What would you HONESTLY pay for park admission?

Wondering what you would HONESTLY pay for a one day ADULT tix to WDW

• $25-$30

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • $30-$35

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • $35-$40

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • $40-$45

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • $45-$50

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • OVER $50

Votes: 62 38.3%

• Total voters

bryon1

Original Poster
Wondering what you would HONESTLY pay to get into a WDW would park for a one day ticket? Has Disney oversold its market?

MagicalMonorail

Mine is different for all the parks:

Magic Kingdom- $80

Epcot- $35

MGM- $30

AK- $25

This wasn't according to my favorite park. I was just looking at major attractions and shows that are worth the most money.

scottnj1966

I am glad I dont have to worry about it

I am one of the lucky ones to get a florida seasonal pass.
But I think the cost of a single ticket is too much since you cannot park hop. If they would let you park hop, well amybe it would be worth it.
And if it included parking. How they heck they ever thought parking on there own property was not included makes no sense to me.

wolf29

Wherever you go, be it Sea World, Six Flags, Bronx Zoo, sporting events, you must pay to park. WDW is no different, no better, no worse. When it comes right down to it, you would pay whatever it costs, and do. You are not paying for a day of entertainment, you are paying for an experience. You get memories that last a lifetime, parades, fireworks, etc. Very few places offer the attention to small details that WDW does. Anyone been to an NBA game or a Broadway show lately? What did that cost when you were all done? How about a 1 1/2 hour movie with popcorn & a soda. When you realize what you get for your money, is WDW such a bad deal?

SirNim

Originally posted by barnum42
Whoa! Aparently some aspects of Disney management have been known to read these boards. Don't go giving them ideas! :lol:
Indeed! :lol:

$30 - $40 seems reasonable. ;)

bryon1

Original Poster
Im trying to get some data for a paper at school, on the effects inflation and profits companies are still making raising its "purchase price" (what the public pays) vs. "actuall price" (what its costs).

The price goes up but, does the value?
Im looking at Coke, and McDonnalds as well to see if companies have over sold their market share.

And since were at $50 a tix. (which I think we never thought would happen) will the price ever go any higher?

Thanks,
bryon1

phlydude

I think the more appropriate question for this is "What do you feel park admission should be?" Not what would you pay? Unless you have an AP and visit the parks more than 8 times a year, you are still paying around $50 per day to get in. So if you are going, you are HONESTLY paying $50.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Value

Whoa! Aparently some aspects of Disney management have been known to read these boards. Don't go giving them ideas! :lol:

Yes, that's true, but it's nothing that they don't know already.

I always find it interesting when these conversations come up as to the relativity of cost. Does it cost a lot for a family of 4 or 4+ to fly to FLA, pay for a hotel, food and associated costs, you bet!

But in perspective, I consider Disney to still be a bargain.

As was said before, a Broadway show (x2?) is $120-200 a ticket, plus train/cab, plus dinner possibly...all for 2-5 hours.

Pro sports is $25-60 a ticket, plus $20 parking, plus $5 hot dogs and $10 beers for about 3 hours.

A beach house for a week is $2,500 -$4,000 + and there is no food or maid service included there. And prices of beach restaurants?....more than Disney, thats for sure.

Movies at $8-10 ticket plus about the same at least for food...

All other parks are within $10 of Disney, and we all agree that they do not compare.......so.....

If you ask me would I like to pay less for something, sure,
Do I expect to get something for nothing?, NO

So, other than day trips or camping where we bring everything in, Disney is in my humble opinion more of a value than most any other vacation.

civileng68

Account Suspended
?

Oh they do, but it doesnt matter. It seems "certain" members of management don't care what we think. 40%, 40% 40% 40%.

gives up, turns around and walks home.

bryon1

Original Poster
"I think the more appropriate question for this is "What do you feel park admission should be?" Not what would you pay?

I understand where your going, the idea of the value to the publics idea of what is of value and what is over rated in price.

Like the offering of a lower price of Coke on another thread. Why does one sell Coke for .50 more other than extra proffit? If you can take the price down .50 is it truly to remove the labor involved of stocking extra quarters? Or the ease of just holding onto bills. Or to increase the sales and get a bigger check for moving product?

I also look at Churros...the price of the Churro has continued to rise (I remember $1.75 just 3 yrs ago) and now its $2.50 but, the Churro hasnt gotten any larger.

Yeah, wage is a factor but, when one oversells its marketshare is it trully making a profit? Why not increase your numbers, and appeal to the entire demand. Not just selling your product because you can.

I hear that the Disney requirement is a 300% increase of product price to generate extra proffit.

imamouse

I don't object so much to the ticket prices for adults, but I very much mind the categorization of a 10-yr old as 'adult' for ticket pricing. I understand that the 10-20-age range is a large segment of Disney's market, but at least offer a junior rate and reduce the child ticket prices, as the really young kids are not riding the E-ticket rides.

Also, the price of food inside the parks, while competitive with sporting events, movie theaters, etc, is getting out of hand. This is one area that I'd like to see WDW step up and price food items more realistically. It's nearly impossible to feed a family of four on less than $200 a day at WDW, compared to <$50/day at home! Add teen-agers to that and the price goes up appreciably.

Pricing such as these reduces the frequency of visits for working class families. If this market segment is not WDWs target market, then the impact is reduced. I would think that WDW would want guests to come often, to generate greater ticket revenues, and therefore would be willing to concess a certain % of food revenues. However, apparently I am mistaken, and the greater revenue generator is the food. :slurp:

bryon1

Original Poster
Yep, I remember being able to get what "I" wanted to eat for lunch and not have to split a plate with my brother when I was younger.

Having the buffeteria style and selecting per item made a huge difference on our eating habbits. (Thats what the big difference is in D/L and WDW) Quick service windows vs. Buffeteria. Quality and Quantity. Very few Buffeteria areas and more quick serivce windows at WDW.

Im in distgust of what happens at airports...

McD's will charge $6 for a $3 Big Mac Meal. They do it cause they can, and have a limited audience.

cherrynegra

I personally would pay $35 to $45 for park admission. I think that's more than reasonable considering my wallet is going to get emptied buying stuff in the parks. Like the $2.50 churros.

wolf29

Bryon1, Though I am not for a minute defending them, a lot of the higher prices that you see at airport restaurants are because of fees incurred from the airport themselves. You will find that newspapers are taxed, which is a fee added on by the airport. The same usually applies to car rentals, etc. I don't know how much that adds to the cost of food, and I am sure the restaurants add more because they have a "captive" audience. The airports, however, are also to blame.

CSOM

Byron, not sure what grade level this paper is at, but it's a lot more than just value vs. profit.

Inflation and cost of doing business play a large part in it as well. If you ever get to an economics course there is the supply vs. demand theory, where if the company sets the price higher and the demand doesn't fall, then the price is right. Value doesn't play into the pricing equation really....

(lesson over) Honestly, $55 is about right I think....

iluvstitch

I think the one-day ticket is very reasonable and I would honestly pay more than that to go to WDW for one day. People pay almost $50 to go to the Six Flags in New Jersey, which IMHO is really junky and terrible. The Six Flags in Maryland is very small compared to WDW and is almost $40 per ticket. WDW is a great value compared to 6 Flags.

I think the food is reasonably priced, too. I mean if I go to Subway here, a meal is going to cost about $6. At Red Robin I can get a basket of chicken strips and fries for $8, not including a drink. The prices at WDW are the same as if I was buying lunch at the mall- and the food is much better quality at WDW, so I'm not complaining one bit.

bryon1

Original Poster
Originally posted by CSOM
Byron, not sure what grade level this paper is at, but it's a lot more than just value vs. profit.

Inflation and cost of doing business play a large part in it as well. If you ever get to an economics course there is the supply vs. demand theory, where if the company sets the price higher and the demand doesn't fall, then the price is right. Value doesn't play into the pricing equation really....

(lesson over) Honestly, $55 is about right I think....

I totaly understand abput supply vs. demand. But there comes a time in the price when you start loosing customers because the price of product and proffit is too high.

Would one rather have a park of 30K guests a day watching very closely their spending habbits, or have 65K of guests a day spending BIG on meals and gifts and being able to upgrade a room or upsale an event like surfing lessons, bringing more money to the park?

Yes the money would be about the same but, eventually the more guests increases the proffit share and thus increases the share value of stock of the company. (thats what we all want)

Its said that 1 person who has great a "value" will tell another person about the experiance. That same person if they had a bad experiance ends up telling 7. Thus resulting in those 7 people not comming to the park and might even tell others about someoneles experiance.

Isnt that what this web site kinda is? People letting others know how to maximize their stay, what worked and what didnt, what to avoid. (do I dare say the whole refillable mug converstation on this site)

Not to stand on the soap box, all Im trying to find out is if $50 bucks is worth the value that one is spending?

Now that we are over $50 where will it stop? If we are at $50 whats to say $60 or said earlier $80? As long as Im getting a return on what Im spending...(not another clone of a ride or cheepness of attraction)

Number_6

Originally posted by imamouse
I don't object so much to the ticket prices for adults, but I very much mind the categorization of a 10-yr old as 'adult' for ticket pricing. I understand that the 10-20-age range is a large segment of Disney's market, but at least offer a junior rate and reduce the child ticket prices, as the really young kids are not riding the E-ticket rides.

But I can understand the pricing of "Adult" as being 10+. Let's take my son, for example, since he is about to turn 5. He is under the category of "Child" at the moment due to his age. But, due to his height, 45", he has the option to go on almost every ride at every park. The only two I can think of off the top of my head that he can't ride would be RnRC and Primeival Whirl. Other than that, he can ride any of them. So now, he is three inches away from the height requirement for those two and has 5 years to make it. I think when he is 10, he will definitely be tall enough to have the option of riding every ride in the park. Heck, he rode Mission: Space and Space Mountain twice last time we were down there. Most kids, not all, but most by the time they reach 10 should be tall enough so I can see why they would do it that way. Also, they get so many visitors they wouldn't want to have to measure every kid that comes to the entrance of the park and hold up all the lines just to make sure the kid had the right admission ticket.

As far as overall pricing goes, there are two amusement/theme parks near my home in Massachusetts. Here is the pricing information according to their websites:

Canobie Lake Park:

Regular - $25
Junior(Under 48") - $17

Six Flags NE:

Regular - $39.99
Junior(36-53") - 25.99
Children (Under 36") - Free

Now, CLP has some fun stuff, but the problem is if you go one day during the summer, you probably won't want to go back for at least a month or so. Six Flags NE, you might want to go back again sooner, but from what I understand a day trip there is enough for most people to get it out of their system. MK, Epcot, MGM and AK on the other hand, you can visit them more than once in a vacation and still have a blast at each. So, I really have no problems with the pricing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom