Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

cheezbat

Lets put this into a scenario. Imagine if oi were a kid and you had 2 siblings. Some older some younger. Now, lets say your parents spoilt you for a few years! They gave you more than your siblings! All the best and newest toys! Then your parents decided one day that they wanted to spoil your siblings for a bit. So you get left alone for a while so your other siblings can catch up. You will always have more toys but they get old and dated. However, it is just being fair. You don't deserve to constantly have more than your siblings, otherwise why would they be there?

Do you get what I'm trying to say?

And Test Track 2.0 is a whole new attraction IMO. We can't expect Everest scale rides every year.

I know exactly what your saying...but The parks aren't kids lol...

WDW rakes in the most money and is the flagship resort, so it should be invested in more than the other resorts. Yes, I believe that Hong Kong and Paris and Anaheim should all get nice new additions every few years, but I think it's not asking much for at least one of each if WDWs theme parks gets something new every year. For instance, MK gets the 7DMT in 2013, then Epcot should get something new in 2014, DHS something in 2015, DAK in 2016, and back to MK in 2017. This is something they could easily afford, just don't care to do. In doing this, that would give guests something new to look forward to every year! In that same period of time, money could be spent like this in the other resorts: in 2013 DCA in Anaheim gets something new and Hong Kong gets something new. Then in 2014 DL Paris gets something new and Tokyo gets something(go with me on this even though the OLC runs TDL and pays for new stuff), then in 2015 it goes back to Disneyland and Hong Kong, 2016 WDS Paris, and so on and so forth. This would keep all Disney resorts fresh.

The current way things are running, WDW and DLP have been more or less getting the short end of the stick.

WDW is the flagship. They should treat it like it is.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Was at Disney for 8 days recently. Don't get me wrong I love it there but is it me or do they need a couple of rides that really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going. Hopefully they will build some more in the future cause after walking around all over and watching all those shows u need something to get u going.

We've found the balance. We split our vacation between Universal and Disney. Works for us and I'm as big of a fan of the Portofino Resort at Universal. It has all the charm of a Disney resort and transportation is more efficient to the park. A win-win.

WED99

I know exactly what your saying...but The parks aren't kids lol...

WDW rakes in the most money and is the flagship resort, so it should be invested in more than the other resorts. Yes, I believe that Hong Kong and Paris and Anaheim should all get nice new additions every few years, but I think it's not asking much for at least one of each if WDWs theme parks gets something new every year. For instance, MK gets the 7DMT in 2013, then Epcot should get something new in 2014, DHS something in 2015, DAK in 2016, and back to MK in 2017. This is something they could easily afford, just don't care to do. In doing this, that would give guests something new to look forward to every year! In that same period of time, money could be spent like this in the other resorts: in 2013 DCA in Anaheim gets something new and Hong Kong gets something new. Then in 2014 DL Paris gets something new and Tokyo gets something(go with me on this even though the OLC runs TDL and pays for new stuff), then in 2015 it goes back to Disneyland and Hong Kong, 2016 WDS Paris, and so on and so forth. This would keep all Disney resorts fresh.

The current way things are running, WDW and DLP have been more or less getting the short end of the stick.

WDW is the flagship. They should treat it like it is.
I understand what your saying and I agree with you in a way. WDW could and should be getting more but I don't think it's at the point some fans complain about.

MK just got new Fantasyland and I have only seen people either love it or hate it. Really depends on how you look at it, I personally think it is a really nice edition!

Epcot got TT 2.0 which really is almost a new attraction with the same track. The create a car beings a whole new level to the ride and the interiors make it a different adventure or guests to take.

DHS has had a lot of speculation, nothing certain, but we can almost confirm that TDO knows it needs help and are going to do something about it.

AK has Avatar coming, not for a while, but when it comes it will be spectacular! Something that the flagship resort deserves and will be envied by others! Fans need to stop complaining and accept it and think about the possiblities!

So yes, WDW was suffering probably 2 years ago. But a storm is coming! I know Disney won't let us down!

erasure fan1

MK just got new Fantasyland and I have only seen people either love it or hate it. Really depends on how you look at it, I personally think it is a really nice edition!
I think the problem some people have is that until the mine coaster is done, they haven't really added attractions. Something should have been done with the 20K spot YEARS ago. So now its being billed as this huge expansion, but upon completion its 1 new attraction and a new place to eat QS and TS. The land does look good but it could have been amazing.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I understand what your saying and I agree with you in a way. WDW could and should be getting more but I don't think it's at the point some fans complain about.

Epcot got TT 2.0 which really is almost a new attraction with the same track. The create a car beings a whole new level to the ride and the interiors make it a different adventure or guests to take.

DHS has had a lot of speculation, nothing certain, but we can almost confirm that TDO knows it needs help and are going to do something about it.

AK has Avatar coming, not for a while, but when it comes it will be spectacular! Something that the flagship resort deserves and will be envied by others! Fans need to stop complaining and accept it and think about the possiblities!

So yes, WDW was suffering probably 2 years ago. But a storm is coming! I know Disney won't let us down!

Your entitled to your opinion, even if it is based on wishful thinking, with absolutely nothing to substantiate the spectacular envy. Its comedy gold that you use EE as your example. How many years ago did that open.

BryceM

Your entitled to your opinion, even if it is based on wishful thinking, with absolutely nothing to substantiate the spectacular envy. Its comedy gold that you use EE as your example. How many years ago did that open.
2006, so... Almost 6 years? It really is sad though. Since Expedition Everest opened, all Disney's Animal Kingdom has going for it is speculation about a land that already nobody likes.

Personally, I don't mind Avatar. The environments from the movie are stunning and I hope it translates well to the park. I do agree that this won't be equilivant to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in terms of merchandise, increase in park attendance, etc. Islands of Adventure was already one of the world's best theme parks, but WWoHP took Islands of Adventure to the next level.

WED99

Everest is the perfect example. Disney has never built a ride on that scale before, and yes the Yeti stuff sucks but it's still a great ride that lead AK into a complete turnaround.

I'm aware that I'm allowed to share my opinion, you don't need to remind me. It just baffles me that someone such as yourself comes onto this forum, pays for premium contributor and then shares no faith for Disney what so ever!

WED99

I think the problem some people have is that until the mine coaster is done, they haven't really added attractions. Something should have been done with the 20K spot YEARS ago. So now its being billed as this huge expansion, but upon completion its 1 new attraction and a new place to eat QS and TS. The land does look good but it could have been amazing.
Don't forget Storybook Circus ;)

And yes, I think the Mine Train will cheer up a few people.

WedWayPeopleMover

I think they should leave MK the way it is, mild thrills that submerse you into the story-line as much as possible... If Disney wants to venture out into thrill rides for parks like DHS then that's fine by me. DHS needs more rides anyways, I can spend a half day there at best. I go to Disney for the magic but would also be open to any and all rides the imagineers have to offer. Epcot to me is a place for big kids, it offers educational benefits, great food and wonderful alcohol so maybe add a big thrill ride there but make sure it follows the theme of "experimental prototype community of tomorrow". ;)

doctornick

I'd much rather see them spend $100 mil on a new ToonTown at DHS and 2 or 3 dark rides the quality of Pan or Pooh than one single supposedly cutting-edge $100 mil attraction like TLM.

Yes, this. The parks -- especially DHS and DAK, but to some extent Epcot as well -- just need more to do. The headliners are actually fine, but the draw for theme parks is ultimately in the rides and you need more than ~6 in a park to fill the day. Adding a bunch of relatively affordable but endearing rides to the parks would make a dramatic difference.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Everest is the perfect example. Disney has never built a ride on that scale before, and yes the Yeti stuff sucks but it's still a great ride that lead AK into a complete turnaround.

I'm aware that I'm allowed to share my opinion, you don't need to remind me. It just baffles me that someone such as yourself comes onto this forum, pays for premium contributor and then shares no faith for Disney what so ever!

Annoying isnt it.

DfromATX

I used to think WDW had lots of thrill rides (Mt. Everest, Rockin' Roller Coaster, etc.). That is until we went to Six Flags Fiesta Texas this past summer... Superman nearly killed me, lol. Don't get me wrong though, still love Disney, but I understand what you're saying about needing more thrill rides. Maybe they can add them to Hollywood Studios where there are not enough rides period.

Ignohippo

Yes, this. The parks -- especially DHS and DAK, but to some extent Epcot as well -- just need more to do. The headliners are actually fine, but the draw for theme parks is ultimately in the rides and you need more than ~6 in a park to fill the day. Adding a bunch of relatively affordable but endearing rides to the parks would make a dramatic difference.

Well said.

PUSH

I'd take a "tamed down" ride with a story to it (EE, RnR, ToT) over a ride that goes so fast that you can't take anything in (most rides at a six flags).

Tinkerkell

Walt Disney World is a theme park, not an amusement park. There is a difference between the two.

Walt's vision for creating Disneyland and WDW was that he wanted a park that all generations of a family could enjoy together. There are a handful of thrill rides in the parks, though the focus is on atmosphere and immersion into a magical setting. There are many attractions in which grandpa can happily ride with his 6 year old grandson, and that's what it's all about. WDW is wonderfully unique in this approach to being a family theme park.

If you want thrill rides, there are dozens of other great parks you can visit for your thrills, including nearby Universal. Go and enjoy Six Flags at its several locations throughout the country, as well as other amusement parks.

cheezbat

Walt Disney World is a theme park, not an amusement park. There is a difference between the two.

Walt's vision for creating Disneyland and WDW was that he wanted a park that all generations of a family could enjoy together. There are a handful of thrill rides in the parks, though the focus is on atmosphere and immersion into a magical setting. There are many attractions in which grandpa can happily ride with his 6 year old grandson, and that's what it's all about. WDW is wonderfully unique in this approach to being a family theme park.

If you want thrill rides, there are dozens of other great parks you can visit for your thrills, including nearby Universal. Go and enjoy Six Flags at its several locations throughout the country, as well as other amusement parks.

While I agree with you, the way many of you come off is "Disney is not about thrilling rides. You don't like that, go somewhere else!"

I love both amusement and theme parks, and while I enjoy Disney's thrill rides, I also understand why some thrill seekers feel neglected. Now I don't ever want to see Disney become Cedar Point or Six Flags with unthemed 250 foot tall coasters, but I don't see why they can't continue to build rides like Everest, Tower, or Mission Space

Like you said: Disney is for families to come together and enjoy. Without thrill rides, they would be alienating not just teens, but many other people too.

DfromATX

This is true and also why we (for the first time) are splitting our Disney trip with Universal.

BryceM

This is true and also why we (for the first time) are splitting our Disney trip with Universal.
Universal is as much of a theme park as Disney is. You'll be blown away by their two parks! Definitely not an amusement park and I assure you that you will really love Universal!

DfromATX

Universal is as much of a theme park as Disney is. You'll be blown away by their two parks! Definitely not an amusement park and I assure you that you will really love Universal!

That's good to know. I'm so worried we won't like it as much as WDW, but the Universal website did look pretty cool. I will always love WDW, but since our kids are getting older and we've never been, we thought we'd give Universal a try. I feel very lucky to be able to do both!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom