What Do ...

cdunbar

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Attempting to connect the dots, I'm going to make a prediction here. [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]I predict that part of Disney's of what Jim MacPhee and his "Next Generation Experience" will be to implement queueless waiting on all of the major attractions across the resort. Then they will provide a means by which guests can schedule their activities in the parks ahead of time. So, you might log on to the scheduler from your hotel TV/Interactive Kiosk the night before or morning you're visiting Magic Kingdom and select the attractions you want to go on for the day. The system would then generate all of your group codes/time slots and you would get a list. Perhaps they'll tie in an alert system via RFID to give you a head's up before your time is up. [/FONT]
Possibly but without any lines I can only imagine that the crowds would be worse, I mean no lines mean there is no actual way to "eat" people...:shrug:

GrumpyFan

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Attempting to connect the dots, I'm going to make a prediction here.

I predict that part of what Jim MacPhee and his "Next Generation Experience" will be to implement queueless waiting on all of the major attractions across the resort. Then they will provide a means by which guests can schedule their activities in the parks ahead of time. So, you might log on to the scheduler from your hotel TV/Interactive Kiosk the night before or morning you're visiting Magic Kingdom and select the attractions you want to go on for the day. The system would then generate all of your group codes/time slots and you would get a list. Perhaps they'll tie in an alert system via RFID to give you a head's up before your time is up.

[/FONT]

Sorry, looks like this posted more than once.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Attempting to connect the dots, I'm going to make a prediction here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]I predict that part of what Jim MacPhee and his "Next Generation Experience" will be to implement queueless waiting on all of the major attractions across the resort. Then they will provide a means by which guests can schedule their activities in the parks ahead of time. So, you might log on to the scheduler from your hotel TV/Interactive Kiosk the night before or morning you're visiting Magic Kingdom and select the attractions you want to go on for the day. The system would then generate all of your group codes/time slots and you would get a list. Perhaps they'll tie in an alert system via RFID to give you a head's up before your time is up. [/FONT]

:eek:

Good thoughts, it's definitely a radical idea and it could work......if it wasn't the average tourist we were talking about :p

But seriously, this sounds interesting

RiversideBunny

I think it might be a more 'local' system if queless waits is what it's about.

For instance, you would walk near the attraction you wanted to go on, like Splash Mountain for example, and the wireless device thingy dodad would assign you a time and then you come back. Sort of like a paperless Fastpass. Sort of like a pager system at a restaurant.

I don't think a guest would be able to schedule an entire day beforehand because:
1. That would not be fun. Having to stick to a tight schedule.
2. If someone misses their time at a certain attraction it could throw the whole schedule off.

This is just my thinking. Just guessing for the fun of it.
Tks.
:)

JCtheparrothead

I can't say much but I am part of the RFID design side of things. If the concept and the deployment end up being a go it will make the rides very "personal".

GrumpyFan

I don't think a guest would be able to schedule an entire day beforehand because:
1. That would not be fun. Having to stick to a tight schedule.
2. If someone misses their time at a certain attraction it could throw the whole schedule off.

This is just my thinking. Just guessing for the fun of it.
Tks.

I might disagree with you on number 1. Many guests DO like planning and scheduling their day at Disney.

Here's how I imagine it would work, and I should add that this is based on patents they filed in the past regarding Fastpass.
It would be a tiered reservation system where guests staying at a Deluxe or DVC might be able to schedule 8-10 attractions for a given day, versus a moderate guest maybe only 6, and a value guest 4 or 5. Also, they wouldn't be able to plan their whole day, and they wouldn't be able to schedule more than one attraction per hour. Or, depending on which resort class they were in, the number per time slot would be restricted. Keep in mind too, that like Fastpass, not all rides would have this, so they couldn't exactly plan everything, but pretty close to it. Also, if part of Disney's reasoning in doing this is to encourage more guest spending, then they will by that respect, only allow so many things to be scheduled.

As for someone missing their time/window, it wouldn't throw off anything because all of their slots are designated for a specific time. If they miss one, they could always ask for a new slot (if available), or just have to face the fact that they missed it. Which of course, will cause some guest complaints. The other issue would be if the ride goes down, and how they handle it. Would they give out or re-assign new time slots for those guests who had them, or would they simply make everyone re-schedule. If this is done electronically, then it's easily resolved via the system and the guest is automatically given a new time. However, that doesn't guarantee that some guests won't get bumped. But then, that's how it currently works too.

Again, this is all just my own speculation, but I can see the groundwork for this being laid out.

cdunbar

I know there is usually a lot of hype around the annual meeting, but usually not much info regarding the parks is announced at the meeting.
Because the meeting is more about the company and all it's projects such as films, parks, toys, etc., etc. instead of just the parks, I assume...

Figment632

I might disagree with you on number 1. Many guests DO like planning and scheduling their day at Disney.

Here's how I imagine it would work, and I should add that this is based on patents they filed in the past regarding Fastpass. It would be a tiered reservation system where guests staying at a Deluxe or DVC might be able to schedule 8-10 attractions for a given day, versus a moderate guest maybe only 6, and a value guest 4 or 5. Also, they wouldn't be able to plan their whole day, and they wouldn't be able to schedule more than one attraction per hour. Or, depending on which resort class they were in, the number per time slot would be restricted. Keep in mind too, that like Fastpass, not all rides would have this, so they couldn't exactly plan everything, but pretty close to it. Also, if part of Disney's reasoning in doing this is to encourage more guest spending, then they will by that respect, only allow so many things to be scheduled.

As for someone missing their time/window, it wouldn't throw off anything because all of their slots are designated for a specific time. If they miss one, they could always ask for a new slot (if available), or just have to face the fact that they missed it. Which of course, will cause some guest complaints. The other issue would be if the ride goes down, and how they handle it. Would they give out or re-assign new time slots for those guests who had them, or would they simply make everyone re-schedule. If this is done electronically, then it's easily resolved via the system and the guest is automatically given a new time. However, that doesn't guarantee that some guests won't get bumped. But then, that's how it currently works too.

Again, this is all just my own speculation, but I can see the groundwork for this being laid out.

So under this system I could only do 8 attractions a day? This would ruin WDW for me!

DisneyLeo18

Because the meeting is more about the company and all it's projects such as films, parks, toys, etc., etc. instead of just the parks, I assume...

From what I can see it's really just about their financials than economic plans than any other part of the company (usually pretty boring unless you hold a high amount of stock in the company).

Not saying they won't discuss anything else, or some of the shareholders might ask a question or 2 regarding the parks, but I don't think it's planned. :wave:

GrumpyFan

So under this system I could only do 8 attractions a day? This would ruin WDW for me!

No, no, no. You would be able to do as many attractions as you wanted, however you could only SCHEDULE (reserve) a time slot for up to 8 in a day or however many determined. You could still ride all the other attractions that don't have a queueless wait or, much like the current Fastpass works, you could walk up to the rides that do have a queueless waiting system and get a pass/time slot just like regular (non-resort) guests. The advantage though, would be for resort guests who are able to reserve a slot ahead of time. Does that make sense?

cdunbar

Whoa, hold the phone. Are we talking an Annual Pass for WDW and DLR? Not that could come in very handy for me this year....
Yeah I'd be all for that, I'm planning to go to DL in July and we aren't staying on site because it's pricey, but if I had an AP that could make a difference...:rolleyes:

Figment632

No, no, no. You would be able to do as many attractions as you wanted, however you could only SCHEDULE (reserve) a time slots for up to 8 in a day or however many determined. You could still ride all the other attractions that don't have a queueless wait or, much like the current Fastpass works, you could walk up to the rides that do have a queueless waiting system and get a pass/time slot just like regular (non-resort) guests. The advantage though, would be for resort guests who are able to reserve a slot ahead of time. Does that make sense?

What happens when they run out of reservations?

GrumpyFan

This article, which is one that comes up if you google 'RFID Disney', seems to list some realisic limitations to using RFID.

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/cs199r/bd-rfid/disneyAgainst.doc

Interesting read, but I don't necessarily agree with all of the issues they presented in that article. There are numerous ways to implement RFID technology that would safeguard both the guest and the company. I've implemented systems where the tag was merely a number or "key" that would access a record in a database where all the information was stored. However, to access the database, you had to have a passcode or be at a system authorized terminal/device. And, depending on the user/application or terminal even, only specific information could be accessed. The article seems to be a couple of years old, which makes me wonder if the person behind it is still at Disney or involved with these kinds of decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom