Will There Every Be a 5th Major Park?

I agree, especially when the contract gives Disney SIGNIFICANT power over Universal when it comes to oversight. The current contract pretty much gives Disney the right to have an audit team in the Universal offices at all times.

Exactly. Sit back, collect your money, and expand the parks you have no. When Universals ready, the theme park rights will go to disney. There's plenty of work to be done till then.:dazzle:

Disday

Shanghai would almost have to use Marvel in their Disneyland park. Their next 2 parks are reportedly an EPCOT and an Animal Kingdom. I don't see how they could include Marvel in these, unless they take a dramatically different form than their U.S. counterparts.:)

RSoxNo1

I agree, especially when the contract gives Disney SIGNIFICANT power over Universal when it comes to oversight. The current contract pretty much gives Disney the right to have an audit team in the Universal offices at all times.

Anti-Trust laws restrict a significant portion of this "oversight". Do we have any lawyers out there that can explain this better?

CaptainShortty

Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are starving for new attractions, I personally think Animal Kingdom needs another E-ticket possibly with a new land (that park is just huge and hasn't been touched since EE). Same applies for HS but I know there are some plans being made, we just won't see anything new till the completion of the Fantasyland expansion.

As for the new park, that idea has been thrown around for a few years now whether it be a park based on the Disney Villains or the Marvel Superheros. Again I personally believe that when Marvel is ready to appear in WDW, HS would be a great home. Not saying a Marvel theme park wouldn't be cool.. of course it would but who knows maybe down the line we'll see.

Oh, and a Marvel waterpark would be awesome! :king:

There is a strong rumor going around that Camp Minnie Mickey in AK is being completely transformed into a new land keeping only festival of the Lion King. Personally I would love to see that as it's a land that lacks much substance besides FOLK (which is one of my favorites).

flavious27

That's not how it works.

From the Orlando Sentinel, originally brought to these boards by "fillerup".

Through a 15-year-old licensing contract between Marvel and an arm of NBC Universal — a contract Disney inherited when it bought Marvel — Universal Orlando is the only theme park on the U.S. East Coast that can use some of Marvel’s best-known characters, including Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk and the X-Men.

But the contract also gives Disney a number of rights over Universal, including the ability to audit Universal Orlando’s books, to ensure it is paying the appropriate amount of royalties, and the power to review Universal’s promotional materials when they feature Marvel characters.

Universal, which doesn’t want to abandon its Marvel rights after having invested heavily to build Marvel Super Island in its Islands of Adventure theme park, now must pay millions of dollars a year in royalties to the corporate parent of its archrival. Disney, meanwhile, finds itself unable to use the most popular characters from its pricey new studio in Orlando, at the company’s biggest, most visited theme-park resort. (Universal Parks & Resorts also holds exclusive theme-park rights to Spider-Man in Japan, where Disney operates the two-park Tokyo Disney Resort.)

? My comment was about wondering how this would be bad press for Disney.

flavious27

Anti-Trust laws restrict a significant portion of this "oversight". Do we have any lawyers out there that can explain this better?

Well having disney employees that are auditing the rides and shops in the same fashion as a nosy tourist isn't going to go afoul of anti-trust laws.

sbkline

First off, a warm welcome to the OP. :wave:

Secondly, to answer the question with my honest opinion, no, I don't think we will see a 5th Park. Not anytime soon, probably not ever. Seems like the current management is too cheapskate to invest money for much cheaper things, let alone building a whole new park.

And to add my personal preference to the discussion, I hope they do not build a 5th Park. I think there is too much to be done at the exisiting parks. Either get Wonders of Life back up and running at Epcot, or put something else in there, rather than just an empty building wasting space. Put up Beastly Kingdom, Australia, or some other land in Animal Kingdom. Maybe add a few things to HollyWood Studios. Can't say much right now about Magic Kingdom since they ARE doing a major expansion there. I like the theme parks as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where there are simply enough parks and they need to concentrate their efforts on other stuff. I would personally love to see monorail expansion to the other two parks, although I have a hard time seeing how Disney could justify that financially. A new park would at least bring in paying guests, but I'm not sure how monorail expansion would bring in more money.

Disday

I've heard that the Lion King attraction will be moved closer to Africa. However, the latest round of rumors seem to suggest that if they build at DAK in the next 10 years it will be between Africa and Asia. I don't know if this means Australia or a new concept.:wave:

WDWJedi

Well...I am not sure if it was true...but when I worked for the State of Florida...I was told of plans for a coaster park of some sort..which was the rumored Villains theme park. Now this came from someone at the Osceola building department. Now...it either was scrapped or put on back burners..but I think that type of coaster park would thrive as it would draw the roller coaster guests into the park. He offered to show me the plans...never took him up on it...just took his word. I'm sure TONS of plans are drawn up and scrapped like that though.

flavious27

Well...I am not sure if it was true...but when I worked for the State of Florida...I was told of plans for a coaster park of some sort..which was the rumored Villains theme park. Now this came from someone at the Osceola building department. Now...it either was scrapped or put on back burners..but I think that type of coaster park would thrive as it would draw the roller coaster guests into the park. He offered to show me the plans...never took him up on it...just took his word. I'm sure TONS of plans are drawn up and scrapped like that though.

I am sure that there are people at wdi that will draw up designs of parks and hotels for fun, just like us. The difference is that there could be a wdi stamp or watermark on what they make.

DaGoof00

I'd like to see a new land at DAC, and some major work done at HS before a 5th park. A return to 3 water parks on the other hand...that would be nice :lol:

tonganprince

While I would love "California Adventure" type park, I think they would be better off spending money and adding more to the existing parks.

1. MK - Fantasyland Expansion started. Great

2. Epcot - More countries and Fiji

3. DHS - This park needs the most work. I don't even know where to start

4. AK - Beastly Kingdom

No need for a 5th gate

Disday

There will be a 5th major park by 2018 or before. I've heard it will be World of Marvel. Yet, it's probably still in design and development, so they could change the theme every week as far as I know.:)

Wilt Dasney

However, once the contract is up for renewal, it all depends on what Universal or Disney wants to do.

The contract Marvel signed with Universal is not renewable. The only provisions for ending it have to do with Universal violating the terms.

Which leads us to...

There was a time when Disney had an employee at IOA on a daily basis monitoring the maintenance of the attractions at Marvel Super Hero Island but that has since stopped.

I'm curious where you heard this. It's pretty funny if true.

Disday

If there is someone from Disney checking on quality control at Universal, they need to check on the Marvel section now. From what I've heard, The Hulk and the Dr. Doom rides are so rusty they're scary and look unsafe.:)

flavious27

While I would love "California Adventure" type park, I think they would be better off spending money and adding more to the existing parks.

With DCA being parts of other disney parks and resorts, a direct clone would be redundant. A villains themed park has been suggested, but a park that is based on different forms of literature would work.

cheezbat

If there is someone from Disney checking on quality control at Universal, they need to check on the Marvel section now. From what I've heard, The Hulk and the Dr. Doom rides are so rusty they're scary and look unsafe.:)

This rumor is the biggest load of bull out there from people who see some brownish color on the track and automatically assume its rust. I have visted the park in the past week and i have to say the ONLY place where Hulk LOOKS rusted is in the trench tunnel where there is fog and mist. If you look closely in person, it doesnt look rusted at all. Just dirty. Hulk just needs a new coat of paint and some cleaning up. As for Dr Doom...um where is this thing supposedly rusted?:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom