Wheelchairs and Strollers Oh My!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnhiker74

In following a very wise poster towards the beginning of this thread, I too wrote out a lengthy response here. However, I am going to try and use my better judgment at this moment and just delete it.

The Mom: Your post was superb. I second everything you said.

Signed,
Parent of fat, unsuccessful, non-independent children because once a year they ride in a stroller for 7 days.

daliseurat

You know everytime one of these stroller threads comes up it quickly degenerates into 'the way I raise my kids is so much better than the way you raise yours'....which is completely pathetic. Yes there are inconsiderate people out there, and they even vacation at WDW too - the only way you can truly leave the 'real world' behind is if you are rich enough to have the park completely to yourself. So yes, sometimes people are thoughtless and sometimes the kids are out of control....but to make a blanket assumption that ALL parents are selfish and lazy and not thinking of their kids at all when they vacation so they force them into a stroller, that's just plain silly. I am sorry for those that have had such negative experiences with strollers (or ECVs or wheelchairs), I have not had such a problem with them. As a stroller user I can honestly say I have never run into anyone either. According to some here, though, I'm condemned anyway. Oh well....:shrug:

I really don't believe anyone here believes that people who have strollers with children over the age of 3 are bad parents. And all of us parents use a stroller to be able to get out of the house with our younger children and keep them safe, out of the sun and give them a place to nap if they need to. I have many friends who, like me ditched the stroller by age three. Most of them will still bring a stroller for their five and six year old to Disney. They feel safer with a stroller. They like the convenience. Not my way of parenting, but we all have our ways. A home my friends and I parent very much the same. Out of the house the rules change. I might smirk to myself at a parent with a seven year old in a stroller, but it's not my concern. As long as everyone, with or without a stroller is considerate, there's no problem.

RogueHabit

It is comical really - how use of strollers has turned into a battle about parenting really. I am sure most parents will agree with me when I say "I was a great mom, BEFORE I had kids"
Well, I wouldn't say that about myself.... Can you work out why..?

EmOhYouEssE

Oh I understand logic and common sense, I can also recognise when someone posts opinion as fact.

But unlike you my only qualifications are in systems management and process implementation, so Im not qualified to comment on child development but from my experiences working in adult education, and in a purely non scientific but common sense /logic, Id have said that changes in the domestic situation are as likely, if not more so, to contribute to feelings of self worth than use of a push chair in a theme park.

Don't ever recall stating my opinion as fact, but, if you want to believe that. Go ahead. I'm stating my experience with what I see, it's that simple.

Side note: Stick to systems management and process implementation, as your common sense/logic ideal of how patterns of behavior effect children is way off base; but thanks for your little input there skipper :wave:.

joanna71985

You know everytime one of these stroller threads comes up it quickly degenerates into 'the way I raise my kids is so much better than the way you raise yours'....which is completely pathetic. Yes there are inconsiderate people out there, and they even vacation at WDW too - the only way you can truly leave the 'real world' behind is if you are rich enough to have the park completely to yourself. So yes, sometimes people are thoughtless and sometimes the kids are out of control....but to make a blanket assumption that ALL parents are selfish and lazy and not thinking of their kids at all when they vacation so they force them into a stroller, that's just plain silly. I am sorry for those that have had such negative experiences with strollers (or ECVs or wheelchairs), I have not had such a problem with them. As a stroller user I can honestly say I have never run into anyone either. According to some here, though, I'm condemned anyway. Oh well....:shrug:

Please don't say that Jenny! That is not true.:(

Montyboy

Very nice old ladies

Slam on the brakes while walking? I usually keep it below 55mph while in the parks.
Accidents happen, but don't blame the person you hit - just apologize.

Having written this - it was always my mother and grandmother who would take one step off the end of an escalator and stop! I always asked them what they expected the people behind them to do.

EmOhYouEssE

Having written this - it was always my mother and grandmother who would take one step off the end of an escalator and stop! I always asked them what they expected the people behind them to do.

You know, my mother used to do that too. I asked her why once and she said she was checking to make sure her laces weren't caught in the escalator :shrug:. Even at age 6, I figured if they were, she would probably know without stopping and looking :lol:.

Em

KristieLC

Well, I wouldn't say that about myself.... Can you work out why..?

There really isn't anything to work out - it is just a figure of speech, meaning that even before having kids, we all have our ideas about how children should act, what age they should start doing or stop doing certain things, and how parents should parent but for the most part, until we have kids of our own, we really don't have any idea of the reality of parenting. The reality is, you have to parent based on the child and not all children are the same. Another reality is, at least for me, and I am willing to bet most parents here - sometimes kids don't listen and do act up, despite good parenting.

Montyboy

I'm an awesome parent

When my daughter got tired, I put her on my shoulders. She got a good view and we still had some agility. Falling asleep wasn't an option and I have to admit some of the treks to the bus or room at the end of the night were brutal, but I love her.

PotteryGal

Please don't say that Jenny! That is not true.:(

Oh, I don't really believe that, Jo....just saying the world is an imperfect place and when people generalize on any topic there's going to be someone or some situation that doesn't fit the bill.
In our case, DS has autism....so the stroller is a sensory retreat for him. Sometimes the music and the crowds, the heat, even the awesome performances can be overwhelming to even the most neurotypical of us and we need a break for it all. He climbs in the stroller, chills for a while, and then climbs out for the next thing he wants to do :shrug:
My situation is not typical...but would the stranger who generalizes know that? Probably not. Would it stop them from commenting? Probably not. Some people just have to comment. :shrug:

ELopez

I have 4 kids. My oldest will be 10 during our trip this October. Our youngest is 2. I cannot wait to go to Disney without a stoller!!!

I feel a stroller is best for my youngest child for many reasons (most of which have already been covered in this thread). It is not quicker to get from one attraction to another!! It is a total pain to locate your stroller, put the child in, buckle her, go to the next attraction, park the stroller in the appropriate place, unbuckle the child, and then go into the attraction - only to exit and do it all over again. I am NOT complaining, I am just saying that IT IS EXHAUSTING! I would never choose to use a stroller to go "at my own pace".

I have never been hit, and I don't think I have ever hit anyone, but I feel people use my stroller as an excuse to go around me (read: cut in front of me). Again, not complaining - just pointing out that using a stroller is not a convenience. I honestly look forward to the day we can go without one. (maybe next year?!)

And for the record, my children are thin and well-behaved - except for the 2 year old. She is a total ball of fire.

TinkerbellK

There were also few people in wheelchairs, etc because back then, they just didn't go anywhere, just as you see very few minorities in old photos. A family did not bring a baby or preschool child out in public much, and families rarely went out to eat. Of course, most mothers still didn't work fulltime, and a plane ticket could cost close to a month's wages for blue collar workers, so most vacations were within driving distance. A WDW vacation was out of reach for most families, unless they lived close by. It was truly a dream, once in a lifetime trip, back then.

Times change, and so do family situations. Some changes are detrimental, while others are a vast improvement, but we can't go backwards.

My children used strollers in WDW (but not at home) until they were in Kindergarten. After that, we just took things at a slower pace. But because they HAD been to WDW in a stroller when younger, we didn't have a need to see everything, anyways.

If children are getting plenty of exercise, eat healthy, well balanced meals, and sleep regular hours at home, I have no problem with them using strollers, eating burgers and fries, and staying up late at WDW...as long as it is the exception, not the rule.

Riding around WDW in a stroller is not going to make a child overweight; he/she was that way before the trip. The increased use of strollers, ECVs, etc at WDW is not the cause of obesity, but the result of a bigger problem. And a certain percentage of the increase (I don't know the exact number, and choose not to make up my own) is also due to an increased number of people who were unable to come to WDW in the past because of physical limitations but have been given the means to do so now.

So yes, the guests at WDW now are most certainly different than those who visited 40 years ago, but so is our society.

The voice of reason!

20 years ago my disability would have left me homebound, especially because average people did not want to be "bothered" by seeing wheelchairs. scooters did not exist as such yet...

Yes, there are more wheelchairs and scooters. not because people are lazier, but those of us who were outcasts and outsiders before now are able to go... it is not about ease or getting somewhere faster. in fact, with my wheelchair, it takes me longer to get around and i generally have to wait longer at rides... i am so happy that disney is so accessible and that i can actually enjoy daiyl life with my family at disney in a way i cant anywhere else

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Side note: Stick to systems management and process implementation, as your common sense/logic ideal of how patterns of behavior effect children is way off base; but thanks for your little input there skipper :wave:.

As I said myqualifications are in management and I claim no expert knowledge, however Mrs Saks qualification is in Paediatric development, so I can only refer to items that she has had lying around and I have read. So from what I have read, it seems indicate that patterns of behaviour are shaped by the environment. To you that is being pushed in a chair past toddler stage, to them it ranges from genetic susceptibility to diet and of course nurturing or neglectful home.
That however is not what this thread is about and it seems to be far more important to you, to be able to criticise others on child rearing than just push chairs. :shrug:

We do however seem to agree that many of todays children are wrapped in cotton wool and not allowed the freedoms we were.

But I shall digress no more.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
**Goes and gets the popcorn**:lookaroun

**Brings the sodas** :wave:

eating-popcorn-03.gif

Thanks...I baked some cookies.:slurp:

Care for some Pepsi?
pepsi2.gif

It's a Par-Tay in here!!

*joins the onlookers*

NewfieFan

Since so many people posted that their kids STILL fell asleep in the stroller even after they went to the resort for a nap mid afternoon I will not quote one specifice quote but:

I will say that I would think that is a sign that you are keeping them out WAY too late and they aren't getting the comfortable rest that a child needs. You can attempt to spin it any way you like it, but it is selfish to expect your child to sleep in the heat crunched up in a stroller and expect them to get "decent" sleep. Perhaps sticking more to their normal bedtime and allowing them a comfortable sleep all evening would curtail some of the over exhaustion they are displaying? Oh wait, that would be too hard on the parents. :rolleyes: Then the parents couldn't have the relaxation time THEY need (who cares what the kids need?, Dang bothersome things aren't the ones paying good money to see every corner of WDW).

Sorry to sound harsh. Really. But the overwhelming amount of strollers in each park is ridiculous and 99% of the time it's for children of an age that don't need them. People complain about how crowded the parks are, yet they load up their Graco Hummer and add to the congestion.

I'm glad DL doesn't rent the double strollers. I wish WDW would go that route as well.

Em

I'm not going to get my panties in a knot over one poster on this board but you have pushed the limits for me on this topic!!! You have been rude and condescending to a lot of posters on this topic - commenting on people's parenting skills (people you don't even know)!!! Telling us we're selfish b/c we let our children sleep in a stroller! COME OFF IT - let me ask you again... do you have kids of your own b/c if you don't than I'm sorry you have no right (and yes you heard me correctly) to post about this topic anymore and comment on other people's parenting skills (not that you know how any of us parent anyway:rolleyes:)!

Parents are allowed to vacation, we're allowed to take strollers, we're allowed to let our children sleep in strollers, car seats, shopping carts, heck, even the concrete sidewalk! And all of this has no bearing on our parenting skills, how our children behave, or what type of adults they turn into! End of story!!!!!!!!!

bugsbunny

Things that I have found most common:

Parents biggest response usually is something like "I don't know what we did wrong. Johnny/Susy Snowflake got everything they ever wanted. They never had to do anything. I don't know why they are doing this/that".

Most of the children I deal with are from middle class or affluent homes. The parents all think their little darling was nothing shy of spectacular (which they should), but they never instilled a sense of independence on their child; therefore the child responds negatively when in a social setting outside of their immediate home.

A LOT of the children are overweight and unsuccessful in their environment because of the sense of not being able to do things on their own that was instilled since childhood. So if you are asking if I see a pattern of this behavior with people posting that they push their 5+ year old around in a stroller, yes, I certainly do.

Em

You couldnt be more correct.

Not all kids are special or the smartest. Nature has shown us for eons that not all members of a species are great. You have some winners and also a whole bunch of losers. Human beings are no different.

My son could recite the alphabet by the time he was 14 months and do 30 piece puzzles by the time he was 2 years old. I NEVER go around telling people how bright and clever my kid is. I don't need to. I have doctors and educators telling me it all the time, so I don't need to go the roof tops to shout it out. However, I see so many other parents doing it and to me, I just smile and dont say a thing. But thats because your own kids are your world and ANYTHING they do seems to be AMAZING and therefore, your kid is bright and clever...no matter the fact that he/she should have been doing those things 6-12 months ago.

Kids get pampered and cultivated by their parents rather than letting the kid grow up and learn. Shuttling your kid to every group activity you can possibly sign them up for, cooking every meal for them, making sure you always do their laundry, not making them get a summer job because you want them to "enjoy" their summer, etc. All of that just sets your kid up for failure when they get out on their own. Kids need to experience what its like to lose at competitions or other things to instill a sense of humility as well as accomplishment. Instead, EVERYBODY gets a trophy, etc.

Like the quote above, the parents can just never figure out why little Jonny cant hold a job or move out on his own. He did so well in school and we provided anything he ever wanted. We were just trying to give him "all the advantages". In fact, all you did was teach him that Mommy/Daddy will always do all his planning, decisions, and providing. Now that he's out on his own, he can't cook, can't do his own laundry, doesn't even know how many miles you should change the oil in his car, etc. Reminds me of the time I saw a 20 year old couple arguing over how far the Moon was from Earth while in Tomorrow Land while at DL. The guy was adamant that it couldnt be more than 500 miles away. I just deadpanned to him "Do you really think that Chicago is further away from Los Angeles than the Moon?". And this guy was 20 years old!!!!

I knew people that were in their late 20s that took their laundry to their parent's house on the weekends so thier mom would do it. Or stopped at their parent's house every day on the way home from work and pick up a plate of food.

I know this is getting off of topic, but the quote is right on. What seed you plant is what crop you get latter on. Even with real plants, if you give it too much of everything, it can't survive on its own becuase it never had to experience hardship. Same works for kids.

happymom52003

I know this is getting off of topic...

To say the least.:hammer:

I think this thread is ready for a lockdown or a move to chit chat.

I mean, seriously....this is getting ridiculous.

Having a debate about the different aspects of stroller usage at WDW is one thing......

But telling parents (that you know NOTHING about other than they let their kids ride in strollers at WDW) that their parenting skills are messed up and their kids are going to turn into little heathens that can't function in society is INSANE. That has NOTHING to do with strollers or Walt Disney World!!! Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

If you want to discuss the (apparent) horrible downfall of parenting in this country, start a thread about it in chit chat! That way people who actually want to read and post about that topic will have a place to do so.

THIS thread is about strollers and wheelchairs. At least is WAS about that.

Unfortunately, it seems that in general the population has become more inconsiderate, stroller or not. I personally don't judge anyone using a stroller; I'm sure my mother would be blasted on this site because I was in a stroller past the age most seem appropriate. I was prone to heat exhaustion and even heat stroke, so my mom brought a little umbrella stroller for me so I could sleep or cool down while my older brother was still wanting to be in the park. Seemed like a smart compromise to me :shrug:

...and you better believe she made me get out of that thing well before the monorail or bus came so it was folded up in time :lol:

I have, however, noticed that strollers seem to have gotten larger than they used to be in the parks. And unfortunately, people are pushy no matter what. On my last visit a woman completely ran over my foot when I was just standing still; she was horrified by what she did and apologized profusely so I didn't begrudge her at all. It was nice just to be apologized to :)

...now where's that popcorn?

Putting on my "grouchy old lady" hat for a moment:
People in general seem much more rude in the past decade. I've had doors dropped on me while I was holding a full tray, been bumped into and pushed without even a perfunctory "sorry" and (this is my pet peeve) been subject to loud, obnoxious gum smacking and cracking right in my ear at nearly every ride/show in the park. I'm not even mentioning the cell phone/texting distractions. What ever happened to manners? As has been said, strollers are just fine, it's rude people who are the problem.

O.K...putting my Disney smile back on now!

MousDad

My son could recite the alphabet by the time he was 14 months and do 30 piece puzzles by the time he was 2 years old. I NEVER go around telling people how bright and clever my kid is. I don't need to. I have doctors and educators telling me it all the time, so I don't need to go the roof tops to shout it out. However, I see so many other parents doing it and to me, I just smile and dont say a thing.

:lookaroun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom