"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

WED99

I feel really bad for you, you are in for a seriously rude awakening some day. Personally, I acknowledge that life is hard, enjoy the good times, prepare my self for the inevitable bad times and have had a pretty happy life so far.
I feel bad for you mate. You stress yourself out by sayin life is hard and don't even bother seeing things from a better perspective. You say everything worked out good, but did it? Your spending your time trying to crush a 15 year olds dream online. I'll appreciate your perspective on life if you appreciate mine, sound fair?

RSoxNo1

How many here have even been to DLR? How many have been to UNI (and compared it fairly to Disney, not looking for some MAGIC they believe exists at WDW)? How many have been (or will ever go) to TDR (or any international parks)?

WDW has to be the best for many because they either can't or won't -- because of finances or fear -- visit anywhere else to really compare.

WDW hasn't built a WOW/Raising the Bar attraction in an exisiting park since ToT ... that was 18 years ago. A lifetime for a child.

What makes anyone think that's changed? Or will change?
I know you deliberately put in the "existing park" caveat in there, but Kilimanjaro Safaris is only 4 years newer than Tower of Terror. Expedition Everest had the potential to achieve this Raising the Bar, but there were corners cut beyond just the broken yeti.

WED99

Yay, another teenager! I'm 16! I can drive though...

I also have dreams of being an Imagineer or working for Universal creative. I just am having trouble to find out what to major in. Since I live in Florida, I want to stay in state and preferably be near Orlando...

Ahhh, college stresses me out.
Lucky as bro! We can't drive till 18 here in Aus! It's cool to meet another future imagineer! Who knows, maybe we'll do Imaginations together one day? :p I plan on majoring in Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie Mellon, then taking the 2 year entertainment technology course they have. The course has a direct partnership with Imagineering, you should check it out! Good luck with the dream :D

BryceM

I feel bad for you mate. You stress yourself out by satin life is hard and don't even bother seeing things from a better perspective. You say everything worked out good, but did it? Your spending your time trying to crush a 15 year olds dream online. I'll appreciate your perspective on life if you appreciate mine, sound fair?
He is giving you good advice though. You can't just show up at the gates of Magic Kingdom, announce that you are going to be an Imagineer and have a Mickey Mouse parade dance around you screaming that you're hired.

You have to work for it. You should consider what you want to major in, do good for the rest of high school, get a good scholarship and graduate. Then you should start searching. Though, it still confuses me too.

EDIT: I see you already know what your major will be and college! That's cool! I'm still trying to find out for myself.

WED99

The simple reality is that you significantly reduce your chances by obsessing over Disney. Yes, you could be hired right out of school, but the chances of moving up the corporate ladder are even smaller. There is a good chance that at some point you will be let go, not because of poor performance but because that is just how the industry works. Now, if you're truly phenomenal and accomplished in your field it is possible you could go work for yourself or others and stay out of themed entertainment until Disney calls again. The more likely scenario is your going to want to continue building your career and portfolio, which means working for Universal, museums, and all of the others in the industry who are not Disney.

I know you think you're taking an optimistic, "go get 'em" attitude, but you are really hurting your dream. You will not succeed in any creative environment only looking to once source of inspiration. Part of what made that first generation of Imagineers to success is that they were curious and knowledgable about so many subjects. I am not saying this to be hurtful or knock you dream, I am being sincere as I take no pleasure in knocking people down. If you want to be an Imagineer you're going to have to open up your horizon. Take the time to go to Universal and see what they are doing and how they are doing it well. Take time to go to SeaWorld and see what they are doing and how they are doing it well. Take time to go to local museums and attractions that are incorporating themed entertainment and see what they are doing and how they are doing it well on their incredibly small budgets.
I do have back up plans like Movie World here in Australia or starting my own design buisness

WED99

He is giving you good advice though. You can't just show up at the gates of Magic Kingdom, announce that you are going to be an Imagineer and have a Mickey Mouse parade dance around you screaming that you're hired.

You have to work for it. You should consider what you want to major in, do good for the rest of high school, get a good scholarship and graduate. Then you should start searching. Though, it still confuses me too.
Yes but I never said that I wouldn't have to work hard. I studied 6 hours for my most recent math exam and scored a 97%. I failed math last year before I heard about imagineering. I have a complete plan set out. I know there's work involved, but hard work is still easy if you think of it in a simple way!

BryceM

Yes but I never said that I wouldn't have to work hard. I studied 6 hours for my most recent math exam and scored a 97%. I failed math last year before I heard about imagineering. I have a complete plan set out. I know there's work involved, but hard work is still easy if you think of it in a simple way!
Oh that's good. Math isn't my strong point, even though I'm in Physics.

One of the major things I have going for me is being in the Cambridge AICE Program. It's hard, but I know it will pay off in the end.

WED99

Oh the irony... Are you aware of a company called Arrow Dynamics? You might want to lookup their history with Disney and rethink where you think all those great innovations actually came from... It wasn't until really post-MK that Disney did the majority of their actual ride work in-house. WDI focused on show production prior to that.

A recommended read would be "Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers"
Actually when Disneyland first opened the imagineers would tell Arrow what they wanted. The mechanical aspect was Arrow but the idea itself was all Disney.

WED99

Oh that's good. Math isn't my strong point, even though I'm in Physics.

One of the major things I have going for me is being in the Cambridge AICE Program. It's hard, but I know it will pay off in the end.
What's that? If you don't mind explaining.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The locker area is integrated into the line itself but it has traffic coming from people going on the ride and people coming from the gift shop. It is a total disaster. The simple solution is to have the locker area outside of the castle, or at the very least, outside of the line.

I know it's in the line area but my point was you must go in and then back out of the locker area plus the people exiting the ride all in same area. The lockers are to the right and so you must double back to the hallway to the ride. This adds to the mixed flows in the area.

I love that it's in the castle I just think the human flows need to be reevaluated. The actual entrance to the gift shop is a conjestion area too because the displays start so close to the door

WED99

No I'm implying your a bit of a stroker actually, even one whose nads have barely dropped.
Ok then? Maybe we could keep my genetalia out of the conversation...
I'm not here to hate on anyone mate. They are giving me advice and I appreciate most of it, but no hate whatsoever for anyone!

WED99

Seriously... Read the book. There is lots of reading out there for you.
Design For Fun By Bob Gurr.
It's sitting right next to me.
Talks all about Disney and Arrows connection with an in depth look at the Flying Saucers. They asked arrow to do it, they struggled so he went and helped.

BigThunderMatt

I know it's in the line area but my point was you must go in and then back out of the locker area plus the people exiting the ride all in same area. The lockers are to the right and so you must double back to the hallway to the ride. This adds to the mixed flows in the area.

I love that it's in the castle I just think the human flows need to be reevaluated. The actual entrance to the gift shop is a conjestion area too because the displays start so close to the door
I will say this for Disney: they have yet to design an attraction that is high thrill that DOESN'T have some form of on-ride storage for most loose articles, Tower of Terror being a notable exception.

Universal's main weak point is that on nearly every major ride, especially at Islands of Adventure, loose articles are either not permitted at all or risk getting drenched. Forbidden Journey has those little drawers in the seat but those can't hold more than a wallet or a cell phone. I don't think they comprehended the hordes of Brazilian tourists and their massive luggage bags they take with them everywhere they go.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Universal's main weak point is that on nearly every major ride, especially at Islands of Adventure, loose articles are either not permitted at all or risk getting drenched. Forbidden Journey has those little drawers in the seat but those can't hold more than a wallet or a cell phone. I don't think they comprehended the hordes of Brazilian tourists and their massive luggage bags they take with them everywhere they go.

I like the locker system (as long as its free) - it takes so much of the unknown out and you don't have to worry about anything getting thrown around, or 'will it fit', etc. Instead of skirting the problem, it just addresses it head on and solves it. I like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom