What Would You Ban?

wendysue

But fast pass+ encourages you to be on your phone to check times, reservations, etc. it's one of the biggest mistakes Disney has made. You're limiting the family time of the big family vacation. Personally, I would ban flash photography, mindless cellphone use, and all the cheap/generic Chinese made crap that the gift shops try to peddle.

THIS!! YES!!

Hockey89

1) Strollers...
2) Personal scooters...
3) Babies and any kids under the age of 3 (including the parents that think an amusement park is a great place to bring an infant in the middle of July)...
4) Adults that do meet and greets and the proceed to carry on a conversation with the person in the pooh suit or princess dress, not because they are trying to create a moment for their kids as they have no kids with them - but simply because they apparently are a few bricks short of a load...
5) anyone that thinks a tablet or phone is a video camera (hint, I don't go to see a show so I can look at your tablet or phone being held up in front of me so you can get bad video that you'll probably never even watch)...
6) clueless dolts using a handicapped person to avoid lines...
7) all handicap parking (sorry but in my park you have no scooter so that means you're going to be walking and if you can't walk from your car to the transport tram why in the world are here in the first place.... Oh that's right because in most cases the handicapped person isn't even there its just their hang tag that someone decided to borrow so they could park closer).
8) anyone that photobombs
9) anyone that even thinks about jumping a line, holding a spot in the line for someone else (including parents that seem to be trying to give the Duggars a run for their money by having one parent stand in line before a dozen supposed offspring show up right as they approach the end of the line... Not to those people, some of us look at the length of the line to determine the approximate wait time and don't need someone bringing a platoon at the last minute.)
10) anyone that uses a flash or camera with a light up rear display that could pass as a lighthouse, Call me crazy but I'd like to see Peter Pan the way it was intended and those super bright displays showing me the wires and machines behind the magic... well they just spoil it.

Hmm... Now if I get rid of those people I think the park would be pretty much fine... but then I'm not sure there would be enough visitors to keep Disney going.
This is great.... Claps

thomas998

But fast pass+ encourages you to be on your phone to check times, reservations, etc. it's one of the biggest mistakes Disney has made. You're limiting the family time of the big family vacation. Personally, I would ban flash photography, mindless cellphone use, and all the cheap/generic Chinese made crap that the gift shops try to peddle.

You know the shops would be pretty much empty of everything if cheap Chinese crap were banned.... Which is kinda sad.... I remember being taken for the first time to Disney in the 70's and getting a really cool Corgi brand car... It was special in large part because it wasn't cheap crap it was high quality and I kept it for years sitting on a dresser... I can't remember the last time I saw something in a Disney park that wasn't Dollar Tree quality junk.... Funny that they prices never stopped going up on the stuff they sell yet the quality was pushed down to the bottom of the barrel.

ULPO46

I would ban work phones and Laptops. Come on this is vacation time. I know that work sometimes has to follow you around but everyone deserves a break from reality.

Tom P.

I am truly dismayed at the level of anger being displayed toward parents with strollers and/or young children in the parks. I can understand that there are certain behaviors by some people which are unacceptable -- such as using a stroller as a battering ram to get through the crowds. But simply judging someone a bad parent because they brought a toddler to Disney World or put their kids in a double stroller? C'mon, dial it down a few notches.

Every family is different. Every child is different. Some young kids will handle Disney World just fine, others won't. It's about knowing what is appropriate for you and your family and planning accordingly. Let the parents do the parenting and don't be making blanket statements about who should or should not be in the parks.

wdisneyw2000

The only thing I can think of is smoking, but I feel like for the most part the designated areas are pretty decently located and out of the way. Still, it would be nice to NEVER smell it :)

Also, I'll be another one to defend alcohol. Guess who likes a good beer and knows what her limit is? :) me! I don't drink much at home because of all the extra calories, but during vacation calories don't count! Also, I know plenty of people who act like fools without a drop of alcohol, so you're not going to eliminate those folks.

I would be one to defend smoking because if you can defend drinking. Hmmm many can smell a stupid drunk person just as much as smoke. If you can smell it your obviously too close then don't breathe walk around it. There are many complaints that many could make. lol

wdisneyw2000

Food and wine festival ? Sure phisically food and wine no. I don't think the drinking problem is as bad as people think. It's just invasive to people's conceptual reality of Walt Disney world in there head. Albeit this isn't the matrix.

They restrict smoking so they should restrict drinking. no difference someone will have a problem with both so ban them both then if you. if we have to deal with your drinking then deal with my smoking or don't breathe or walk around the smoking area

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They restrict smoking so they should restrict drinking. no difference someone will have a problem with both so ban them both then if you. if we have to deal with your drinking then deal with my smoking or don't breathe or walk around the smoking area
Unless you're traipsing around a local distillery, not sure which odors you're referring to. Because even then I've yet to find a poor smell in one, unless you're taking about the pucks in the restrooms. But that's another (more disturbing) conversation.

And at risk of drawing in a former/current member and their obsession with "Drunkytown," cigarettes are still emitting bad stuff, while booze doesn't. Unless you want to return to that restroom puck conversation....

Tom P.

Both drugs both kill which one kills more the idiot ho gets behind the wheel because he just has to have a drink. Ban smoking , then ban drinking as well
If we ban everything that can potentially kill people, there's going to be a mighty short list of things left that are legal.

Anyway, to bring this back around to the original topic of Walt Disney World, whether we like it or not, the simple fact is that cigarettes have a social stigma attached to them now that alcohol does not. If Disney allowed people to wander around the parks smoking anywhere they liked, there would be an immediate customer backlash. Non-smokers and smokers alike have gotten used to the expectation that smoking be limited to certain very specific places. Alcohol, however, is not seen that way by a large majority of the population. And any attempt to restrict alcohol at Disney -- beyond how it's already restricted in Magic Kingdom -- would likely bring a major customer backlash.

We can have a legitimate argument about whether there is a significant difference between cigarettes and alcohol from a health standpoint. But from a standpoint of the practical business realities of running Walt Disney World, there's simply no question that cigarettes and alcohol are viewed dramatically differently by the majority of their visitors and, as such, Disney is going to handle them differently as well.

WDW Guru

Another thing is that beer and wine is a big part of the culture of some of the countries that they are in. For example, removing beer from Germany would be the most ridiculous thing to do since you rarely hear of any major problems with drunk people and it is such a big part of the country. On the other hand, second hand smoke that comes from the smokers is very bad for the people around them and for the environment as well which shows the major difference between the two.

Matt_Black

Another thing is that beer and wine is a big part of the culture of some of the countries that they are in. For example, removing beer from Germany would be the most ridiculous thing to do since you rarely hear of any major problems with drunk people and it is such a big part of the country. On the other hand, second hand smoke that comes from the smokers is very bad for the people around them and for the environment as well which shows the major difference between the two.

To be fair, though, smoking is really big in some countries too. France and Japan come to mind.

But yes, it IS somewhat ridiculous to advocate removing alcohol from World Showcase, since oftentimes it is tied culturally. The wineries of Italy and France, the various libations from the U.K., beer in Germany, sake from Japan, tequila from Mexico, etc.

Fossilizedtreesap

But my points are first, you can teach your kids what you want, but other people should be able to go to Disney and not have people drink in front of OUR kids. My second point is why do you have to have the wine? A glass of ice tea taste much better? If people have to drink to enjoy Disney save a lot of money buy a six pack or bottle of wine and stay home. I am not against drinking I just think there is a time and place and Disney is not it.

I haven't gotten through the whole thread, but had to stop here. Really?

What do y'all do in life because I'm assuming everytime you go out you encounter something that doesn't fit into your worldview or the "high standards" you've set for your family?

Someone sitting at a table drinking alcohol is not teaching your kids about it. For all they know it's juice.
It's your responsibility as a parent to educate your child (how you see fit) and help them navigate the world, not everybody else's to stop living theirs in order to shield them.

And coming from a family that was very conservative and didn't deal alcohol, talk to them now and educate them. And not just, "don't because it's bad".
I've seen far to many of my peers dive head first into addictions and horrible choices because they didn't have all the info. Shielding them from everything doesn't protect them in the long run, it just makes them naive.

Chernaboggles

Reading through all these comments, it appears that what people most want to ban is excess. Too much alcohol, too much noise (chanting), too many ECVs and so on.

Instead of banning a long list of specific items or behaviors, most of these problems could be solved by reducing the number of people in the parks at any one time. One chanting group, one or two drunk people, a few large strollers...no big deal and easy to get away from. It's only when these minor irritations appear in large numbers and can't be avoided that it starts to be a problem. Legal capacity and "quality experience" capacity are two different things. I wish Disney would see that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom