When Do You Justify A Long Wait Line?

Jasper Dale

Original Poster
we have only been to WDW once in 2001, and are going back this December. our first trip was in April.

i think the most we ever waited for a ride was 20 or 25 minutes. most rides, including the "main event" rides had little or no wait at all.

i've been "catching up" on old posts from the forum, and am truly amazed that people are willing to wait 90 minutes to ride attractions such as Peter Pan or Winnie The Pooh. plus, doing it in the middle of summer.

i guess we were just spoiled the last time we were there. i could maybe see waiting 90 minutes for that one "special "ride that we want to go on, but the idea of spending the majority of my time in line seems totally crazy.

what is it like to go to WDW when it is crowded and spending hours and hours just standing in a line? does it ruin your visit? how on earth do you maintain a feeling of "fun" on days like that?

happymom52003

We will not wait more than 25, maybe 30 minutes. With two small kids, even 30 minutes can be tough. We utilize the fastpass system, and we also get to the parks at opening and go straight to the rides that we know will have insane wait times later in the day.

yankspy

we have only been to WDW once in 2001, and are going back this December. our first trip was in April.

i think the most we ever waited for a ride was 20 or 25 minutes. most rides, including the "main event" rides had little or no wait at all.

i've been "catching up" on old posts from the forum, and am truly amazed that people are willing to wait 90 minutes to ride attractions such as Peter Pan or Winnie The Pooh. plus, doing it in the middle of summer.

i guess we were just spoiled the last time we were there. i could maybe see waiting 90 minutes for that one "special "ride that we want to go on, but the idea of spending the majority of my time in line seems totally crazy.

what is it like to go to WDW when it is crowded and spending hours and hours just standing in a line? does it ruin your visit? how on earth do you maintain a feeling of "fun" on days like that?
Those are the times when I just skip a lot of attractions and just kind of walk around a lot. I do not think I would wait more than 30-40 minutes for an attraction. That said, with a good strategy, you can avoid a lot of lines even when it is busy. Hit the popular attractions early, utilize fast passes, hit some attractions during parades, fireworks, etc.

These are also great times to do other things like visit resorts, rent boats, do some tours, etc.

rsoxguy

I visit a WDW park roughly 30 days a year, and I can not remember the last time I waited in a line longer than 25-30 minutes. I don't know if I'm just not willing to wait for something that is so familiar, or if I'm just not willing to stand in a longer line for anything in life, but we carefully coordinate fast passes and shorter lines so that we never wait very long for any attraction. My wife is good at planning the day so that I rarely have to think about it.

Jane1

well i can tell you the longest i had to wait during the year at disney was 90mins for soaring, it was always long that and rockin roller coaster! i've seen like a 3-4hour wait for peter pan though :S so never got on that. which was annoying. lol but the longest apart from that 20mins. loved bein in disney in down time :D that was good, all rides = walk on :D woohooo! lol

wilary

If you're going over Christmas week, then most waits will be over 30 minutes. You just have to know going in that it will be insanely crowded. Get there when it opens and ride what you can while everything is short. Maximize your fast passes. Then pick your spots of what you want to do. Don't get stressed standing in line. Remember where you are. Enjoy the time with your family. A bad day at WDW is better than any day at work.

And if it turns out not as bad as you planned, it's a bonus. In 2006, we spent the Christmas Eve Day at MK. It didn't get really crowed until about 5:00. So, we were able to do everything we wanted twice with little or no wait.

One thing I will wait for is the Candelight Processional. On Christmas Day 2006, we got in line for the second show as the first show was starting.

MICKEYMOMSCLUB

Hi I'm new to wdwmagic but I've been reading the forums and discussions
over the lasst few months and have just been reading the discussion regarding 'waiting times'. I've been going to wdw for the last 17 years and have learnt over this time how to try and get the best from the day....
use the fastpasses, go if you can to the extra magic hours, go early to the parks and do what needs to be done then go back to your hotel or go
shopping, then go back to the parks/s in the late afternoon/early evening. Doing these things can help with queues and with the heat, if necessary.
The longest I have ever waited in all these years was 60mins back in 1996
when it was the 25th celebration...:p:p

CAPTAIN HOOK

You don't say which part of December you're visiting "The World" but its busier nearer Christmas and New Year.

As you haven't been in 7 years there is an awful lot that you haven't done (and will probably want to do).

My advice - read The Unofficial Guide as they rate every attraction and decide whether you want to experience it yourself.

Only you know how long you're prepared to stand in line for - but in WDW if there's a line for one attraction you can bet there's an equally long line for everything else.

Your alternatives ??? Swim at your resort, walk around the parks, or, spend money in the shops.

sarabi

I waited 40 mins for Soarin' last time we went. It was our last day there, we really wanted to ride it one last time, and the fastpass return times were after we'd have to be gone.

I wait if I feel like it. If not, I don't. :shrug:

Hot4Hudgens

There is nothing at WDW that is worth more than waiting 30 minutes in a line.

Ding Ding!

I love a lot of the attractions at WDW, but I see others waiting in line for rides like Peter Pan or Soarin' (among others) for upto an hour, sometimes more. It's crazy, but at the same time I understand a lot of those same people aren't as fortunate to make it to the parks multiple times a year like some of us and are tryig to knock out as many attractions as they can - no matter how long the wait is.

Personally, I won't jump in line for anything over 30-40 minutes and if I do wait that long it's for Space Mountain or Everest or one of the bick ticket rides.

Philo

Depends on the ride. I'll wait longer for something like Everest than I would for say Primevil whirl.

It also depends on my expectations. I love Philharmagic but because I've never had to wait more than about 10 mins, I would be put off by a 20 minute wait. Having said that, there are certain attractions I want to see at least once during my trip so I'll wait as long as necessary

CaptainAshley

Sometimes if it's our last night in a particular park and like, Space Mountain's had a 60+ min wait our whole vacation, we just suck it up and get in line with the rest. I mean, when you've been on everything a billion times anyway, there just isn't really any urgency to be doing anything too fast. It's a pretty great perk to having been a lot. Just being able to go through and chill, and hang out in line for T.O.T for 45 min if necessary.

Craig & Lisa

having known about one thing is that the wait time listed is never that long unless it goes far beyond the actual entry area. So if the line goes in a bit and the sign says 30 minutes it's more than likely shorter

BRER DAD

The only time I wait that long is if Pamela Anderson is in line next to me.....then it would be worth the wait. Other then that I wouldnt wait in line more then 30 min.

slappy magoo

Ding Ding!

I love a lot of the attractions at WDW, but I see others waiting in line for rides like Peter Pan or Soarin' (among others) for upto an hour, sometimes more. It's crazy, but at the same time I understand a lot of those same people aren't as fortunate to make it to the parks multiple times a year like some of us and are tryig to knock out as many attractions as they can - no matter how long the wait is.

Personally, I won't jump in line for anything over 30-40 minutes and if I do wait that long it's for Space Mountain or Everest or one of the bick ticket rides.

Another determining factor for some is: How badly do your kids want to ride that ride, and how much do you love 'em? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom