What would you HONESTLY pay for park admission?

Wondering what you would HONESTLY pay for a one day ADULT tix to WDW

• $25-$30

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • $30-$35

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • $35-$40

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • $40-$45

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • $45-$50

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • OVER $50

Votes: 62 38.3%

• Total voters

peter11435

Nemo14 said:
Probably off topic, but I just wanted to add my $.02 here. When we were there in February, my family and my brothers family had only one day to spend at WDW. We already had our tickets from previous visits, but they do not go very often, so they had to purchase tickets at the park. For a 1-day park hopper, the cost was over $100 each, which I thought was pretty steep, even though I'm a true Disney fan. :(
I agree that the 1 day park hopper is pretty steep. Although to be honest for years there was no such thing as a 1 day park hopper for the general public.

bgraham34

peter11435 said:
I agree that the 1 day park hopper is pretty steep. Although to be honest for years there was no such thing as a 1 day park hopper for the general public.

Its true and I still have some 1 day park hoppers with no expiration date from when i worked at the Disney Stores.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
TAC said:
Yes, that is steep, but think about it. Disney wants people to return, as often as possible. That's why they rolled out the MYW tickets. A 10 day parkhopper, no expiration, is about $384 (?) So, that is about $38/day for admission. Not bad when you think about it.

If I were you, I would have cut a deal with my brothers family somehow. Give them your old tickets (depending on how many days were left on it), and then bought 10 day MYW tickets.

My tactic exactly. Always get the maximum number of days. They'll get used up eventually and its always the best value.

Nemo14

TAC said:
Yes, that is steep, but think about it. Disney wants people to return, as often as possible. That's why they rolled out the MYW tickets. A 10 day parkhopper, no expiration, is about $384 (?) So, that is about $38/day for admission. Not bad when you think about it.

If I were you, I would have cut a deal with my brothers family somehow. Give them your old tickets (depending on how many days were left on it), and then bought 10 day MYW tickets.
Actually, we just happened to have some of our old tickets with us that my DH was going to have checked for remaining days, so we had them use those instead. Otherwise they probably would not have been able to go.

We have 10-day passes that we bought just before the price change last year!

NoNoNoNoNo

I said:
Rasism pure and simple.

i don't see disney being upset about the 2-3 week euro trips that are taken, or the MANY asians that visit or the brazil months...

they want to make money. Lots of poor white people can't afford to go too!

Shaman

I think ticket pricing is the most obvious clue that Disney is and will always be a business, and the theme-parks will always be just a product.

Sure, when Walt was around and DL was first built the starting admission prices were low, that was the point...they were introducing something new so they priced it low to capture the market...and now that the product and Disney brand has a loyal following, they can raise the price to almost anything (reasonable)...there are many factors that affect these decisions (most of which is economics and market research, but lots is also about consumer psychology), Disney just doesn't wake up one day and say, "lets raise prices"....it has nothing to do with race or class...it's not personal, it's business.

While I think $50.00 was a great price (and would really love THAT to be the price), if I were Disney and could make more money (not lose much) by raising admission...I would, most of us would. That's my opinion on the matter anyway.

PintoColvig

Master Yoda said:
Very frequently writers will modify statistical data to help prove a point and this was one of those times. Twisting facts around to suit a story seems to be pretty much common practice these days

I was ready to leave this alone had it not been for this attack on my character, which was uncalled for. You have accused me of modifying statistical data when all I did was take the amount given from the Jim Hill Media website, used an inflation calendar to find a relative cost for today, and then made a comparison. I told everyone up front that I had done so. Did I assume the amount from that other website was accurate? Yes, I did. He claimed to be quoting from an old souvenir from Walt himself. I had no reason to think the guy was lying and that the initial amount was wrong. That was something you made a big deal about yet the amount I reported and the amount you posted were only 21 cents off from one another. As to the 523% increase I came up with that you are only now bringing up, let me specifically show you how I came up with it to show you I wasn’t twisting things around. I started off with the $2.29 that was given on JHMedia, I plugged that into the inflation calendar from westegg.com (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/) which showed that in today’s dollars the $2.29 would actually be a relative cost of $15.56. Then, using info from Disneyland’s own website, I determined what a one day trip would cost at DL today. (BTW, I focused only on parking and admission, since it now includes rides.) Using the cost for a one day ticket for Disneyland purchased at the gate ($79) as well as the parking fee (assuming four people to one car, one fourth share of parking would be $2.50), I got a total of $81.50. Now, dividing $15.56 (the relative cost for DL in 1957 using 2005 dollars) into $81.50 (the actual cost of DL today) I found a 523% increase in ticket pricing or, put another way, that it costs 5.23 times more today to go to DL for a day than it did in 1957. If you don’t like the assumptions or even the inflation calendar, fine. You disagreed with the cost posted on JHMedia and I have acknowledged the discrepancy. But where did I intentionally modify the numbers? In what way did I twist facts around? If I really wanted to twist things around I would have added the entire $10 for parking rather than just a fourth of it and I would have come up with some ungodly number for souvenirs but I left that out altogether as well. Say what you will about me. I just posted this for the fun of it. As it turned out, this was more like a visit to the proctologist. Now, on to other things.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PintoColvig said:
I was ready to leave this alone had it not been for this attack on my character, which was uncalled for. You have accused me of modifying statistical data when all I did was take the amount given from the Jim Hill Media website, used an inflation calendar to find a relative cost for today, and then made a comparison. I told everyone up front that I had done so. Did I assume the amount from that other website was accurate? Yes, I did. He claimed to be quoting from an old souvenir from Walt himself. I had no reason to think the guy was lying and that the initial amount was wrong. That was something you made a big deal about yet the amount I reported and the amount you posted were only 21 cents off from one another. As to the 523% increase I came up with that you are only now bringing up, let me specifically show you how I came up with it to show you I wasn’t twisting things around. I started off with the $2.29 that was given on JHMedia, I plugged that into the inflation calendar from westegg.com (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/) which showed that in today’s dollars the $2.29 would actually be a relative cost of $15.56. Then, using info from Disneyland’s own website, I determined what a one day trip would cost at DL today. (BTW, I focused only on parking and admission, since it now includes rides.) Using the cost for a one day ticket for Disneyland purchased at the gate ($79) as well as the parking fee (assuming four people to one car, one fourth share of parking would be $2.50), I got a total of $81.50. Now, dividing $15.56 (the relative cost for DL in 1957 using 2005 dollars) into $81.50 (the actual cost of DL today) I found a 523% increase in ticket pricing or, put another way, that it costs 5.23 times more today to go to DL for a day than it did in 1957. If you don’t like the assumptions or even the inflation calendar, fine. You disagreed with the cost posted on JHMedia and I have acknowledged the discrepancy. But where did I intentionally modify the numbers? In what way did I twist facts around? If I really wanted to twist things around I would have added the entire $10 for parking rather than just a fourth of it and I would have come up with some ungodly number for souvenirs but I left that out altogether as well. Say what you will about me. I just posted this for the fun of it. As it turned out, this was more like a visit to the proctologist. Now, on to other things.
I never stated you twisted facts around. I stated writers twist facts around. You sited incorrect information and then treated those who disagreed with you like they were idiots. That is what I had a problem with.

peter11435

PintoColvig said:
A one day ticket to Disneyland purchased at the gate is only $59 not $79.

PintoColvig

Master Yoda said:
I never stated you twisted facts around. I stated writers twist facts around.

Uh, and were you not referring to me as being one of those writers when you posted this...
Master Yoda said:
Very frequently writers will modify statistical data to help prove a point and this was one of those times.
:veryconfu

PintoColvig

peter11435 said:
A one day ticket to Disneyland purchased at the gate is only $59 not $79.

:eek: Sorry. You are so very right. I accidentally used the one-day, park-hopper price rather than the one-day, one-park price. My mistake. Honest. I really wasn't trying to twist the facts there. :eek: (See, I can admit my mistakes when I honestly make them.:) )

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PintoColvig said:
Uh, and were you not referring to me as being one of those writers when you posted this...
:veryconfu
No. I was referring to writers in general. Many journalists, writers, etc twist the facts in an incident to make their stories more appealing or to support their own opinions. IMHO the author of the particular article you sited did just that. If I was referring to you I would have said "many writers like yourself"

PintoColvig

Master Yoda said:
No. I was referring to writers in general. Many journalists, writers, etc twist the facts in an incident to make their stories more appealing or to support their own opinions. IMHO the author of the particular article you sited did just that. If I was referring to you I would have said "many writers like yourself"

I stand corrected. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Perhaps you should look at the article he wrote. He listed that fact about the daily cost of a day in DL with a bunch of other facts. And, he was only quoting them as he saw them from that DL souvenir book. He wasn't making an issue out of that particular item. So, I don't think he was manipulating facts either. You can check out the article at http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1888

MickeyTigg

PintoColvig said:
Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn’t think I should start a new one.

Wade over at JHM listed some fun factoids from a 1957 publication on Disneyland. One fact said, "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking."

Using an Inflation Calculator, something that cost $2.29 in 1957 would only cost $15.56 in 2005. That’s barely a fourth of what it actually costs today! If you got a single-day, one park ticket, it would cost one adult $79 plus $2.50 for parking (assuming that the $10 fee is shared by four people) for a total of $81.50! :( Of course, the daily cost is reduced somewhat by purchasing a multi-day pass.

Now it’s beginning to make sense why—from a financial standpoint—my visits to Disney parks seem like a visit to the proctologist! :eek:

Your argument isn't even valid...because in 1957 you had to buy ticket books to go on rides/attractions...the current price includes that. You can only compare 2006 and 1957 if you factor in the price of the ticket books.

MickeyTigg

PintoColvig said:
What you say has some truth to it. On the other hand, we are talking about at least a 523% increase in admission costs (including rides) and parking. That’s pretty significant; especially when you consider that quite a few of the attractions from that time are still operating.

But that's over 49 years...what did a car or a gallon of gas cost in 1957....it's called inflation buddy.

MickeyTigg

PintoColvig said:
:brick: Jeez, read my post again but slowly this time. The factoid read exactly like this: "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking."

The rides were included in addition to park admission. Note also that the $2.29 amount also included souvenirs. The cost today that I gave ($81.50) didn't include an estimated cost of what souvenirs would be today.

That's just wrong....that's just not mathimatically possible.

scottnj1966

PintoColvig said:
I didn't claim they had a one day pass back then nor did I claim that the rides weren't ticketed. Heck, I remember the ride tickets at WDW back in 1976.
Picky picky picky!

I was not being picky. I had a valid point that you seemed to have missed.
you need to factor in the cost of each ride since tickets for the rides were not included in the entrance fee.
Jim Hills site has alot of inacurate information and I think you took his facts as truth.

It will be very hard to actually work out a price since E tickets cost more then A tickets. You could maybe do an average. But you will see it works out.

Thanks

PintoColvig

scottnj1966 said:
I was not being picky. I had a valid point that you seemed to have missed.
you need to factor in the cost of each ride since tickets for the rides were not included in the entrance fee.
Jim Hills site has alot of inacurate information and I think you took his facts as truth.

It will be very hard to actually work out a price since E tickets cost more then A tickets. You could maybe do an average. But you will see it works out.

Thanks

My original post noted that the $2.29 amount was all-inclusive. Again, it read exactly as this...
"The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking. "

So, that price, if it is quoted correctly from that book and it wasn't a typo in the book or on the website, would have included all types of tickets.

As for the Jim Hill site, perhaps you should read that article. The guy just stated a bunch a facts he found in an old DL souvenir guide. He didn't build his story around that particular fact. I simply read it over there and since I prefer doing my Disney talk over here, I just made a post about it.

I'm no huge Jim Hill fan. I read his site often because I enjoy his historical articles. Most of his errors come in regards to rumors.

PintoColvig

TAC said:
That's all well and fine. However the ticket prices are only one small part of many factors that has changed at/in DL in the last 49 years. The article does not give any data for the price of food, the cost of labor, the cost of energy, the cost of adding new attractions (developement, materials, EPA regulations, OSHA regulatiosn, etc), the costs of added levels of management at DL, etc.

It would be interesting to compare the yearly budget of DL in 1957 to that of the yearly budget for 2006, and see how things are different.

That is an excellent and reasonable point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom