World of Color?

sponono88

Doesn't look like it's going to be much more than what they have at the Bellagio in Vegas (except that it's set to Disney music instead).

I don't even know how to start to reply to this :lol: No, this is not like the fountains in the Bellagio set to Disney music. I know 700+ posts is a lot to read but if you go back towards the beginning you will learn more about the show. Catch some of Steve Davison's presentations to see what the show will include. (multi-plane projection surfaces, flame whips, lights, projection domes, lasers, etc, etc.)

The video you quoted features testing of a couple of fountains. They're still in the programming/testing stages at this point.

Here's a compilation of some of the effects the show will included - written up by JonasClark

--POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT--
If you don't want to know what all's making up the show as far as water and light effects... well, you might want to read another thread.

For those who're curious and don't know, here's a rundown. What's on the platform, what it looks like, what it does.

--Stationary nozzles--
Grids: Arranged in a grid across the entire platform. Vertical columns with LED ring and straight smooth-bore bronze jet. Each has its own pump and hose. Produce vertical jet of variable height. Usually used to create waves across the platform. Every Grid nozzle has a thin circular tube attached to the outer edge of the LED ring, with six fog nozzles. The fog nozzles are controlled in multiple zones across the platform. Each also has a post with a tiny LED glitter strobe attached.

Chasers: Arranged in rings and arcs. Same as Grids in appearance, with bullet-shaped jet. One pump with distribution chamber feeds every five Chasers with hoses. Variable height, with fast-acting valves. LED ring.

--Whips--
All Whips are built on the same base. A pump and hose connects to a solid frame, with two drive actuators set in black plastic enclosures, placed at right angles. These drive the movable head via a ball-socket swivel, and allow motion in any direction at any speed as well as precise stationary aiming. The head connects to the base with two crossed, flexible black hoses, and they have a variable-speed pump for height changes, as do most nozzles on the platform. What differs is what's placed on top. All Water-using Whips have an LED ring attached to the head which follows the direction of spray.

Water Whip: A single, straight jet. The straight Whip jets produce a hollow stream.

Dual Water Whip, stationary fan: These have a T-shaped head below the LED ring. A valve diverts water to either the straight jet or a flat V-shaped fan spray. These are mostly on the front and back arcs, for projection use.

Dual Water Whip, motorized fan: Same as above, but the LED ring is mounted higher above the T-shaped head. The fan net is connected via belt drive to a stepper motor. When in use, the fan can be precisely stopped in any orientation, or rotated in either direction at any desired speed.

Dancer: A Dual Water Whip with motorized drive, with a three-pronged spray instead of the fan jet. Again, when in use, this three-jet spray can be stopped, or can spin in either direction at any speed. Redjag, you saw a Dancer being tested and caught it on film; the jet was not being rotated, but you saw the Whip action.

--Special effects--
Transformer: Vertical units like a Grid or Chaser, with a thick, stubby brass Elkhart firehose nozzle and a single drive in a molded black plastic enclosure standing below/beside it. The LED ring is attached with long standing supports to give the drive room to slide the nozzle shroud up and down. The hollow jet produced is a wide, misty cone in the open position and, as the shroud is lifted, closes and rises into a thick vertical jet. These have very large variable-speed pumps, and shoot the highest of any steady nozzle. Transformers are scattered seemingly randomly all across the platform.

Butterfly: These are hard to spot, but once you see one you'll know it. A long bar, attached to a rectangular frame base. Hoses enter from the back. Sides have spray bars with LED bars beneath. Two orange flat jets on front. Underneath, in the framework, is a circular metal paddlewheel with solid disc sides, and a chain drive. The two spray bars flap up and down like wings, and the two end jets form antennae. These are a prime example of how they're making every segment perfect: these are custom designs made expressly for the Pocahontas segment.

Blow Pop: Large silver tank, looks like a propane tank recessed in the platform. LED ring and hollow stream nozzle on top. Pressurized air forces water out in a powerful column. When the water runs out, there's a loud rush as the air escapes, hence "Blow Pop". There are ten of these, in a circle. Similar in effect to a WET Design 'Shooter'.

--Mist screens--
A mist screen nozzle is attached to the end of a thick pipe. Two circular plates are bolted together, leaving a 180-degree slot between them across the top. There are four on the platform.
Center mist screen: In front of forward center Blow Pop. Connected to two pumps temporarily via hoses.

Three rear screens are connected to a common off-platform pipe. A loop of flexible hose, resting on a sloped support underwater, connects to an elbow of pipe on the platform which runs to the nozzle.
Left and right screens: Between elbow and nozzle is a manifold with two valves. One sends water to the screen nozzle, the other vents it back through the platform grid for pressure relief when the nozzle isn't operating.

Center screen: This can be tilted from vertical to forward/horizontal using a rack-and-pinion system. The nozzle is located just behind the center projector platform, which has a lift under its back end so it can be tilted up to shine under the forward-aimed mist screen. Its supply manifold has four outlets; two supply the screen via hoses, one is the pressure relief, and another sends water through a narrow pipe running back off the platform for the Chernabog tower.

--Chernabog tower--
This telescoping tower has five armatures or frames, smaller at the bottom. The uppermost frame is mustache-shaped. Each frame conceals LEDs and mist sprays beneath, and has fire jets (described below) mounted on top. The five frames, bottom to top, have 1, 2, 3, 3 and 2 fire jets. The top frame has a small mist screen in the center, and two large fan jets or wings throwing outward from either side. There is a separate projector for this, under the Screamin' lift hill.

--Fire effects--
Fire jet: Scattered across the platform. Black chimney-like box on metal legs. Look near the front of the platform for some that are easy to spot. Does what it says on the tin: Either a big jet of fire (steady) or a fireball (burst).

Fire Whip: Mounted to standard Whip bases, minus the pump. Aimable fireballs, or a moving flamethrower. These are all along the back of the platform.

--Other things--
Strobes: Rectangular boxes on the platform, with clear top covers. About the size of a shoebox. NOT the large window-like boxes, which are controls. The black ribbed, tilted boxes littering the platform are also controls, not effects.

Projection domes: Eight white domes scattered across the platform, each containing a projector with a fisheye lens. These are on lifts, and can rise to varying heights, or hide in cut-outs in the platform when not in use. The domes can be oriented forward or upward. These are versatile little things. It's a planet! It's a jellyfish! It's a claw-game alien! (Ooooooo!) It's Mike Wazowski!

Projectors: Besides the twelve projectors in the 'lighthouses' at the rear of the lagoon, there are six on-platform, in three big black boxes. The center box's back end can be lowered, tilting the throw of the projector upward, presumably to project on the underside of the center rear mist screen when the nozzle is tilted forward.

That's just ON-platform. More effects are in the lighthouses, in seven hatches with extendable towers, in the viewing area planters (including fountains!) and elsewhere in and around the viewing area.

So basically.. Bellagio Fountains; Pretty fountain shows that are a couple of minutes long. World of Color; A 25 minute mega nighttime Disney spectacular :)

sponono88

Dateline Disneyland update!

Paradise Park gets greener every day!

From MousePlanet's update today:
...We reported last week "the rails in the viewing area for the World of Color were being painted last week, and it looks as if the planters are almost ready for the horticulture department to work their magic." A MousePlanet reader wrote to correct us, saying that Disney had contracted the landscaping to an outside firm. Whomever is doing the planting, the work began this week, and the park is one step closer to opening.

4429050867_6837c259f5_o.jpg

P1010451.jpg

They've started work on the boardwalk in the area close to the stage

P1010385.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

Going back to PoM - I saw this in person last week and it has a really nice sparkle effect :) All the lights on the tower twinkle -- the whole area looks great

sponono88

from Micechat..

CMs have been informed that World of Color will open June 11th. Subject to change of course.

Don't know if that means public opening or previews start on the 11th. But we'll look into it.

also read that June 11th will be the media/grand opening weekend, while soft openings should occur about a week or two before that.

Nicole220

^Yessss! Glad we have a (tentative) date. And I'll be back in Cali for good by then!

Definitely going to try and be there for opening night/soft openings, if they get leaked in time. Will it be absolute madness? Of course! But I love those kinds of things. :)

sponono88

^Yessss! Glad we have a (tentative) date. And I'll be back in Cali for good by then!

Definitely going to try and be there for opening night/soft openings, if they get leaked in time. Will it be absolute madness? Of course! But I love those kinds of things. :)

yep it's nice to finally have a date.. subject to change of course, but my countdown is ready :lol:

with most schools letting out around that time, the summer crowds, and all the APs.. it's going to be a fun, but very long and crowded summer at DCA :lookaroun

Disneyfanman

Doesn't look like it's going to be much more than what they have at the Bellagio in Vegas (except that it's set to Disney music instead).

OMG! This is going to be one amazing spectacular. Only the finished product will determine if it tops Fantasmic! (come on.....what could?), but they are sure giving it the old college try. Steve Davison has a lot of credibility in my view as well, based on his past efforts. This strikes me as a full court press, no expense spared, wonderful Disney at its Best experience.

I hope.

sponono88

World of Color will be part of this year's Summer Nightastic event!

“Summer Nightastic!” Returns
Beginning June 11, “Summer Nightastic!” returns to the Disneyland Resort, featuring exciting evening events that will electrify the night. “Summer Nightastic!” runs through Aug. 29 at Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure theme parks.

Headlining the entertainment is the new nighttime water spectacular – “World of Color” – at Disney’s California Adventure park. Surpassing all previous water productions, “World of Color” brings Disney animation to life with powerful fountains that are the stars of the show, forming the world’s largest projected water screen. In the making since 2005, “World of Color” combines hundreds of magnificent fountains, LED-produced dazzling colors, and an all-new kaleidoscope of audio and visual effects to take water-infused entertainment to a new level of artistry.

Located in Paradise Bay, Disney’s newest production features an unprecedented infrastructure of water effects, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound and stunning images. This technical wizardry, combined with classic, animated Disney and Disney•Pixar film sequences, creates an emotional experience for guests as jaw-dropping effects sweep across the lagoon and soar into the sky.

http://www.disneylandnews.com/press+releases/disneyland+offers+value+package.htm

Ziffell

OMG! This is going to be one amazing spectacular. Only the finished product will determine if it tops Fantasmic! (come on.....what could?), but they are sure giving it the old college try. Steve Davison has a lot of credibility in my view as well, based on his past efforts. This strikes me as a full court press, no expense spared, wonderful Disney at its Best experience.

I hope.

Considering all the hype, one would certainly hope that it tops Fantasmic. After all, Fantasmic is what, about 18 years old now? It was a spectacular back then, but by today's standards, not nearly as impressive anymore. If World of Color is equal to, or less than, Fantasmic then I think it will be a letdown compared to the buildup. So far nothing that's been revealed about it really seems cutting edge.

sponono88

Considering all the hype, one would certainly hope that it tops Fantasmic. After all, Fantasmic is what, about 18 years old now? It was a spectacular back then, but by today's standards, not nearly as impressive anymore. If World of Color is equal to, or less than, Fantasmic then I think it will be a letdown compared to the buildup. So far nothing that's been revealed about it really seems cutting edge.

Fantasmic has stood the test of time in my opinion. At DL, it's been provided with much-needed upgrades throughout the years and I think it still stands solid today as a nighttime spectacular.

As for WoC, i'll say this much. People are going to be blown away when they see what the show is able to do. Steve Davison has put his heart and soul into the show and he personally dubbed it the biggest show in Disney entertainment and the biggest show of his career. They spared no expense here.

From Page 4 of this thread:
Q: Steven, how does this show compared to the other shows you've done with Disney?

Steven: This will be the biggest show of my career. In scale, it's huge! It really is. This is the biggest entertainment undertaking that we've ever done in entertainment. It's bigger than Epcot. It's bigger than anything we've done in Tokyo. It's bigger than any fireworks show we've ever done. So the company is really behind it. It's funny — when we were going down the road and first pitching it, people really grasped it pretty quickly and started to understand it and what it could do, and the stories that it could tell.

see the full article here: http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/72109_NF_BN_InsideWofC.html

sponono88

From the Mattercam -

lights, fountains, and a fire inferno in Paradise Bay!

Woc265.jpg
woc266.jpg

For those who missed my other thread, he's a picture of new DLR president George Kalogridis overlooking WoC platform

kzc54u-kzc51301.n.disney.pres.js.jpg

Darkbeer's photo update should be available shortly.

sponono88

DisneuyParks Blog has a new video up showing the Paper Animation as well as more test footage of the Paper Animation being used in the show. They also mention a bigger World of Color update next week!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/paper-may-fold-into-the-waters-of-world-of-color/

probably one of my favorite WoC-Making-Of videos so far :D I love the paper animation. like Steven said, it adds a unique feel that will make it so that you're not just seeing the movie again. brilliant concept!

and that last scene in the video looks incredible - are those lasers I see? :sohappy: can't wait for next week's update.

sponono88

A small update for the viewing area (which is supposed to open up within the next few weeks.)

New hanging lanterns in the trellises

813943649_WEjRG-L.jpg

work continues on the hidden stage as they finish up the boardwalk floor

814238709_WrFTp-L.jpg

813932982_dYPte-L.jpg

813943945_NaGoN-L.jpg

thanks to MintCrocodile and Darkbeer for the pictures.

Bubble Machines?:lookaroun

I wonder if those will activate during WoC. Sheesh. That would really bring the show to you, too.

a bit of an update on this old post - looks like WoC will be using bubble machines after all. MintCrocodile captured this picture, which looks like a bubble machine facing the direction of the lagoon.. although there's only one so far, this could be confirmation that this effect will be used in the show.

814240962_GtbBR-L.jpg

Nicole220

sponono88

Another bubble update :lookaroun A poster on MiceChat reported seeing the bubble machine being tested last night. And in this photo by Ron W you can see a clear rectangular panel on the machine.. i'm thinking this could be LED lighting to illuminate the bubbles?

IMG_0213-2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom