What is the funniest thing you overheard another guest say in WDW?

Fantasmic

The common denominator is that the general public is thick/uneducated then, especially when the names of the rides are clearly printed on the park maps and signage!!

elisatonks

I've heard a few good ones over the years. Once, while walking to our car in the Epcot carpark I over heard a lady telling a CM that she couldn't find her car. He asked her if she could remember anything about which area she'd parked and she replied "Yes, I came over on the Monorail" :hammer:

Yep had this question myself in the Magic Kingdom lot a number of times, I had a lady looking puzzled just last week as she coundn't find her car in the lot, after riding my tram twice she finally admits she was lost and asked where the journey lot was. she was looking in the wrong parking lot, and to make it even worse was insisting the journey lot was in the Magic Kingdom lot not EPCOT's.

The best guest comment I have had however was while i was still a CM at DHS. My nametag says Manchester, England on it, and the guest turned round to me and asked "where in the united states is England?" duh.

RiversideBunny

"What time is it? I don't have my cell phone with me."

That's just a sign of the technological times.
That's actually a common situation now. They say that sales of watches are down overall. People don't see the need to carry one since the cell phone has the time on it.

:cool:

DisneyLeo18

This was at USO not WDW, but funny enough that I thought I would share.

It was my first trip to USO and apparently they have a strict no bag policy when getting on a ride, or even on line for a ride. So a young girl and little brother were about to get on line for Men in Black and the worker (not sure if they have special names there) told her she couldn't bring the bag on line. Now this family had a VERY heavy southern accent, and being from NY this just had me rolling:

Daughter: Momma take my bag

Mom: No I don't wanna

D:Momma I can't take it!

M:Well why not?

D: I just CAN'T momma!!

This went on for a few minutes as I walked by and my friend and I joke about it all the time when we can't do something. :lol:

Todd L

That still doesn't compare to the guests that bring the "park down I4" maps up to me and ask me how to get to the Mummy ride. Several different times.[/QUOTE]

I gotta say.......My Mother Is a bright, intelligent woman. Educated, Thoughtful and Intuative...................She still thinks that She can Catch a Boat on the River behind POFQ to Universal studios casue........."Its all Part of Disney...Isnt It???"

Ive told her a bunch of times she couldent But It all sounds the same to her and she gets confused By all The Information being shoved down her throat.

Disney Hollywood studios, Island of adventure, Universal Studios, Downtown, CityWalk , Magic kingdom...............its one big Blur to her.

Eyorefan

I gotta say.......My Mother Is a bright, intelligent woman. Educated, Thoughtful and Intuative...................She still thinks that She can Catch a Boat on the River behind POFQ to Universal studios casue........."Its all Part of Disney...Isnt It???"

Ive told her a bunch of times she couldent But It all sounds the same to her and she gets confused By all The Information being shoved down her throat.

Disney Hollywood studios, Island of adventure, Universal Studios, Downtown, CityWalk , Magic kingdom...............its one big Blur to her.

For people who will probably visit Disney World and other Orlando parks once or twice in their entire lives. I'm sure that learning the exact name of every ride is extremely low on their list of things to worry about. I'm not saying that it can't be funny to those of use who know better, I'm just saying that someone isn't ignorant or uneducated because they don't know all the ends and outs of theme parks. Show me a person who doesn't know the name of the leader of their own country or how their system of government works and then we can talk about being uneducated.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That's just a sign of the technological times.
That's actually a common situation now. They say that sales of watches are down overall. People don't see the need to carry one since the cell phone has the time on it.

:cool:

It's a 21st-century non-sequitur......

wdwwdeagle

The thing is, it's not a complicated name at all, it even has alliteration going for it. As I said in my initial post, I can understand Guests mis-speaking names like Mickey's Phillharmagic or Innoventions.

My own husband spoke what I still think was the funniest malapropism I've ever heard in WDW.
We were walking by Philharmagic and he says, "What is the PhilBARmagic."
I just looked at him and said, "Seriously? PhilBARmagic?"
He looks right back at me, clueless.
I said, "It's PhilHARmagic, as in philharmonic????"
He says, "Oh. On the sign the "h" looks like a "b." (and in his defense, the font they used really does make the h look like a b -- check it out next time you're there.) But, this is an intelligent person with all kinds of degrees and credentials, who attends symphony performances regularly, and rarely ever says or does anything spacey, so I have to torment him about it for the rest of his days.
Thus, we now refer to the show as "The Phil-bar."

PurpleDragon

My own husband spoke what I still think was the funniest malapropism I've ever heard in WDW.
He says, "Oh. On the sign the "h" looks like a "b." (and in his defense, the font they used really does make the h look like a b -- check it out next time you're there.) But, this is an intelligent person with all kinds of degrees and credentials, who attends symphony performances regularly, and rarely ever says or does anything spacey, so I have to torment him about it for the rest of his days.

There is a huge difference between misreading the sign due to the font and just downright not even trying to remember. What your husband did is not out of the ordinary, some of the fonts they use on the signs in Fantasyland could be misread.

But when I hear people say things like "Fast Track" (Test Track), "The Big Ball Ride"(SSE), "The Aquarium"(TLS/TSwN), "The Haunted House" (HM), "Starwars" (ST), "Disney World" (when referring to MK). Its gets frustrating because thats just simply a lack of effort on their part to even attempt to learn/read the frikkin ride/park names.

stitchsMom

not park specific, but our Mom refers to the DME as the Magical Bus.... no matter how many times we correct her! My sister and I gave up trying to correct her...

tjnpd116

Funny or Sad

In front of the castle, I heard a man say to his kids, lets go, all I've ever heard of is, Walt Disney World, and it's nothing but shops and this castle. What a waste of money.
I couldn't stand it, so I had them follow me around the whole park just to give them a tour. They were speachless at the end.

DisneyLeo18

Now that's a show I'd like to see. :slurp:

Ausdaddy

This happened yesterday. Guy gets off BTMRR. I'm walking right behind him when he gets a phone call. He says, "Yeah, we just got off Rolling Thunder..." :lol: My wife and I chuckled and did so again when his 12 year old daughter corrected him with the "Oh brother" voice.

LoriMistress

In front of the castle, I heard a man say to his kids, lets go, all I've ever heard of is, Walt Disney World, and it's nothing but shops and this castle. What a waste of money.
I couldn't stand it, so I had them follow me around the whole park just to give them a tour. They were speachless at the end.
That is pretty sad. What a great deed you did to play a CM and show them how MK is truly wonderful.

jennc2001

There is a huge difference between misreading the sign due to the font and just downright not even trying to remember. What your husband did is not out of the ordinary, some of the fonts they use on the signs in Fantasyland could be misread.

But when I hear people say things like "Fast Track" (Test Track), "The Big Ball Ride"(SSE), "The Aquarium"(TLS/TSwN), "The Haunted House" (HM), "Starwars" (ST), "Disney World" (when referring to MK). Its gets frustrating because thats just simply a lack of effort on their part to even attempt to learn/read the frikkin ride/park names.

What does it matter what people call a ride? Are you that much of a Disney snob that it frustrates you for people to call a ride whatever they want to call it? My son called BTMRR "the fast train" and SSE "the big golf ball" and EE "mount everest"....WHO CARES?? I do tell him the correct name, but I don't care what he calls it as long as he's having fun...that is what WDW is about right?

the-reason14

What does it matter what people call a ride? Are you that much of a Disney snob that it frustrates you for people to call a ride whatever they want to call it? My son called BTMRR "the fast train" and SSE "the big golf ball" and EE "mount everest"....WHO CARES?? I do tell him the correct name, but I don't care what he calls it as long as he's having fun...that is what WDW is about right?

I agree. Why should it bother you personally if someone else doesn't know disney like you and I do? I used to get frustrated when people would call rides and parks wrong names, but I was like 12, 13 years old. The only person I slightly get annoyed at is my mother when she names all these off the wall names for the rides. She's been so many times and still get stuff mixed up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom