Which is worse: Pool hopping, using FPs outside the time window, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
eating-popcorn-03.gif

Anyone want some?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My two cents:

We can poolhop (as DVC members.... Except to SAB and at AKL), so.... ;) But you aren't supposed to, as it's a written rule at pools. You can be kicked out if the pool is full and they start asking for resort ID. I have not seen that happen, however.

Lying about a child's age - You aren't really saving that much money, and Disney is still getting money out of you. This can happen anywhere, not just at a Disney park.

FastPass - Not even a problem, as it's been SOP to accept FP's after the window... on the same day.

EMH wristbands for someone not staying on-site: probably the worst in my mind - they are getting a benefit reserved for Resort guests (that has some kind of monetary value) for nothing.

Dwarful

I'd say:
EMH bands..if I am paying to stay on site and get those benefits, someone else gets bands when not staying on site..those people are stealing in the just same way as people who lie about their child's age.

Pool hopping: Again, if you aren't paying for the amenities of that resort don't use it. If you want to use those amenities, stay there. We talked to a couple while waiting for the night parade at MK. This guy was telling us how they were staying at "Motel X" on 'the strip'..they were able to eat a hot breakfast and dinner for free by 'visiting' the better hotels on the main drag. This guy was telling us where they went for free hot apptzrs. and drinks for 'free happy hour', who had the best 'free hot breakfast' etc. They said they got a great rate at their motel and it was perfect because it was within walking distance to four really great hotels!

Fastpasses: same day a little bit late, alright at most rides..some rides like TSM, Soarin' you may just be out of luck esp. during the busy seasons. Later day..sorry, no deal! You didn't pay for that FP..if you don't use it you just lose it..no saving for another day. That just messes everything up.

mikeb1967

WDW takes away a little more magic!

My two cents:

We can poolhop (as DVC members.... Except to SAB and at AKL), so.... ;) But you aren't supposed to, as it's a written rule at pools. You can be kicked out if the pool is full and they start asking for resort ID. I have not seen that happen, however.

Hello, Kicked out by checking IDs? Do WDW resort IDs have the name of the resort printed on them, i never noticed. I have only EVER stayed on-property since my first trip in 1982, and have enjoyed many different pools at different resorts without ever noticing or being told I can't be there, I always thought that being an on-property guest at WDW meant that you were welcome to use other resort amenities such as pools. Now this is being taken away too? I guess WDW doesn't need loyal repeat customers anymore, plenty of others to take my place. The only place i ever saw someone check for a resort id was at stormalong pool, i assumed that they checked there because of all the non on-property walking traffic from the boardwalk area, swan & dolp, and EPCOT. I have never used the pool there but planned to during my 10-day sept. trip as i just discovered it last sept. while walking to the dolp. Do they actually check what resort you are staying at at stormalong or are they just checking to make sure you have a resort id? I swear if it's a big deal, i'll be really frakin' torked, along with the automatic 18% grat imposed on groups of six or more, don't get me started... MikeB

Phonedave

People have to be careful that they dont quickly judge the people doing this. everyone just wants to have a good time, and until the system improves, let them have their fun.

Thats not an excuse.

I want to have a good time, I want to go to WDW, let me rob this gas station. Don't judge me, I just want to have some fun.

Or something less extreme

I want to see that movie with my friends, but I don't have the money. They let me in the back exit. Don't judge me, I just want to have some fun.

-dave

Phonedave

My two cents:

Hello, Kicked out by checking IDs? Do WDW resort IDs have the name of the resort printed on them, i never noticed. I have only EVER stayed on-property since my first trip in 1982, and have enjoyed many different pools at different resorts without ever noticing or being told I can't be there, I always thought that being an on-property guest at WDW meant that you were welcome to use other resort amenities such as pools. Now this is being taken away too? I guess WDW doesn't need loyal repeat customers anymore, plenty of others to take my place. The only place i ever saw someone check for a resort id was at stormalong pool, i assumed that they checked there because of all the non on-property walking traffic from the boardwalk area, swan & dolp, and EPCOT. I have never used the pool there but planned to during my 10-day sept. trip as i just discovered it last sept. while walking to the dolp. Do they actually check what resort you are staying at at stormalong or are they just checking to make sure you have a resort id? I swear if it's a big deal, i'll be really frakin' torked, along with the automatic 18% grat imposed on groups of six or more, don't get me started... MikeB

It's not somthing new they are taking away. Thats the way it has been. Your resort ID has the name of your resort, your name, and the dates of your stay on it.

At Stormalong bay, they look at your ID and give you a wristband (different color each day) and if they see you in the pool without the correct wristband, you may be asked to leave.

They do it because Stormalong Bay is so popular. When I pay the money (or use the DVC points) to stay at DC, its not fair to me if the pool is packed to the gills with people from all the other resorts, and I cannot enjoy it.

-dave

SpenceMan01

I think that the things people specifically pay for and directly affect other guests shouldn't be allowed. These are pool hopping and EMH. People pay more to stay at the Disney resorts to enjoy the extra time in the parks (among other things). On the same note, people pay more for a room at a Moderate or Deluxe resort because they offer better amenities, including better pools. When someone who is not entitled to use those amenities does so, they do a disservice (however minor) to the guests who paid for them (more crowded parks and pools). There are signs up disallowing pool hopping. People need to obey them.

Regarding late FastPass usage: Since FastPass is an amenity that ALL park guests are able to FREELY make use of, any of them would be able to use a FastPass after the end of the return window, as long as Disney allows it. That's the key, really. Disney is allowing it.

For the 3 year old kids. I think this is really Disney'd problem. The kid is going into the parks regardless, so it doesn't really affect other guests directly (indirectly by raised ticket prices, etc., is gras[ing at straws). This is Disney's problem, and if they really saw it as an issue and wanted to crack down on it, they would.

I always thought that being an on-property guest at WDW meant that you were welcome to use other resort amenities such as pools. Now this is being taken away too? I guess WDW doesn't need loyal repeat customers anymore, plenty of others to take my place.

General pool hopping has never been allowed (except, possibly, for the early beginnings as The Mom mentioned). Disney cannot take away something that never was. Not going back because of a perceived change in policies? You're going a bit off the deep end, IMO. Don't let the door hit ya...

Rob562

As others have said, it's against the posted rules at all of the WDW Resort pools. And it has been against the rules for as far back as I can remember (we're talking late 90's)

As also explained, you're free to visit other resorts and use the amenities there that you (and everyone else) have to pay for like dining, boat rentals, etc. But "free" amenities are intended solely for the enjoyment of the Guests staying at that resort. (An exception to this being the health clubs, where you can pay a daily fee to use it if you're not staying at that hotel)

*Enforcement* of the rules is spotty, but does that make it OK just so long as you can get away with it? I've heard that pool usage is most often enforced at the Yacht&Beach, Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian. Sometimes the themed pool at the Boardwalk. I doubt you'd have your ID checked at the All-Stars pools...

While the room keys don't specifically state the resort it's from, the first four digits of the ID# printed on the front are specific to your resort. The CM who would be checking the IDs might not know what code belongs to what hotel, but they WOULD know their own hotel's code and would ask anyone else to leave.

My take on it is to follow the pool rules. If you're not staying there (or have the privledge of visiting, like the DVC owners do), you can't use it. What if 50 people came from the All-Stars to use the pool at the Wilderness Lodge? 100? 200? Imagine 200 people from different resorts all descending on the WL's pool, and you're paying the money to stay there and can't enjoy it yourself. Where do you draw the line?

-Rob

yankspy

My two cents:

Yep, they check. We stay at the BC a lot because it is our home resort and I have seen many people kicked out of Stormalong Bay. If you want to use the pool that bad, why not just stay there.:shrug:

pjulie75

People "lying" - such a strong word - about their childrens age - no big deal - goodness it costs a fortune to go to Disney and the amount of merchandise you end up spending while you are there with kids (balloons, soft toys, t-shirts, the list goes on and on....), Disney end up getting your money either way. The difference in price anyway is slight, so really what is the point?:lookaroun I wouldn't do this myself but have no concern with other people that do. Each to their own.

How many people here have bought a McDonalds Kids Happy Meal but are not technically (but may feel it at heart) a kid??? I have, as a prefer the smaller portion.:slurp:

sbkline

People "lying" - such a strong word - about their childrens age - no big deal - goodness it costs a fortune to go to Disney and the amount of merchandise you end up spending while you are there with kids (balloons, soft toys, t-shirts, the list goes on and on....), Disney end up getting your money either way. The difference in price anyway is slight, so really what is the point?:lookaroun I wouldn't do this myself but have no concern with other people that do. Each to their own.

How many people here have bought a McDonalds Kids Happy Meal but are not technically (but may feel it at heart) a kid??? I have, as a prefer the smaller portion.:slurp:

Two totally different things. You don't have to be, or claim to be, a certain age to get a happy meal. Generally, Happy Meals are more intended for kids, but anyone is welcome to buy one. And if there is some policy that officially states that you have to be a certain age, it's never been enforced that I have seen. And when a 35 year old man buys a happy meal for himself, there is no need for him to lie about his age as it's obvious that he's "too old" and it would be up to the employee to enforce the policy.

On the other hand, when it comes to a child's admission price vs an adult admission price at WDW, it's the same product either way: Admission to the theme park. Only kids get a cheaper rate than those over whatever age it is. And getting your overage child in for less than the adult rate involves telling a bald faced lie. Now we can have a religious/philosophical debate on whether or not there are situations that would make lying acceptable, but I can't think of any circumstance that would make it acceptable to lie about your child's age to get him into WDW.

Now, like I said in my initial post, I'm really not too concerned with whether or not someone else does this. That's their business and doesn't affect me any. Do I think it's wrong? Yes. But I'm not gonna get all indignant about it and make a point to post on a messageboard what scum these people are. I just know that I wouldn't do it and I would hope that no one in my group would do it. I just wanted to point out why I think it's an invalid comparison to compare it with getting a Happy Meal at McDonalds.

pjulie75

We all have different opinions and interpretations of things, thats life:animwink: But, I feel, getting a toy with a meal is classing it as a childs meal.

durangojim

Original Poster
My two cents:

When we were at the BC last year there was a very very obnoxious family of about 7 at Stormalong bay near the sandy area where my 2 y/o was playing. A couple of the kids knocked him down in advertantly a couple times and then took the bucket that he was playing with. All this was done while the parents and family would glance over at their kids while they were enjoying their adult beverages and were loud enough that everyone knew it. I after a short while I had enough and walked past them noticing they didn't have wristbands, and made a comment like "Great pool isn't it?" They said "Oh yeah" and then started laughing (maybe because they knew they weren't supposed to be there). Strangely enough, about 10 minutes later a CM instructed them to leave after a bit of a stink that they were staying on Disney property and should be able to use the pool. Now I wonder how the CM found out, hmmmm?:drevil:
I guess that's why pool hopping perturbes me.

jbulkley78

Both are against Disney policy and one might be able to argue that pool hopping cheats guests at the GF (who are paying a lot more for the use of that hotel's ammenities than someone staying at the all stars) out of the abilty to enjoy the cabanas, pool chairs, or slides (I know it's a stretch) whereas someone who doesn't pay for a child doesn't affect you or the company at all as the operating costs and wait times are unchanged.[/quote]

Actually the only pool that you're not allowed to hop into is at the yacht/beach club. It is not against Disney policy to pool hop. If you're staying at any Disney resort you are allowed to use any pool that you like. At the yacht/beach club they actually check your id and give you a wrist band.

MR. DISNEY

Paying for KidsI have a 7 year old girl. When she turned 3 I had to start getting a pass for her. Now I could have said she was 2 1/2 and got her in for free. What kind of example would that be. At the age of 3 I'm telling her it's ok to lie if it saves you money and only costs a big company. You will do good in this world.

Pool Hopping I'm a DVC member at WL. I have been asked to show my Resort ID 2 times at WL (4th of July weekend) and 1 time at BC (just summer you needed to have a wristband) I did as asked and all three times I witnessed people being asked to leave. My thing is I paid for that. I understand it cost alot, but that is what I paid for. No one has to go to WDW. If you cant afford to go then don't go.

fast passes too late If it is ok to use them too late is it ok to use them too early.....why even put a time on them. just let everybody do what they want.

maybe I a little crazy today I didn't get much sleep last night and man this REALLY gets me HOT!!!!!:fork::goodnevil:mad::brick:

durangojim

Original Poster
Actually the only pool that you're not allowed to hop into is at the yacht/beach club. It is not against Disney policy to pool hop. If you're staying at any Disney resort you are allowed to use any pool that you like. At the yacht/beach club they actually check your id and give you a wrist band.

Nope, CMs can and do ask to see your card to check if your hotel code is the same as the pool you're trying to use. They don't do it often, but when it is busy I have seen people removed from the pools at the WL and GF in addition to the BC.

Nemo14

That used to be their policy many years ago, but it is no longer true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom