"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

RSoxNo1

If they built a new land at DHS. How many e-tickets would they need? I have been thinking about this for some time. If you look across the pond at what UNI is doing with their construction rate and type of rides they are building all seem to be e-ticket type attractions. Obviously this method is working in their favor right now. My main concern is with the changing times and a now mentality that the current and future generations have. Do the so called dark c-ticket attractions still have the same pull as they once did? It seems people now want ACTION NOW!...this boat isn't going fast enough, I want my face melted off by that giant dragon! Look at VoTLM at DCA and now in MK, the only thing I hear is nice animatronics but the ride "meh" let's go back to radiator springs. Will these new expansions with a well themed cute c-tickets still hold up with what other parks are doing? Or are we at a turning point where people want to be blown away non stop pace GO GO GO.....
Part of the problem is that Universal is cranking out major attractions in half the time and half the cost (conservative estimate). It's allowing them to play catchup very quickly and turn the tide on Disney.

td1129

Wow, that's the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen :) Why not rush? Because theme park lands and major attractions are build with the expectation of being anchors for DECADES. Such things don't need to rush to try to hit some 3 month movie window - if they do, their chances of lasting for decades is nil anyways.

Theme parks on the scale of Disney are MARATHONS - not sprints.

Exactly why universal's lineup is so weak.

td1129

Part of the problem is that Universal is cranking out major attractions in half the time and half the cost (conservative estimate). It's allowing them to play catchup very quickly and turn the tide on Disney.

And less than half the quality.

twebber55

I don't think you've ridden Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Or Spider-Man. Or Men in Black. Do I need to go on? Universal has quality attractions. No, it's not Disney and I don't think it ever will be. But give them a chance.
its not disney because they dont want to be disney..they are all about action

nytimez

its not disney because they dont want to be disney..they are all about action

I think that used to be true. Since IoA opened, and definitely since Potter, they've been increasingly about story as well as action. And Disney, to a certain extent, has been less about story. What's the story of Test Track? I still don't know. We're dummies? And what's the story of Mission: Space? We're not even going to pretend to send you to space -- we're going to pretend to pretend to send you to space.

I don't now if Universal wants to "be" Disney, but they've definitely taken a few of the best pages from the Disney playbook.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seriously bro. You're on a site called wdwmagic.com. Why do you come here if you can't tolerate kind words about Disney or harsh truth about Universal. Time for some self-searching.

If you had something worth standing on.. sure. But you don't. Your tact, information, and basis all scream

failwhale.gif

So 'seriously bro..' I couldn't read that without thinking of you wearing this..
i-V4rc45L-M.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seriously bro. You're on a site called wdwmagic.com. Why do you come here if you can't tolerate kind words about Disney or harsh truth about Universal. Time for some self-searching.

I have highlighted the key word in that sentance, you are not speaking truth, you are speaking opinion and opinion that not alot of people would agree with.

RSoxNo1

And less than half the quality.
We ran a poll on our site where people could pick the top 100 attractions in Orlando. There was a huge Disney bias (and an even greater bias towards the Magic Kingdom), but despite all that the Universal Attractions fared fairly well. Thematically I don't think Universal has been consistently at the same level as Disney. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and other pockets of the parks certainly are up to that thematic standard, but I don't feel it's as consistent. However when isolating attractions by themselves, Universal has been outperforming Disney on attractions for years now.

Pumbaa1222

I have highlighted the key word in that sentance, you are not speaking truth, you are speaking opinion and opinion that not alot of people would agree with.

To be fair, td1129 has valid points, however shallow they may have been in presentation. Not everyone goes to theme parks for the action "rides" what has always made Disney special is that you feel immersed in the atmosphere and swept up in the magic. Yes Universal has amazing rides, and some are starting to get to Disney's level, but the fact for instance that you can see the track of dueling dragons, immediately takes you out of the magic, you know you are in a theme park. What everyone loves about Carsland and FLE/Storybook Circus is that you feel immersed. The "rides" are nothing spectacular, but the time and money that goes into the environment are what makes it Magical

SirLink

To be fair, td1129 has valid points, however shallow they may have been in presentation. Not everyone goes to theme parks for the action "rides" what has always made Disney special is that you feel immersed in the atmosphere and swept up in the magic. Yes Universal has amazing rides, and some are starting to get to Disney's level, but the fact for instance that you can see the track of dueling dragons, immediately takes you out of the magic, you know you are in a theme park. What everyone loves about Carsland and FLE/Storybook Circus is that you feel immersed. The "rides" are nothing spectacular, but the time and money that goes into the environment are what makes it Magical

Universal already surpassed them with Spiderman, Mummy, Simpsons, Harry Potter, Transformers, and by all accounts Hogwarts Express and Gringotts will surpass Disney efforts again.

And no Dueling Dragons tells it story in its que, there is nothing wrong with bare track coasters - I see plenty of bare track coasters in Disney like Great Goofini your in a plane so why can I see the track!!!:eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:, apart from maybe being petrified from going on because you have a fear of heights is at most you can complain about it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You can also see the track on Goffini. The point is, it's still his personal opinion, not a hard fast truth. I find Wizarding World just as magical as anything at Disney. Universal may not have been as good in the past, but they are definitly stepping up thier game.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes Universal has amazing rides, and some are starting to get to Disney's level, but the fact for instance that you can see the track of dueling dragons, immediately takes you out of the magic, you know you are in a theme park. What everyone loves about Carsland and FLE/Storybook Circus is that you feel immersed. The "rides" are nothing spectacular, but the time and money that goes into the environment are what makes it Magical

Sorry, your argument doesn't stand up...

DinoRama, Paradise Pier, Great Goofini, Gadget's Go-Coaster....ALL Disney examples of rollercoasters with little to no theming at all and CLEARLY visible tracks

Even DisneySea, the crown jewel of theme parks has an outdoor rollercoaster in the Little Mermaid area with clear tracks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom