tech.

And, yes, YouTube and profesional photos can't begin to do it justice. World of Color has to be seen to be believed.

sponono88

Original Poster
^ exactly. I think Little Squirt is the type of concept that works well on paper but doesn't translate well into the real world. They tested the concept out in the lagoon (we saw video of it) but maybe it just didn't turn out the way they intended it to.

And although color is the main theme of the show, I like to think of the quote at the beginning as the inspiration for everything that follows "Every child is blessed with a vivid imagination - Walt Disney."

I find it a bit surprising when some people bring up the alleged storyline Steven Davison presented at the D23 Expo, and how Iger supposedly came in and ruined the story. Besides the Little Squirt character, Steven never talked about a story.. the show wasn't built that way. I think this is the best description of the show:

World of Color is a thrilling celebration of the colorful worlds of Disney, re-imagined through a myriad of fantastic fountains, brilliant lights, dramatic fire, stunning sound and animated projection effects. It's an illuminating experience where a few drops of creativity catapult us through familiar sights and songs into new and amazing places. A radiant liquid tapestry splashes before our eyes, releasing a flood of Disney memories to thrill us, charm us, make us laugh, defy our fears and move us to tears.

As we reach the end of our journeys, we are immersed in an amazing rainbow of dreams that reminds us how wonderful and colorful Disney's world can be and that our own wonderful world of color is just a dream away.

the fact that the show doesn't have a defined storyline means that they can easily update the show and add new scenes without worrying about breaking up the story.

sponono88

Original Poster
A few pictures of the Carnivale of Color puppets from Dateline Disneyland. The puppets are really cool, very unique designs for each. A bouncing Tigger, Mike W. has a moving mouth, Genie has a lamp "shoe", and the flame effect for Lumiere's candles:

IMG_9216.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9173.jpg

IMG_9528.jpg

Laser Zurg

IMG_9369.jpg

I love this picture, it was posted by CoasterMatt @ MiceChat. Every night, for a few minutes Paradise Bay transforms into a fiery, blazing inferno..

4717345575_f80b0b118c_b.jpg

The Little Mermaid intro, awesome use of lasers/fountains to create waves (picture by RingOfFire)

4713240613_007d169f02_b.jpg

DocMcHulk

I just had a chance to watch a video of World of Color, my jaw is on the floor. That is really spectacular. If they dont bring that to Hollywood Studios, they're nuts.

wild01ride

As great as the show may be, as much as I love WDW, and as much as the show would be great to have in WDW, I can't see this happening any time in the foreseeable future.

First and foremost, DCA has/had an existing lagoon to accomodate this scale of show.Furthermore, the lagoon was originally set up more or less with a vista from which to see the entire lagoon, and hence, the whole WoC show.
DHS has no such lagoon or viewing area that would accomodate such a large show.
I think that part of what makes WoC so spectacular is (a) that the show is so large, and (b) that guests can "step back" far enough to get a perspective on the entire show. As amazing as Fantasmic! is, the viewing area is basically right on top of the show. It's really only practical/possible to view one segment or area at a time. It would be really hard to take it all in if there were things going on all over the Fantasmic! theater simultaneously.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea - I just don't see it as a viable option any time soon at WDW.

:wave:

sponono88

Original Poster
youtube user asianjma123 has new videos of WoC shot from the Ariel's Grotto restaurant. Although Paradise Park gives you the best view of WoC, seeing it from other viewpoints around the lagoon gives you a whole different perspective of the show.

Pirates/Firebird

[youtube]TmiiH4NWBVw[/youtube]

Night on Bald Mountain/Hellfire

[youtube]JJTP4UK7Dco[/youtube]

Spring Sprite/Pocahontas

[youtube]j38HUasvq20[/youtube]

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I wasn't exactly sure which DL thread to put this in but... what has been people's experience with the WoC picnic package? My sister and I are considering it for July 13th but she's not into any of the food choices except for one of the kids options. Would anyone care if she bought a kid meal (especially since it is the same price) and then showed up for the viewing area and she's clearly not a child? :shrug: Doesn't sound to me like it would make any difference, but I don't know if they designate on the viewing area ticket that it is for a child or not. Just curious....and super excited to finally see this show that I have been obsessing over for months. :lol:

wild01ride

I don't know for certain, but I can't imagine that there would be any problem for her to choose one of the kids options. As you said, they're the same price and beyond that, there's no reasonable explanation for distinguishing between a child and an adult.
My guess is that the main reason they have separate "kids meals" is to provide some more typical kids fare - things that an average kid would want to eat with side choices typically suited for kids, etc.
I doubt you'll have a problem.

(BTW, have fun! I'll be out there at the same time - arriving on the 13th!) :wave:

sponono88

Original Poster
tigerific - as far as I know the FP ticket is general admission, it isn't labeled as an adult or child-only ticket.

--

The World of Color Road Show is coming this July -

Have you had a chance to see “World of Color” at Disney California Adventure park?

While there’s no substitute for that nighttime spectacular, special colorful and animated changes will come to California icons in cities across the state in the “World of Color” Road Show this July. You’ll have the chance to see these cool transformations online at http://www.WorldofColorRoadShow.com.

See below for a sneak peek of what to expect. By looking at this photo, can you guess where one of our stops will be?

‘World of Color’ Road Show

Don’t forget – get the scoop and follow us online at http://www.WorldofColorRoadShow.com.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/‘world-of-color’-road-show/

sponono88

Original Poster
A Behind-the-Scenes look at the World of Color Control Room

see the video here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/behind-the-scenes-world-of-color-control-room/

Today, we’re taking you behind the scenes and going inside the control room that allows Disney cast members to run “World of Color” every night.

The production uses one of the biggest show control systems ever built. More than 18,000 active points of control are precisely managed by a single system.

In this video, Disneyland Resort Ambassador Danielle DuBois takes us into this technological marvel and speaks with Chuck Davis, Senior Technical Director.

Enjoy!

sponono88

Original Poster
The WoC Roadshow begins tonight in San Francisco @ The Palace of the Legion of Honor - tune in now to see the live webcast (starts at 9PM Pacific)

http://www.WorldofColorRoadShow.com/

edit - the live show has finished, but it's still up for viewing at the website (it will run on a loop through July 11 from 9 to 11:30PM Pacific Time). Tonight's theme was Love. Here's the full schedule of upcoming shows:

Show Themes for "World of Color" Road Show

- San Francisco: The landmark location for San Francisco is not being revealed until opening night. The first of the two Northern California shows will have a "Love" theme, featuring romantic couples from Disney and Disney-Pixar animated films. The show will be shot from several different angles for the live webcast.

Show dates and times: Wednesday, July 7 and Thursday, July 8 and will repeat continuously from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Pacific Time. Encore recorded presentations of the San Francisco show will be shown online at the same time slot on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, July 9 through 11.

- Sacramento: The theme for Sacramento will be "Nature". Forest and garden scenes from animated classics like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pocahontas, Bambi, and Alice in Wonderland will be shown in historic Old Sacramento.

Show dates and times: Live webcasts will take place Thursday through Sunday, July 15-18 from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. each evening.

- San Diego: The third stop on the road show will be the beautiful southern California city of San Diego. "Water" will be the theme for this popular coastal city. The San Diego show will project scenes from The Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, and other films on the U.S.S. Midway Museum at Navy Pier.

Show dates and times: The San Diego presentations will be shown Thursday through Sunday, July 22-July 25, from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

- Los Angeles: Los Angeles is the last stop of the California road show. The obvious landmark choice here - the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles. The final theme will be "Sky" and the theater will be illuminated by scenes from Aladdin and Fantasia.

Show dates and times: Thursday and Friday, July 29 and July 30 from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Encore recorded webcasts will be available on Saturday and Sunday, July 31 and August 1 from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

kajiholic has great pictures of tonight's show:

4774046700_7edac34942.jpg

4774046906_2a6fe0c902.jpg

4774046516_0a403ea001.jpg

4774032776_c2c720e428.jpg

Nicole220

http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/dis...orarily-cancels-world-color.html#post17347246

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140057-world-color-cancelled-tonight-7-7-10-merged.html

Reports are buzzing around the internet about tonight's cancelled performances of WoC because of the earthquake. Some say the stage has been "damaged" or "cracked." Let's hope this month old show is okay. I'd like to believe that it is nothing...I didn't even feel the earthquake today. But if this is what happens when an earthquake of this size occurs, I don't want to know what'll happen when we get bigger ones...

sponono88

Original Poster
^ there's a rumor going around Twitter that part of the platform is cracked, but that's still only a rumor at this point (someone heard it from a CM.) What i've heard is that the cancellation is just a precautionary step - they will inspect the platform for any damage and make sure everything works properly.

the good news is.. according to insider67 if something is damaged, it can be easily fixed:

IF this is true....a big if at that....the platform itself is modular and any broken/cracked pieces can be replaced rather quickly.

TP2000

Always swooping in with the latest scoop from great sources, Al Lutz has posted this late Wednesday night on the Miceage.com front page...

"Editor's Note 7/8: The full cancellation of World of Color performances Wednesday night can't be blamed on the afternoon earthquake for certain. Multiple buoys that help raise the show platform up to the waterline sprung leaks and filled with water at some point before the platform was raised Wednesday evening. The middle and left platforms weren't aligned properly when the underwater scissor lifts were commanded to lock the platforms in place, with the middle platform suffering the most damage as the two massive structures were wedged into each other at an angle causing stressed structural beams and damaged fountains. A full team of divers, engineers, and outside contractors have been brought in to assess just how bad the damage is before the repairs can begin, or even what the repairs need to be, and there's no word yet how long all that may take." - Al Lutz

Yikes. :eek:

devoy1701

Always swooping in with the latest scoop from great sources, Al Lutz has posted this late Wednesday night on the Miceage.com front page...

"Editor's Note 7/8: The full cancellation of World of Color performances Wednesday night can't be blamed on the afternoon earthquake for certain. Multiple buoys that help raise the show platform up to the waterline sprung leaks and filled with water at some point before the platform was raised Wednesday evening. The middle and left platforms weren't aligned properly when the underwater scissor lifts were commanded to lock the platforms in place, with the middle platform suffering the most damage as the two massive structures were wedged into each other at an angle causing stressed structural beams and damaged fountains. A full team of divers, engineers, and outside contractors have been brought in to assess just how bad the damage is before the repairs can begin, or even what the repairs need to be, and there's no word yet how long all that may take." - Al Lutz

Yikes. :eek:

hmmm...not good after having the showing running for only a month considering how popular the reports seem to be. Not good at all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom