Which Dinner show is worth it?

I am trying to surprise my husband with a Dinner Show. I am looking into both the Hoop-de-doo and the Spirti of Aloha shows. We are on the DDP so I know that it will take 2 credits and I am wondering if either of these shows is worth it? We check out on a Friday so we probably wouldnt be eating a big meal that day anyway. Anyone with any advice or reccomendations?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
HDDR is a must with our family for every trip. Yes, the jokes are weak, and the menu not the most extravagent, but it's a great show overall.

Upvote 0

gwhb75

I can't tell you which one is better since we've only done Hoop-Dee-Doo, but I can tell you Hoop-Dee-Doo is a good show. It's enjoyable, and the food is pretty good. Also, if you are willing to go to the later show, you can get category 1 seating using the dining plan (category 1 will get you closer to the stage).

Upvote 0

addcogulf

:wave:We really enjoy the Hoop de doo. The Spirit of Aloha is nice, but its not air conditioned and when the weather is hot it can be very uncomfortable. The Hoop de doo is corny, but a lot of fun. We usually book it for the last night of our vacation, Its sort of a tradition. You will probably enjoy it

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

I would definitely do hoop de doo. I thought the food was better and also the show, and I would do it again. Would not do Spirit of Aloha again. To me the food was not as good, and the show was lame. Not worth two credits.

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

The hoop-De-Doo-Review is a very fun filled good time laughing dinner show. We also went to the spirit of aloha and was bored half way through. All it was was the same dance but in different costumes. The food was so so. Now the HDDR offers plenty of food, good laughs, good music and I just love the dessert.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hoop De Doo without a doubt. Also I know the secret....The jokes get funnier in direct proportion to the amount of sangria you drink!!!!! It is a Disney must do as far as I Am concerned. Marie

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Having gone to both I would only recommend the Hoop Dee Doo. Yes, it's hokey but we go every time and laugh out loud!! The Luau was not just a Hawaiian Luau - it has a lame kid coming home from college story line where the kid is at first embarrassed at the family ties and then learns the importance of family (are you bored yet?) We get the dining plan and actually pay up front for the Hoop Dee Doo to get an early show with category 1 and use the extra table service credit for signature dining another night (Narcoosees or Flying Fish).

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I Agree Nacoosees is pretty amazing. I like Citrico's and the Yachtsman Steakhouse as well for a signature dinner. I agree with NYwdwfan, I think the Hoop De Doo is better out of pocket so you can select your show more easily and use a Signature meal somewhere else. I know you will have a great time!!!! Marie

Upvote 0

mls

Hoop-de-doo!

We've been to both, but I'm partial to HDD for nostalgic reasons. It's been the same for years and years and is always a fun time. My boys have also enjoyed it at every age we've went (youngest was 2 years one of the times). It's family friendly, loud, welcoming and the food it pretty good. I especially like the bottomless sangria, but that's a whole other post:ROFLOL:.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We love them both!!! HDDR is our #1 choice!! If your using the DDP jsut make sure to read the fine print as to which seating locations are covered at which shows. IE.....only the last show is covered if you want to sit in section #1 or close to the stage area. We have always gone to the late show and last year we had to go to and earlier one and it was not covered as I ASSUMED.!!!!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I have always wanted to do HDDR. I have been waiting until my wife and I have a child and that is soon. Now I will really have an excuse to do corny things.

Upvote 0

WVParkfan

We went to the Polynesian Resort on Thursday evening (August 12, 2010) for the 5:30 pm Luau show. I made the reservations 5 months ago, but we were worried after reading such bad reviews here. Well, we had a wonderful time and would recommend it to anyone.

As with any dinner show, they take your picture when you get there and try to sell it to you later. We declined.

When you arrive, you get a lei and your picture taken, and then you head down the path to the garden waiting area. When it is time to be seated, they have servers guide everyone to their table. It was a very quick process.

We had a front-row seat, and were very close to the stage. I was very worried about the heat, but it was quiet pleasant.

On our table was a pitcher of ice water, a plate with a delicious salad with Mango Poppy seed dressing, a loaf of Cuban bread, and a fresh pineapple that had been cut up. We devoured the tray and asked for more! By that time, they took our drink orders and began to bring out our food. The ribs were good, but the chicken was fabulous! The rice and veggies were also good, and we had a second plate of the ribs and the rice. The dessert was delicious, but hard to explain the "chocolate volcano." Kind of like a mousse/ pudding on a cake base.

The drinks were plentiful, and my wife and I chose beer. I never had an empty glass the entire evening, and felt that I got my money's worth.

The show was fun, and the dancers were incredibly talented. The costumes were beautiful! The theme of the show is that "Auntie" is going to provide an authentic Luau for her niece who is going away to college on the mainland. The niece's friends (the dancers) help to put on the show. There is also a nephew who helps to MC and provide some comic relief.

The dancing isn't all Hawaiian. Instead, they do native dances from several South Pacific countries. The costumes are beautiful, and each dance is well performed. We were extremely impressed. As everyone points out, the end of the show with the fire twirler is the best part. Not only was he very talented, but he interacted really well with the crowd. He received a standing ovation.

The dinner show was very expensive. It was $28 per person (regardless of age), and they added a $60 gratuity to our bill. So, the total was $238.96 for the four of us. We paid in advance 5 months ago, so it wasn't a surprise. The only surprise was to see it how much the gratuity was when the bill was broken down. I can only assume that it was split with the performers.

In summary, we really enjoyed the food and the performance. Ultimately, we felt it was worth the money. It was our only "big" meal, and we did the Luau instead of a character meal on this trip. We would recommend the show and dinner to anyone who asked, and we would certainly go see it again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom