What is most likely to be built between 7DMT and Avatar?

Cesar R M

Universal relies largely on intellectual property to sell their attractions, and they are getting repeat business when the attractions themselves are of a high quality. They have also done a much better job marketing The Wizarding World of Harry Potter than Disney has ever done for New Fantasyland, Star Tours or any other addition to the parks. What's funny, is that it seems like the add campaign for Potter was similar enough to the Universal Escape ad campaign (no distinction between parks) but with it being 10 years later, people were willing to do the necessary research for the in demand Intellectual Property.

speaking of Intellectual stuff..
Now that disney Owns MARVEL.. will this cause some pressure to remove the naming of some of Universal's park rides or attractions? like SPIDERMAN?

G00fyDad

Now that disney Owns MARVEL.. will this cause some pressure to remove the naming of some of Universal's park rides or attractions? like SPIDERMAN?

I don't think so. I seem to remember someone mentioning that the acquisition of Marvel had no bearing on Universal's allowance of the characters in their parks.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Universal has exclusive rights on the East coast till they choose to sell them to Disney for a price both parties agree upon. Until then, they can refurbish and update, but not build, new Marvel attractions.
And "Spider-Man" has a hyphen. ;)

lazyboy97o

Universal's deal with Marvel exists in perpetuity with a set licensing fee that increases only with inflation.

lazyboy97o

so the money now goes to Disney's coffers instead of Stan Lee's ?
Stan Lee never owned Marvel. The money still goes to Marvel that only affects the overall books of The Walt Disney Company. Based on when the deal was signed the licensing fee is likely relatively small and of little consequence to Disney's earnings.

Cesar R M

Stan Lee never owned Marvel. The money still goes to Marvel that only affects the overall books of The Walt Disney Company. Based on when the deal was signed the licensing fee is likely relatively small and of little consequence to Disney's earnings.
You didn't get my joke related to Stan Lee :(

Captain Chaos

Universal has exclusive rights on the East coast till they choose to sell them to Disney for a price both parties agree upon. Until then, they can refurbish and update, but not build, new Marvel attractions.
And "Spider-Man" has a hyphen. ;)
Has anyone even proven this is true? I see nothing in the contract which prevents Universal from building another Marvel attraction... And Disney cannot just say no... They need to have a reasonable excuse to object... Saying "no, we own Marvel and do not consent" will not suffice...

HTF

Magic Bands
Ride Refurbs
Disney Springs
3 More DVC Resorts/Wings
Starbucks
New Parade
New Nighttime Show
Yeti Still Broken

Thats it, no jokes, no sarcasm just straight to the point. Were not getting anything between Dwarves and Avatar, well at least not anything we want. Sorry but just prepare yourselves for this continuation of the Iger era...

TubaGeek

Has anyone even proven this is true? I see nothing in the contract which prevents Universal from building another Marvel attraction... And Disney cannot just say no... They need to have a reasonable excuse to object... Saying "no, we own Marvel and do not consent" will not suffice...

I can't quote any documents, but I have a source that I choose to believe. Also, I think that Uni would have built a little something just to let people know that they're not letting go of Marvel any time soon. Not dissimilar to how they promptly refurbished Spidey and got the characters new uniforms/costumes.

lazyboy97o

I can't quote any documents, but I have a source that I choose to believe. Also, I think that Uni would have built a little something just to let people know that they're not letting go of Marvel any time soon. Not dissimilar to how they promptly refurbished Spidey and got the characters new uniforms/costumes.
The contract is a matter of public record. Your source should be able to cite it.

Captain Chaos

Like lazyboy said, the contract is public record... Reading the contract, there is not one clause which states Universal can not build any more Marvel attractions... So, as per the contract, if Universal wanted to, they could... Disney can not refuse just for the sake of refusing... Now, land on the other hand may prevent Universal from building another Marvel attraction, but I don't believe Disney can stop them just to stop them...

Last edited:

the_claw

Do you have the proof to back this up please? I'd like to read it.

Obviously there is no proof of this because its something that can happen to everyone. Yes it does happen at Uni but it also must happen at WDW because people keep coming back. If you look at the number of families that come, some are 4/5 generations that come together. They arent doing it for the cost but to be with family. Im not a Uni-basher, i love Uni and Disney and have had annual passes for both. Uni did do a great job with WWoHP and FJ is a great ride but my personal opinion is that Imagineers could have done a better job if they had the money given to them. Obviously this is all subjective but thats my opinion.

I also agree that Uni has stepped up their game since 2007. They have also had significant investment from The Blackstone Group selling its share of the resort and a general budget increase to fight off Disney. But Disney was already so far ahead of Uni that whilst it looks like Uni is continually updating and bringing in new attractions it is still IMHO catching up with Disney in terms of day-long activities. I agree Disney has slacked off in recent years which is aggravating for us all, but FLE has cost them a fortune, Test Track as well as plenty of refurb projects that have been required due to the age of the park. Im pretty sure that they have spent the best part of 2 years renovating MSUSA store fronts because they were built 50 years ago. Same with old Fantasyland. I would love to see some major investment in new attractions but I think the money just isnt there for WDW right now.

TubaGeek

I would love to see some major investment in new attractions but I think the money just isnt there for WDW right now.

Oh, the money is there. There's no doubt, the money is there. It's just busy acting as pocket-liner for upper-management. They get hefty little bonuses for increasing capacity and decreasing their budget. That money saved works its way upward till Disney has a better number to show investors at the end of the fiscal year.
I promise: the money is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom