Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

Californian Elitist

I think the Disney parks could definitely benefit from having a huge thrill ride. Lots of little kids ride thrill rides. It's not just a grown up thing. Sometimes Space Mountain or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster just isn't enough.

Check out this little girl on X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Like I said previously, huge thrills can be for kids, too.

In case no one has been on X2 or seen it, this is what the ride looks like:

Now I'm not saying Disney should build something on this level, I'm just trying to back up my statement on little kids getting on "big kid" rides.

BryceM

What's the difference between theme park and amusement park? :oops:
My definition of a theme park would be a place split in different themed lands with attractions and shows in the themed lands that relate to the theme. Perfect examples would be:

1. Islands of Adventure - Port of Entry, Seuss Landing, The Lost Continent, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Toon Lagoon and Marvel Super Hero Island.

2. Magic Kingdom - Main Street U.S.A., Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Adventureland.

Like Raven said, I think the best way to describe an amusement park would be a mishmash of attractions that you pay separately to ride each one. So Coney Island, Knoebels, etc.

FigmentJedi

Here's an idea I had a while back that I've posted on other forums:

The Cave of Wonders. The preshow would have the voice of the cave: “Who disturbs my slumber, etc.” Inside you would descend into the dark cave and eventually come to a huge treasure room, with an audio-animatronics Abu trying to steal a gem. The cave goes nuts and you board your “Flying Carpet” for a great themed roller coaster ride past falling boulders and over a boiling pool of lava. It would be a “suspended” roller coaster so you are flying underneath with the track above you. And you would be sort of laying down on top of a “carpet” (something like the Sea World Manta coaster).

Only problem is the theme is probably too kid-oriented. They would all want to ride it, but the height restrcitions would disappoint them.
Nonsense, there's plenty of nostalgic teens-twenty somethings that watched Aladdin as kids and imagined how cool it would be to ride the carpet in that scene.

DfromATX

My definition of a theme park would be a place split in different themed lands with attractions and shows in the themed lands that relate to the theme. Perfect examples would be:

1. Islands of Adventure - Port of Entry, Seuss Landing, The Lost Continent, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Toon Lagoon and Marvel Super Hero Island.

2. Magic Kingdom - Main Street U.S.A., Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Adventureland.

Like Raven said, I think the best way to describe an amusement park would be a mishmash of attractions that you pay separately to ride each one. So Coney Island, Knoebels, etc.

Ahhh, I see. I think Disney would keep more business if they added more thrill rides, especially at HS. Not that they need my money, lol, but they are losing us for a couple of days while we'll be at Universal when we would normally be at Disney. We normally do 2 MK days, but for this trip we're only doing 1 day and only half a day at HS (the day we are traveling from Universal to WDW).

Kev1417

I'm a huge fan of coasters....the bigger then better. That said I don't think Disney would be able to successfully pull off something like a 200-300 ft coaster. Think about it. How would they theme a 200-300 foot lift hill. I'm sure it's possible but would be very difficult. Especially if it has to blend in with it's surroundings. Also those high coasters travel at least 65mph. What could you possibly have to tell a great story in the way of theming? Everything will just zip right by you. I think the limit is EE. It has a pretty slow section to start off to tell the story then a few moments of speed before you come to an end. Even then the fast part is in the dark going backwards, or it's only about 30 seconds outside. It seems like the majority of the speed coasters disney builds is in the dark. Probably because it's so hard to theme a a fast coaster.

I think the majority of fans want to just see how Disney could incorporate their attention to telling a story to a high speed thrill ride. I just don't see how it's possible to be honest. We already have that in RnR and some of the Space Mountains. I just don't see how they could get it to "fit in" a land without it looking like a huge steel/wodden coaster unless it's another coaster in the dark.

DfromATX

Oh, and one more thing, I don't think you're ever too old for Disney! I have a 10 year old and 3 teens and they all still ride Dumbo, Goofy, and Snow White, etc. We're all like a bunch of kids and totally get into the magic!

Tinkerkell

The Six Flags parks are indeed theme parks, not amusement parks. This includes Universal as well. Coney Island is an amusement park. Six Flags, no.

The only Six Flags I've been to (about 10 years ago) was the one outside Washington DC. I'd definitely call that one, at that time (maybe it's changed since), an amusement park. Perhaps some of the other Six Flags are nicer and perhaps that one has improved but it there was no real "theme" to it when we were there and we've never felt the desire to return. We have enjoyed Hershey Park, Kennywood, and Knoebels. Perhaps our definition of theme parks and amusement parks are not the same, but I do think of those as amusement parks rather than theme parks.

I've never been to Universal. It does look like a nice theme park if you like a lot of thrill rides. Even though I like Harry Potter and the Harry Potter theme looks great, I have little desire to do Universal. It just doesn't appeal to me, and the added cost of transportation and tickets would be way more than an extra day at the Disney Parks which I know I'd enjoy. I wouldn't ride probably more than half the rides at Universal and although it's a wildly popular destination I'm not drawn enough to the park to spend time and money there.

If I were to explore any other Orlando attraction besides WDW, it would be (in all seriousness!) Gator Land! I know it sounds cheesy, but I think it would be a quirky and fun place to visit! I'd like to see some gators. :) Different strokes for different folks. :)

DfromATX

The only Six Flags I've been to (about 10 years ago) was the one outside Washington DC. I'd definitely call that one, at that time (maybe it's changed since), an amusement park. Perhaps some of the other Six Flags are nicer and perhaps that one has improved but it there was no real "theme" to it when we were there and we've never felt the desire to return. We have enjoyed Hershey Park, Kennywood, and Knoebels. Perhaps our definition of theme parks and amusement parks are not the same, but I do think of those as amusement parks rather than theme parks.
:)

I'm in Texas so we have Six Flags in Arlington and Fiesta in San Antonio. I've never been to the one in Arlington, but Fiesta has a Looney Toons theme and the super hero stuff too. I was very surprised to see all the coasters! I thought I had seen it all at Disney, guess I didn't, but I didn't care either. There's so much more to Disney that no other park could compare to. This summer will be our first time to go to Universal, so we shall see...

BryceM

I've never been to Universal. It does look like a nice theme park if you like a lot of thrill rides. Even though I like Harry Potter and the Harry Potter theme looks great, I have little desire to do Universal. It just doesn't appeal to me, and the added cost of transportation and tickets would be way more than an extra day at the Disney Parks which I know I'd enjoy. I wouldn't ride probably more than half the rides at Universal and although it's a wildly popular destination I'm not drawn enough to the park to spend time and money there.

If I were to explore any other Orlando attraction besides WDW, it would be (in all seriousness!) Gator Land! I know it sounds cheesy, but I think it would be a quirky and fun place to visit! I'd like to see some gators. :) Different strokes for different folks. :)
I'd say there is only 4 rides at the Universal parks that could be deemed "intense". They would be The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Dueling Dragons, Dr. Doom's FearFall and Hollywood Rip, Ride, RockIt.

If it is motion that gets you, then that's what really narrows your options down.

Californian Elitist

Trust me, the Six Flags parks are theme parks. They all have themes.

It's a shame you have no desire to venture out and try other places. You would never know if you don't like Universal until you try the place. Disney parks aren't the only places you can go to to have fun. I regularly visit Universal Studios Hollywood, and it only has four rides, a couple of shows and the backlot tour. If I can have a blast there, I'm sure I could have fun at Universal Orlando. For me, I don't care if I'm at Six Flags, Sea World, Universal, Disney, Knott's... As long as I'm having fun. There's more to life than going to Disney parks all the time. There's more to life than going to theme parks period, let alone Disney. Venture out and try new things. Hopefully you decide to change your mind somewhere down the road.:)

Tinkerkell

Trust me, the Six Flags parks are theme parks. They all have themes.

It's a shame you have no desire to venture out and try other places. You would never know if you don't like Universal until you try the place. Disney parks aren't the only places you can go to to have fun. I regularly visit Universal Studios Hollywood, and it only has four rides, a couple of shows and the backlot tour. If I can have a blast there, I'm sure I could have fun at Universal Orlando. For me, I don't care if I'm at Six Flags, Sea World, Universal, Disney, Knott's... As long as I'm having fun. There's more to life than going to Disney parks all the time. There's more to life than going to theme parks period, let alone Disney. Venture out and try new things. Hopefully you decide to change your mind somewhere down the road.:)

I never said we didn't go to other places. We vacation in a variety of places, both man-made (see above with parks other than WDW we've enjoyed, museums, etc.) and God-made (National Parks, places that bring you close to nature, etc). We especially enjoy historic sites. Because I don't have enough desire to spend time and money at Universal doesn't mean we don't venture anywhere else. I agree that it's a big world and there are many wonderful places to explore.

Californian Elitist

I never said we didn't go to other places. We vacation in a variety of places, both man-made (see above with parks other than WDW we've enjoyed, museums, etc.) and God-made (National Parks, places that bring you close to nature, etc). We especially enjoy historic sites. Because I don't have enough desire to spend time and money at Universal doesn't mean we don't venture anywhere else. I agree that it's a big world and there are many wonderful places to explore.

I'm sorry for putting it that way. There are a lot of people here that spend two whole weeks at Disney for vacation, and won't do anything else. Two weeks. There are so many other things one could be doing besides Disney within fourteen days.

awoogala

I'm sorry for putting it that way. There are a lot of people here that spend two whole weeks at Disney for vacation, and won't do anything else. Two weeks. There are so many other things one could be doing besides Disney within fourteen days.
but not everyone wants to do anything else. I have no problem spending my whole vacation at Disney. :) (although we never get more than one week)
We go on lots of little trips all over the place, museums, amusement parks (we hate 6 flags, and it's only a 30 minute drive) But when we are at Disney, any minute not in the parks makes us crazy!
We toyed with the idea to visit Universal for Harry Potter this year, but I just didn't think it was worth it, just for Harry Potter (and a whole day lost from Disney!). We will think about it in a few years, maybe when my kids are older, but Disney is perfect for us right now.

bdearl41

Gooo on........
If they build scarier or rides that require a bigger thrill you will certainly alienate a lot of guests. The idea is to get most of the family together. I think that may be part of the problem at DHS. TSMWM is a true family ride, which is one reason its to packed..everyone can go on it just about.

Not really, you just dont ride the ones you are scared of. I do agree with you that TSMWM is great concept and good for the park, but a great thrill ride does the same thing. DHS wasnt really a park worth more than a couple hours until it got RNR and ToT. I do agree WDW should keep doing family attractions, thats their bread and butter, but to completely ignore those who want some thrills is also a giant mistake.

bdearl41

Fully agree here. I have been fortunate enough to see all but two of the EPCOT countries in person (Japan and Norway) and believe me, as great as EPCOT is, its not the real thing. When I list my favorite vacations, while I love WDW, it doesnt crack the Top Ten, or come close. Too many wonderful "real" things out there. Now I would take WDW over Vegas any day of the week. My best vacation ever was backpacking through China for 3 weeks. WDW can't hold a candle to that.

Californian Elitist

but not everyone wants to do anything else. I have no problem spending my whole vacation at Disney. :) (although we never get more than one week)
We go on lots of little trips all over the place, museums, amusement parks (we hate 6 flags, and it's only a 30 minute drive) But when we are at Disney, any minute not in the parks makes us crazy!
We toyed with the idea to visit Universal for Harry Potter this year, but I just didn't think it was worth it, just for Harry Potter (and a whole day lost from Disney!). We will think about it in a few years, maybe when my kids are older, but Disney is perfect for us right now.

I know. I'm talking about myself, personally. I myself wouldn't spend two whole weeks at a Disney resort. If I've got two weeks of vacation, I'm going to Disney and I'm doing other things, too. When I was a kid, my mother took us everywhere, not just Disneyland. We went there, Hollywood trips, movie dates, movie studios, shopping, the beach, visited family in New York, went hiking once, San Francisco... So many possibilities. I live in Los Angeles, so I like doing all sorts of things. I'm not used to doing one thing for a long period of time. Everyone is different, though.

Californian Elitist

Fully agree here. I have been fortunate enough to see all but two of the EPCOT countries in person (Japan and Norway) and believe me, as great as EPCOT is, its not the real thing. When I list my favorite vacations, while I love WDW, it doesnt crack the Top Ten, or come close. Too many wonderful "real" things out there. Now I would take WDW over Vegas any day of the week. My best vacation ever was backpacking through China for 3 weeks. WDW can't hold a candle to that.

Man, I'd LOVE to travel to China or Japan or any other foreign country. You are very fortunate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom