What If… Disney Parks Edition Game Thread

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
PROJECT 003

This is Universe NES19X92XX1

In this version of Reality, Disney has managed to secure the theme park rights to a highly coveted IP. One that rivals Universal have implemented into multiple parks over the last few years in our reality.

IMG_5866.jpeg

Nintendo.

This prompt takes place in present day.

Your task will be to create a Nintendo themed experience in either Disney’s Hollywood Studios OR Disney’s California Adventure. How you choose to do so is entirely up to you!! You could create a brand new land, overhaul an existing land, create single attractions to fit into existing themed areas, focus more on the entertainment aspect, or whatever else you decide!

The only limitations outside of a general sense of realism are that I want you to focus exclusively on the park of your choosing and how your offerings impact that specific park.

This project is due Wednesday May 31st at 11:59pm WDW time.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’m so so sorry that my reviews are behind again. I closed last night and opened this morning and then my aunt and uncle are in town as part of their vacation and tonight was the only night we could grab dinner. So my reviews will either come tonight or tomorrow.

Of course I could have just done super quick reviews to get them done but I would rather give each project the time and attention they deserve. Especially for this round!! Let me just say now,… you all KILLED IT!!!!

Cannot wait to see what you all do next!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
PROJECT 003

This is Universe NES19X92XX1

In this version of Reality, Disney has managed to secure the theme park rights to a highly coveted IP. One that rivals Universal have implemented into multiple parks over the last few years in our reality.

View attachment 718213

Nintendo.

This prompt takes place in present day.

Your task will be to create a Nintendo themed experience in either Disney’s Hollywood Studios OR Disney’s California Adventure. How you choose to do so is entirely up to you!! You could create a brand new land, overhaul an existing land, create single attractions to fit into existing themed areas, focus more on the entertainment aspect, or whatever else you decide!

The only limitations outside of a general sense of realism are that I want you to focus exclusively on the park of your choosing and how your offerings impact that specific park.

This project is due Wednesday May 31st at 11:59pm WDW time.
Oh, man. I really want in this game now. I'll do with you guys for What If Disney did Nintendo now. Oh, god, I want to do this part please? @Tegan pilots a chicken

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
1A723461-C93E-4131-BDE2-0D5FC299316E.png

REVIEWS (FINALLY)

_____

TEAM CASSIE - UNIVERSE OF ENERGY

Not gonna lie, this was actually one of my favorite pavilions as a kid. Something about the dry, matter of fact edutainment of the films, the soundtrack, and the dinosaurs just mixed together to create something that baby Tegan fell in love with. Let’s see how our friends at Team Cassie have updated and upgraded this opening day attraction.

First things first,… the music!!!! WOW!!! Cap, you outdid yourself again! This track is so grandiose and spectacular!! Honestly this feels like an unused EPCOT Center b-side or something. Like,… I’m obsessed!

DisMan’s introduction sets the stage beautifully. I would love to just walk around this version of Epcot. The pavilion map is lovely! Always nice to see how each aspect of an attraction relates to the others.

Harmony Plaza is a true highlight of the project to me. This would be visually stunning while also serving a purpose and having function with the interactive energy-making elements. That’s vintage Epcot and I love it!

Onto the ride itself, a suspended dark ride coaster was a bold choice! Disney does not have any suspended roller coasters at any of their parks so this would be a first, and at an appropriate park no less. The way you have the ride vehicles light up is very cool! Love that detail!

The aqua dome is another segment that sounds visually stunning! Viewing all the water features from overhead would be an incredible experience. I really appreciated the small detail of the wind chamber causing the vehicles to sway back and forth.

But the solar system section,… this feels like something right out of an Epcot dream I’ve had like a thousand times! And I mean that in the best way! …. I have Epcot dreams a lot actually. But this would easily be a highlight of the entire park! The heat effects for the sun are an awesome touch. And I truly love how much detail you put into the size, shape, scale, and speed of every element of this show scene. I would ride this over and over again!

The outdoor sections would be such a riot! And I really enjoy the kinetic energy these segments add to the pavilion and to the park as a whole. Great details there!

I’m obsessed with the grid and the futuristic city. These feel like updated takes on the old World of Motion finale and I’m absolutely here for it!

You all did a wonderful job describing your sections of the ride and providing outstanding narrations. It was incredibly easy to visualize what was going on, and your images definitely assisted with that.

The post-show/exit shop is a nice touch. Energy never had that so it’s awesome to see the pavilion get that here. The energy windows are a really fun touch. It’s small details like these that push projects over the top, both on the forums and in real life.

And finally the snack and drink kiosks are so cool!! The design feels very appropriate, and I really appreciate the nod to the building structure. You also put together a nice little assortment of offerings here. Great work.

Honestly I really loved this! Energy might be the most difficult opening day pavilion to successfully reimagine but you all did a fantastic job!!

Creativity: 4/5
Realism: 4/5
Teamwork: 5/5
Presentation: 4/5
X-factor: 5/5

22/25

_________

TEAM WANDA - COMMUNICORE

That header!!! Wow!! Love it!!

Fantastic little map. It’s always nice to see how everything connects both thematically and literally. Excited to explore this!

Adventure Thru Cyber Space is an extremely fun, very surprising headlining attraction. The “hub” pavilion had always been home to a wide offering of small, hands on offerings but never actually housed a true moving attraction. You guys basically went for the reverse.

I really love the addition of Nibble! Such an adorable and fitting attraction mascot! The ride has a simple but effective story, and quite a few fun elements, especially the tubes that represent the internet. The sudden drop is a perfect mild but wild thrill! This is fun and feels like exactly what would have been built if Communicore actually did have a large attraction.

What is N.O.R.T. though??

Onto Communicore Hall and this is a really solid idea. I like the concept of all these different exhibit spaces, and this would suit any version of Communicore perfectly. I just really wanted a little more detail. I’m glad you outlined what types of exhibits we would see, just could have used some examples.

Forestalgia is a welcome addition. This is essentially the Epcot Experience made to be a permanent fixture. Personally I would love this incredibly niche experience and make it a must see on each visit. The overall public might not care quite as much but they are also clearly not the target audience for this. The only thing I’d question is how long this could remain relevant. Would there always be enough “coming soon” content to keep it fresh years into the future? Give me that Epcot Peoplemover though!!!

Reflections Courtyard sounds absolutely stunning!! Imagining that large of a glass dome covering that much greenery plus the fountain space is just,.. perfection! Love the little detail of the glass being photovoltaic and being used to collect energy! Very Epcot! Love the new fountain and the gardens. Having all the plants from different continents is such a cool idea! Nice inclusion of Dreamer’s Point.

I would truly love something like Way Back When. In fact, I did a similar attraction in the semifinals of SA7. Same location too! The inclusion of live actors and puppets is a great detail and diehard fans will absolutely love this.

Ha, for Starlight Restaurant I also used that same image during SYWTBAI this year. So obviously I approve of this design direction! A futuristic Starbucks? Count me in! Okay I love that this is literally called “The Fast Food Restaurant of the Future.”

The Wonder of Color show is a great addition. Would this be during the day, at night, or multiple times per day?

Finally Connections Arcade truly feels like something that could be found at modern Epcot in our reality. I think this would be a really fun addition to the pavilion.

Great job!

Creativity: 3/5
Realism: 5/5
Teamwork: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
X-factor: 3/5

20/25

_________

TEAM LOKI - THE LAND

I am mildly disappointed by the lack of Pauley Shore and Stephen Baldwin. Jk.

The Land is my favorite place in all of WDW, and Living With The Land is my favorite attraction. So I’m going into this cautious yet excited.

First of all, I really appreciate that you shifted the focus of the pavilion to climate change and conservation. That probably wouldn’t happen right now, but this feels like the quintessential Epcot pavilion!

Red’s concept art for the pavilion facade is breathtaking! And honestly; wonderful visuals all throughout the project! Those domes!!!

So glad you included Greenpeace! Such a wonderful organization and I would love to see them involved with The Land pavilion in such a way.

You had a really great concept going with Soarin’ over The Land. I think you got a bit lost part of the way through, though. This was introduced as a journey to natural locations yet we visited multiple human-made structures, many of which are in the current attraction. There are a couple of nice additions to the attraction, particularly the volcano. That specifically was a lot of fun! But honestly I was hoping to see more places impacted by human activity just based on the introduction to the ride. You did a lovely job with the introduction and set up and I think with a little more time this could have been really amazing! Are the posters in the queue advertising fictional locations or just the pavilions themselves? Like I’m imagining Mesa Verde and whatnot.

I’m going to go out of order here.

The biodomes are truly lovely! Each one has its own unique features that add so much to the pavilion as a whole. I enjoy that you have small attractions within this area of the pavilion to help fill everything out. This whole thing lends itself so well to self-guided exploration and I love that!

Sunshine Seasons gets more plant-based?! Thank you!!!

Wait,… is that,…. In the headers,… that’s Thanos!! Omg!

Okay, SustainAbility.

I knew this was PerGron. Once again, the attraction this is replacing is my favorite ride of all time. Let’s see how this compares.

First off you retained the original soundtrack and queue feature with all the quotes on the wall and I absolutely love that. The individuals selected to add to those quotes are all fantastic choices and I support this. The shed is a really cool addition that works really well for world building in the world of the attraction itself. It’s a small detail that goes a long way. Zac Enron is an awesome choice for narrator!

The framing of this as a journey through a house is really unexpected and very cool! I would have never considered that but it totally works and you took a couple of extremely basic ideas and made them truly outstanding. The narration is wonderful and I’m able to picture everything in my mind perfectly.

Aww, you kept the bison!
Eww, digging for oil,…

But for real, love how you retained an original scene yet added to it to make it part of your story here. And I think that works perfectly.

The following oil rig scene is very reminiscent of Maelstrom’s big finale and I truly love that.

I think I would lose my mind bawling at the deforestation scene. So many different species of plants and animals just careless cast aside for resources. I hate it. But all of this needs to be addressed and I’m so glad you went all in on this topic.

Keeping the living laboratory segment of the attraction was such a great move. That portion of the ride is iconic and beloved plus it still lends itself well to the concept behind the ride. Yet you still updated it with the addition of insects and the beehives!

And all throughout you did an amazing job with the narration!

Honestly I just love this so much! You did our favorite attraction justice and I love it!

Amazing work everyone!

Creativity: 5/5
Realism: 4/5
Teamwork: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
X-factor: 5/5

23/25

PerGron

Team Loki
PROJECT 003

In this year of 2021, Disney and Nintendo are pleased to announce a new joint effort–Nintendo Bay at Disney’s California Adventure! Nintendo Bay is a land where Nintendo gaming favorites including Yoshi’s Island, Kirby’s Pinball Land, Pokemon Snap, and Animal Crossing come to life! This will be the world’s first exclusive land for Nintendo characters when it opens by 2027. This is the first phase of the Disneyland Forward project that seeks to significantly expand both Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure (across Disneyland Drive) in the years and decades ahead.

To Keep Moving Forward, Click Here

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Loki - Nintendo Bay

Starting off with the Wix site, while this was something I thought belonged in a museum, this mid-2010s fad in armchair imagineering was brought back and done almost to perfection. The interactive map adds so much to not only the presentation and 'wow' factor but also to the reader's ability to be organized. With anything new or brought back there will always be some kinks to work out but they were minor in the long run. For example, sometimes you have to hover to the left or right of the number/letter to get the right link. I kept clicking on Kirby for instance and ended up in Blooper's Lagoon.

The resort location and placement were two standouts in terms of creativity. I like the inclusion of the Pixar Pier hotel and the utilization of space as it would facilitate more room for DCA without overcrowding the pre-existing park.

And while my Nintendo knowledge is basic and via osmosis from projects on this site, aesthetically speaking the Wuhu Island feels like a perfect blend of coastal California mixed with some tropics to keep with the park's "theme." It also keeps separate the land from current Nintendo lands (something that all teams did which was nice to see)

Yoshi to the Rescue felt like a great amalgamation of classic Nintendo tropes mixed with imagineering fun. A wonderful way to kick off the attractions in this land.

Pokemon Snap River Expedition was something that despite multiple Pokemon projects over the years, I don't think I've ever read in the style of a Jurassic Park type attraction. Despite being a bit rushed at the end, I think the essence of this attraction is something to be commended and I hope is fleshed out at some point in the future with a map/images/etc because it deserves it.

Kirby's Pinball Ride felt like such a fun way of incorporating the interactivity of Nintendo with the attraction itself. This is something I sincerely hope comes to a future Nintendo expansion. And great map/custom ride vehicle image to go along with it.

Koholint Island Adventures as an escape room is a great idea - something that again builds the interactivity together with an attraction. And a shoutout to @cdunlap for learning from @MonorailRed how to do custom artwork. It was something that took place in their lounge and a great example of how to help teammates along.

In terms of the dining and shopping I thought that the Animal Crossing Marketplace was one of the standouts here. The rest were also solid but on the minor side comparatively to the attractions.

Creativity - 4.5/5 - Great location and usage of eclectic Nintendo IP to intergrate into the land.
Realism - 4/5 - For the most part this felt like it could happen and especially the Kirby ride to me felt like something that should have been in a Nintendo land yesterday
Teamwork - 4/5 - Solid work all around.
Presentation - 4.5/5 - I like to see multiple people contributing to the artwork and one of them in particular learning/teaching a new skill.
X-Factor - 5/5 - Wix website and interactive map

Total: 22/25

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom