• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

TTA94

According to Twitter, SWO had a soft open for passholders for Electric Ocean and Ignite(have not seeen Shamu Light Up The Night yet so IDK if that's tonight), as I expected Ignite is #2 over USO but a STRONG #2!!!!! Put Cindy's Castle, MK's high pyro department and HEA's Soundtack in Bayside Statum and it'll be better than what's in MK Park now!

Ignite is a pretty good show. If they added moving fountains and mist screens they would come close to WoC! They could also add in animal barges like RoL.

If IOA ever gets a nighttime show I'd be shocked if it wasn't on par with WoC Plus fireworks. Also wouldn't surprise me if we get a Epcot Illuminations upgrade and IOA nighttime show battle in a couple years.

jrhwdw

Ignite is a pretty good show. If they added moving fountains and mist screens they would come close to WoC! They could also add in animal barges like RoL.

If IOA ever gets a nighttime show I'd be shocked if it wasn't on par with WoC Plus fireworks. Also wouldn't surprise me if we get a Epcot Illuminations upgrade and IOA nighttime show battle in a couple years.
I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just wondering about the logistics, Can IOA handle a night show??? I don't believe they've ever had one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Might be more likely to see EPCOT and SWO battle if SWO wants to go up from Ignite in a couple years and not give Ignite a long life.

TTA94

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just wondering about the logistics, Can IOA handle a night show??? I don't believe they've ever had one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Might be more likely to see EPCOT and SWO battle if SWO wants to go up from Ignite in a couple years and not give Ignite a long life.

I believe IOA was rumored to get a nighttime show. If it still is idk.

hpyhnt 1000

IoA definitely had a nighttime show in the past, in the early 2000s. I distinctly remember watching it from along the lagoon near Mythos.

And some video on YouTube...

donsullivan

Premium Member

IOA hasn't had as much nighttime entertainment but they have had shows over the years at USO. Historically they've wrestled with a common problem whenever they've tried to use a lot of pyro in those shows. With the close proximity to residential neighborhoods and the residents that predate the construction of the parks, fallout from that pyro in the residential areas has been a challenge for them. They've had problems with debris from the fireworks landing on those residential properties and the complaints that resulted from that. Some neighbors (one in particular) have reported flaming embers landing in their, or their neighbors yards and reported it to the police and fire department. I'm unaware of any actual fires or damage that have resulted but it has not stopped at least one resident from rather aggressively 'policing' their impact.

Here is a link to an article that describes at least part of the history of challenges with the neighbors. I don't think the city has ever tried to stop Universal but it has been a chronic challenge with this individual.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/is-the-sky-falling/Content?oid=2274693

It's an old article (2006) but it describes some long-standing challenges they've had with their close proximity to residential neighbors.

TTA94

IOA hasn't had as much nighttime entertainment but they have had shows over the years at USO. Historically they've wrestled with a common problem whenever they've tried to use a lot of pyro in those shows. With the close proximity to residential neighborhoods and the residents that predate the construction of the parks, fallout from that pyro in the residential areas has been a challenge for them. They've had problems with debris from the fireworks landing on those residential properties and the complaints that resulted from that. Some neighbors (one in particular) have reported flaming embers landing in their, or their neighbors yards and reported it to the police and fire department. I'm unaware of any actual fires or damage that have resulted but it has not stopped at least one resident from rather aggressively 'policing' their impact.

Here is a link to an article that describes at least part of the history of challenges with the neighbors. I don't think the city has ever tried to stop Universal but it has been a chronic challenge with this individual.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/is-the-sky-falling/Content?oid=2274693

It's an old article (2006) but it describes some long-standing challenges they've had with their close proximity to residential neighbors.

So IOA could do a full fountain show with low level pyro.

donsullivan

Premium Member
So IOA could do a full fountain show with low level pyro.

I think the reality is, as the technology of nighttime spectaculars has evolved to no longer be just fireworks but things like projection mapping, fountains, mist screens and so much more there are a whole lot of options they could consider. The layout of IOA would likely need tweaking to improve availability of viewing locations along the lagoon edge, but that's certainly something they could do as part of a show development. General access nighttime entertainment spectaculars is just not something that UO has been big on over the years.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I think the reality is, as the technology of nighttime spectaculars has evolved to no longer be just fireworks but things like projection mapping, fountains, mist screens and so much more there are a whole lot of options they could consider. The layout of IOA would likely need tweaking to improve availability of viewing locations along the lagoon edge, but that's certainly something they could do as part of a show development. General access nighttime entertainment spectaculars is just not something that UO has been big on over the years.

As I've thought more about this, another challenge IOA has for a lagoon spectacular is very limited backstage 'marina' space to store any sort of barges that might be used for such a show. They have a very small marina behind Seuss Landing but that would need to be expanded significantly for any show barges that might be needed for something presented within the lagoon. Again, absolutely something that could be done but it would take a longer with higher infrastructure cost to launch something like that.

USO has the same issue (no marina at all) which is why the barges have to stay out there pretty much permanently.

A World of Color style show doesn't require that, just sink the fountain platforms below the water surface during the day and you're good to go.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Received a suggestion today that HEA is so popular that there are discussions of a "Happily Ever After: Celebrate!" update for the 50th (of course the name could change) in lieu of a brand new show. There would be tech upgrades as in World of Color: Celebrate.

Will have to watch closely how this story comes alive.

jrhwdw

Received a suggestion today that HEA is so popular that there are discussions of a "Happily Ever After: Celebrate!" update for the 50th (of course the name could change) in lieu of a brand new show. There would be tech upgrades as in World of Color: Celebrate.
They could go that route If they want to replace FOF and get a night parade

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom