Wheelchairs and Strollers Oh My!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
it just amazes me to look back at the pictures of our family trips in the early 70's to mk and there wasn't a stroller in sight. Apparently, in 30 plus years, children are unable to walk in amusement parks anymore :shrug:.

Makes me wonder who the stroller is really for, the child who would be happy just seeing the characters and parades, or the parent that must get on every single ride as fast as they can without that bothersome holdup of having to wait for their child or walk their child's pace :shrug:.

Em

Bravo !

daliseurat

Get over it people... strollers are part of our lifestyle now (and they are part of our vacation lifestyle as well). The strollers are not going anywhere any time soon.

This is sadly true. Before I had a child, there really weren't that many strollers being used. Kids who could walk, walked. And those who had them were pretty considerate. Then friends of ours had kids and we went with them to WDW. There still weren't THAT many strollers, but there were more. And people started getting a bit PUSHY. Once I had a kid, there were MANY more, and tons of rude folks with them. I immediately decided not to be part of the problem and tossed the stroller, put on a big backpack and carried my child on my shoulders for most of the day.

Now when we go, there are even MORE strollers. And so many MORE inconsiderate folks with and without them.

Why has this escalated? More people taking smaller children? Or more people keeping their stroller longer? I know some people like to take a stroller to carry their stuff.

daliseurat

Unfortunately, not everyone will be happy. While there may be a lot of strollers, and some inconsiderate "pushers", the flip side would be some children who are not in strollers, knocking things down in gift shops or running around and being unruly or excited - I am sure it happens now. A stroller would help that situation. All we can do is act how we want others to act and hope for the best. I seriously doubt strollers are ruining anyone's vacation, and like other's have said - for some it is a necessity.

For me, I am unsure what we will do on our upcoming trip. My 4 year old has not sat in a stroller in a long time. I understand little legs getting tired, but we don't really plan to speed race, so stopping to see shows or take breaks should be good enough. I also can't stand the inconvenience of pushing an empty stroller around, and finding a "parking space" and then trying to get out of that "space" later on, with every other stroller parent. That being said - since we are driving down, I will probably throw ours in the car just in case.

Honestly, from my own experience, don't take the stroller. If you bring it, he'll get lazy and want it. If you don't he won't miss it. And you are absolutely right. There are so many opportunities to take a rest at shows, attractions, and just nice places to sit down for lunch or a snack. Life has been so much better without the stroller.

And kids in strollers frequently don't see much other than people from the waist down.

daliseurat

It just amazes me to look back at the pictures of our family trips in the early 70's to MK and there wasn't a stroller in sight. Apparently, in 30 plus years, children are unable to walk in amusement parks anymore :shrug:.

Makes me wonder who the stroller is really for, the child who would be happy just seeing the characters and parades, or the parent that must get on every single ride as fast as they can without that bothersome holdup of having to wait for their child or walk their child's pace :shrug:.

Em

So true.

SeaBreeze

I don't mean to take a shot at people using a stroller for a six year old in the heat. And I don't believe all stroller folks are inconsiderate.

But there are a lot of inconsiderate folks, and they seem to be overpowering the considerate one these days.

Unfortunately, it seems that in general the population has become more inconsiderate, stroller or not. I personally don't judge anyone using a stroller; I'm sure my mother would be blasted on this site because I was in a stroller past the age most seem appropriate. I was prone to heat exhaustion and even heat stroke, so my mom brought a little umbrella stroller for me so I could sleep or cool down while my older brother was still wanting to be in the park. Seemed like a smart compromise to me :shrug:

...and you better believe she made me get out of that thing well before the monorail or bus came so it was folded up in time :lol:

I have, however, noticed that strollers seem to have gotten larger than they used to be in the parks. And unfortunately, people are pushy no matter what. On my last visit a woman completely ran over my foot when I was just standing still; she was horrified by what she did and apologized profusely so I didn't begrudge her at all. It was nice just to be apologized to :)

...now where's that popcorn?

mtnhiker74

I can see both sides of the story here. I am a stroller-pushing father. However, my wife and I have been to Disney World many times by ourselves.

We currently have 3 children. While the oldest one is now 8, he can DEFINITELY walk and has been for some time. However, the 4-year old and 2-year old ride in the dreaded double stroller. Even as a stroller-pushing parent, I find myself getting ticked off at many of the other stroller-pushing parents for being inconsiderate of others. I would never use my stroller as a battering ram to get to the front of the parade crowd, or cut people off, or park it in an undesignated area. Yet, there are a TON of people that do it. It comes down to the lack of manners and social skills that are so missing from our society today.

Yet people without strollers are inconsiderate as well. It's not ONLY the stroller-pushing parents that are out there with their brains turned off. If I am pushing my stroller at a leisurely pace on one side of Main Street, not passing anyone at all, and a couple just HAS TO get across the street .057 seconds faster than they would have if they had let me mosey on by, they step out in front of my stroller and they get hit. Now I'm the bad guy. Or someone is walking across my path looking at a map, I judge how they are walking and then move my stroller at an angle in order to miss them... then they suddenly stop in front of everyone, right in my path, and they get hit. Now I'm the bad guy. Or a parent that does not have their 2-year old in a stroller and they dash off through the crowd and trip over my parked stroller pushed up against the curb. They fall and get hurt. Of course I'm the bad guy. All of these things have happened, and will continue to happen.

Parents with strollers can be inconsiderate. Parents without strollers can be inconsiderate. Couples with no children at all can be inconsiderate. Grandmas on ECVs can be inconsiderate. It's not exclusive to parents with strollers.

A 5-year old that is going to Epcot during the day probably needs a stroller. A walk through all of Future World and a lap around the lake is enough to tire my legs out and I run half-marathons and triathalons on a regular basis. Imagine how a little guy or gal must feel. I'm all for renting a double stroller at MK. However, I'm also all for parking that stroller in Tomorrowland and doing all the rides there, then parking it in Fantasyland and doing all the rides there. No need to load up and push kids from Buzz to SGE. However, maybe you should rethink subjecting your innocent offspring to the horror that is SGE anyway. :)

SeaBreeze

A 5-year old that is going to Epcot during the day probably needs a stroller. A walk through all of Future World and a lap around the lake is enough to tire my legs out and I run half-marathons and triathalons on a regular basis. Imagine how a little guy or gal must feel. I'm all for renting a double stroller at MK. However, I'm also all for parking that stroller in Tomorrowland and doing all the rides there, then parking it in Fantasyland and doing all the rides there. No need to load up and push kids from Buzz to SGE. However, maybe you should rethink subjecting your innocent offspring to the horror that is SGE anyway. :)

I feel much better about having been a five year old in a stroller at Epcot now :lol:

EmOhYouEssE

Not flaming, but I'm curious as to why you wouldn't break Epcot into two days if you have little ones; doing FW the 1st day and then do a leisurely day in the World Showcase after sleeping in and maybe enjoying the pool or a character meal in the AM before it opens? Heck, we do that and we're adults.

Em

SeaBreeze

Not flaming, but I'm curious as to why you wouldn't break Epcot into two days if you have little ones; doing FW the 1st day and then do a leisurely day in the World Showcase after sleeping in and maybe enjoying the pool or a character meal in the AM before it opens? Heck, we do that and we're adults.

Em

I can't speak for the poster you were asking, but I know when I was younger my mom had a hard time getting more than a long weekend off for our trips so we didn't really have time to split any of the parks in two days. I have to say, Ellen's Energy Adventure is an excellent way to recharge for WS :)

Beccone

Although I have never encountered any of these pushy parents with strollers, I can understand why you may get ticked off by getting rammed in the ankes. But with the wheelchairs how can anyone complain about them? If someone is in a wheelchair because they really need it how can you get made because they are in your way or take up too much room? And concerning the strollers, my son is 6 and does not walk unassisted, we had the guest assistance pass and were able to use our stroller as a wheelchair for him, and yes we used it in evry opportunity we could. He uses a walker and wanted to walk as much as possible but even with breaking our days up in the park he really got tired and needed to ride more often than not. And yes I was one of those people who pushed my double stroller up to the curb to watch the parades, sorry but if you don't like it get there earlier so you can get a good spot like we did.

kimmychad

Care for some Pepsi?
pepsi2.gif

i'd rather have a beer, thank you

NewfieFan

Thank you. Just trying to make people see both sides. I will be pushing a stroller myself in the near future and will do everything I can to make sure people around me enjoy themselves too.

I do see both sides but you'll have to understand my bitterness too... I am one of the polite ones, the one who watches where I'm going, if I knock something down I pick it up, etc. Yet people feel they have a right to say that I shouldn't have my stroller at WDW!?! We all have bad experiences but that doesn't mean we have the right to be sterotypical about people. I had someone run over my foot in a wheelchair and didn't even stop to say sorry (and yes, they knew they ran over me) but I don't dislike people in wheelchairs or say there's just too many of them these days!
Sorry, I'm guess I'm little sensitive!:shrug:

This is sadly true. Before I had a child, there really weren't that many strollers being used. Kids who could walk, walked. And those who had them were pretty considerate. Then friends of ours had kids and we went with them to WDW. There still weren't THAT many strollers, but there were more. And people started getting a bit PUSHY. Once I had a kid, there were MANY more, and tons of rude folks with them. I immediately decided not to be part of the problem and tossed the stroller, put on a big backpack and carried my child on my shoulders for most of the day.

Now when we go, there are even MORE strollers. And so many MORE inconsiderate folks with and without them.

Why has this escalated? More people taking smaller children? Or more people keeping their stroller longer? I know some people like to take a stroller to carry their stuff.

I have my own theories on this one (*note* these are my own thoughts, I have not done any research!:p)
- Park attendence has increased over the years
- More families with smaller children are traveling (their Magical Beginnings program was proof that they were trying to market to families with todders/preschoolers).
- Strollers have become more convenient over the years (there are so many small, compact strollers that are very easy to travel with).
- We're more aware of sun safety as time goes on and what better way to keep a child out of the sun but by having them in a stroller with a canopy.

Again, these are my own theories!

MAF

Oooh I can't WAIT to take on the stoller warriors next week. I promise not to hold back. :drevil:

lynnie5150

I have said for years that it would be great to have just one day with NO WHEELS. The number of wheels in that park is CRAZY!!!

Ena 52299

As with everything in life... we are not alone in the world, and especially at Disney world! Do what I do... set up an obsticle corse in your backyard before you leave for your Disney trip. Practice weaving thru the cones as if they were strollers that have stopped dead in their tracks in the middle of main street. Jump over the hurdles as if they are strollers blocking entrances, and then stand there and smack the back of your ankles with a big stick as if the strollers were raming you once again. LOL!!! I better get in shape.. only a few more months left! :ROFLOL:

wonka

It just amazes me to look back at the pictures of our family trips in the early 70's to MK and there wasn't a stroller in sight. Apparently, in 30 plus years, children are unable to walk in amusement parks anymore :shrug:.

I'm trying to avoid the "bait" as well as other smart parents, but had to put down my popcorn to comment on this. In the early 70's, there was one park. If there was one park now and I was going to Florida for a week, sure, my oldest could handle the Magic Kingdom spread out casually over 3 days.

With the increased number of parks and the increased number of park attendees, it is much more tiring on the little ones and much easier for the rude non-stroller pushers (yes, they exist, too) to knock little ones down or cut between them and their parents. It can be very hard to get reunited with a child when they are being cut off by a streaming sea of people.

Em

As always with this type of discussion, you've left no middle ground; no gray area. It's funny how black and white things become when you're trying to support your argument.

What about the child who is tired and napping in a stroller while their parents are taking a leisurely stroll around-the-world at Epcot? What about a family where a younger child doesn't want to walk anymore but an older child and the parents are still rested and ready to continue exploring the parks?

The real problem behind all of these "I hate X people at Disney" posts (be it people in wheelchairs or strollers, smokers, people who don't "continue to the end of their row", people who cut, etc...) are the rude people who don't know how to behave themselves in a public environment. The more people you add to the mix, the more you're going to run into it -- at theme parks, at malls, and even *ahem* internet message boards.

The best thing to do rather than condemn those who are polite, courteous and follow the rules, is to continue acting the right way yourself and enjoy your vacation.

If it's a serious enough offense that it needs to be brought to someone's attention, do so; it's better than getting in a fistfight in front of your kids, or someone else's, in the happiest place on earth. ;)

LaughingGravy

munch munch..sip...

Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems that the rented strollers, even the singles, are quite a bit wider than they need to be, or used to be.
Look at your basic umbrella stroller, with the curved umbrella hands. There are some in the first picture on the first page of the thread.
It's compact, foldable when unlatched, and the kid's feet are out front.
The rental single is not only extra wide, but also has a 4-5" bumper area on the front.

There are multiple factors coming into play here.

Parents pushing strollers they're not used to, like someone who drives an SUV that is too big for their skills (i.e, getting out of a parking place in a timely manner without 8 maneuvers to do it).

The extra bumper and extra width being used as battering rams since the kids will be protected by all the extra plastic.

It looks like it's only an extra inch or so on either side of the rentals compared to even a full blown home use stroller with cupholders and all. But an inch is as good as a mile when you're not paying attention because "you're on vacation, and you've paid good money to be here, right?

If only umbrella strollers, or something smaller were used, the kids would be in a little more danger and the parents would likely be more careful as a result. You're pretty careful while walking, right?

Does anyone have a picture of the older strollers that you used to be able to rent, before these "Little Tikes" plastic behemoths?

Also, I stole some comments from a family at another website as follows---
---------
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Having just returned from an exhausting, yet wonderful week in Disney, I'd like to share with your readers what we found to be our "saving grace". Our girls are 5 and 7, yet we decided to bring along an umbrella type stroller for each of them. We used them to haul carry-on luggage to the gate of the plane, easily gate-checked them, and brought them into the parks all 7 days of our stay. They fold so easily and are so light, that getting on and off the bus was quick and simple. The girls rode in them lmost all of the time. This not only saved time(we walked at our pace, not theirs'), but we knew where they were at all times! They in turn saved energy by riding (and occasionally napping). We were always able to spot them easily in the stroller parking, unlike ALL those park rentals! The best part was that at the end of each day, when the girls(and we) were most tired, we didn't have to return our strollers inside the park exit and then make the long trek to the bus pick-up! So many people commented on how they wished they had thought of the"outside the park gates" travelling around. We used so many of tips from the (edit) newsletter and the (edit) website, that we wanted to share our tip!
-------

____now, there's a good idea!
[/FONT]

EmOhYouEssE

I'm trying to avoid the "bait" as well as other smart parents, but had to put down my popcorn to comment on this. In the early 70's, there was one park. If there was one park now and I was going to Florida for a week, sure, my oldest could handle the Magic Kingdom spread out casually over 3 days.

With the increased number of parks and the increased number of park attendees, it is much more tiring on the little ones and much easier for the rude non-stroller pushers (yes, they exist, too) to knock little ones down or cut between them and their parents. It can be very hard to get reunited with a child when they are being cut off by a streaming sea of people.

As always with this type of discussion, you've left no middle ground; no gray area. It's funny how black and white things become when you're trying to support your argument.

What about the child who is tired and napping in a stroller while their parents are taking a leisurely stroll around-the-world at Epcot? What about a family where a younger child doesn't want to walk anymore but an older child and the parents are still rested and ready to continue exploring the parks?

The real problem behind all of these "I hate X people at Disney" posts (be it people in wheelchairs or strollers, smokers, people who don't "continue to the end of their row", people who cut, etc...) are the rude people who don't know how to behave themselves in a public environment. The more people you add to the mix, the more you're going to run into it -- at theme parks, at malls, and even *ahem* internet message boards.

The best thing to do rather than condemn those who are polite, courteous and follow the rules, is to continue acting the right way yourself and enjoy your vacation.

If it's a serious enough offense that it needs to be brought to someone's attention, do so; it's better than getting in a fistfight in front of your kids, or someone else's, in the happiest place on earth. ;)

I don't know how to break up quotes, so I will address each of your issues one at a time. Yes, back in the 70's, there was just one park, but we did it in one day. Do you only make one visit to the MK in a week long trip? My guess would be "no", so your argument there is moot. Or are you implying that the MK has suddenly doubled in size?

Like you said in your 2nd post, it is EASIER for the stroller pushers. Enough said. What about making it easy on the child to go at their pace? Walk slowly and hold their hand. Park attendence can't be worse than opening day at DL, and, whoa, no strollers in those pictures either (I wasn't there, but have seen pictures). That argument doesn't fly either.

For the child napping in the stroller while their parents stroll around WS, you have just made my point. The vacation is FOR THE PARENTS. How comfortable can a child be in the heat scrunched in a stroller? That is for the parents convenience only. If the child is that tired, go back to the hotel for a nap.

I don't remember ever saying "i hate x people", but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I simply said that people that use strollers to go at a pace that the child can't keep up with are taking the vacation for themselves, not their child. Feeling guilty much??

If the older child is still ready to explore the parks, then it is the parents responsibility to take care of the younger child. If the parents refuse to split up, then the older child can go back and swim while the younger one naps. If little Johnny throws a tantrum because he can't stay in the parks and must go back to rest/swim, then he's probably over tired and needs the nap as well. No support for your argument there either. You have two choices, one take the sleeping child back for a needed rest and meet up later, or everyone go back and take a break. Once again, you can't call it a "family" vacation if everyone is not willing to give something up.

Regardless of whether there are courteous or polite stroller pushers, courteous or polite people at the mall or on message boards, the simple fact is that MOST people who insist that their walking age child needs a stroller to "enjoy" the park are doing it for themselves, regardless of how courteous they act when doing it. If you want your child to enjoy the vacation, do it at THEIR pace, not at your own.

Em

glingo

It has been years since we have needed to use a stroller but when we did it was a sanity saver not having to hear DD whine! I have nothing against the strollers, but I always come home with plenty of ankle/shin bruises. The people using them need to be more aware about what/who is around.

The scooters is where I have my BIG problem. I understand that there are many that use them because they really *need* them, however on one trip in 2004 there seemed to be a really large amount of people using them that didn't have a true need. One woman we kept running into day after day would use it to go to the front of the lines, but when we would see her at the resort she was moving about freely without any aid at all. The flip side is that I saw the cutest older couple who were moving painfully slow, but they were moving on their own...(They really were sweet to watch together,) Some do have mobility issues that slow them down, but so what. Go slower and don't abuse the scooters!

****Before anyone gets offended you need to know that I am 35 and inherited horrible knees. I have had both knees "rebuilt" in the last five years. I have been to WDW both before and after surgeries. - One visit two weeks before surgery! So I am speaking from personal experience. Sometimes it is painful, sometimes I am slow, but I have the ability to move. I also have the ability to take breaks and send the family ahead when necessary.

That's my two cents.

LaughingGravy

Someone made a comment earlier about their foot being run over by someone and the driver knowing it and not caring.

I am not afraid to stop that kind of person (driver), running ahead to get right in front of them, and politely, yet firmly, demand an apology, while stopping them from proceeding by holding their stroller/ECV, whatever in place while the discussion happens.
This is not assault. The assault is that you were run over.
That's true if it's me who gets run over or someone in my party.
It only takes an extra 30 seconds or so out of a day and if there's someone that inconsiderate, and you're dead sure about it, make the effort. Maybe they'll think twice before doing it again, or simply (gasp!) be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom