"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

RSoxNo1

You can also see the track on Goffini. The point is, it's still his personal opinion, not a hard fast truth. I find Wizarding World just as magical as anything at Disney. Universal may not have been as good in the past, but they are definitly stepping up thier game.
My biggest criticism of TWWoHP is how congested it feels with the worst areas being the stores and the Forbidden Journey Locker area. These things need to be addressed in the California version and the USO expansion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
but the fact for instance that you can see the track of dueling dragons, immediately takes you out of the magic, you know you are in a theme park

Funny.. I realize I'm in a theme park when I see the legions of people... waves of ECVs... people with name tags... and jacked up prices everywhere I go. Oh, and the gift shops.

Classics like the peoplemover.. skyway.. monorail.. etc never escaped those things.. and in some cases, celebrated them.

You are trying to create a standard that has no practical history of usage or compliance. Some things are meant to be escapist.. some are not. Disney didn't create the matterhorn because he thought the park lacked the Alps and needed them to be complete.. he added it because he thought it would be FUN. Theme be damned.. he was gonna put a mountain there. Not everything is meant to be so literal or suspension of everything. Just because some use it, not all are required to.

The thing that made Disney great was he knew what he thought needed to be done to make something enjoyable. He didn't constrain himself to just DUPLICATE what was already done. I wish 'fans' would understand past examples do not make the rules of the universe.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My biggest criticism of TWWoHP is how congested it feels with the worst areas being the stores and the Forbidden Journey Locker area. These things need to be addressed in the California version and the USO expansion.

I can't argue with this, especially the locker area, the traffic flow through that area is horrible.

WED99

Universal has been outperforming Disney on attractions for years now.
I strongly disagree with that. Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are very good rides but Disney attractions in recent years have topped them easily. Indiana Jones Adventure in my opinion is a lot more fun than spiderman! On my most recent trip I had the chance to ride the two newest and biggest rides, Transformers and Radiator Springs Racers. I can promise you right now I left Transformers saying "It was good, but not spectacular." I then walked off of RSR saying "That was amazing and exceeded my expectations!"

No matter how much people praise Universal, Disney will always be number one. While Uni is working on the biggest new e-ticket ride the Imagineers are working hard to create brand new entertainment. The Imagineers are Pioneers in their field, something Uni lacks very much.

flynnibus

Premium Member

If you want mall shopping experience.. shop at the mega stores in the park :) I'm glad the environment continues into the shops...

The locker area suffers from being a dead-end but I didn't find it too off-putting. Just more of an example of how their locker system suffers when volume goes up. There needs to be a better way of handling the touch-screen away from the lockers themselves to improve that.

Edit: I don't remember if its a true dead-end, but does require a U turn to get to the ride which doesn't help traffic.

GLaDOS

No matter how much people praise Universal, Disney will always be number one. While Uni is working on the biggest new e-ticket ride the Imagineers are working hard to create brand new entertainment. The Imagineers are Pioneers in their field, something Uni lacks very much.

Yup, look at that pioneering omnimover WDW just opened! Way more innovative than that Harry Potter or Transformers ride system.

menamechris

Do Imagineers stop being "Pioneers in their field" the moment they leave Disney?

Exactly. Since many went to Universal after Disney canned them.

But then again - people often say cast members are nicer and more magical at WDW. Even though a great deal of them also work at Universal, as well. The power of the marketing machine...

WED99

Do Imagineers stop being "Pioneers in their field" the moment they leave Disney?
Yes, because it isn't the individual imagineers themselves who pioneer new technologies, it's all of them as a group. There has never been one amazing Disney project made by one person. Disney is so in demand that they are constantly pushing their imagineers to create new things years before they are possible! This is something Universal lacks. The KUKA arm has been around since 1973, Universal just put wheels on it. Not to say it wasn't a smart idea, it had not been used in a theme park before! It was the same case with Transformers and Spiderman. It was just a newer version of Disney's EMV vehicle. The simulator part would not even exist if Star Tours hadn't been created years ago!

Uni are good and getting better, but I'm sorry they will never pass Disney. Even if their parks started pulling more money, Disney will always been known as the king!

BigThunderMatt

True! It definitely makes that forward moving trackless elevator and the linear induction launch coaster look old and outdated!

LIM coasters existed long before RnRC. And there's a reason Orlando's ToT is the only one with a horizontal shaft. Get over yourself.

WED99

LIM coasters existed long before RnRC. And there's a reason Orlando's ToT is the only one with a horizontal shaft. Get over yourself.
Wow ok, easy tiger. I'm here to have a friendly debate, no hate for any of the guys I'm replying to. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me to get over myself. I love Uni and I love Disney! I was pretty sure RnRc was the first LIM launch coaster? But even if I'm wrong they wouldn't exist without the people mover. The ToT elevator was used as an example for LPS ride vehicles, I think they are pretty reliable! My guess would be CA didn't have the space for a horizontal shaft so they designed it without it. This system worked and was easier to build so all the international parks used this version. Might be wrong, just an assumption.

BigThunderMatt

I was pretty sure RnRc was the first LIM launch coaster? But even if I'm wrong they wouldn't exist without the people mover.

The following coasters existed before RnRC that used linear induction or linear synchronous systems:
Tower of Terror II - Dreamworld (Australia)
Superman: Escape from Krypton - Six Flags Magic Mountain
Flight of Fear - Kings Island and Kings Dominion
Batman and Robin: The Chiller - Six Flags Great Adventure
Linear Gale - Tokyo Dome City (Japan)
Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast - Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags St. Louis
Mad Cobra - Suzuka Circuit (Japan)
Volcano, The Blast Coaster - Kings Dominion
Joker's Jinx - Six Flags America
Poltergeist - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

RnRC was hardly an original design. It was an off-the-shelf design from Vekoma that has since been used for two additional coasters. All Disney did was enclose it and tack on a theme. And Linear motor technology was not invented by Disney. The concept can be traced back to the 1840s, if not earlier.

The ToT elevator was used as an example for LPS ride vehicles, I think they are pretty reliable! My guess would be CA didn't have the space for a horizontal shaft so they designed it without it.

No. The horizontal shaft proved incredibly problematic and was cut from all subsequent designs. Plus the arrangement of three shafts with 6 load areas increased hourly capacity.

TestTrack Dummy

I think UNI has been doing great but im MY personal OPINION i believe Disney is still #1. Now i agree that Disney has really been slacking but i honestly think they are waking up. New Fantasyland doesnt have any amazing E tickets but its beautiful and to me the enviroment is part of the attraction. While not in WDW Carsland is stellar, Test Track is getting its re-imagining, We have yet to see what Avatar will bring, and then there's whatever will come to Hollywood Studios (hopefully Lucasland). Disney has been in a slump but atleast they are coming back and in my opinion Disney still is better then UNI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom