What is Next for Disney for 2013-2019?

DManRightHere

To a certain extent you are correct but it's your opinion. Disneyland and Disney world have their pro's and con's. Both are owned by Disney and not some foreign company thank god. Guess what their not made in China their American pride even if everything they sell has the sticker made in China they still are an American Run company. Thats a rarity now a days.

This is something I wish Disney and more companies would take a stand on....They charge borderline insanity prices for merchandise, and it is all made in China. Think of how much merchandise Disney goes through a year. If they pledged to manufacture all or almost all of their merchandise in the states (of course there is exceptions for the countries in epcot, funny how a lot of things from the other countries are still made in china lol) they would be providing a fantastic boost to the national economy. Better economy, theoretically better business for Disney.

Turtle

Me becoming a part of Disney Imaganeering. I will be a rebel without a cause to make sure in all will that Disneyworld be a better place and that as it once was Hollywood studios be an teen-adult park. With newer faster cooler technologically advanced rides. Imagine a ride called the Grid based off of the movie Tron Legacy where guest board a "Light Speeder" and are zoomed into a fantastic roller coaster that blends the real world with the digital world. Guest embark through a specially themed area modeled after flynns arcade this would be near the new york area so that the rides qhue looks like a relized represntation of Flynns arcade. That will be the future of Disneys Hollywood.
so many grammatical errors XD

Turtle

No seriously since when are there E tickets at disney. I know that there are fast pass i have been to Disneyland and know that they have them there but no where in disney world florida are there any such thing as an E ticket. They haven't been used in a long time.
everest? space mountain? tower of terror? test track? do you know what an e-ticket means nowadays?

What overwhelming Pixar presence at DHS? There's one ride and a half-assed parade. If anything, we should be adding quality Pixar stuff to DHS and toning down (aka: removing completely) Pixar's presence in Epcot and Tomorrowland.

Sorry, when I was thinking of Pixar presence in WDW I automatically thought of DHS. I meant the entire property. And I would get rid of the parade. Why have one parade devoted to just Pixar characters? It just seems like a waste of a parade. I didn't have a problem with Stars in Motorcars.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
So with the start on 2013 approaching. What are people's thoughts as how WDW will look in 7 years at the start of 2019.

Will Epcot ever be touched? Is test track refurb the only major addition for the park during these next 7 years?

Will MK look the same 7 years from now. Fantasy land expansion being the last major creation for the park.

DHS and AK... Will they still be talking about what should be done instead of actually doing something? Will the only thing done at DHS is the closing of Fantasmic for a world of Color? Will AK get Avatar Land or will that go down with the Fire Mountain, Journey to the center of the earth concepts?

What are your thoughts?

Is Disney about to do a huge re-imagining of the parks or are we starting to see the slow decline of the once dominant WDW?
Can't stay on top forever, maybe it's universals time to shine, maybe Disney Land is about to make a huge resurgence.

cheezbat

^^^^
In regards to your questions, I think by 2019 we will see a redo/expansion in the MK in either Tomorrowland or Frontierland. That'll be it there though.
As for Epcot, more restaurants added, and MAYBE a redo of Universe of Energy OR Journey Into Imagination - but not both.
Hollywood Studios....some kind of Pixar expansion, even if it just turns out to be a clone of Radiator Springs Racers or Ratatoille.
Animal Kingdom...either Avatarland or a clone of Mystic Manor.

I really don't expect much, but I do expect at least one new thing, be it big or small at each park.

If not, things at WDW are worse than I thought.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
So are we still getting huge news in August about a mega revamp of one of the WDW parks...or is the big news going to be Seven dwarfs mine train is open?

Genie of the Lamp

MK- Possible Fronteirland/TSI Make over/re do, interactive games and M&G'S, new day parade
EPCOT- More restaurants and that "shockingly" inching forward project Mr.Spirit is alluding to, interactive games and M&G's
DHS- Probably the park we will see the most action take place at as I think we will eventually see Carsland in PP expansion and a Lucas/Star Wars Land to go with a Tangled Stage Show ad PATF Stage show and possible WOC made to fit the current setup for F!, interactive games and M&G's
AK- No Avatarland however I still do think that they might put Beastly Kingdom back on the table to at least consider.If not then Fire Mountain, interactive games and M&G's

Again in my opinion with the exception to the gueses for DHS, all of these are extremely blue sky.

PeterAlt

What's Next? 2009-2019?

I know their version of what is next was cancelled so let us speculate about the direction of DisneyWorld by looking at the past. Let us take the year 1998 to 2008 and compare them to 2009 to 2019.
From 1998 to the year 2008, Disney created these attractions for the Disney World parks.
1998: 1. Animal Kingdom opens up.
2. Fantasmic is open in DHS
1999: 1.Winnie the Pooh ride opens in MK (replaced Mr. Toads Wild Ride)
2. Test Track opens in Epcot
3. Rock'N Roller Coaster opens in DHS
2001: Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Opens
2003: 1. Mission Space opens in Epcot
2. Philimagic opens in MK
2005: 1. Soarin opens in Epcot
2006: 1. Expedition Everest opens in AK
2007: 1. Living Seas Refurb to Nemo Theme
2008: 1. Toy Story Mania opens in DHS

Where will Disney be going forward to 2019? From 2009 till present we have...
2009-2011? Not sure what great attractions opened at the parks?

2012: 1. Moved Dumbo ride to another location in park and added another spinner
2. Rethemed Barnstormer to Great Goofini
3. Opened Little Mermaid ride
4. Closed Snow White Scary Adventures
5. Test Track Refurb to Tron-like theme.
2013: Start construction of Avatar themed land?....Maybe???
2014: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opens
2015-2019?.... what will be next? Looks like Disney has a lot to catch up on if it wants to keep pace with what they did during the 1998-2008 time period.
I didn't account for openings of restaurants or shops, meet and greets, nor did I add any value hotels in the mix. Did I miss anything? Is Disney about to explode with building plans for exciting attractions from 2015-2019?

What does the in the know crowd know? We hear rumors but that is all they are, just rumors. We heard rumors during the 1998 to 2008 period but we also saw rides being created or high end concept shows or deluxe resort hotels (Animal Kingdom Lodge) that are attractions themselves.

We haven't even seen Disney break ground on new concepts yet. Anything they start in 2013 will open in 2015.

Can we please hear some feel good about the directions of the Disney World parks? What is Next for Disney World?
The difference is the company is under new management now. Just like the new Tiki Birds show, the new management is lame.

The growth of the late 80's that carried on through to the mid 2000's was fueled by Michael Eisner and his team, who was passionate about growing the parks and resorts. His successor, Bob Iger, talks a big talk but so far the best he's done is to organize big mergers and acquistions, beginning with Pixar, continuing with Marvel, and LucasFilm.

Eisner was criticized to have favored quantity of growth rather than quality of growth, but the truth is that the quality of growth was tied strongly to who Eisner's henchmen were at the time. Quality was strong most of the time, with the one exception of when Paul Pressler ran WDI.

Iger is expected to step down in 2015 or possibly earlier. When that happens, there will be change yet again.

Hedwig's Keeper

2018??? Seriously? WIll Cars even be relevant by then? Why so long? They built EPCOT in like 2 years (The whole park). So does TDO really think that if they move one truck load of dirt a year then they can call it construction progress and everyone should be happy and excited? By 2018 I would expect Universal to have a ton more options and possibly 1 or 2 more hotels (assuming they have the room).

A group of monkeys and penguins could build that stuff faster.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty long time frame. I wonder if Disney is going into super secret mode on new projects, an effect of the increased competition from IoA. Giving CMs misinformation would be a good tactic if that is the case. But if it is true, well maybe they can get the monkeys and penguins from Madagascar: "We'll be done in 6 to 9 months" "69 months?!" "Nooo!! SIX TO NINE months!"

Rodan75

I wish they would put the Epcot pavilions on rotation and tackle one every two years with significant ride and show enhancements, give future world a purpose again.

If there is a massive theme park redo, I wish we could get a twofer for FutureWorld and DHS. Lets ban new cruise ships for 5 years and put a billion into each park.

PeterAlt

I wish they would put the Epcot pavilions on rotation and tackle one every two years with significant ride and show enhancements, give future world a purpose again.

If there is a massive theme park redo, I wish we could get a twofer for FutureWorld and DHS. Lets ban new cruise ships for 5 years and put a billion into each park.
They did during the Eisner years.

juniorthomas

This is something I wish Disney and more companies would take a stand on....They charge borderline insanity prices for merchandise, and it is all made in China. Think of how much merchandise Disney goes through a year. If they pledged to manufacture all or almost all of their merchandise in the states (of course there is exceptions for the countries in epcot, funny how a lot of things from the other countries are still made in china lol) they would be providing a fantastic boost to the national economy. Better economy, theoretically better business for Disney.

Sure, the economy would be boosted. But the products sold would likely cost twice as much.

As terrible as it is, companies build overseas because it means they can save money on labor and ultimately do two things: decrease product pricing and add to their profit margins. Ideally, business will lean more on the former and less on the latter. Doesn't always work out that way though...

So the question is, would you rather have lower cost (and potentially lower quality) products, or higher cost (and slightly better quality) products?

bubbles1812

The difference is the company is under new management now. Just like the new Tiki Birds show, the new management is lame.

The growth of the late 80's that carried on through to the mid 2000's was fueled by Michael Eisner and his team, who was passionate about growing the parks and resorts. His successor, Bob Iger, talks a big talk but so far the best he's done is to organize big mergers and acquistions, beginning with Pixar, continuing with Marvel, and LucasFilm.

Eisner was criticized to have favored quantity of growth rather than quality of growth, but the truth is that the quality of growth was tied strongly to who Eisner's henchmen were at the time. Quality was strong most of the time, with the one exception of when Paul Pressler ran WDI.

Iger is expected to step down in 2015 or possibly earlier. When that happens, there will be change yet again.
What happened with Paul Pressler? Just curious

lazyboy97o

What happened with Paul Pressler? Just curious
First, Paul Pressler never ran Walt Disney Imagineering. He started off at The Disney Store where he became Eisner's golden boy for his massive growth of the chain (the very growth that would lead to oversaturation and the removal of more sophisticated merchandise). This success was rewarded with the job of President of Disneyland (the job now held by Michael Colglazier) and then a second promotion to chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts (the position held by Tom Staggs) with his ever-present number two Cynthia Harris then taking over at Disneyland. Pressler came in with an aggressive retail model focused on expansion of profit centers (high volume retail, ie. plush, and dining)and the elimination of lower performing areas. He finalized the implementation of the change in business model from looking at the Resorts as a whole entity, to look at the profitability of every square inch. It was the epitome of squeezing everything for the last penny, a strategy that ultimately cost two guests their lives due to the degraded maintenance situation at Disneyland. In the early 2000s Pressler and Harris left to "spend more time with their families" and were replaced by Jay Rasulo and Matt Ouimet. The pair, Pressler and Harris, moved on to the top positions at The Gap, where they also wreaked havoc and were agin fired.

bubbles1812

First, Paul Pressler never ran Walt Disney Imagineering. He started off at The Disney Store where he became Eisner's golden boy for his massive growth of the chain (the very growth that would lead to oversaturation and the removal of more sophisticated merchandise). This success was rewarded with the job of President of Disneyland (the job now held by Michael Colglazier) and then a second promotion to chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts (the position held by Tom Staggs) with his ever-present number two Cynthia Harris then taking over at Disneyland. Pressler came in with an aggressive retail model focused on expansion of profit centers (high volume retail, ie. plush, and dining)and the elimination of lower performing areas. He finalized the implementation of the change in business model from looking at the Resorts as a whole entity, to look at the profitability of every square inch. It was the epitome of squeezing everything for the last penny, a strategy that ultimately cost two guests their lives due to the degraded maintenance situation at Disneyland. In the early 2000s Pressler and Harris left to "spend more time with their families" and were replaced by Jay Rasulo and Matt Ouimet. The pair, Pressler and Harris, moved on to the top positions at The Gap, where they also wreaked havoc and were agin fired.
All I can is Yeck! Sigh. And they suck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom