World of Color

sponono88

Original Poster
^ oh, wow - thanks guys! that means a lot :) I'm definitely very excited.

- The first official preview for World of Color took place tonight - it was for the technical team and their friends+family. They had the entire Paradise Park area sectioned off, with a pretty nice setup that included two bars, and lots of snacks/drinks for those invited -- CMs looked sharp in their bowties as they got everything ready.

After a ride on TSMM at the end of the night, I caught a glimpse of the fountains -- they had all of them going with full color. Wow are they bright and colorful! Couldn't stay to watch more, as the Security CMs hurried to get everyone out of the park so the real show could begin.

- The merch for WoC looks fantastic. they will have special merch collections for APs and another for CMs.

- For those who can't make it to the June 10th media event, it will be broadcasted live that day at ustream.tv (as a Featured show).

- They released a set of trading cards at the WoC CM showcase. The cards feature the WoC/DCA expansion, with pictures and facts/figures of everything that's going on. They're pretty cool! There's a lot so I won't post all of them, but here's a couple I found interesting:

* More than 100 musicians and a choir of 100 voices are featured on the glorious soundtrack.

* The orchestrated score features more than 79,241 musical notes.

* [Paradise Park] The first outdoor Disney theater venue to utilize stair lighting built into the handrails.

* Multi-colored flashlights will be used to lead Guests to designated viewing sections, utilizing energy-saving LED technology.

* Guests will be treated to a colorful array of popcorn, cotton candy and beverage options.

* Disney's California Adventure Park will spin enough cotton candy in one year to cover Paradise Bay.

* The "Spectrum Splash" is a new beverage at quick-service restaurants, available in a "World of Colors" and flavors. Guests may add a shot of red (strawberry), blue (blueberry) or green (sour apple) to Minute Maid Light Lemonade.

sponono88

Original Poster
boy33 was in attendance at tonight's WoC preview, here's what he had to say:
I can't say enough good things about this show! I simply cannot. It's huge. It's emotional. It's loud. It's colorful. It's... EPIC!

-@boy33

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the picnic package. $14 isn't bad at all. That's cheaper than other meals I get at the resort, and it comes with a reserved spot! Quite the deal. How does one go about making a reservation for them?

and it all comes packaged in a re-usable souvenir tote bag! can't get any better than that :)

TP2000

News about World of Color is, dare I say it, just getting better and better. The meals and picnics and merch sound great.

The show itself appears to be living up to the hype. And the hype is HUGE.

sponono88

Original Poster
so this is what I saw after a ride on TSMM Friday night,

4674270528_f5ff6f6d82_b.jpg

picture by Eastman_111

tonight they held the big WDI preview party - Steve Davison was in attendance and introduced the show before it started. I heard Bob Weiss and George Kalogridis were there also.

--

an update on the new musical preshow, here's what the WoC facebook page had to say: "Hey everybody! An all new World Of Color preshow "Carnaval Of Color will take place in Paradise park with Two MC's and larger than life Puppets each representing a Color! Lumier for yellow, Tigger for orange, Sebastian for red, Genie in blue ,and Mike Wazowski in green! Carnaval of Color will be a great fun interactive experience for Guests of all ages to enjoy right before the Big show!"

I'll leave you with some reviews I found on Twitter from people who already saw the show

Saw Disney's World of Color show last night at DCA; I think it's a technological & artistic marvel rivaling fireworks and 3D movies combined - kurtklein

World of Color has the most amazing lasers I've ever seen! - boy33

Just saw a sneak peak of "World of Color" for friends and family. No words. Absolutely breathtaking. Best show since 1992's Fantasmic. :) - cdr525

I am the World of Color! Holy Crap that show is life changing. So many colors. Jellyfish! You made me ink. - xPirateDollx

WORLD OF COLOR is epic and quite lovely -- with a handful of real, honest ZOMG BBQ OMG moments. Bravo, WDI! - davecobb

Just saw a super secret World of Color premier. The bar has been raised. - katiekenner

I should have my own review up tomorrow - I'll be at the 11:15pm preview for CMs :sohappy: can't believe i'm finally going to get to see it..

TP2000

so this is what I saw after a ride on TSMM Friday night,

4674270528_f5ff6f6d82_b.jpg

picture by Eastman_111

That's a gorgeous shot! Thanks for sharing!

Thus far, the reviews leaking out (Micechat has a very lengthy one from a intelligent and witty CM that is a great read) are very positive and full of impressed reactions.

World of Color seems to be on the brink of rewriting the theme park entertainment book and raising the bar. I'm looking forward to the reviews from average people who aren't on the Disney payroll to begin coming in on Tuesday, but thus far this show is looking like it's going to be a huge hit.

DCA needed this! :animwink:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'm so glad the reviews are so great. DCA needs a home run. The merchandise doesn't really excite me, but the idea of the Carnaval of Color does. 35 days until I get to see it in person. :D

Disneyson 1

Still, from what I can tell the general consensus is that the original emotion of the show is somewhat lacking. Even still, the show seems absolutely fantastic (I mean, those reviews are still wonderful!). Can't wait for a video!

sponono88

Original Poster
I'm too tired to post a full review.. it was such a hectic night at the park. just a couple of thoughts before heading to bed.

I was in the red section, standing in the Boardwalk right at the edge of the bay. They warned us we would get wet, but it wasn't more than a light drizzle.. occasionally it would be a pretty heavy mist, but nothing too bad.

the show Fastpass system will take a bit getting used to, but I think it'll work once people get the hang of it. It was a bit confusing to figure out where to queue up, but overall they did a great job in coordinating everything. Guest Control CMs did an amazing job - kudos to them and good luck with the summer crowds due to arrive soon. Oh and I met Mary Niven today! (DCA VP) Very friendly lady, had a nice chat with her. She looked a bit stressed out though, but that's to be expected with such a crazy week up ahead.

It was completely surreal to actually be there and hear the music start.. being that close to the action was just amazing - the fog rushed in towards us during the opening scene, and you had the fountains towering high over you, with the massive heat of the flames (especially during Hellfire). As someone else put it, during the Pirates scene there was so much water fallout you felt like you were on the Black Pearl on the way to Tortuga! It was a multi-sensory, and very unique, experience really.. So many different effects going on at once, and so many great moments in the show it'd be impossible for me to cover all of them without writing up a huge post.

Overall - Loved it. Can't wait to go back and see it again.

sponono88

Original Poster
footage released by Disney shows a montage of several scenes from the show

[youtube]rMbqAcm4AgI[/youtube]

sponono88

Original Poster
World of Color Food+Merch pictures from the Disney Parks Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-with-flair/

We love showy souvenirs, and “World of Color” certainly doesn’t disappoint. Here’s a sneak peek of whimsical goodies you’ll find throughout Disney California Adventure park:

A “Pop” of Color: Popcorn wagons at Disney California Adventure park get in the fun with flavored and colored popcorn in a souvenir bucket, with tastes of cherry, blueberry and plum. Or if you prefer your popcorn plain, you can get a souvenir bucket, travel mug and sipper to carry home.

Eat ‘n Glow: Light-up cotton candy! White cotton candy with a ribbon of pink, blue or purple wraps around a light-up wand. Or just eat: the “World of Color” cupcake has raspberry filling and milk chocolate frosting with a “World of Color” chocolate image.

Drink ‘n Glow: Spectrum Splash is Minute Maid Light Lemonade with a shot of flavored syrup in strawberry, blueberry or Granny Smith apple, served in a light-up “World of Color” plastic glass. Or with a kick: the Tropical Mist cocktail features Vodka X-fusion and coconut rum topped with sprite – and a light-up swizzle stick, available only at Ariel’s Grotto, Cove Bar and Wine Country Trattoria.

If you prefer bling, a light-up bangle bracelet comes in red, blue and green. Or a “light”-er-than-air light-up glasshouse balloon.

We plan on eating popcorn with a side of cotton candy and a Spectrum Splash to wash it all down – with light-up bangle bracelets on both arms and a balloon tied to our backpack. (And a cupcake for a midnight snack.)

sponono88

Original Poster
another update from the Disney Parks Blog, with a sneak peek at the new World of Color preshow -

puppets1424_small.jpg

As guests gather each night, waiting for our dazzling new spectacular, “World of Color” to begin, they can join in the larger-than-life party atmosphere of a pre-show—a high-energy celebration that kicks off the night. This brand new nightly pre-show encourages families and friends to cheer for their favorite hues with the official “color mascots” for “World of Color.” Each mascot is a giant, imaginative Carnivale-style puppet that brings to life some of Disney’s most “colorful” characters.

And when these illuminated Sky Puppets arrive, music, energy, and color really take over! Lumiere (“Beauty and the Beast”) lights up for yellow¸ Sebastian (“The Little Mermaid”) gets folks “out of their shells” for red, and Mike Wazowksi (“Monsters, Inc.”) has his “eye” out for anyone who is hip with green. Of course, there’s no doubt about what hue Aladdin’s true blue Genie favors. What more could you wish for on a thrilling summer night?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/larger-than-life-carnivale-style-puppets-kick-off-the-party-at-world-of-color-pre-show/

TP2000

Love the Carnivale pre-show stuff! So Al Lutz was right about that too, huh? :lol:

I always appreciate that Disneyland does pre-show type stuff for their big night shows. The jazz band out on the raft at Fantasmic! is a classy touch. And now this Carnivale puppet thing for World of Color, even though it's a ticketed venue and you won't have been standing there too long.

It sure beats just sitting there with nothing to do but The Wave, like the WDW audiences generally devolve into doing out of sheer boredom. :rolleyes:

Testtrack321

Someone on MiceChat posted something very very poignant.

Fantasmic's preshow and before show events are sedated, muted, and quite. It's a palette cleanser.

So what are they doing for WoC?

COLOR! LIGHTS! SOUNDS! LOUD SOUNDS!

I think Disney should have done something different for this, but lets see. :shrug:

sponono88

Original Poster
Puppets, dancers, carnivale atmosphere - it's a live entertainment offering and that's good enough for me (we need more of that at the resort). They're trying something different with this and Glow Fest, and I for one am happy to see new additions to the park. The jazz preshow at Fantasmic is nice but, again, i'm glad they're trying something new at DCA.

sponono88

Original Poster
^ thanks for posting the link. I'm still not sure if the live stream will include the full show, or just the opening ceremony.

With tons of pictures and video coming in from several websites, it'll be hard to keep this thread updated! here's a few from MiceChat:

P1010191.jpg

P1010047_sm.jpg

P1010302.jpg

P1010304.jpg

P1010115.jpg

Carnivale of Color puppets:

sk060910d.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom