World of Color in EPCOT?????

TP2000

From an operational standpoint i'm sure it would be cheaper to use a World of Color type show other than Fantasmic! Then it could go back to nightly performances without having to pay a cast.

What's all this talk about killing Fantasmic! so that WDW could have a World of Color??? Why can't WDW have both running nightly, multiple times per night, seven days per week? WDW is the Vacation Kingdom of the World and pulls in more customers than any other Disney property, so what's all this talk justifying lower standards?

Tonight, just a few hours from now, there's a little tiny Disney theme park property elsewhere in America that gets a fraction of the daily attendance that WDW gets, and it will present the following roster of entertainment. And they do this seven nights per week for the three months of summer, peak vacation weeks, Easter, Christmas, every weekend in winter, etc.

Nightly Entertainment in Anaheim :rolleyes: (I know kids, here I go again)

Disneyland Park open 8:00AM to Midnight
Fantasmic! 9:00 PM & 10:30 PM
Magical Fireworks Spectacular 9:30 PM

Disney California Adventure Park open 9:30 AM to 10:00 PM
World of Color 9:00 PM & 10:15 PM
elecTRONica street party 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM

That's in addition to several afternoon parades, theme bands, atmosphere performers, some Golden Horseshoe Saloon shows, Princess Fantasy Faire shows, Disney Junior Live On Stage shows, two different Disney Channel kiddie shows, character meet n' greets, nightly dancing to live bands and orchestras, All-American College Band performances, etc., etc. daily.

And Disneyland Resort is exiting those people out of all of that seven-nights-per-week nighttime spectaculars into the same exit plaza, the same parking lot tram system, the same parking lots, the same small Downtown Disney, just three (3) smaller Disney owned resort hotels, and the same urban street and freeway system in the middle of a massive global city. And yet they do this every night for customers in Anaheim.

So if little tiny Disneyland can handle this sort of workload and nightly operation and still somehow eek out a profit every year to send to the sharp pencil boys in Burbank, why couldn't WDW do exactly the same thing?

At the very least, they should give the DHS Fantasmic! the same massive technology and artistic upgrades that Disneyland got in 2008-10 and give new life to that 1990's show that is looking rather tired at DHS. Then run the thing every night, twice per night.

Then they could go ahead and dig up a new lagoon for World of Color in Animal Kingdom, and go from there. :wave:

Testtrack321

As someone who's seen both World of Color and Fantasmic! a duplicate show in the F! theater would be bad and anti-climatic.

I'm still a fan of putting it in a new lagoon in AK, adding new segments, and calling it "True Life Adventures".

DisneyED2

New thought for WofC

What if World of Color moved to DHS and Fantasmic moved with a new "Animal Themed" version to AK's Camp Minnie Mickey ?

TP2000

If the DCA/DLR people were going to be mad about a WoC clone at DHS, they would be 17 times as mad about a WoC style show going to DtD for free! Has there ever been a case of Disney giving something away for free on one coast and using it as a major draw inside a park on the other? I mean, free parking even to see this multi-million dollar show at DtD?

Why would you need to do it for free at DTD?

You would need to build a new World of Color lagoon somewhere near DTD, or at the very least carve out a new performance area off of the existing lagoon. But through the use of trees and landscaping, some grassy berms and some physical structures built into the back of the amphitheater viewing area, you would block off the main view of the show for anyone who didn't have a ticket to get in.

At DCA they have been very succesful selling World of Color dining packages, at various price points and meal options. They could do the exact same thing with DTD restaurants. They could also let some folks in to the cheap seats with just a theme park ticket used that day, perhaps with Fastpass machines giving out World of Color tickets inside the theme parks every morning, just like they do at DCA. Or Fastpass tickets distributed each morning at Disney hotel lobbies for hotel guests.

World of Color is a truly massive show that needs a very large scale piece of property to make it work. It would require some serious earth moving around the DTD lagoon area, but it's not hard to imagine how it could work there. DCA-style dining packages backfilled with regular Fastpass tickets distributed at the theme parks, or maybe the Disney hotel lobbies, and you've got yourself an instant audience that is actually spending quite a bit to see World of Color each night at the new Downtown Disney Aquacade.

Hmm... TDO would likely start getting phone calls from restauranteurs wanting to snap up space in Hyperion Wharf with that plan, that's for sure! :lol:

TP2000

Plus that would end any transportation on the lagoon and would probably mean the end of any fireworks as well.

Not a well thought out plan at all.

I don't think you'd need to give up fireworks. They've used lots of fireworks in Paradise Bay at DCA, using the World of Color platforms themselves to launch them.

Here's the six minute show DCA did this past January for New Year's Eve. There's a lot of pyro launching from behind the ferris wheel directly over the lagoon, and then a lot more being launched in the lagoon itself, particularly after the 2:00 minute mark in the video. The finale' has a ton of lagoon-launched pyro.

And they did this NYE Midnight show after they had already done two World of Color shows earlier that night. And then at 12:07AM on New Years Eve, they performed the third World of Color of that night, immediately after the Midnight celebration and fireworks show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8qQGJ5Ezs&feature=related

An impressive bit of showmanship there, using the World of Color infrastructure and equipment.

This New Years Eve event was such a hit, Al Lutz on Miceage has stated they are creating a special patriotic version of World of Color that will debut next month at DCA for the 4th of July weekend. It will include pyrotechnics as well.

Fireworks and World of Color equipment apparently work together quite nicely.

raven

Why would you need to do it for free at DTD?

You would need to build a new World of Color lagoon somewhere near DTD, or at the very least carve out a new performance area off of the existing lagoon. But through the use of trees and landscaping, some grassy berms and some physical structures built into the back of the amphitheater viewing area, you would block off the main view of the show for anyone who didn't have a ticket to get in.

At DCA they have been very succesful selling World of Color dining packages, at various price points and meal options. They could do the exact same thing with DTD restaurants. They could also let some folks in to the cheap seats with just a theme park ticket used that day, perhaps with Fastpass machines giving out World of Color tickets inside the theme parks every morning, just like they do at DCA. Or Fastpass tickets distributed each morning at Disney hotel lobbies for hotel guests.

World of Color is a truly massive show that needs a very large scale piece of property to make it work. It would require some serious earth moving around the DTD lagoon area, but it's not hard to imagine how it could work there. DCA-style dining packages backfilled with regular Fastpass tickets distributed at the theme parks, or maybe the Disney hotel lobbies, and you've got yourself an instant audience that is actually spending quite a bit to see World of Color each night at the new Downtown Disney Aquacade.

Hmm... TDO would likely start getting phone calls from restauranteurs wanting to snap up space in Hyperion Wharf with that plan, that's for sure! :lol:

I like your thinking here and that it's outside of the box. But remember, WDI askes "why does it have to be a box?" :animwink:

JustInTime

:lol:
I get it. Took me a minute...but I get it.
(Bit of an inside joke...)

Funny how the more people think about it, they drift in the right general direction.

Obviously this is a joke about DHS. The park is "right" heavy. All the major attractions are located in one area. It's a total nightmare. This leads me to believe that the place Raven, Lee and Martin are talking about is in fact the fantasmic area. Which goes with the long standing rumor that Fantasmic may be phased out. I am not sure how I feel about that. I would rather it go into Animal Kingdom. And theme it around real footage of Animals. It worked for illuminations...

raven

Obviously this is a joke about DHS. The park is "right" heavy. All the major attractions are located in one area. It's a total nightmare. This leads me to believe that the place Raven, Lee and Martin are talking about is in fact the fantasmic area. Which goes with the long standing rumor that Fantasmic may be phased out. I am not sure how I feel about that. I would rather it go into Animal Kingdom. And theme it around real footage of Animals. It worked for illuminations...

Fantasmic is still a great show and pulls HUGE crowds. It could be updated by taking out the Pocahontas portion of the show and putting in something more with staying power like they have over in DL. Peter Pan was a great idea for DL but they also have the area to hold another large boat (pirate ship) unlike the DHS installment. They'd need to be able to make a stage production of that section of the show more than it be another large barge.

PalisadesPkteer

OK. I got it!

They will put it into Flamingo Crossings! LOL

Guessing from what Raven said they will need to build a "lake" location for it.

lets see....

1. Replace River Country with it (the comment about new traffic problems makes this a slim possibility)
2. Maybe it does go to Flamingo Crossings???
3. Put it on the old closed Discovery Island?? (an other traffic problem)
4. Build new area for it at / near DTD as mentioned by others.
5. Wide World of Sports area?
6. AK, well could replace CMM or in that area.
7. Expansion plot in MK

Thoughts??

flavious27

I cant see WoC coming to Epoct as it is in DCA.

But i can see the fountain technology making it into the next updated version of RoE.

WoC makes more sense, (both thematically and businesswise) coming to DHS or AK.

However for it to g into either park would require a new area set up just for the show, not impossible, but not something i see coming as anything less than part of a major land expansion on the scale of Everest/FLE.

Maybe an Atlantis themed land to AK, perfect reason to build a lake?

I don't see it fitting well into dak.

JustInTime

Fantasmic is still a great show and pulls HUGE crowds. It could be updated by taking out the Pocahontas portion of the show and putting in something more with staying power like they have over in DL. Peter Pan was a great idea for DL but they also have the area to hold another large boat (pirate ship) unlike the DHS installment. They'd need to be able to make a stage production of that section of the show more than it be another large barge.

But that is where you were talking about, no?

And I agree with you. I would love a major Fantismic update.

flavious27

Wouldn't the Fantasmic location be a logical landing spot? The show needs some reworking. Also doesn't Rivers of America have a concrete bottom. Maybe they could incorporate WOC if they redo the Tom Sawyer Island area. :shrug: I guess the only problem with that would be a viewing area of the show.
I think the best solution is two use the technology and make a unique show to WDW at the Studios. That makes the most sense to me.

Well it would, the hollywood hills amphitheater is large enough. I see a problem with another cloned show being dumped at dhs.

RSoxNo1

I know you like that spot, but it makes far more sense at the current location of Camp Minnie Mickey. Can you imagine getting 10K people out on those winding trails at night from the back of the park?

Short of getting rid of the Maharajah Jungle Trek or building an Asian equivalent of Kilimanjaro Safaris, that large area behind Kali is very inaccessible. People have suggested that its the future home of Australia, but I just don't see it. A nighttime show that would only be accessed via long entrance and exit queues may be the most logical usage of that land.

I agree with a couple of your points.

1) Fantasmic doesn't need to be replaced, and I'm not sure why some people are quick to be OK with that. AK is the only part without a nighttime show. Fantasmic is definitely popular. And Disneyland successfully plays both shows in 2 separate parks. Though with accessibility issues at Disneyland vs WDW, I think that unless the 2 play on alternate schedules that a new nighttime show on the scale of WoC would canibalize attendence at F!

2) A Nighttime show at AK would be a great addition and I would think do wonders for the turnstyles. While it would be great if it was accompanied by 1or 2 new attractions, it would definitely be a win for AK.

3) I agree Camp Minnie Mickey would be a better location to get people in and out of. Plus it's farther away from the animal displays then the rumored Australia expansion plot. But keep in mind they do the same thing with the Amphitheater that Fantasmic is in (winding 10k people down a long pathway to get people in and out).

Camp Minnie Mickey needs to be re-worked with attractions that can be enjoyed all day. This isn't a situation where it's "at the front of the park". Camp Minnie Mickey is probably a bit further away from the entrance to AK as Adventureland is to the Magic Kingdom entrance. This isn't a situation like Soarin' at DCA.

Could happen to be in a lake that doesn't even exist yet. :animwink:

The bodies of water I've heard for a World of Color type show are as follows:

• Existing Fantasmic body of water: This is probably the most logical
  • The body of water in front of Everest: The river would have to be drained and separated from the rest of the body of water. It would also be a viewing nightmare
  • Near the Friendship Boat Dock: Again, this would require re-working of an existing water way

I assume none of our insiders are going to share too many details until more definitive information is available.

JimboJones123

How about this--

In Epcot. Not the lagoon.

Use the other waterway areas in Future World.

I HATE the "show" of WoC. Love the post show where the fountains are just dang pretty.

I could see the technology being used as sustained atmosphere much like the big fountain in FW. Add some brilliant music and theming, and the kinetic energy of future world explodes with brilliance.

Admiral01

Premium Member
This is where we separate the show's technology from the show itself. WOC does not belong in EPCOT, but the fountain technology could fit in well. I am very happy to have the "World of Color" show be exclusive to DCA. It works with the surroundings of the park, and sitting in the Cove Bar getting a drink and lobster nachos during the show is great. After a long day of riding Forbidden Eye and Soarin' with the short line, it is one of my favorite things to do.

At EPCOT, the fountains could indeed bring some additional kinetic energy to Future World fountains and water areas. The section of water near the Odyssey, which I believe is (or could be) separated from the rest of the lagoon, seems like a great spot to have some fountains. The water over near Imagination could fit thematically to having the fountains. But the show itself doesn't fit in EPCOT.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Neither will happen. The water cannot be muddy from a natural bottom lake. WOC uses a man made concrete lagoon. There is a lot of things happening just below the waters surface.

Oh, well if Disney ever gets rid of Fantasmic, or have both shows run 1 week and switch the next, would that work? Is it a muddy lake?

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom