World of Color in EPCOT?????

skimbob

I watched them work on WOC at DCA and like many others have said it will not work at most of the venues at WDW. I love Illuminations and would hate to see anything replace it. It would ruin Epcot for me.

I personally like to see different things in the parks. It gives me a reason to come to FL.

Cosmic Commando

Why would you need to do it for free at DTD?

You would need to build a new World of Color lagoon somewhere near DTD, or at the very least carve out a new performance area off of the existing lagoon. But through the use of trees and landscaping, some grassy berms and some physical structures built into the back of the amphitheater viewing area, you would block off the main view of the show for anyone who didn't have a ticket to get in.

At DCA they have been very succesful selling World of Color dining packages, at various price points and meal options. They could do the exact same thing with DTD restaurants. They could also let some folks in to the cheap seats with just a theme park ticket used that day, perhaps with Fastpass machines giving out World of Color tickets inside the theme parks every morning, just like they do at DCA. Or Fastpass tickets distributed each morning at Disney hotel lobbies for hotel guests.

World of Color is a truly massive show that needs a very large scale piece of property to make it work. It would require some serious earth moving around the DTD lagoon area, but it's not hard to imagine how it could work there. DCA-style dining packages backfilled with regular Fastpass tickets distributed at the theme parks, or maybe the Disney hotel lobbies, and you've got yourself an instant audience that is actually spending quite a bit to see World of Color each night at the new Downtown Disney Aquacade.

Hmm... TDO would likely start getting phone calls from restauranteurs wanting to snap up space in Hyperion Wharf with that plan, that's for sure! :lol:

...or do it at DAK and those people will be buying dinner packages from Mickey Mouse, not Wolfgang Puck. While paying admission.

Every time I've been to DtD at night, it's been ridiculously crowded. You need a helmet and shoulder pads to wade through the sea of people at World of Disney. I just really can't believe they would do this at DtD. If they want to make DtD more attractive to people with disposable income, they should just build a one-of-a-kind adult-oriented entertainment zone with heavily themed nightclubs, alcohol slinging around like crazy, streetmosphere and the ability to celebrate New Year's Eve every night.

P.S. While typing that last bit out, I realized how much PI sounds like the wildly profitable Glowfest/Electronica at DCA: adult-oriented, music, dancing, street performers, themed entertainment, $12 mixed drinks flowing freely...

TP2000

P.S. While typing that last bit out, I realized how much PI sounds like the wildly profitable Glowfest/Electronica at DCA: adult-oriented, music, dancing, street performers, themed entertainment, $12 mixed drinks flowing freely...

Yes, they are similar. Except elecTRONica requires a theme park admission ticket and 15 dollar parking, while DTD requires no admission ticket and offers free parking. So what does that mean exactly? :confused:

jt04

Yes, they are similar. Except elecTRONica requires a theme park admission ticket and 15 dollar parking, while DTD requires no admission ticket and offers free parking. So what does that mean exactly? :confused:

I think it means any similar offering at WDW would be in the parks and not at DTD. So while DTD might have some sort of nightly celebration, I would be suprised if it is on the scale of ElecTRONica. As for WOC at DTD, I just don't think it would work due to space limitations.

The idea of putting WoC in the IJ stadium is an interesting idea. There is certainly plenty of space and the fact that the seating is covered makes it even more of a compelling idea.

So, I think there are three possibilities. Converting either the Fantasmic stadium or the Indiana Jones stadium to WoC. Or converting the FoN to WoC technology and engineering the former Communicore Plaza in Future World so that it can host a nightly ElecTRONica type event which could possibly run for 2 or 3 hours after Illuminations. I could see where such an event could be quite profitable.

raven

As for WOC at DTD, I just don't think it would work due to space limitations.

DTD has plenty of space to expand. You may only looking at the current space occupied by buildings but look at the parking lots as well. Just look at the large, mainly unused, lot on the far side of Cirque. I'm surprised this prime property has been just sitting there for so long.

Lee

Adventurer
So, I think there are three possibilities. Converting either the Fantasmic stadium or the Indiana Jones stadium to WoC. Or converting the FoN to WoC technology and engineering the former Communicore Plaza in Future World so that it can host a nightly ElecTRONica type event which could possibly run for 2 or 3 hours after Illuminations. I could see where such an event could be quite profitable.
Sorry...0 for 3 there.
None of those locations are being considered for a WoC type show.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
DTD has plenty of space to expand. You may only looking at the current space occupied by buildings but look at the parking lots as well. Just look at the large, mainly unused, lot on the far side of Cirque. I'm surprised this prime property has been just sitting there for so long.

That was my first though upon looking at Google Maps. It does seem kind of "out of the way" in terms of bringing in business to the rest of DTD, but I guess they could keep expanding on the waterfront area near Cirque to continue the flow with shops and restaurants. If they expanded the boat traffic they could help folks easily get from the Marketplace (and HW) over to the new expansion area as well.

jt04

If HW is at all what it can be then they will need all the parking the currently have. I realize a WoC could fit behind Cirque but that is so far from the established areas at DTD that it seems quite unlikely to me that there would be any advantage whatsoever to locating it there. The only place I could possibly imagine them considering is a much smaller version where the grassy area is now. I just don't think they would use that area though since it has so much potential as seen in the HW concept art.

My personal favorite idea though is to convert the FoN into a miniature WoC with the LED's and turning the the current Innoventions Plaza into a space worthy of Future World. With the original architecture, the FoN, and the iconic SSE and monorails passing nearby there is limitless potential for creating something extraordinary.

menamechris

If HW is at all what it can be then they will need all the parking the currently have.

And here we go....sigh...

My personal favorite idea though is to convert the FoN into a miniature WoC with the LED's and turning the the current Innoventions Plaza into a space worthy of Future World. With the original architecture, the FoN, and the iconic SSE and monorails passing nearby there is limitless potential for creating something extraordinary.

Unfortunately, it would still be at the expense of Illuminations. With Daylight Savings Time, it doesn't get dark enough until 8:30-9, and the park closes at 9. So unless they are planning to permanently extend hours there (which seems highly unlikely), there is just no time for it...

yoyoflamingo

If it is put in DTD, it might help attract people to buy into the Saratoga Springs DVC, which still is unsold, since it's location is so far separated, besides its huge inventory.

A special package for people staying/home resort there might add some attraction to buying into that resort.

menamechris

If it is put in DTD, it might help attract people to buy into the Saratoga Springs DVC, which still is unsold, since it's location is so far separated, besides its huge inventory.

A special package for people staying/home resort there might add some attraction to buying into that resort.

I can't imagine that being the motivation for something like this... Nor do I think it would make Saratoga Springs that much more appealing to potential buyers. Just my opinion... :)

PhilharMagician

SSR did sell out. Once the tree houses were rebuilt and added to the SSR inventory then the points that were available for those tree houses went on sale and are still available. SSR sales have been doing ok since they are competing against BLT and AKLV Kidani which are superior resorts in their own rights.

ryanduggers

That would finally bring people to the Westside...

Gregoryp73

Sorry...0 for 3 there.
None of those locations are being considered for a WoC type show.

The only other spots I could possibly think of then is FW over at the MK (maybe a replacement for the motorway, or a replacement for the parking-lot behind COP) although I would think this would be a main competition for the fireworks display.

And then as people have mentioned before, over at animal kingdom in the section cleared out behind camp mini-mickey (google maps are fun :p)....this would level out the park, but unfortunately, the park closes sometimes at dusk...so there really isn't too many shows that can be held.

And then there is the blue-sky thought of it coming as a part of a Disney-Sea 5th gate...which is a giant no.

All of these options seem like a much more expensive endeavor than replacing IJ stunt show or fantasmic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom