What should be the 3rd land at Walt Disney Studios Park?

What should be the 3rd expansion land at Walt Disney studios park?

• Pandora the world of Avatar

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • Zootopia

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Cars Land

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Disney should just build Galaxy’s Edge

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters

cjkeating

Avatar was exceptionally popular in France and I think confirmation was awaited for this to happen again for the second. With great results in other European markets (Germany especially!) I think this is great evidence for them to move forward with Pandora.

Excluding the FOP pre-shows which can be reshot bi-lingual or with additional subtitles the two attractions and Pandora overall is very much a land which communicates without language which makes it perfect for Paris.

Jordan dby

I'm not a huge avatar fan although it could make a fantastic world for theme park theming.

Plus if you plonk it next to arandelle you continue the WDS tradition of a complete mess and lack of cohesion 🤣

tanc

My dream would be if they made a land based on the golden age of hollywood or the golden age of Disney animation. Unfortunately, there's practically 0 chance of it happening.

J4546

If they made pandora with Navi river but using a Shanghai potc ride system as well as the flight ride that'd be chill..maybe between them have a nice walkthrough like JoW but with a big animatronic aspect like the dragon under paris castle....also have the water running/connected to the main lake like frozen land

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Hopefully not. A poor boat ride and an alright screen ride vs Rise? I’d rather have Rise.

Plus I can’t imagine Pandora on a cold and wet Parisian February afternoon.
See, I feel like the Boat Ride is actually better than anyone will tell you . . . but also way, way worse than the wait time would lead you to expect.

I would have fully preferred a larger-scale Na'vi River Journey - "Na'vi of the Caribbean", if you will - but for me the biggest issue with the ride as-built has more to do with the lack of other capacity in the park to reduce its wait times to something reasonable. Anybody waiting 45 minutes or more for it is bound to be disappointed. Pandora/Animal Kingdom just need more to do. As does WDS Paris.

In an ideal world we'd see Rise of the Resistance AND Pandora (with an additional new attraction) popping up around the lake.

cjkeating

Hopefully not. A poor boat ride and an alright screen ride vs Rise? I’d rather have Rise.

Plus I can’t imagine Pandora on a cold and wet Parisian February afternoon.
Another one attraction land with some meh rock work. Plus an unreliable attraction at that?

I love Rise. And I'd love an Original Trilogy Rise but I do think Pandora would fit better... Galaxy's Edge is grey and cold and would look rough in the Paris winter too I think. With Pandora they could really notch up the vibrancy of the land to compensate... snow on Pandora? It would be a cool look.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Another one attraction land with some meh rock work. Plus an unreliable attraction at that?

I love Rise. And I'd love an Original Trilogy Rise but I do think Pandora would fit better... Galaxy's Edge is grey and cold and would look rough in the Paris winter too I think. With Pandora they could really notch up the vibrancy of the land to compensate... snow on Pandora? It would be a cool look.
We’ll agree to differ 😊

BrianLo

I'd rather something unique, but I do think Pandora as a product is superior to half-Galaxy's Edge. Even if Rise is a stellar attraction and MF isn't.

But I am bothered either way if WDSP continues to gain nothing original and drags down DAK's originality with it. I would take a different section of Pandora if they would be so bold.

Avatar: WoW is doing really, really well in France. It's already the third highest performing movie since Avatar and The Intouchables (which wasn't anywhere of a phenomenon in other markets).

Haymarket

I'd rather something unique, but I do think Pandora as a product is superior to half-Galaxy's Edge. Even if Rise is a stellar attraction and MF isn't.

But I am bothered either way if WDSP continues to gain nothing original and drags down DAK's originality with it. I would take a different section of Pandora if they would be so bold.

Avatar: WoW is doing really, really well in France. It's already the third highest performing movie since Avatar and The Intouchables (which wasn't anywhere of a phenomenon in other markets).
I think that's how all the parks are going to be, apart from maybe Tokyo's, where OLC is clear about demanding that some of its rides be unique.

If a new land is developed and proves a hit, it's going to be copied wherever possible after typically 5 years of exclusivity (cf. Marvel with regard to the 5-year thing). It's simply economically sensible; there's no need for new R&D and other risk and expenses that way.

Frozen, Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Zootopia, even Cars. Why wouldn't they just copy-and-paste? There's no clear evidence that it significantly detracts from attendance.

We have Marvel at Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios, and Hong Kong DIsneyland

We have Frozen coming to Walt Disney Studios, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Tokyo DisneySea (the latter a subsection of the new port Fantasy Springs, with a unique ride)

We have Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

My bets for copy-and-paste jobs in the next 30 years:
  • Pandora at Walt Disney Studios and Shanghai DIsneyland (they're basically testing it already in Shanghai, the way they tested Frozen at Hong Kong Disneyland a year before announcing the new land).
  • Zootopia at Disney's Animal Kingdom (the company won't care about the animals-in-pants theming issues; Rohde no longer works there) if it proves at hit in Shanghai
  • Marvel in Shanghai, if they can refine the concept from what they learn at Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios, and Hong Kong Disneyland.
  • An entire Frozen land plugged-in wherever there's space either at the Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. Epcot has its ride, but there are other attractions they can just plug into a new Frozen land (some flat rides, the Hong Kong Frozen roller coaster, maybe a Frozen castle restaurant as in DisneySea, etc.).
  • And maybe another land for Hong Kong (there's space): Zootopia or Pandora are the main options, and will overlap with Shanghai but it won't matter; Galaxy's Edge is at Disneyland and Hollywood Studios).
Maybe eventually they'll add Galaxy's Edge to Walt Disney Studios, if they can "fix" its supposed issues. That's the only other location where it could be built, as Star Wars isn't popular in China and there's no space in the Tokyo parks (and Star Wars is only somewhat popular in Japan).

If you look at it through the lens of maximum cynicism, profit-centered strategic thinking, and not really caring about what fans say about the lack of unique attractions at particular parks, it's clear copy-and-paste jobs will keep coming in a big way.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I think that's how all the parks are going to be, apart from maybe Tokyo's, where OLC is clear about demanding that some of its rides be unique.

If a new land is developed and proves a hit, it's going to be copied wherever possible after typically 5 years of exclusivity. It's simply economically sensible; there's no need for new R&D that way.

Frozen, Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Zootopia, even Cars. Why wouldn't they just copy-and-paste? There's no clear evidence that it significantly detracts from attendance.

We have Marvel at Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios, and Hong Kong DIsneyland

We have Frozen coming to Walt Disney Studios, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Tokyo DisneySea (the latter a subsection of the new port Fantasy Springs, with a unique ride)

We have Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

My bets for copy-and-paste jobs in the next 30 years:
  • Pandora at Walt Disney Studios and Shanghai DIsneyland (they're basically testing it already in Shanghai, the way they tested Frozen at Hong Kong Disneyland a year or two before announcing the new land).
  • Zootopia at Disney's Animal Kingdom (the company won't care about the animals-in-pants theming issues; Rohde no longer works there) if it proves at hit in Shanghai
  • Marvel in Shanghai, if they can refine the concept from what they learn at Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios, and Hong Kong Disneyland.
  • An entire Frozen land plugged-in wherever there's space either at the Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. Epcot has its ride, but there are other attractions they can just plug-in a new Frozen land (some flat rides, the Hong Kong roller coaster, maybe a castle restaurant as in DisneySea, etc.).
Maybe eventually they'll plug-in Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney Studios, if they can "fix" its supposed issues.

If you look at it through the lens of maximum cynicism, profit-centered strategic thinking, and not really caring about what fans say about the lack of unique attractions at particular parks, it's clear copy-and-paste jobs will keep coming in a big way.

There's a difference between copy and pasting (something Universal tends to do) and Disney typical form of adapting things for each individual park. DLP is really a masterclass in taking all the familiar puzzle pieces and revisiting them from a modern lens. Versus the original HKDL that basically just recreated Disneyland without understanding its flaws or what didn't make sense for the environment.

None of the Marvel lands are copy, pasted. Nor are the Frozen's really (unfortunately WDSP is inferior to HKDL). The plan for AK Zootopia is not the attraction, nor land, from Shanghai. Yes, we do have Galaxy's Edge, but I can slightly forgive that for being a co-developed project.

I'd hope if Pandora were on the cards, it would be re-contextualized properly for Paris.

Haymarket

There's a difference between copy and pasting (something Universal tends to do) and Disney typical form of adapting things for each individual park. DLP is really a masterclass in taking all the familiar puzzle pieces and revisiting them from a modern lens. Versus the original HKDL that basically just recreated Disneyland without understanding its flaws or what didn't make sense for the environment.

None of the Marvel lands are copy, pasted. Nor are the Frozen's really (unfortunately WDSP is inferior to HKDL). The plan for AK Zootopia is not the attraction, nor land, from Shanghai. Yes, we do have Galaxy's Edge, but I can slightly forgive that for being a co-developed project.

I'd hope if Pandora were on the cards, it would be re-contextualized properly for Paris.

Disneyland Park and Hong Kong Disneyland are from completely different eras of Disney park development. They actually spent money on the former to adapt it to the locale (but they're not going to spend any more on it; it's like a perfect, moderately profitable jewel that just needs polishing now and then), and they were super cheap with the latter because they risked too much on the former.

By copy and paste, I don't mean "everything is going to look the same and every ride will be the same." Apologies if "copy and paste" is misleading. I mean a high degree of overlap in theming and types of rides apart from rethemes, eventually, when each park's respective land is built-out.
  • Disneyland:
    • Land: Avenger's Campus
      • Main attractions
        • Web Slingers: A Spiderman Adventure
          • Shooting simulator
        • Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout (Tower of Terror retheme)
  • Hong Kong Disneyland:
    • Land: Stark Expo (coming)
      • Main attractions
        • Iron Man Experience (3-D motion simulator)
        • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Nano Battle! (Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters retheme)
          • Omnimover Shooting simulator
        • coming: some sort of Quinjet attraction
  • Walt Disney Studios
    • Land: Marvel's Avengers Campus
      • Main Attractions
        • Avengers Assemble: Flight Force (Rock 'n' Roller Coaster retheme)
        • Spider-Man W.E.B. Encounter (the same ride as Disneyland's "Web Slingers: A Spiderman Adventure")
          • Shooting simulator
When these are built-out more, you're going to have more or less the same set of rides, apart from some rethemes. I guess you could say rethemes make all the difference, and make each land unique. If that's what you mean, then I concede that.

The dining establishments are similar if not the same (e.g., Pym Test Kitchen), as are generally the character encounters and shows.

They're all going to look more or less the same, as are the Frozen lands at Walt Disney Studios and Hong Kong DIsneyland: Frozen Ever After and the family coaster (Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleighs) (I'll bookmark this to follow-up when the rides at Walt Disney Studios's Frozen land are announced, and if any new Marvel attractions are announced, like the Quinjet thing in Hong Kong Disneyland.) If I'm mistaken, and you know something about what's coming to the Frozen land at Walt Disney Studios, please share that info.

If they build Pandora at Walt Disney Studios, it's definitely going to be a copy-paste job. Maybe the paths layout (e.g., a water feature is to your left instead of your right, and you take a right over there instead of a left to get to Na'vi River Journey) and rock-work will look slightly different and the dining options will be slightly different (differently named, slightly different menus, maybe an ice cream bar stand somewhere instead of a churro/popcorn/whatever stand, etc.). Maybe the names of the shops will be different and the attraction waiting lines will be slightly different, too. However, the rides they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on will be the same.

Disney isn't going stretch when it comes to Walt Disney Studios Park. Maybe Shanghai DIsneyland will get something a little different for its Pandora, should it come, on top of the two existing attractions, because Shanghai Disneyland's co-owners, SSG, are rather ambitious like OLC, and will shell-out for R&D (e.g., Zootopia being built there first in part because SSG is covering the majority of R&D for it, since they own 57% of the resort). Walt Disney Studios doesn't have an outside partner with deep pockets.

Also, Disney isn't going to stretch for Walt Disney Studios, but may stretch a bit for Shanghai Disneyland (e.g., covering 43% of the cost of a new ride for Shanghai's Pandora, if it happens), because of the relative importance of the two resorts to Disney's bottom-line and long-term objectives in their respective markets. (This is something I'm not going to get further into here; it just ends up in a bunch of sinophobic garbage from other posters who've never even been to China.)

Basically, after they build the Frozen land, Disney is going to do about the bare minimum so that Walt Disney Studios isn't an unprofitable/breakeven embarrassment. If it takes a spectacle, it's going to be something that's proven a successful spectacle elsewhere. I'm not counting the sprawling Tiana restaurant opposite the Frozen land as a unique attraction.

They're not going to build anything new for Walt Disney Studios, apart from a flat ride (that Tangled spinner ride). No wholly new land based on IP not used before, no wholly new ride. Oh - maybe a unique water show using those used Tokyo water show water-crafts they bought from OLC recently.

Last edited:

mrflo

Disney copying popular attractions and adapting them for the other parks around the world has always been the practice since the opening of WDW's Magic Kingdom. BTM, IASW, PotC, Star Tours, Peter Pan, IASW, etc. are all landmark attractions that guests love to experience in the parks around the globe. I don't see why this suddenly would be an issue for the new generation of attractions. DAK is still vastly unique even if Pandora shows up on other continents. The key will be how those lands or attractions are adapted for each park. So far Disney has - most of the time - done a great job copying the essence of the experiences while still making them unique and fitting to the local parks.

For Pandora the ride experience of Flight of Passage would most likely not differ as Star Tours does compared to the other parks. However, James Cameron has already completed the scripts for all five movies. So they already know any other locations that would be part of the Avatar saga in the future. This could provide the potential to adapt a different area of Pandora for the WDS & SDL. Weather conditions in Europe might also require some adjustments to the land as well. It will all boil down to how much Disney wants to invest in DLP.

Jordan dby

Good point about historically many rides being a copy and paste as well as the big 4 lands.

I have to admit it bothers me a little that there is so much copy and paste. Maybe I'm wrong but I always assumed the design makes a small part of the budget, there are probably very good designs thrown in the bin that could be used when the next park needs a land. Why can't we have 3 separate star wars lands in different parks? It is a bit depressing to know if I go to galaxy edge in Paris I'll just be comparing it to California that I've already seen.

Even as a kid (in fact even now as an adult) it bothers me that paris gave their castle to sleeping beauty when she already had a completely different one in california, Why not make this one for one of the other disney princesses?

They clearly know what they are doing but it does seem not inkeeping with the biggest imagination/creativity company in the world.

J4546

Every park has several massive exclusive areas and rides, and some are shared in multiple. Overall I think it's a good mix of exclusives and copies.

BrianLo

They're all going to look more or less the same, as are the Frozen lands at Walt Disney Studios and Hong Kong DIsneyland: Frozen Ever After and the Oaken's family coaster (I'll bookmark this to follow-up when the rides at Walt Disney Studios's Frozen land are announced, and if any new Marvel attractions are announced, like the Quinjet thing in Hong Kong Disneyland.) If I'm mistaken, and you know something about what's coming to the Frozen land at Walt Disney Studios, please share that info.

WDSP will not have the coaster from last I'm aware. Structurally I'm not sure if the layout will vary slightly or if it will just have that space blank or occupied by the canal.

For the record I was referring to the original opening day HKDL. The current version is a jewel.

I don't know about this. What's the plan for Zootopia at Animal Kingdom? I totally missed this news.

It would just be an overlay of Dinosaur. I don't think the ride system in SDL is identical, nor would the ride path be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom