"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

FrankLapidus

perhaps I am reading the wrong things, but several animation blogs had pointed to a hand-drawn version of mort.Is this no longer in play? I am not that good at this rumor mill.
Ron Clements and john musket? Started with 2010, said to be slated for 2014?

You are right that Ron Clements and John Musker were working on an adaptation of Mort, a novel that is part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series of fantasy novels. The film was abandoned because WDAS couldn't purchase the rights to the book without also buying the film rights to other books in the series (I saw a rumour that they could only use Mort if they agreed to buy the rights to at least two other Discworld novels). The two directors are working on a different project now, their animation tests apparently involved some kind of Tiki-like character so it could be one set in Polynesia.

lazyboy97o

I know this has kind of passed, but Cinderella Castle is approximately 189' tall. That would give any structure in the Magic Kingdom about 10' before hitting the FAA lighting requirements.

We all know none of us are going to stop going to Disney, and we can enjoy both properties.
I may not stop going, but I have no problem going to Universal Orlando Resort, and even SeaWorld Orlando (across their whole chain they are also pushing forward), more often than I go to Walt Disney World. And when I do make it to Walt Disney World, it is for less and less time.

C.FERNIE

a bus driver told me the grass is always greener on the other side! lol whats next.... more mickey heads on a stick... get on with next gen before its yesterdays tech!

awoogala

I guess "disc world" could be something based on Tron?
Terry Pratchett, one of the best loved fantasy writers in the world, and his books, based on a fictional world called the disc world. There were rumors that his book Mort, was to be made into a hand-drawn animated movie, in 2014. I think that could, if done right, be an incredible win for disney, and could lead to the possibility of their own fantasy world to rival Potter. Something like 40+ books in that series. But disney often disappoints and ruins stories, so I am not holding my breath. Party for going off-track, back to your normally scheduled conversation! :oops:

awoogala

You are right that Ron Clements and John Musker were working on an adaptation of Mort, a novel that is part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series of fantasy novels. The film was abandoned because WDAS couldn't purchase the rights to the book without also buying the film rights to other books in the series (I saw a rumour that they could only use Mort if they agreed to buy the rights to at least two other Discworld novels). The two directors are working on a different project now, their animation tests apparently involved some kind of Tiki-like character so it could be one set in Polynesia.
sad. I would love them to do every one of them! :) or, at least, the ones with granny weatherwax.. Seriously, disney is just going to screw up every time they get a chance to do well-written fantasy!

djkidkaz

Original Poster
I find it interesting that Disney is tying up a huge chunk of its loose end projects by December 6th:

Test Track
New Fantasyland ( minus the mine train and Princess hall )
Splitsville
and I would imagine the tangled bathrooms and Legend of Jack Sparrow at DHS

That definitely sets them up to highlight some new projects Dec 7th, that would be starting early next year. We have been hearing from insiders that FotLK is scheduled to start being moved first thing next year which gets the ball rolling on Avatar. Now if they could just surprise us with an official announcement of Carsland I think we'd be in a really good place!

Princess Hall - 2013
Mine Train - 2014
Carsland - 2016

twebber55

I find it interesting that Disney is tying up a huge chunk of its loose end projects by December 6th:

Test Track
Splitsville

That definitely sets them up to highlight some new projects Dec 7th, that would be starting early next year. We have been hearing from insiders that FotLK is scheduled to start being moved first thing next year which gets the ball rolling on Avatar. Now if they could just surprise us with an official announcement of Carsland I think we'd be in a really good place!

Princess Hall - 2013
Mine Train - 2014
Carsland - 2016

that would be a pretty good line up for the next 4 years
im already going to WDW in 14 and those other two would force me to take trips the following years

SirLink

Test Track
Splitsville

Princess Hall - 2013
Mine Train - 2014
Carsland - 2016

There is no reason for them to announce Carsland before D23 officially.

The most I'm expecting from unannounced projects is a new MK parade with concept art and maybe a small 30 second sample from it. Also the elephant in the room concept art for James Cameron's World of Pandora.

SirLink

well there is that little bit about people expecting NEW NEWS at D23, not old news. Dress to impress.. not disappoint with a secret that is over 10 months old.

But seen as it seems Carsland will most likely be the main aspect of a DHS expansion, then it would make sense to announce it in one fell swoop, which would have more impact. I don't think they are ready to announce it before D23.

Also remember Fantasyland expansion was known in the fan community for a long time before it was officially announced.

Captain Neo

Carsland would be a pretty lame D23 announcement unless its mostly different from the CA version.

"Have we got an out of this world announcement for you! So you know that Carsland we have been hyping up and revealing details for for the past two D23 events? Well guess what SURPRISE! It's coming to Walt Disney World! hooray!"

SirLink

Carsland would be a pretty lame D23 announcement unless its mostly different from the CA version.

"Have we got an out of this world announcement for you! So you know that Carsland we have been hyping up and revealing details for for the past two D23 events? Well guess what SURPRISE! It's coming to Walt Disney World! hooray!"

More like: "We have this huge DCA like expansion for DHS - and guess what Carsland will be apart of the 'new' DHS!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom