Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

disney fan 13

I agree with the OP, Disney needs more thrill rides, I'm not talking Hulk or Kingda Ka, But something like the planned ( and cut due to value engineering...) Dragon Tower and Excavator coasters.Or the now toonified Alien Encounter. All are themed thrilling attractions that are Disney Park material.

PolynesianPrincess

Gooo on........
If they build scarier or rides that require a bigger thrill you will certainly alienate a lot of guests. The idea is to get most of the family together. I think that may be part of the problem at DHS. TSMWM is a true family ride, which is one reason its to packed..everyone can go on it just about.

True but Tower of Terror and RNRC always have long lines as well. And those are not "kiddie rides" I don't think they should neglect their classic dark family friendly rides at all, just add in a couple thrill rides as well.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Here we go..Stand back and light the touch paper.So you want thrill rides that make you s...your pants,and throw up.Then go to a park that has them,or even Vegas.( that coaster at New York New York ) and leave my Disney alone.:mad: Iam here for the magic.

Vegas has plenty of magicians too, and they are ones that are perceptible.

valleyfan

Was at Disney for 8 days recently. Don't get me wrong I love it there but is it me or do they need a couple of rides that really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going. Hopefully they will build some more in the future cause after walking around all over and watching all those shows u need something to get u going.
What's wrong, all the Meet and Greets don't rock your world?

bigAWL

Gooo on........
If they build scarier or rides that require a bigger thrill you will certainly alienate a lot of guests. The idea is to get most of the family together. I think that may be part of the problem at DHS. TSMWM is a true family ride, which is one reason its to packed..everyone can go on it just about.
Well, I think TSMM is always packed because it's the ONLY "ride" for little ones in the park. Maybe Star Tours, too, but it is one or two steps "scarier" and it doesn't have the kiddie draw that I think Toy Story does. Hollywood Studios NEEDS Cars Land!

Wojciehowicz

Magic, smagic. Let me guess, Walt wouldn't like it. Walt's still dead.
It's an amusement park, give people what they want. If you want the hokie Disney stuff, excuse me, the magical stuff, that's fine, you've got plenty of it, but if you want more, why make them go down the street?
Like it or not, everything is pointing to eventually being a thrill ride park at WDW.

awoogala

Disney has built 2 attractions that could either be classified as extreme or adult. Those attractions were Alien Encounter and Mission: Space. To date, they are the most complained about attractions in WDW. People expect a Disney attraction to peak out at a mild to moderate thrill level. It does not matter what restrictions or warnings Disney puts up because guests ignore them, after all it is just Disney. How bad could it be? Stupid parents take little Timmy who can't sleep without a light on on AE in spite of multiple warnings. Little Timmy proceeds to wet himself as soon as the lights go out. The family then marches straight to guest services and demands their entire vacation be refunded to them plus a million dollars in emotional damages.

I do not see them trying to build an extreme thrill ride any time soon.
exactly. I cannot explain how horrible it is to ride ToT with a 6 year olds screaming andd sobbing the whole time, with their parents making them ride it because "we're at disney- you have to go on everything"

valleyfan

I love going to Disney but as I said in another topic they don't really do much for families like mine. My daughter is 16 and my son is 7 so they've grown out of the meet and greet stuff and now they are getting bored. We go every year at least once and it's time for something different. We are going over the holidays then we are done until they add something that doesn't involve a meal or autograph book.

awoogala

I don't mind more thrills, especially if they are well-themed like Tower, or EE..but I would never want it to turn into a thrill-a-minute adrenaline fest like 6 flags. Just not the environment I am looking for. Too many of those parks already.

WWWD

Don't forget to look outside the parks for thrills - Richard Petty's Driving Experience and Parasailing on the lake. While these cost extra, they offer thrills above your typical theme park experience.

bethymouse

Well, my favorite rides are the "thrill" rides at Disney. I still feel DHS and DAK need something else, whether it be Carsland or Avatarland, etc... Magic Kingdom is the best, and now with Test Track up and running, EPCOT is pretty good too ( but still may need something else to "ride": no boats please). I am waiting for the Mine Train- sounds cool.:cool:

erasure fan1

While I am not a huge extreme coaster fan (due to motion sickness issues) I think Disney does need some more thrill rides added to the parks. Not the tallest, fastest, most inversions but on the level of Everest and tower of terror. The key like anything else is balance. You don't need to go crazy with them, and if you don't want to put anything on Everests scale in the magic kingdom, I'm fine with that. I have 2 nephews who spent half a day at the studios riding rockin roller coaster and tower of terror because they didn't want to go with us to another park because the rides were not thrilling enough. You don't need to cater to the thrill seeker but a few more thrill rides wouldn't hurt.

luv

If you want parks that have a few sucky thrill rides, go to Disney.

If you want parks that have a few awesome thrill rides, hit up Uni or Sea World.

If you a ton of thrill rides, go to Cedar Point.

Disney is selling magic, not thrills.

ariel90

I don't know why there is so much animosity toward those people who thinks that Disney should add more thrills. I love magic, I love memories,I go to shows and meet characters. However at the end of the day not everyone is similar.
Furthermore Disney does not have a monopoly on theme parks. It seems to be so easy to say "oh go somewhere else", but the reality is that is what loses money or Oh I don't think Disney is like that.
I don't think it's impossible to build more (yes Im aware these rides exist at some capacity in the parks)thrill ride there lots of room.
Finally thrill rides have such a broad appeal. If you've ever been into a queue for a thrill rides there the elderly,in between and very young. These kids are so excited because they are finally tall enough to ride and have achieved a right of passage by being tall enough. And why be there for rights of passage in one stage in someone's life when there is so much potential to do more.

P.S. the Malificent coaster was by far the best idea ever

Ignohippo

I can understand the want / need for thrill rides however I don't think that's why a lot of families go to Disney. At least that's not why I go. I go for the magic, and the memories (and the princesses ;)) I quite enjoy the rides they have there. When I go to Disney, I know what's in store, I know what I'm getting. I don't expect there to be any huge "thrills" just an overall magical time.

If am seeking something more thrilling I generally will go to Busch Gardens or Islands of Adventure instead because, again, I know what to expect there.

So, if they add thrill rides, that will mean the Princesses and Mickey Mouse somehow disappear?

There's no reason to not cater to teens and thrill-seeking adults as well. When you're trying to appeal to families, you can't forget the teen that may not be especially enamoured with the idea of going to Disney.

I think AK, Epcot, and MK have a good mix for their theme. DHS needs an identity and making it the "thrill" park would be perfect. Still add more Pixar, maybe a ToonTown, CarsLand, etc. to it to appeal to children and families, but it also has the potential to appeal to a niche that WDW currently loses to other parks.

IMO, DHS could easily be WDW's second most popular gate if it were expanded in the correct way.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My problem with Disney trying to do thrill rides is that it's a constant arms race. Disney could build a high thrill attraction today that would attract the thrill seekers, but in two years someone else would have build something even more thrilling. Six Flags and other amusements parks are building new thrill rides, especially coasters, every two years or so to keep up. With the level of themeing we expect from a Disney attraction, there is no way they would ever spend the money to constantly build newer thrill rides.

NicTom1211

Maybe its the types of "thrill" rides they have tried to do in the past? Like Mission Space for example people who I have been there with, myself included, who are good with all types of rides have felt sick afterwards, even riding the toned down version. And AE was kinda for a specific audience and it’s unfortunate that people didn’t listen to the warnings. I’m thinking maybe they should try another roller coaster, like the California screamin in DL. Or does Disney get the same complaints from that or rockin rolller coaster?

I can see both sides of this, but it would be nice to have something else in Disney so that we didn’t have to go to the other parks to have that experience.

Wasen’t there a concept for the original Animal Kingdom that included a suspended coaster?

erasure fan1

Disney is selling magic, not thrills.
And they wouldnt have to stop that. Disney can do magic better than anyone if they want. Just look at Everest & tower of terror, both have nice thrills and both are pretty magical if you ask me. So I guess I dont get whats so wrong about wanting a few more thrill rides from a company that can give the best of both sides, magic and thrills. Seems like a win win in my book. Don't get me wrong though, thrill rides should never dominate what Disney does. It should only compliment it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom