World of Color in EPCOT?????

NoChesterHester

I don't have any info on this other than speculation... The body of water that seems the most logical is the Fantasmic body of water. Another possibility would be to create a new body of water - my suggestion for this has been the area behind Kali River Rapids.

I know you like that spot, but it makes far more sense at the current location of Camp Minnie Mickey. Can you imagine getting 10K people out on those winding trails at night from the back of the park?

NoChesterHester

Replacing Fantasmic makes sense to me. You can shut it down and customize the space as needed.

I also would love to see some WoC technology used in the moat around cinderella castle and where the swan boats used to travel. not as a show per se, but just for some additional magic.

It isn't like Fantasmic is bad, or even playing to a partially filled stadium. I would add that until Fantasmic was introduced there wasn't a reason for many to stay late at the Studios.

My point is only that the Studios, Epcot, and MK all have a very successful nighttime closing show. People stay late at each to ride rides, shop, eat, and play just to watch them. AK needs the same.

devoy1701

I know you like that spot, but it makes far more sense at the current location of Camp Minnie Mickey. Can you imagine getting 10K people out on those winding trails at night from the back of the park?

I agree with a couple of your points.

1) Fantasmic doesn't need to be replaced, and I'm not sure why some people are quick to be OK with that. AK is the only part without a nighttime show. Fantasmic is definitely popular. And Disneyland successfully plays both shows in 2 separate parks. Though with accessibility issues at Disneyland vs WDW, I think that unless the 2 play on alternate schedules that a new nighttime show on the scale of WoC would canibalize attendence at F!

2) A Nighttime show at AK would be a great addition and I would think do wonders for the turnstyles. While it would be great if it was accompanied by 1or 2 new attractions, it would definitely be a win for AK.

3) I agree Camp Minnie Mickey would be a better location to get people in and out of. Plus it's farther away from the animal displays then the rumored Australia expansion plot. But keep in mind they do the same thing with the Amphitheater that Fantasmic is in (winding 10k people down a long pathway to get people in and out).

wdwfan22

From an operational standpoint i'm sure it would be cheaper to use a World of Color type show other than Fantasmic! Then it could go back to nightly performances without having to pay a cast.

raven

I sure would love that World of Color show somewhere at WDW. Not sure where it would fit, but somewhere would be a great addition.

Could happen to be in a lake that doesn't even exist yet. :animwink:

I agree with the general sentiments on here. First off, WoC will not (or at least should not) come to EPCOT (wrong theme), MK (would require another expansion), or AK (wrong theme again). That leaves DHS, which currently has Fanstasmic. This park would surely fit the theme, and also, yeah, they could use the Fantasmic theater. However, if I were the TDO, I think I would pick Downtown Disney. From a business perspective, you have these shops, restaurants, ect. that are often open later than the parks, what better way to get people there than a show! I know I would head over to DD for a show, and then the people are most likely going to shop, and eat, ect. This would be a great addition!

I know people are saying the lake is a problem, and yes, they are correct. However, bringing this show would be a pretty big project, not something where they would just "drop it in and hit go". So I am sure they can find a solution, possibly even make an expansion for it.

On the other hand, I guess it can also be considered, would Disney want a show outside of their parks? They'd be competing with Cirque, and I am sure they would rather you eat dinner in the parks. Also, logistically, how would admission work? Would you need a theme park ticket to get into the show? Would they want to allow anyone and everyone to come and see it, in hopes of those people shopping and eating?

That's my two cents for now! Love to hear what you guys think!

Those are some very valuable pennies you have there.

_Scar

:eek:

So..... those valuable pennies could be either:

1.) It would go to MK which would require an expansion

or

2.) DD gets it... which would be quite a surprising expansion imo

:sohappy:

Just the possibility is exciting though! Thanks Raven :)

bryPOD

I would hope this show would come to DHS (as it fits the theme perfectly).

I wonder if TDO would be willing to build an indoor area for WOC to have multiple shows a day, rather than just one nightly show...

allgar

While I agree that AK doesn't have much for a night time draw, I really don't believe that it's by accident. The park just doesn't seem designed to me as a night time venue. Not certain why TDO would EVER look to change that. IMHO AK is not going to get ANY night time shows, regardless of whether it would attract people or not. Simply put there are enough places for us all to go for the nights.

As to where the technology might fit for a WoC type experience at WDW... well my guess in order of likelihood is:

- Downtown Disney - a place where the company can make a lot of money by attracting people at night. Regardless if it's a free show, and i seem to recall there used to be a charge for Pleasure Island (am I wrong), so maybe they would look to do something similar and have a paid area (covercharge at night) where they would put the show.
- DHS - Fantasmic is expensive, there is a lot of actors in that show, WoC has none and can be updated OFTEN. When I was there a couple weeks ago, the show prominently featured Pirates - On Stranger Tides. I understand previous shows had Tron in it, that was gone when we saw the WoC. It's a great arena that they have at DHS and it's sitting empty far too often. Maybe they would look to alternate nights? Not sure how problematic the extra fountains in the water would be for the Fantasmic barges.
- MK, simply put, there are parades and fireworks (and even the pictures on the castle now) but there is no "real" nightime show. Would be interesting to see if they could make it work in the Rivers of America. That's where the DL Fantasmic takes place and for those who have been there, it's not like there is a big stadium seating place, just standing/sitting room on the walkways.
- Epcot, not sure why they would, but more likely then:
- AK, while we may really want them to make this a park with a raison d'etre for the nightime, I just don't see that ever happening. It's a park predicated on being a zoo, take away the animals and you haven't got much left.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Awesome!

It just makes so much sense to me at DTD. I think that Disney would KILL to have a draw like this to DTD, even enough to give it away "for free". Think of the people it would draw to DTD each night it runs. Of those people, I'd bet a high percentage of those would do one or more of the following:
a) eat at a DTD restaurant
b) get a snack from a snack stand
c) shop in a store
d) stick around for nightlife (get a drink, dance, etc)

I mean, if I haul myself and my family over to DTD, either if I'm staying at the resort, or offsite, or even an Orlando local, I'm at least going to spend a few more minutes there after the show.

Also, think of the ability to draw in 3rd party venues to their Hyperion Wharf project (that people tend to think they are having issues with right now), if they could tout a free nightly, or few time a week, spectacular show that would bring in the crowds. They could charge top dollar to any venue that has facing windows to the lagoon.

Probably would be a good draw for DTD area resorts as well. I know I'd love to be able to boat over from Port Orleans and catch it.

baymenxpac

Thanks! Given your reputation around here, that is a much appreciated compliment!

that was a high quality post you made, guitarman.

i would vote for DD. i truly enjoy fantasmic and try to do it every time i'm there, so i can't say i would be thrilled if it replaced it at the studios.

here's to hoping this comes to fruition!

devoy1701

Really? That would introduce a whole new traffic pattern for the resort as a whole...

I didn`t think TDO could think like that.

That's why they rely on others to do the planning. They just say "yea" or "nea."

I'm just going out on a limb here and will say it sounds like a similar show is coming to DTD. Judging my Raven's comments previously and her compliments on other posters' coments, and Martin saying that a whole new traffic pattern will be needed for the resort...i'm guessing that comment is relating the need of additional capacity to be able to get people to and from Downtown Disney for such a high traffic show.

That's just what I'm deducing. I could be way off... it has been a long day!

And if this is all true, I hope that TDO stays the course with this one and is announced over the next couple months. Would hate to see such a huge prospect like this one be shelved.

baymenxpac

I'm just going out on a limb here and will say it sounds like a similar show is coming to DTD. Judging my Raven's comments previously and her compliments on other posters' coments, and Martin saying that a whole new traffic pattern will be needed for the resort...i'm guessing that comment is relating the need of additional capacity to be able to get people to and from Downtown Disney for such a high traffic show.

That's just what I'm deducing. I could be way off... it has been a long day!

And if this is all true, I hope that TDO stays the course with this one and is announced over the next couple months. Would hate to see such a huge prospect like this one be shelved.

i agree. wouldn't placing this at DTD also make HW much more attractive for potential third party vendors? if HW is going to be full third party like we've heard on the board before, i bet disney would have a very easy sell if they could guarantee them a captive audience in the area every single night.

Lee

Adventurer
Really? That would introduce a whole new traffic pattern for the resort as a whole...

I didn`t think TDO could think like that.

:lol:
I get it. Took me a minute...but I get it.
(Bit of an inside joke...)

Funny how the more people think about it, they drift in the right general direction.

Cosmic Commando

If the DCA/DLR people were going to be mad about a WoC clone at DHS, they would be 17 times as mad about a WoC style show going to DtD for free! Has there ever been a case of Disney giving something away for free on one coast and using it as a major draw inside a park on the other? I mean, free parking even to see this multi-million dollar show at DtD?

Not to say that there would be no benefit to putting it at DtD, but the math gets too complicated. Putting in this show will theoretically let them charge higher rents (although who knows what will happen during another recession), and people will spend money there and Disney owns some of those stores. Put it in a theme park and they own (almost) all of the restaurants/stores there, more admission, more parking, more people buying park hopper.

Maybe this "new traffic pattern" would be people actually going to DAK at night? I remember hearing somewhere that the VP there was interested in the show...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom