"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

ImagineerDude

Why wouldn't Disney get worked started on a new Star Wars land (if it's even coming) to get worked completed by the release of the new movie to keep hype up before the movie and huge explosion with ticket sales and merchandise after the movie to keep cash flow going and open Pandora after Star Wars is "old new news" and then Cars will be an old movie and at the rate Disney's construction goes, if they announce it at D23 it will be old news when it opens 4 years later. Disney needs to hurry before they get too far behind in the game...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why wouldn't Disney get worked started on a new Star Wars land (if it's even coming) to get worked completed by the release of the new movie to keep hype up before the movie and huge explosion with ticket sales and merchandise after the movie to keep cash flow going and open Pandora after Star Wars is "old new news" and then Cars will be an old movie and at the rate Disney's construction goes, if they announce it at D23 it will be old news when it opens 4 years later. Disney needs to hurry before they get too far behind in the game...

Wow, that's the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen :) Why not rush? Because theme park lands and major attractions are build with the expectation of being anchors for DECADES. Such things don't need to rush to try to hit some 3 month movie window - if they do, their chances of lasting for decades is nil anyways.

Theme parks on the scale of Disney are MARATHONS - not sprints.

Turtle

Seven Dwarves Train is opening in 2014, and it started construction in 2011.. What makes you think that if we start construction now in 2012 (assuming they hurry like in your post :D ) we'd finish a whole land with innovative new rides by 2015 when we took 3 years to build a family coaster (i'm excited for it don't get me wrong)

ImagineerDude

Wow, that's the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen :) Why not rush? Because theme park lands and major attractions are build with the expectation of being anchors for DECADES. Such things don't need to rush to try to hit some 3 month movie window - if they do, their chances of lasting for decades is nil anyways.

Theme parks on the scale of Disney are MARATHONS - not sprints.
From a family of runners, I absolutely love your last comparison :D

ImagineerDude

Seven Dwarves Train is opening in 2014, and it started construction in 2011.. What makes you think that if we start construction now in 2012 (assuming they hurry like in your post :D ) we'd finish a whole land with innovative new rides by 2015 when we took 3 years to build a family coaster (i'm excited for it don't get me wrong)
Yeah I understand my idea was a bit far fetched, but I totally understand everyone's points and I guess I didn't realize how fast 3 years go, but there should be no reason why CarsLand couldn't be completed in this time ;)

CinematicFusion

Thought this was interesting, I remember reading this guys books as a kid...
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006

TheWrap spoke to Dale Pollock, the author of an unauthorized biography of George Lucas, who said he was given permission to read the "Episode VII," "Episode VIII" and "Episode IX" story treatments back in the 1980s.

"It was originally a 12-part saga," Pollock told TheWrap. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"

As TheWrap notes, despite interviewing Lucas over 80 times, Pollock and the director no longer have a relationship, and Lucas wasn't pleased with the book. (Hence why it's unauthorized.)

How things have developed over the 29 years since Pollack read those treatments remains to be seen, but in a statement to E!, a Lucasfilm representative said the storyline for the new "Star Wars" trilogy would be new.

"It's an original story," the source said.

Jedeye80

They announce that carlsand is coming along with the monsters inc coaster, the Indy ride is replacing the stunt show and a new Star Wars area is being built. Pandora is still coming to DAK but with 3 attractions and plans are underway for a major revamp of Epcot.
Then our alarm clock goes off we wake and find out that spectromagic is returning next year and a million dreams are crushed again.

CinematicFusion

Thought this was interesting, I remember reading this guys books as a kid...
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006

TheWrap spoke to Dale Pollock, the author of an unauthorized biography of George Lucas, who said he was given permission to read the "Episode VII," "Episode VIII" and "Episode IX" story treatments back in the 1980s.

"It was originally a 12-part saga," Pollock told TheWrap. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"

As TheWrap notes, despite interviewing Lucas over 80 times, Pollock and the director no longer have a relationship, and Lucas wasn't pleased with the book. (Hence why it's unauthorized.)

How things have developed over the 29 years since Pollack read those treatments remains to be seen, but in a statement to E!, a Lucasfilm representative said the storyline for the new "Star Wars" trilogy would be new.

"It's an original story," the source said.

Sorry posted this in wrong thread

CinematicFusion

Well, that little kiddie coaster in Fantasyland is supposed to open in 2014, so you'll have that!
So you are on the side believing once the mine train is completed, we won't see any new development completed until after 2016?
If they broke ground on something next year there would be a chance.
However, they announced fantasyland expansion in sept.09 and final phase won't be collected until 04.

In reality...we might not see anything new completed in the parks until 2017-19... They need to start building something in 2013.

They will already have two Star Wars movies completed by then. I imagine both of those films combined with marketing included will cost 600 million dollars to make...maybe more. Movies aren't easy to make.

If Disney wanted to create new rides quickly...they could. All of the ideas they have at the ready now, no reason not to.

jdmdisney99

Before I say anything, I know this is supposed to be "News and Rumors", but this is my concept :) ;
After Disney adds things and does everything to "fix" and spruce up stuff to amazing quality their current parks, I have an idea for a fifth park. Disney's Adventure Empire is sort of an ancient park with lands; The Mesopotamian City-State, Athens, Rome, The Queen's Kingdom, and Egypt.

WDW1974

So you are on the side believing once the mine train is completed, we won't see any new development completed until after 2016?
If they broke ground on something next year there would be a chance.
However, they announced fantasyland expansion in sept.09 and final phase won't be collected until 04.

As of 11/1/12, yes. That is my firm belief based on current knowledge and past experience.

In reality...we might not see anything new completed in the parks until 2017-19... They need to start building something in 2013.

Agreed on all counts.

They will already have two Star Wars movies completed by then. I imagine both of those films combined with marketing included will cost 600 million dollars to make...maybe more. Movies aren't easy to make.

Do not assume that Disney will have completed and released two films by then. It may well be the plan, the hope, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

If Disney wanted to create new rides quickly...they could. All of the ideas they have at the ready now, no reason not to.

The same has been true for the last decade (decades actually). Having ideas ... good ideas ... doesn't mean a thing if they aren't put into production.

SirLink

As of 11/1/12, yes. That is my firm belief based on current knowledge and past experience.

Agreed on all counts.

Do not assume that Disney will have completed and released two films by then. It may well be the plan, the hope, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

The same has been true for the last decade (decades actually). Having ideas ... good ideas ... doesn't mean a thing if they aren't put into production.

So wait a sec - this is too funny - they know they need something! How long does it take for them to look in their archives of lost plans and go we'll take this, this and this - and make a collage and present it for approval. A weekend and lots of tea and biscuits? I get them not wanting to spend but I would of thought they would of least had an idea.

RSoxNo1

I do agree with this. But I don't think any of this wil be announced(at a push Carsland or maybe new details on this supposed avatar land). With Star Wars remember, only a few officials knew of this deal so immagineering had no time to do anything. If a star wars land or Lucas land will open i would expect this to be announced at D23 expo 2015. As for December 7th I'm just holding my breath to see what new designs of benches they've got:(
People knew it was going on. I just think that people didn't know the timetable.

If they built a new land at DHS. How many e-tickets would they need? I have been thinking about this for some time. If you look across the pond at what UNI is doing with their construction rate and type of rides they are building all seem to be e-ticket type attractions. Obviously this method is working in their favor right now. My main concern is with the changing times and a now mentality that the current and future generations have. Do the so called dark c-ticket attractions still have the same pull as they once did? It seems people now want ACTION NOW!...this boat isn't going fast enough, I want my face melted off by that giant dragon! Look at VoTLM at DCA and now in MK, the only thing I hear is nice animatronics but the ride "meh" let's go back to radiator springs. Will these new expansions with a well themed cute c-tickets still hold up with what other parks are doing? Or are we at a turning point where people want to be blown away non stop pace GO GO GO.....

tomman710

With or without this deal I find it hard to believe WDI hasn't kicked the tires, perhaps even gone much farther in the development of SW attractions ... therefore I don't think there necessarily needs to be this long wait after the announcement for SW attraction development.

StageFrenzy

With or without this deal I find it hard to believe WDI hasn't kicked the tires, perhaps even gone much farther in the development of SW attractions ... therefore I don't think there necessarily needs to be this long wait after the announcement for SW attraction development.
Unless they don't want to spend any money on said attractions, just make a new parade* and hold after hour star wars parties for all the bois and gals.

*By new parade I mean a derivative from the star wars parade that runs on said weekends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom