What If… Disney Parks Edition Game Thread

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
1A723461-C93E-4131-BDE2-0D5FC299316E.png

PROJECT 001 REVIEWS

All three teams had wonderfully active brainstorming and I think just about every player involved contributed something. That was awesome to see! On the flip side, it felt like all three teams also struggled to finalize their direction for their project to varying degrees. Regardless, there are some true highlights in all three of these and you should all be proud!

For each round of reviews, I’ll be going in order of who posted chronologically. So Team Loki is up first!

TEAM LOKI
AUTUMN LANDING

First of all, I absolutely love the New England setting! That region set in the 1790s/1800s would fit seamlessly into Disneyland, or any castle park for that matter. We do have a small version of that at WDW with Liberty Square, but really that only exists because the Haunted Mansion needed a land to reside in.

Secondly, I love the horror element! Some of my personal favorite (and most well received) projects have been horror themed. So this definitely captured my interest right away.

Let me get one thing out of the way real quick; this was begging to be put in a Google Doc. Forum posts are totally fine for certain projects, but this needed to be something more than that.

Moving on! The Harvest Festival provides some lovely world building that makes this area feel alive. Particularly the Autumn Breeze Tavern, that felt like quintessential Disney dining to me. There’s something special about being that immersed in a place out of time, even if you are being served food cooked with modern equipment.

Major kudos to the Sleepy Hallow Hay Ride. Incorporating The Muppets into this is something I would have never dreamed of, and it is truly an awesome concept! The Muppets are fun but they can also be fairly scary in their own ways sometimes and this demonstrates that perfectly. I’m assuming this is an outdoor attraction based on the ride vehicles, correct? I’d love to see this whole thing more fully realized at some point.

Pumpkin Patch Playground. First of all, say that seven times fast. Secondly,… you cannot just tell me there’s an animatronic cow nested on a scarecrow and not show me that!

I really appreciated the hand drawn artwork for the Danse Macabre Library. It’s a really nifty idea and I enjoy that it seemingly has multiple paths and lends itself to exploration. I was just wondering how it actually ends though? That part wasn’t clear to me.

Hocus Pocus! Excellent! I’m so glad you decided to go with this. I do want to say, don’t forget the setup; not everyone will be deeply familiar with your IP so it’s important to just let readers know who all the characters are. That reminder really goes for everyone, and is something I also have to remind myself from time to time.

Anyway, this is a really fun idea. I wouldn’t have thought of making this a launch coaster but that works! It makes this automatically an exciting E-ticket ride that will attract big crowds, and lends itself well to the Sanderson Sisters and their brand of mischief. The one thing I really would have loved is a track layout.

The project didn’t have a conclusion, it just sort of abruptly ends. I know it’s not the most important element but it does help us know that, yes in fact we have covered everything.

Thank you for your work!

Creativity 4/5 - lots of good ideas!! You had wonderful brainstorming, and I’m really looking forward to everything else we get to see from you.
Realism 3/5 - I had a difficult time visualizing where everything was in relation to everything else. Track layouts or detailed maps are always helpful.
Presentation 3/5 - sorry, I kinda had to take a few points off here. Don’t sweat it though! It’s the first prompt!
Teamwork 4/5 - giving you credit for the fast and active start you had.
X-factor 4/5 - probably would have given this a perfect score if I had a few more visuals for the main attractions. You had lots of “wow” potential here.

TOTAL: 18/25

TEAM WANDA
THE LOST KINGDOM

Right away I love that you chose to place this entire land on the island in Rivers of America. The map is gorgeous!

The backstory for The Dark Forest gave me chills! You pulled me in right away and I was hooked for the entire project. I love that this is a walkthrough attraction, and really your entire land is dedicated to exploration and discovery. That’s a bold move but one that I think truly paid off!

The Forgotten Castle sounds like an awesome time! An escape room fits perfectly into a land that is all about the experience and you nailed it here.

Really love the idea behind The Dreaming Tree. It’s sort of tongue in cheek with the other lands making up the nine realms. Very cool concept! Trackless rides are used quite a lot in armchair imagineering these days, but honestly I think it works here! I just wish we had a little more detail from the visits to each land. What are the citizens up to? Any special details or Easter eggs? Interactivity? I think with a little extra this would have been a masterpiece honestly.

Similarly, Mystery of the Dreaming Tree is a really fun idea, but I just wanted a little more detail. I do love the visuals though!

I love love love the Rainbow Caverns nod in the Endless Caverns section! So, so cool. This cast of characters is so charming and well thought out! That’s really what I think you all excelled at the most this round; world building. Even if I felt like some of the experiences needed a bit more, you made up for it by making me feel like this is a real place that I desperately want to visit!
The Quest for Mastery game is a really fun touch! I feel like this could develop a very devoted niche following and be a true hit with the locals.

I really appreciate the effort that went into each walk around character. They’re all well thought out and I really love how they’re all somehow connected to different merchants in the town. That just makes this place feel so genuine and lived in!

Conceptually I absolutely fell in love with this project! The artwork you used was beautiful and helped get me into the setting. Your ideas are wonderful and overall I just loved it! Thank you for your efforts!

Creativity 5/5 - an entire land on an island totally dedicated to self guided exploration. It was a risk and it paid off!
Realism 4/5 - could it exist? Absolutely! Would it? Probably not, but that’s the fun of the game! You also had excellent place making and world building.
Teamwork 3/5 - slow start but more than made up for it by the end. Looking forward to amazing things from you!
Presentation 4/5 - just missing those few extra details at a couple points but this was so close to being a 5 from me.
X factor 5/5 - this concept really resonated with me and I think it’s awesome!

TOTAL: 21/25

TEAM CASSIE
DISCOVERY COVE

Right off the bat you have a fantastic backstory and I am totally invested! The music is beautiful! And not only does it set the scene so well, but the instruments being used even fit the overall theme… Brilliant.

Also loving the kinetic energy with the various water and steam effects. Those details add so much to any land or attraction.

Spirit of the Depths sounds like an incredible night time show! The only issue I had was trying to visualize it within the context of the entire land. Really would have loved a detailed map for the whole thing but that’s okay.

Onto Quest for the Star of the Sea. We always love a good S.E.A. tie in around here! I have to commend you for the O.S.H.U.N. acronym. Good stuff. Love the backstory as well! This whole ride sounds fun, A 50’ BACKWARDS DROP?!?!! Okay,…okay,…I will admire your E-ticket from over here. But I do appreciate the Rainbow Caverns nod here. All the giant creatures sound visually stunning and I appreciate the images to help visualize it. I guess I’m just not sure if these needed to be have that advanced ride system, but that’s me nitpicking. Great job on this!

Beauty of the Waters is tugging at every one of my heartstrings. This is basically a Living Seas tribute and I am HERE for it! The pre-show dialogue,…you nailed it! The inclusion of the Espanõl safety spiel just made this. I’m hooked and I’m entirely invested. The entire journey is just wonderful, the narration is absolutely Disney, and everything is described with great attention to detail with plenty of images to accompany the story. Loved the brief “something went wrong” element without it ever being too dramatic or dangerous. We just take the scenic route. JELLY FISH!!! My favorite animal. Yeah this got me.

Mysteries of the Iron Submersible is a nice addition to the project. Escape room concepts are becoming more common on the forums and this one delivers. I appreciate that it’s also kind of a ride in a way. Great immersion.

Onto Discovery Bay Waterworks and there’s a water powered clock?! Awesome! This is a fun little addition. Walkthroughs like this are great for world building and making this feel like a real place. I appreciate the idea that there is always more to discover. Nice work.

High Tide Splash is a perfectly serviceable flat ride that helps round out the attraction lineup.

Every single element of this project is nautical themed and I think it’s well executed. Your attraction lineup is full and varied and I really dig that. Find me at the salad bar at Wave and Fish!

Thank you for your efforts!

Creativity 5/5 - I think you nailed this.
Realism 4/5 - really wanted a detailed map and more visuals of the buildings and structures themselves. But I could absolutely see this existing in a perfect world!
Teamwork 3/5 - once you got going, you got going. I’m looking forward to amazing things from you!
Presentation 5/5 - while I wanted a couple more visual details here and there, this was very well made and the custom music really put it over the top.
X Factor 4/5 - well thought out, balanced, and well executed attraction lineup, great writing, and backstory. Loved it!

TOTAL 21/25

Let’s go teams!! Great opening round!!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 716820

PROJECT 001 REVIEWS

All three teams had wonderfully active brainstorming and I think just about every player involved contributed something. That was awesome to see! On the flip side, it felt like all three teams also struggled to finalize their direction for their project to varying degrees. Regardless, there are some true highlights in all three of these and you should all be proud!

For each round of reviews, I’ll be going in order of who posted chronologically. So Team Loki is up first!

TEAM LOKI
AUTUMN LANDING

First of all, I absolutely love the New England setting! That region set in the 1790s/1800s would fit seamlessly into Disneyland, or any castle park for that matter. We do have a small version of that at WDW with Liberty Square, but really that only exists because the Haunted Mansion needed a land to reside in.

Secondly, I love the horror element! Some of my personal favorite (and most well received) projects have been horror themed. So this definitely captured my interest right away.

Let me get one thing out of the way real quick; this was begging to be put in a Google Doc. Forum posts are totally fine for certain projects, but this needed to be something more than that.

Moving on! The Harvest Festival provides some lovely world building that makes this area feel alive. Particularly the Autumn Breeze Tavern, that felt like quintessential Disney dining to me. There’s something special about being that immersed in a place out of time, even if you are being served food cooked with modern equipment.

Major kudos to the Sleepy Hallow Hay Ride. Incorporating The Muppets into this is something I would have never dreamed of, and it is truly an awesome concept! The Muppets are fun but they can also be fairly scary in their own ways sometimes and this demonstrates that perfectly. I’m assuming this is an outdoor attraction based on the ride vehicles, correct? I’d love to see this whole thing more fully realized at some point.

Pumpkin Patch Playground. First of all, say that seven times fast. Secondly,… you cannot just tell me there’s an animatronic cow nested on a scarecrow and not show me that!

I really appreciated the hand drawn artwork for the Danse Macabre Library. It’s a really nifty idea and I enjoy that it seemingly has multiple paths and lends itself to exploration. I was just wondering how it actually ends though? That part wasn’t clear to me.

Hocus Pocus! Excellent! I’m so glad you decided to go with this. I do want to say, don’t forget the setup; not everyone will be deeply familiar with your IP so it’s important to just let readers know who all the characters are. That reminder really goes for everyone, and is something I also have to remind myself from time to time.

Anyway, this is a really fun idea. I wouldn’t have thought of making this a launch coaster but that works! It makes this automatically an exciting E-ticket ride that will attract big crowds, and lends itself well to the Sanderson Sisters and their brand of mischief. The one thing I really would have loved is a track layout.

The project didn’t have a conclusion, it just sort of abruptly ends. I know it’s not the most important element but it does help us know that, yes in fact we have covered everything.

Thank you for your work!

Creativity 4/5 - lots of good ideas!! You had wonderful brainstorming, and I’m really looking forward to everything else we get to see from you.
Realism 3/5 - I had a difficult time visualizing where everything was in relation to everything else. Track layouts or detailed maps are always helpful.
Presentation 3/5 - sorry, I kinda had to take a few points off here. Don’t sweat it though! It’s the first prompt!
Teamwork 4/5 - giving you credit for the fast and active start you had.
X-factor 4/5 - probably would have given this a perfect score if I had a few more visuals for the main attractions. You had lots of “wow” potential here.

TOTAL: 18/25

TEAM WANDA
THE LOST KINGDOM

Right away I love that you chose to place this entire land on the island in Rivers of America. The map is gorgeous!

The backstory for The Dark Forest gave me chills! You pulled me in right away and I was hooked for the entire project. I love that this is a walkthrough attraction, and really your entire land is dedicated to exploration and discovery. That’s a bold move but one that I think truly paid off!

The Forgotten Castle sounds like an awesome time! An escape room fits perfectly into a land that is all about the experience and you nailed it here.

Really love the idea behind The Dreaming Tree. It’s sort of tongue in cheek with the other lands making up the nine realms. Very cool concept! Trackless rides are used quite a lot in armchair imagineering these days, but honestly I think it works here! I just wish we had a little more detail from the visits to each land. What are the citizens up to? Any special details or Easter eggs? Interactivity? I think with a little extra this would have been a masterpiece honestly.

Similarly, Mystery of the Dreaming Tree is a really fun idea, but I just wanted a little more detail. I do love the visuals though!

I love love love the Rainbow Caverns nod in the Endless Caverns section! So, so cool. This cast of characters is so charming and well thought out! That’s really what I think you all excelled at the most this round; world building. Even if I felt like some of the experiences needed a bit more, you made up for it by making me feel like this is a real place that I desperately want to visit!
The Quest for Mastery game is a really fun touch! I feel like this could develop a very devoted niche following and be a true hit with the locals.

I really appreciate the effort that went into each walk around character. They’re all well thought out and I really love how they’re all somehow connected to different merchants in the town. That just makes this place feel so genuine and lived in!

Conceptually I absolutely fell in love with this project! The artwork you used was beautiful and helped get me into the setting. Your ideas are wonderful and overall I just loved it! Thank you for your efforts!

Creativity 5/5 - an entire land on an island totally dedicated to self guided exploration. It was a risk and it paid off!
Realism 4/5 - could it exist? Absolutely! Would it? Probably not, but that’s the fun of the game! You also had excellent place making and world building.
Teamwork 3/5 - slow start but more than made up for it by the end. Looking forward to amazing things from you!
Presentation 4/5 - just missing those few extra details at a couple points but this was so close to being a 5 from me.
X factor 5/5 - this concept really resonated with me and I think it’s awesome!

TOTAL: 21/25

TEAM CASSIE
DISCOVERY COVE

Right off the bat you have a fantastic backstory and I am totally invested! The music is beautiful! And not only does it set the scene so well, but the instruments being used even fit the overall theme… Brilliant.

Also loving the kinetic energy with the various water and steam effects. Those details add so much to any land or attraction.

Spirit of the Depths sounds like an incredible night time show! The only issue I had was trying to visualize it within the context of the entire land. Really would have loved a detailed map for the whole thing but that’s okay.

Onto Quest for the Star of the Sea. We always love a good S.E.A. tie in around here! I have to commend you for the O.S.H.U.N. acronym. Good stuff. Love the backstory as well! This whole ride sounds fun, A 50’ BACKWARDS DROP?!?!! Okay,…okay,…I will admire your E-ticket from over here. But I do appreciate the Rainbow Caverns nod here. All the giant creatures sound visually stunning and I appreciate the images to help visualize it. I guess I’m just not sure if these needed to be have that advanced ride system, but that’s me nitpicking. Great job on this!

Beauty of the Waters is tugging at every one of my heartstrings. This is basically a Living Seas tribute and I am HERE for it! The pre-show dialogue,…you nailed it! The inclusion of the Espanõl safety spiel just made this. I’m hooked and I’m entirely invested. The entire journey is just wonderful, the narration is absolutely Disney, and everything is described with great attention to detail with plenty of images to accompany the story. Loved the brief “something went wrong” element without it ever being too dramatic or dangerous. We just take the scenic route. JELLY FISH!!! My favorite animal. Yeah this got me.

Mysteries of the Iron Submersible is a nice addition to the project. Escape room concepts are becoming more common on the forums and this one delivers. I appreciate that it’s also kind of a ride in a way. Great immersion.

Onto Discovery Bay Waterworks and there’s a water powered clock?! Awesome! This is a fun little addition. Walkthroughs like this are great for world building and making this feel like a real place. I appreciate the idea that there is always more to discover. Nice work.

High Tide Splash is a perfectly serviceable flat ride that helps round out the attraction lineup.

Every single element of this project is nautical themed and I think it’s well executed. Your attraction lineup is full and varied and I really dig that. Find me at the salad bar at Wave and Fish!

Thank you for your efforts!

Creativity 5/5 - I think you nailed this.
Realism 4/5 - really wanted a detailed map and more visuals of the buildings and structures themselves. But I could absolutely see this existing in a perfect world!
Teamwork 3/5 - once you got going, you got going. I’m looking forward to amazing things from you!
Presentation 5/5 - while I wanted a couple more visual details here and there, this was very well made and the custom music really put it over the top.
X Factor 4/5 - well thought out, balanced, and well executed attraction lineup, great writing, and backstory. Loved it!

TOTAL 21/25

Let’s go teams!! Great opening round!!
This is great. I like to being a guest judge. Wish me still in the game for future rounds.

tcool123

1684809588053.png

What if...Star-Lord never visited Epcot when he was a child,
and instead we experience a refresh like no other simply called

1684808697894.png

Explore the pavilion with a simple click of the map
once you're inside the pavilion utilize its guide on the left to find the parts you'd like to experience.

1684808137269.png

Thank you and best of luck to the other teams!

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Cassie - Universe of Energy

Going with the Universe of Energy pavilion was a great choice. This pavilion felt true to the original intentions of EPCOT Center yet merged some more nuanced elements together in particular with the architecture, the kinetic energy of the area, as well as with some of the novel food options.

In terms of brainstorming, despite some on the team having less familiarity with the park or less than enthused about its current state, the teamwork felt like it didn't miss a beat from the early days of Project 001. With more folks being relatively available, there was an assortment of contributions to the project that made it feel like a 'team' effort.

While there are many things to talk about in this project, I think it goes without saying that the standout component to me is the original music composition by @MickeyWaffleCo. - not only is this some of the best original music ever put on the forum, but it sounds as if it belongs in the original EPCOT Center background loops. Simply incredible!

Harmony Plaza and the energy walkways seem like a very kinetic way to enter the pavilion. It reminds me of the glowing lights that used to line the paths as you walked at night through Innoventions. I also like the inclusion of some foliage on this side of the park as it always felt intentionally bare compared to the more lush Future World West. I also like how it was noted regarding each pavilion's signature exterior design, whereas now the energy-generating fountain along with Harmony Plaza represent that element for the pavilion.

It was always ironic to me that the pavilion tied to futuristic energy was sponsored by Exxon and felt like the most lifeless area of Epcot. All these alterations and focus on the physical energy not only fit the theme of the pavilion but really make it a standout. I like the description of the coaster as well as the suspended ride vehicles, as it keeps the innovative ride system that UoE was previously known and gives guests a more thrilling addition to the park. A minor quibble, what not put inches for the height requirement? 40 inches? Trying to do mental math this late but I've never seen it written like that before.

Moreover for the attraction, I like how there are dark ride elements to the coaster, in the very least that it begins with show scenes that represent the edutainment values of the original EPCOT Center attractions. I also like the description of the Sun scenes in particular and then actually venturing outside in the Florida 'sun'. That may not work for night rides, but it's a nice thought. I also appreciate how the speed of light is the transition to the coaster portion. Based on the map (which was well drawn, btw), I am a bit confused on the description of this part, as it says that it is hurtling toward Spaceship Earth but on the map the launch appears to be going in the opposite direction. The Grid section felt a bit like TRON, but it also was reminiscent of the Jeremy Irons version of Spaceship Earth with the communication tunnel near the apex of the ride. That was one of my favorite parts of the ride, so whether intentional or not, it felt like a nice homage to that attraction.

I like how the exit leads into an exhibit in classic fashion, good job @NateD1226 !. The kiosks were great descriptions as well, similar to Project Tomorrow after Spaceship Earth. The Molecule Goblet seemed like a really unique drink that only @tcool123 would come up with, and I also like the reference to dinos and the original UoE with the design.

Creativity - 4/5 (Love the emphasis on kinetics, and a bump up from last week!)
Realism - 4.5/5 (Despite perhaps the oddity of a night ride in the Sun section, I really think much of this could happen)
Teamwork - 4/5 (Much improved, perhaps a more intriguing prompt for the team as a whole will bump this up even higher)
Presentation - 4/5 (Same as last week, I liked the organization of the google doc. Some of the images were a bit small but overall good)
X-Factor - 5/5 (The music was the X-Factor to me this round, fantastic job)

Total: 21.5/25

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No

View attachment 718055

What if...Star-Lord never visited Epcot when he was a child,
and instead we experience a refresh like no other simply called

View attachment 718053

Explore the pavilion with a simple click of the map
once you're inside the pavilion utilize its guide on the left to find the parts you'd like to experience.

View attachment 718048

Thank you and best of luck to the other teams!

I vaguely remember your team already posting something...

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Wanda - CommuniCore

Picking my personal favorite choice out of the options, this had so much potential to explore and despite some of the work stoppages throughout the week for a variety of understandable reasons, I do think much of what I found enticing about this option held true into the final project.

To start, the initial days of brainstorming the pros and cons of each option should be taught in Imagineering 101. Each option was meticulously put on the table and ultimately it came down to going with what the consensus was, despite strong alternatives. Really couldn't have gone any better.

As for the new pavilion, why I am so enamoured with this is that it could be Disney Springs inside of EPCOT or it could house multiple E-Ticket attractions, or it could be a mix of both. And for a large team out of all the options it provides the most flexibility. Starting with the main coaster, Adventure Thru Cyber Space, a great name, I also liked how the host was the virus protection company McAfee, a nice touch. I do like the description of this coaster. While I think some visuals would have helped placemake the coaster a bit more, I think the bones of a great, unique EPCOT attraction are here. Much like the Astuter Computer Revue, this seems like the natural next gen of that type of attraction and it provides a nice causeway into the more technical elements of Future World East. This goes back to the nice hand drawn map on the opening page, which appears to have numbered labels on it, but I don't see what those numbers are referring to.

Transitioning to some of the exhibits, I love the idea of keeping original EPCOT history and being able to relive past attractions. I've thought myself why don't they slice off a piece of CommuniCore just for this type of technology, because it would be easy money. Moreover, I think perhaps the most innovative concept from the entire project was the Glass Dome over the causeway in CommuniCore. I would have really loved to have seen more detail from perspectives and whatnot as a guest in this section, because I think this would reinvent the wheel, especially with the unpredictable Florida summers, and provide a seamless transition from The Land as well as an international transition into World Showcase. This to me, despite its brevity, was probably the best idea in the project.

The dining was nice, albeit, a bit basic. I wish more creativity was put into some of the projects. Perhaps you all were going for a more minimalistic aesthetic, but the menu felt a bit thrown together and the Starbucks just looked like any Starbucks. The robotic restaurant is interesting, but I feel like this already exists. Something never before seen would have captivated me more.

In terms of retail, definitely nice to see Club Cool, a World of Color spinoff show, and an arcade to round out some of the entertainment options. Yet I do think that perhaps with some more time, this team could have really gotten super unique with some of the offerings and taken some more chances in terms of novelty shops and restaurants to completely reinvent this area. Nonetheless, this was still a great choice to go with CommuniCore for this project and hope to see more wonderful things from this team in the future.

Creativity - 4/5 (The dome, coaster, and nostalgia kept this high-ish, but the remainder could have been better)
Realism - 3.5/5 (Wish the map had a key, however it's a big plot of land, I'm sure most if not all will fit)
Teamwork - 4/5 (Despite a drop off in activity the last few days, this team still had some great initial brainstorming.)
Presentation - 4.5/5 (Great site, well structured, same score as last week)

X-Factor - 4/5 (This goes to the Glass Dome concept. A great idea that left me wanting to know more)

Total - 20/25

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Loki - The Land

So everyone can rest easy that there was 3 different options for pavilions - woo! This was the option that I thought along with Spaceship Earth, would have the most uphill battle, mainly because the current incarnation of both are two of the truest forms of the original EPCOT Center left in the park as it stands today.

While this team still has that energetic spunk throwing out ideas, which is great as long as everyone comes together in the end, I think this round had much more balance when it came to the direction. There was a quasi team leader, and everyone seemed to understand the assignment. A quick side note that while the site is very well put together it felt unnecessary in the last few minutes of the project. If the site was the goal from the start I think it should have been stated as such rather than go through the trouble of someone putting things together on a google doc only to transfer it all over at the last minute. It all worked out in the end, but it's just something to consider in the future. It's not impacting any score.

Once again @MonorailRed shines through with incredible artwork that realizes the vision this team set out to do - enhance the Land pavilion. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think adding the glass biodomes out front of the pavilion as well as the lobby interior design changes and color schemes were all home run choices to make. It really makes The Land feel more lived in and 'Earthy' as opposed to a great exterior and a shopping center interior.

While I like the logo and description of Soarin' other than a few scene changes I'm not sure how the attraction was enhanced. This was probably the least enticing part of the project, simply because it felt repetitive. I like Soarin' but perhaps you could have changed it to be like Star Tours, so there's a variety of scenery that you may encounter, and you never have the same flight twice.

SustainABILITY to me was the biggest risk of the project, because to me Living with the Land is a perfect attraction and always will be. So to update it, there needed to be some care and attention put to it. I think much of this write-up incorporated some great tidbits of knowledge and refocused the attention of the attraction to conservation as much as it is innovative growth techniques that it reshaped that way guests would experience the attraction while still keeping the essence of what makes Living with the Land so unique.

The BioDomes were also a great addition to this project. I think both of these helped to maintain the focus on conservating out natural environment. That's why I feel to complete the attraction tie-in trifecta, more attention could have been placed on updating the story of Soarin' perhaps guests should experience Soarin' after SustainABILITY to appreciate the natural beauty of our world, or focus Soarin' on a mixture of what is going wrong in the world and how to change it. Sort of like a rideable Circle of Life or Awesome Planet show.

The shopping and dining kind of felt like an after-thought. I get the busy schedules with school so that is understandable, at the same time though it's hard to give creative credit when it's basically restating what already exists.

Creativity - 4/5 (The facade/lobby art, SustainABILITY, and the BioDomes pushed it over the edge, Soarin and the dining/shops held it from being higher)
Realism - 4.5/5 (Given the direction of our world, this is almost a necessary update to the pavilion)
Teamwork - 4/5 (Strong work overall, hopefully next project more can contribute in full)
Presentation - 4.5/5 (Art + site was well laid out)
X-Factor - 5/5 (Goes to the art once again, it's really top-tier!)

Total - 22/25

Congrats to all!

Disney Warrior

Team Loki - The Land

So everyone can rest easy that there was 3 different options for pavilions - woo! This was the option that I thought along with Spaceship Earth, would have the most uphill battle, mainly because the current incarnation of both are two of the truest forms of the original EPCOT Center left in the park as it stands today.

While this team still has that energetic spunk throwing out ideas, which is great as long as everyone comes together in the end, I think this round had much more balance when it came to the direction. There was a quasi team leader, and everyone seemed to understand the assignment. A quick side note that while the site is very well put together it felt unnecessary in the last few minutes of the project. If the site was the goal from the start I think it should have been stated as such rather than go through the trouble of someone putting things together on a google doc only to transfer it all over at the last minute. It all worked out in the end, but it's just something to consider in the future. It's not impacting any score.

Once again @MonorailRed shines through with incredible artwork that realizes the vision this team set out to do - enhance the Land pavilion. From an aesthetic standpoint, I think adding the glass biodomes out front of the pavilion as well as the lobby interior design changes and color schemes were all home run choices to make. It really makes The Land feel more lived in and 'Earthy' as opposed to a great exterior and a shopping center interior.

While I like the logo and description of Soarin' other than a few scene changes I'm not sure how the attraction was enhanced. This was probably the least enticing part of the project, simply because it felt repetitive. I like Soarin' but perhaps you could have changed it to be like Star Tours, so there's a variety of scenery that you may encounter, and you never have the same flight twice.

SustainABILITY to me was the biggest risk of the project, because to me Living with the Land is a perfect attraction and always will be. So to update it, there needed to be some care and attention put to it. I think much of this write-up incorporated some great tidbits of knowledge and refocused the attention of the attraction to conservation as much as it is innovative growth techniques that it reshaped that way guests would experience the attraction while still keeping the essence of what makes Living with the Land so unique.

The BioDomes were also a great addition to this project. I think both of these helped to maintain the focus on conservating out natural environment. That's why I feel to complete the attraction tie-in trifecta, more attention could have been placed on updating the story of Soarin' perhaps guests should experience Soarin' after SustainABILITY to appreciate the natural beauty of our world, or focus Soarin' on a mixture of what is going wrong in the world and how to change it. Sort of like a rideable Circle of Life or Awesome Planet show.

The shopping and dining kind of felt like an after-thought. I get the busy schedules with school so that is understandable, at the same time though it's hard to give creative credit when it's basically restating what already exists.

Creativity - 4/5 (The facade/lobby art, SustainABILITY, and the BioDomes pushed it over the edge, Soarin and the dining/shops held it from being higher)
Realism - 4.5/5 (Given the direction of our world, this is almost a necessary update to the pavilion)
Teamwork - 4/5 (Strong work overall, hopefully next project more can contribute in full)
Presentation - 4.5/5 (Art + site was well laid out)
X-Factor - 5/5 (Goes to the art once again, it's really top-tier!)

Total - 22/25

Congrats to all!
About soarin’, I had never been on the ride, so I relied on a YouTube pov and the Wikipedia article for ”enhancing” it (I didn’t feel that there was much to add)

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Team Loki's "The Land"
I love it, Soarin Over The Land is gonna be a big thing than Soarin' Over The World, as I love scenes such as Brazil, and Epcot Center. SustainABILTY is awesome, I like Living With The Land, it's a classic ride, you can exploring the plants as this cool nice dark ride makes a experience for the guests. But beehives will be perfect for beekeepers. I really love shopping and dining experience, but BioDome has a great attractions such as clone of Aquatopia from Tokyo DisneySea. But I like this Team Loki's "The Land" project. I'll gave it, 10/10. This is perfect is my life to exploring the Land while visiting Epcot.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Team Wanda - CommuniCore

Picking my personal favorite choice out of the options, this had so much potential to explore and despite some of the work stoppages throughout the week for a variety of understandable reasons, I do think much of what I found enticing about this option held true into the final project.

To start, the initial days of brainstorming the pros and cons of each option should be taught in Imagineering 101. Each option was meticulously put on the table and ultimately it came down to going with what the consensus was, despite strong alternatives. Really couldn't have gone any better.

As for the new pavilion, why I am so enamoured with this is that it could be Disney Springs inside of EPCOT or it could house multiple E-Ticket attractions, or it could be a mix of both. And for a large team out of all the options it provides the most flexibility. Starting with the main coaster, Adventure Thru Cyber Space, a great name, I also liked how the host was the virus protection company McAfee, a nice touch. I do like the description of this coaster. While I think some visuals would have helped placemake the coaster a bit more, I think the bones of a great, unique EPCOT attraction are here. Much like the Astuter Computer Revue, this seems like the natural next gen of that type of attraction and it provides a nice causeway into the more technical elements of Future World East. This goes back to the nice hand drawn map on the opening page, which appears to have numbered labels on it, but I don't see what those numbers are referring to.

Transitioning to some of the exhibits, I love the idea of keeping original EPCOT history and being able to relive past attractions. I've thought myself why don't they slice off a piece of CommuniCore just for this type of technology, because it would be easy money. Moreover, I think perhaps the most innovative concept from the entire project was the Glass Dome over the causeway in CommuniCore. I would have really loved to have seen more detail from perspectives and whatnot as a guest in this section, because I think this would reinvent the wheel, especially with the unpredictable Florida summers, and provide a seamless transition from The Land as well as an international transition into World Showcase. This to me, despite its brevity, was probably the best idea in the project.

The dining was nice, albeit, a bit basic. I wish more creativity was put into some of the projects. Perhaps you all were going for a more minimalistic aesthetic, but the menu felt a bit thrown together and the Starbucks just looked like any Starbucks. The robotic restaurant is interesting, but I feel like this already exists. Something never before seen would have captivated me more.

In terms of retail, definitely nice to see Club Cool, a World of Color spinoff show, and an arcade to round out some of the entertainment options. Yet I do think that perhaps with some more time, this team could have really gotten super unique with some of the offerings and taken some more chances in terms of novelty shops and restaurants to completely reinvent this area. Nonetheless, this was still a great choice to go with CommuniCore for this project and hope to see more wonderful things from this team in the future.

Creativity - 4/5 (The dome, coaster, and nostalgia kept this high-ish, but the remainder could have been better)
Realism - 3.5/5 (Wish the map had a key, however it's a big plot of land, I'm sure most if not all will fit)
Teamwork - 4/5 (Despite a drop off in activity the last few days, this team still had some great initial brainstorming.)
Presentation - 4.5/5 (Great site, well structured, same score as last week)

X-Factor - 4/5 (This goes to the Glass Dome concept. A great idea that left me wanting to know more)

Total - 20/25
Yeah, this is amazing idea, guys. Good job. 10/10 to you all guys. I'm a great judge reviewer.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Team Cassie - Universe of Energy

Going with the Universe of Energy pavilion was a great choice. This pavilion felt true to the original intentions of EPCOT Center yet merged some more nuanced elements together in particular with the architecture, the kinetic energy of the area, as well as with some of the novel food options.

In terms of brainstorming, despite some on the team having less familiarity with the park or less than enthused about its current state, the teamwork felt like it didn't miss a beat from the early days of Project 001. With more folks being relatively available, there was an assortment of contributions to the project that made it feel like a 'team' effort.

While there are many things to talk about in this project, I think it goes without saying that the standout component to me is the original music composition by @MickeyWaffleCo. - not only is this some of the best original music ever put on the forum, but it sounds as if it belongs in the original EPCOT Center background loops. Simply incredible!

Harmony Plaza and the energy walkways seem like a very kinetic way to enter the pavilion. It reminds me of the glowing lights that used to line the paths as you walked at night through Innoventions. I also like the inclusion of some foliage on this side of the park as it always felt intentionally bare compared to the more lush Future World West. I also like how it was noted regarding each pavilion's signature exterior design, whereas now the energy-generating fountain along with Harmony Plaza represent that element for the pavilion.

It was always ironic to me that the pavilion tied to futuristic energy was sponsored by Exxon and felt like the most lifeless area of Epcot. All these alterations and focus on the physical energy not only fit the theme of the pavilion but really make it a standout. I like the description of the coaster as well as the suspended ride vehicles, as it keeps the innovative ride system that UoE was previously known and gives guests a more thrilling addition to the park. A minor quibble, what not put inches for the height requirement? 40 inches? Trying to do mental math this late but I've never seen it written like that before.

Moreover for the attraction, I like how there are dark ride elements to the coaster, in the very least that it begins with show scenes that represent the edutainment values of the original EPCOT Center attractions. I also like the description of the Sun scenes in particular and then actually venturing outside in the Florida 'sun'. That may not work for night rides, but it's a nice thought. I also appreciate how the speed of light is the transition to the coaster portion. Based on the map (which was well drawn, btw), I am a bit confused on the description of this part, as it says that it is hurtling toward Spaceship Earth but on the map the launch appears to be going in the opposite direction. The Grid section felt a bit like TRON, but it also was reminiscent of the Jeremy Irons version of Spaceship Earth with the communication tunnel near the apex of the ride. That was one of my favorite parts of the ride, so whether intentional or not, it felt like a nice homage to that attraction.

I like how the exit leads into an exhibit in classic fashion, good job @NateD1226 !. The kiosks were great descriptions as well, similar to Project Tomorrow after Spaceship Earth. The Molecule Goblet seemed like a really unique drink that only @tcool123 would come up with, and I also like the reference to dinos and the original UoE with the design.

Creativity - 4/5 (Love the emphasis on kinetics, and a bump up from last week!)
Realism - 4.5/5 (Despite perhaps the oddity of a night ride in the Sun section, I really think much of this could happen)
Teamwork - 4/5 (Much improved, perhaps a more intriguing prompt for the team as a whole will bump this up even higher)
Presentation - 4/5 (Same as last week, I liked the organization of the google doc. Some of the images were a bit small but overall good)
X-Factor - 5/5 (The music was the X-Factor to me this round, fantastic job)

Total: 21.5/25
I like Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind. But this is amazing. I love it, I really love it. This Universe of Energy coaster is going to be a popular attraction in Epcot. 10/10.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom