World of Color in EPCOT?????

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't care for the "new" Illuminations. They had a version in the early to mid 90's that encompassed far more fireworks being used and incorporated some really incredible classical music and some of the national anthems from all the countries. Each country would light up as its anthem was played as well. It was incredible, and i miss it dearly. The new show just doesn't contain the heart that one did.

This is a classic case of remembering things to be more than they were. The new show, Reflections of Earth uses more fireworks than the previous show, twice the amount in fact.

NoChesterHester

I don't care for the "new" Illuminations. They had a version in the early to mid 90's that encompassed far more fireworks being used and incorporated some really incredible classical music and some of the national anthems from all the countries. Each country would light up as its anthem was played as well. It was incredible, and i miss it dearly. The new show just doesn't contain the heart that one did.

Totally agree. The original show with the laser lights and classical music was the best. I don't fear change and understand it but I wish the show went back to spotlighting each country. :animwink:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I really hope you are both kidding.

Reflections of Earth is the finest piece of original music that exists in the Florida Parks today. It is instantaneously recognizable. While you may have like "more" fireworks, the previous incarnations of illuminations merely timed fireworks and lights to classical pieces. It was fun, but hardly awe inspiring. Hardly the story arc we have in today's show.

baymenxpac

Reflections of Earth is the finest piece of original music that exists in the Florida Parks today. It is instantaneously recognizable. While you may have like "more" fireworks, the previous incarnations of illuminations merely timed fireworks and lights to classical pieces. It was fun, but hardly awe inspiring. Hardly the story arc we have in today's show.

couldn't agree more on the music. reflections of earth is wonderfully composed and instantly recognizable.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
couldn't agree more on the music. reflections of earth is wonderfully composed and instantly recognizable.

Spot on!!! ROE is simply brilliant!!
Of all FireWork shows at WDW (Wishes, Fantasmic, Illuminations) Illuuminations is the last one TDO should worry about! Wishes and Fantasmic need overhauling first!!!

Epcotbob

I personally think ROE is the best fireworks show on property. The story, the narrative, the symbolism, the earth globe, the especially the music is all incredible. I very much want them to keep the show the same. However, WOC type fountains would be very welcome in the slow middle section.

And if they were to bring WOC to WDW, then replace the lackluster version of Fantasmic with it.

Completely agree! ROE is a beautiful choreography of Music, Fireworks and lights. But an upgrade of the middle fountains section would be welcome.

flavious27

I`ve touched on it before, basically build an arc of DTD to the SE of PI to contain traffic flow in the mall area between the Marketplace and Westside. Basically extend DTDs shops into a PI bypass. Which would have called on a radical rethink of vehicle flow and parking as Raven just mentioned.

Edit; here`s how it was explained to me:

I was thinking about that on one of the PI threads.

frontrestrow.png

This would be the missing link between marketplace east and the west end.

restrowdtd.png

This would be a restaurants row north west of the west end, it could be just filled with celeb chefs' restaurants.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm dead serious. It's not just me either, my family also thinks the new show lacks the heart of the old one. The old one celebrated every country and had amazing music. This new one just doesn't feel as in place with World Showcase anymore. I don't go gaga about the music either, it's good and all, but nothing beats the classic tunes and national anthems the old one had. And i don't like the music they play when showing the video on the ball either. The only music i love the the celtic style pre-show tune before the show even starts.

I'm not trying to be a troll, so don't pin me as one. I LIKE the new one, i just don't love it. Old one was definitely a love. We'd go out of our way to get over to Epcot just to see it if we weren't already there. This new one though, maybe once a trip we'll choose to see it. It's no longer a priority to go out of our way to see it.

I also find it hard to believe that the new version has more fireworks. Both my mother and myself feel it has less, and looking back at old videos still makes it seem like the old show had more-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXM9dIvOMY

Maybe the show is longer or something now, but the fireworks are more spread out? Dunno. I guess it would surprise people to know that i like both Wishes and even our version of Fantasmic (and i have SERIOUS gripes with Fantasmic).

I'd really like a way where we can have both the new music AND the old stuff. It's mostly the classical music i love.

NoChesterHester

I was thinking about that on one of the PI threads.

frontrestrow.png

This would be the missing link between marketplace east and the west end.

restrowdtd.png

This would be a restaurants row north west of the west end, it could be just filled with celeb chefs' restaurants.

It is going to have to be more integrated then that. Imagine the backdrop... a parking lot.

blm07

Just add WOC nozzles during the part where the globe comes out, and make the lasers look less like a pointless mess. I mean, one laser pointing from Canada and random laser dots on SE during the show just doesn't cut it.

OldAndBusted

Decentralized WoC

Once upon a time, before the price got too high and the benefits stripped, my wife and I attended Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom at WDW. One of the things that caught my attention was the fireworks. During the climax, they launched fireworks from the entire circumference of the park. There were literally red and green sparkles all around us. It was very cool.

And that's the idea I think I'd like to see for a WDW-based World of Color show. Instead of one central location, one condensed viewing area - distribute it. Let the show take place all over the chosen park. For instance, if the show were intended for the Magic Kingdom, then all existing waterways should be used. Fountains, water screens, projectors, speakers, etc. should be placed in all existing waterways. This would include the Rivers of America and the old Swan boat track. Perhaps a new lazy river type waterway could be created to span Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. Rather than the one central show, there'd be a dozen different shows. The entire park becomes the viewing area. No more crowding into Main Street just to see the show. Watch it from anywhere. You'd see a new show each night depending on from which you watched the show. Repeatability would be high.

Just another 2 cents worth of dreams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom