What would you HONESTLY pay for park admission?

Wondering what you would HONESTLY pay for a one day ADULT tix to WDW

• $25-$30

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • $30-$35

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • $35-$40

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • $40-$45

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • $45-$50

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • OVER $50

Votes: 62 38.3%

• Total voters

Spoonfulofsugar

Before I share my post, I absolutely mean no disrespect....

I believe there should be a decrease in price for those over a certain age or for those people who for various reasons cannot ride certain rides (medically, etc.). My parents are in their late 50's and in good health. However, they do not ride hardly any of the e-rides. Dad has heart history and mom has back history. However, they are reqiured to pay the same as anyone else who gets "more bang for their buck." Don't get me wrong, my parents are quite cool for their age, but they tend to people watch and take it easy.

Is there something in place already for senior citizens (when they do get to that age)?

PintoColvig

Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn’t think I should start a new one.

Wade over at JHM listed some fun factoids from a 1957 publication on Disneyland. One fact said, "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking."

Using an Inflation Calculator, something that cost $2.29 in 1957 would only cost $15.56 in 2005. That’s barely a fourth of what it actually costs today! If you got a single-day, one park ticket, it would cost one adult $79 plus $2.50 for parking (assuming that the $10 fee is shared by four people) for a total of $81.50! :( Of course, the daily cost is reduced somewhat by purchasing a multi-day pass.

Now it’s beginning to make sense why—from a financial standpoint—my visits to Disney parks seem like a visit to the proctologist! :eek:

totodog

PintoColvig said:
Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn’t think I should start a new one.

Wade over at JHM listed some fun factoids from a 1957 publication on Disneyland. One fact said, "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking."

Using an Inflation Calculator, something that cost $2.29 in 1957 would only cost $15.56 in 2005.

They may be true if it were the same park as it was in 1957, but it isn't. Costs goes up because so much more has been added and it costs more to run than it did back then.

NoNoNoNoNo

There should be no fuss over the cost of food and whatnots at Disney. Go to Universal/Sea World. EVERYTHING is inflated about 30% over disney costs. Disney is the BARGIN in town. Drinks are over 3 bucks.. meals are 9 bucks. There is no comparison. Parking is even more at the other parks. As far as ticket costs go, I bought a 2 day park hopper for God knows how much (187 or something i think) and i didn't think twice about it last trip. That's over 90 bucks a day.. and i had a blast. The previous time i went we had 10 day passes that broke down to a little more than 30 bucks a day. But you do what you have to to go. BTW -- MVMCP and MNSSHP are about the best tickets you can buy at disney. if you are looking for value, don't miss these!

NoNoNoNoNo

and you had to pay for ride tix -- 2.29 just got you in the gate... remember E-TICKET came from somewhere-- people buying the tix to ride the attractions.

peter11435

NoNoNoNoNo said:
and you had to pay for ride tix -- 2.29 just got you in the gate... remember E-TICKET came from somewhere-- people buying the tix to ride the attractions.
Exactly. You can't simply adjust the 2.29 figure for inflation. You have to account for the fact that the 2.29 just got you in the park. Every attraction required a seperate admission. Add in all the money sepent on tickets to ride each individual ride and a day at Disneyland cost far more than 2.29.

PintoColvig

totodog said:
They may be true if it were the same park as it was in 1957, but it isn't. Costs goes up because so much more has been added and it costs more to run than it did back then.

What you say has some truth to it. On the other hand, we are talking about at least a 523% increase in admission costs (including rides) and parking. That’s pretty significant; especially when you consider that quite a few of the attractions from that time are still operating.

freediverdude

I voted $25-30, thinking that that is what I would pay IF I had to pay cash every time I went through the turnstyles. I probably wouldn't end up going as much as with an annual pass, but I still would go often and would pay that much for a one day ticket. I don't think it's worth $60+ for a one day ticket though. But I don't think one day sporting events or one evening concerts are worth those prices, either, and I don't purchase those tickets either.

PintoColvig

NoNoNoNoNo said:
peter11435 said:
Exactly. You can't simply adjust the 2.29 figure for inflation. You have to account for the fact that the 2.29 just got you in the park. Every attraction required a seperate admission. Add in all the money sepent on tickets to ride each individual ride and a day at Disneyland cost far more than 2.29.
:brick: Jeez, read my post again but slowly this time. The factoid read exactly like this: "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking."

The rides were included in addition to park admission. Note also that the $2.29 amount also included souvenirs. The cost today that I gave ($81.50) didn't include an estimated cost of what souvenirs would be today.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You may find this link interesting.

http://allearsnet.com/tix/tixpix70.htm

It contains the ticket price history for WDW since MK opened in 1971 up to 2006 as well as graphics of the tickets from differenct eras. Break out your inflation calculator again. Leaving other factors out - I'd say an average adult at MK would have spent $8.25 (3.50 to get in plus 4.75 for a 9 ticket book). How does that compare to a one day ticket in '06?

bhg469

There have been alot of rides added, but if i were to spend the day at MGM and no other park i would feel ripped off if i bought a 1 day pass.

PintoColvig

ASJHLJ said:
You may find this link interesting.

http://allearsnet.com/tix/tixpix70.htm

It contains the ticket price history for WDW since MK opened in 1971 up to 2006 as well as graphics of the tickets from differenct eras. Break out your inflation calculator again. Leaving other factors out - I'd say an average adult at MK would have spent $8.25 (3.50 to get in plus 4.75 for a 9 ticket book). How does that compare to a one day ticket in '06?

The info I intitially gave was from a Disney publication and was for Disneyland not WDW. I thought that was clear when I posted: "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29..." I know, I know, this is a WDW board but it still is the the Disney company.

PintoColvig

TAC said:
Exactly how many "rides, amusements, souvenirs" were used in the original "factoid?"

I do so love how people take these "inflation calculators" as 'god.' What people fail to understand is that it's relative, and there is alot of external factors that regulate prices today. Much more so than there were in 1957.

As a friend of mine says, "It's Disney, and they can charge what they want."

Come on, man. Don't be so argumentative. I didn't say that the inflation calculator was 'god' (I certainly haven't prayed to a calculator recently :hammer: ). Inflation calculators do provide a relative comparison between the value of a denomination in one time period to its value in a later period. No, they are not perfect but again, as you say, it is a relative comparison. I just posted this for a fun discussion. :brick:

NoNoNoNoNo

I remember my first trip to WDW, 22 years ago, i bought a soda can out of a machine for 50, and today a lunch i bought a soda can out of the machine for 50 cents -- so inflation is an inexact science.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PintoColvig said:
:brick: Jeez, read my post again but slowly this time. The factoid read exactly like this: "The average cost of a visit to Disneyland is $2.29, which includes admission to the Park, rides, amusements, souvenirs and parking."

The rides were included in addition to park admission. Note also that the $2.29 amount also included souvenirs. The cost today that I gave ($81.50) didn't include an estimated cost of what souvenirs would be today.
I did read your post and the number you have for admission is incorrect. A ticket book that contained 7 ride tickets and a general admission was $2.50. This did not include, food, parking or souvenirs. Again this also only included only 7 ride tickets. Additional tickets ranged from 25 to 85 cents. It is true however that ticket prices have increased faster than the national average of inflation but it is not as large as the number you suggested.

I still think that I get a good value for the money I spend at WDW especially when compared to other entertainment events.

PintoColvig

Okay, the $2.29 amount came from a book written by Walt himself entitled, "Disneyland: A Complete Guide To Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Mainstreet, U. S. A." Take it for what it's worth.

EDIT: I haven't seen this info. myself I'm just relaying what Wade wrote about over on JHM. Oh, and I agree with you Master Yoda, I feel you get what you pay for at Disney but because I get so much, it sometimes hurts financially!

lebeau

Sure, we'd all like to pay less for Disney. But honestly, park admission is probably still underpriced. For most people, it is a once-in-a-liftetime trip and price is not an issue. It's only really an issue for those of us who would like to visit regularly. But it's the one-timers and casual tourists who are WDW's bread and butter.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PintoColvig said:
Okay, the $2.29 amount came from a book written by Walt himself entitled, "Disneyland: A Complete Guide To Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Mainstreet, U. S. A." Take it for what it's worth.
The $2.50 number I stated came from the front of a ticket book my mother still has from the first year Disneyland opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom