"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

WED99

You give Universal far too little credit with the Spider-man ride system. It's much more than just an EMV knockoff. Not to mention they revolutionized 3-D projection technology with synching it with movement for Spider-man making it realistic, a technique known as "squinching". Transformers also uses a revolutionary elevator system in the ride twice.

Hulk's launch system was so advanced and the first of its kind that it required it's own power system or else it risked blowing the local systems.

The Musion projection technology for Disaster and Forbidden Jounrey's queue was the first of it's kind.

T2: 3D's mix of live actors, 3-D, and animatronics isn't something you see at Disney.

Do I need to go on?
No, you stated your point. Unfortunately, someone with a lot more knowledge of the parks could give you a list triple the size of that for Disney innovations. They simply don't compare. And although it's not an EMV knock-off, it was the inspiration.

WDW1974

You'd be surprised if you knew how Imagineering actually worked. Yes there's a small team of them who do create concepts, but they are also doing a LOT of outsourcing contract work to other companies, or hiring people for a project and letting them go. Oh, and Universal picked up several Imagineers from Disney back in the 90's...when IOA was being designed.

Universal continues to innovate, Disney continues to stagnate

Yep.

And without sounding like my bitter old pal Merfie, WDI does not in any way, shape or form have the same talent base now that they did in the 60s-90s ... not even close.

WED99

That's not reality, sorry. And I have friends who work there now and they say it's toxic as it has been for a very long time.

Can I ask you a question? (just did) How old are you and what do you want to do when you grow up (gonna assume you aren't 39 here)?
My age doesn't matter to this discussion so I'm not going to bother stating it, but Imagineer is my dream job. I will never stop trying until I am apart of their team! Your friends interested in a trade? :p

GLaDOS

No, you stated your point. Unfortunately, someone with a lot more knowledge of the parks could give you a list triple the size of that for Disney innovations. They simply don't compare. And although it's not an EMV knock-off, it was the inspiration.

Disney's also been in the business for far longer than Universal. The point wasn't who's been more revolutionary, the point was Universal is innovating A LOT since 99/2000, and especially in the past 4 years.

MerlinTheGoat

I saw that you will design your car before the ride and then the ride is testing of what you created. I had no idea how it will work but thats just what I heard.
There is supposed to be something in the queue area where you can pick out car components, but I believe insiders here have stated your choices won't be taken into account to change the way your car moves when you're riding the ride itself. Might be addressed on the car's video screen or something akin to that but that's not jaw dropping in any sense of the word.

This type of "choose your own whatever" thing was used in Horizons originally (and I might be wrong there, may have been used elsewhere before but I'm no expert). It was new, cool, and different back then. Not to mention much more impressive and immersive than current onride videos due to the omnimax screens completely surrounding your vehicle. And an incredibly dumb version of onride video was recently added to the horrible new descent of Spaceship Earth (it's largely just a distraction from the fact that the refurb budget was slashed and they removed all the scenery that used to be there).

Do they? I mean really, do they? They had 1 new land with 2 re-themed rides. Sure FJ was good and the KUKA arm is innovative, but thats all they've really done. The area is the highlight and sure is great, but just follows the guidelines created by Disney over 50 years ago. Spiderman and Transformers ride system was just Uni's version of the EMV system, an innovation designed by Disney.
Yes they do really. Besides trying to disregard all that Universal did in the past decade, especially Forbidden Journey, their expansions and plans just keep coming and coming. The Gringotts Coaster for one, but even the Hogwarts Express is expected to be incredible.

GLaDOS

Not to mention, Universal's original rides were all pretty groundbreaking. To the point where they unfortunately had a ton of problems with the tech.

Watch Martin's vid about Jaws and see the crazy things the original ride did.

Kong had 2 giant animatronics that weren't inoperable for 4.5 years and illuminated by a strobe light.

WDW1974

My age doesn't matter to this discussion so I'm not going to bother stating it, but Imagineer is my dream job. I will never stop trying until I am apart of their team! Your friends interested in a trade? :p

It sorta does because I've been around Disney fan forums for what I believe is all or most of your life. I know people who work for Imagineering and others who used to and work for other companies or have their own design firms. ... This may shock you, but I am quite familiar with fanbois who come and post on Disney forums whose dream is to be a WDI employee. You are one of many ... and I try and give them some honest truths about the chances of that and why it isn't the dream job they believe it to be.

WED99

Not to mention, Universal's original rides were all pretty groundbreaking. To the point where they unfortunately had a ton of problems with the tech.

Watch Martin's vid about Jaws and see the crazy things the original ride did.

Kong had 2 giant animatronics that weren't inoperable for 4.5 years and illuminated by a strobe light.
Whose martin? I'm interested by that video :) link would be appreciated.

Just pointing out Kong was designed by Bob Gurr, former Disney Imagineer.

WED99

It sorta does because I've been around Disney fan forums for what I believe is all or most of your life. I know people who work for Imagineering and others who used to and work for other companies or have their own design firms. ... This may shock you, but I am quite familiar with fanbois who come and post on Disney forums whose dream is to be a WDI employee. You are one of many ... and I try and give them some honest truths about the chances of that and why it isn't the dream job they believe it to be.
If you dream enough it will happen. If you never give up then you always succeed, and the end result will always be rewarding.

Pixiedustmaker

It sorta does because I've been around Disney fan forums for what I believe is all or most of your life.

First time I've seen somebody reference their time spent on internet forums as valuable experience. Thing about internet forums is you often don't learn much new information or become an expert in anything, you just sit around and self-perpetuate your own assumptions and argue with folks. Mostly recreational, not a real education.

I know people who work for Imagineering and others who used to and work for other companies or have their own design firms. ...

OK, probably not an Imagineer.

This may shock you, but I am quite familiar with fanbois who come and post on Disney forums whose dream is to be a WDI employee.

How could you be 'quite familiar' with people you've never met? Do you know them well enough to conclude that their "dream" was fulfilled, or if it perhaps spurred them to make an interesting career choice?

You are one of many ... and I try and give them some honest truths about the chances of that and why it isn't the dream job they believe it to be.

So, in between the borderline histrionic posts, occasional putdowns, and odd collection of self-referencing slogans regarding all things "Spirited", you are also a de facto career counselor for WDI?

I think the journey is more important than the destination, if somebody wants to aim for working for WDI at some point, why not?

Pixiedustmaker

Thank you! I just want to clarify I'm not that young :p I know my beliefs make me sound 7 but I'm 15 :D Once again but, Thank You!

I think it is great you have a positive outlook. That, IMHO, is the most important thing. Circumstances, career plans often change, but it is nice, important even, to have a longterm goal.

The people who have succeeded in life, (like Olympics gold medalists I've known, movie stars, bands), are positive professional people who wake up each day and give it their best and remain positive. I know a guy who had to give up a major role in a very big film due to a prior commitment because he had integrity. (Think X-Men big). He didn't turn his back on a prior commitment to a smaller project, and you know what? He was offered larger roles later on.

*Positive Outlook
*Professionalism
*Longterm goals
*Work very hard

TestTrack Dummy

I can understand WDW1974s points on Imagineering not being what it used to be. But hey you never know, maybe people like WED99 can make a big impact on how imagineering works when they make it.

Disneyfan_76

I think UNI has been doing great but im MY personal OPINION i believe Disney is still #1. Now i agree that Disney has really been slacking but i honestly think they are waking up. New Fantasyland doesnt have any amazing E tickets but its beautiful and to me the enviroment is part of the attraction. While not in WDW Carsland is stellar, Test Track is getting its re-imagining, We have yet to see what Avatar will bring, and then there's whatever will come to Hollywood Studios (hopefully Lucasland). Disney has been in a slump but atleast they are coming back and in my opinion Disney still is better then UNI.

While I am not happy that they came up with a glorified M&G for the Belle's cottage, I do have to say that the mirror effect is done REALLY well, as are the animatronics. It gives me hope as to what disney CAN do. I would just like to see more rides and less M&G, but that is my personal opinion.

Disneyfan_76

Thank you! I just want to clarify I'm not that young :p I know my beliefs make me sound 7 but I'm 15 :D Once again but, Thank You!

Just keep in mind that Disney can be a very strict employer to work for. I don't think anyone here is trying to "kill" your dream of what it is like to be an imagineer, or damper your spirits. They are just trying to give you a bit of sense of reality, mostly that it can be quite different behind the scenes. It's not all magic and pixie dust. And, in the end, working for Disney is just a job. It CAN be a really good job, but it is all about attitude and realistic expectations.

WED99

Just keep in mind that Disney can be a very strict employer to work for. I don't think anyone here is trying to "kill" your dream of what it is like to be an imagineer, or damper your spirits. They are just trying to give you a bit of sense of reality, mostly that it can be quite different behind the scenes. It's not all magic and pixie dust. And, in the end, working for Disney is just a job. It CAN be a really good job, but it is all about attitude and realistic expectations.
Just want to point out I never said people were trying to kill my dreams....
And yes I know it's just a job, but I have always wanted to work for theme parks and may as well go for the best! I like strict jobs, it keeps me on track. I just want to experience what it's like to build something for years then watch as it makes millions happy! :)

HMF

I think it is great you have a positive outlook. That, IMHO, is the most important thing. Circumstances, career plans often change, but it is nice, important even, to have a longterm goal.

The people who have succeeded in life, (like Olympics gold medalists I've known, movie stars, bands), are positive professional people who wake up each day and give it their best and remain positive. I know a guy who had to give up a major role in a very big film due to a prior commitment because he had integrity. (Think X-Men big). He didn't turn his back on a prior commitment to a smaller project, and you know what? He was offered larger roles later on.

*Positive Outlook
*Professionalism
*Longterm goals
*Work very hard
The fact of the matter is a positive outlook is all well and good but there is a real world out there and it's largely not a positive place, Should it be? , Absolutely. Is it? Absolutely Not. Idealism can be a wonderful thing but reality takes precedence. You can only accentuate the positive so much because the fact of the matter is the world is still a very negative place, The Walt Disney Company like many in Corporate America today has become the victim of Wall Street Greed and excess. Walt Disney believed that a quality product would make a brand successful and was willing to take many financial risks because he believed his product was the reason for his enterprise and the financial rewards were secondary. Today, Corporations prioritize money over product. at the end of the day all they care about is pleasing Wall Street and to Wall Street, Product is inconsequential as long as it produces money thus you have things like the current state of WDW on a micro-level and on a macro-level the current economic mess we are currently embroiled in. Optimism can be a good thing but you can't be blind to the reality and reality often isn't pretty. If you have seen WALL-E, That is where we are likely headed unless something changes fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom