What did you do?

Sumrdog

I am a little concerned about the marathon. Everything was going along fairly well until about 2 weeks ago. My low back has been hurting me a bit, and today at work, I was helping reposition a super heavy patient and now my pain has gotten so much worse...ugh! It hurts most when I walk. In addition to this, I haven't been getting all my runs in either for various life related reasons, so I only got 4 miles on Sunday and the 11 miserable treadmill miles Friday. I want to do one more long run as I have done only two 15's and an 18...The marathon is 3 weeks away and I feel like I just haven't had enough time to train properly...I am not sure what to do, so anyone with more intelligence and experience who has an opinion, I would love to hear it. My question's are;

Do I rest my back and just hope for the best? Or should I just try to bust out one more long run to make up for only doing 11 miles on Friday? This coming week I actually have 4 days off, so I could also do a few shorter runs like 6-8 miles...I just want to do what would be of the most benefit at this point in my training with the marathon 3 weeks away.

Mentally I am quite stubborn and can endure a large amount of suffering, so I am pretty sure that even if I have to crawl, I will not quit until they physically remove me from the course, but I am hoping that it doesn't come to that and I can finish in an upright position. After this I think I need to accept the fact that I am a solid half marathoner and I need to either quit my job or drop out of my college program if I want to have time to train for a full marathon...

JillC LI

@Sumrdog I wish I had some knowledgeable advice for you but I don't other than it probably isn't wise to do a very long run with an injury. Hopefully if you let it heal, you will be strong enough to run most of the marathon in three weeks and you could walk the balance. I'm no dr though.

As for me, I took advantage of the 60 degree weather today and did 8 miles. I was upset about something so I ran kind of furiously and finished with a 9:45 pace. Cleared my head though.

imagination30

I am a little concerned about the marathon. Everything was going along fairly well until about 2 weeks ago. My low back has been hurting me a bit, and today at work, I was helping reposition a super heavy patient and now my pain has gotten so much worse...ugh! It hurts most when I walk. In addition to this, I haven't been getting all my runs in either for various life related reasons, so I only got 4 miles on Sunday and the 11 miserable treadmill miles Friday. I want to do one more long run as I have done only two 15's and an 18...The marathon is 3 weeks away and I feel like I just haven't had enough time to train properly...I am not sure what to do, so anyone with more intelligence and experience who has an opinion, I would love to hear it. My question's are;

Do I rest my back and just hope for the best? Or should I just try to bust out one more long run to make up for only doing 11 miles on Friday? This coming week I actually have 4 days off, so I could also do a few shorter runs like 6-8 miles...I just want to do what would be of the most benefit at this point in my training with the marathon 3 weeks away.

Mentally I am quite stubborn and can endure a large amount of suffering, so I am pretty sure that even if I have to crawl, I will not quit until they physically remove me from the course, but I am hoping that it doesn't come to that and I can finish in an upright position. After this I think I need to accept the fact that I am a solid half marathoner and I need to either quit my job or drop out of my college program if I want to have time to train for a full marathon...

I have heard when you have a injury , its best to rest , so I would say rest it until the marathon , bc you want to be able to run it , even if you have to jog , you still want to be able to finish the race and enjoy it ... so I would say give your self ample time to do that , and if you feel like you can run , don't do to much to strain it or what not , just at a lite pace , do something to light to get your body ready!

Kristia

I think that is best to rest rather than do more damage. If you can do shorter runs, pain-free then go for that. If even short runs are painful than total rest. I don't know what your goals are for the marathon. Is your goal to just finish or do you have a time goal? In 2011, I was plagued by injuries and life commitments and only got 2 15 mile long runs in. I finished but it did take me 6:45 and I did have to walk quite a bit. Adrenaline goes a long way at the Disney Marathon. That year I didn't start feeling tired till mile 17 (with walk breaks every mile) so I felt I did pretty well with the amount of training I got in!

Sumrdog

I think that is best to rest rather than do more damage. If you can do shorter runs, pain-free then go for that. If even short runs are painful than total rest. I don't know what your goals are for the marathon. Is your goal to just finish or do you have a time goal? In 2011, I was plagued by injuries and life commitments and only got 2 15 mile long runs in. I finished but it did take me 6:45 and I did have to walk quite a bit. Adrenaline goes a long way at the Disney Marathon. That year I didn't start feeling tired till mile 17 (with walk breaks every mile) so I felt I did pretty well with the amount of training I got in!
I initially had a time goal...but at this point I just want to finish. I just have had too much going on...I feel better today and I think you are right adrenaline goes a long way. I will rest another day and then see how I feel Tuesday. I had hoped to better my time from my first marathon but I am going to just focus on finishing in however long it takes. I know it's going to be a super fun trip either way. Thanks for your thoughts.

ChristaH

Sat was 8@7:03, Sun was 18@8:27. Supposed to have been a 10 and 20, but I'll take it. Completely zoned out during the long run, tried doing rhythmic breathing, 3 step inhale, 2 step exhale. Counting steps was kinda peaceful. Time to taper!

I'm a compulsive step counter! It is so calming and really the best indication for me of my pacing.

I have similar questions as @Sumrdog I had planned to do 12 miles yesterday, 13 next Sunday then a 2 week taper to the WDW Half. But I got cut short on my run yesterday because of rain. I ran in spotty rain until the lightening and thunder started. My son had to come rescue me about 5 miles into the run. I came home and rode another hard 30 minutes on the exercise bike just to get a decent amount of cardio endurance in. Now I'm not sure what to do. My longest run so far is 11 miles. My two options are:

1. Stick with my regular Tue-5/Fri-5/Sun-long schedule, try to do somewhere between 12-13 miles next Sunday, call it good and 2 week taper til the Half.
2. Do 12 on Christmas Day, Fri-5, Sun-5 , 13 New Year's Day then have a 9 day taper til the half

My hips are holding up pretty well, so aggrevating them is not too much of a concern. If my goal is really just to finish the Half, does it matter at this point what I do?

Mentally I am quite stubborn and can endure a large amount of suffering,

I'm like that when I run on the road, but not on the TM. Any amount of suffering in addition to the tedium of the treadmill will cause me to hop off and try again another day.

JillC LI

I have similar questions as @Sumrdog I had planned to do 12 miles yesterday, 13 next Sunday then a 2 week taper to the WDW Half. But I got cut short on my run yesterday because of rain. I ran in spotty rain until the lightening and thunder started. My son had to come rescue me about 5 miles into the run. I came home and rode another hard 30 minutes on the exercise bike just to get a decent amount of cardio endurance in. Now I'm not sure what to do. My longest run so far is 11 miles. My two options are:

1. Stick with my regular Tue-5/Fri-5/Sun-long schedule, try to do somewhere between 12-13 miles next Sunday, call it good and 2 week taper til the Half.
2. Do 12 on Christmas Day, Fri-5, Sun-5 , 13 New Year's Day then have a 9 day taper til the half

My hips are holding up pretty well, so aggrevating them is not too much of a concern. If my goal is really just to finish the Half, does it matter at this point what I do?

Your question is a lot easier to answer than Sumrdog's. If your goal is simply to finish the Half, and you have run 11 already, then there is not a doubt in my mind that you will finish the Half without doing another longer run. If it will give you peace of mind to run a bit further before the Half, then I would do 12 this weekend and give yourself the full 2 week taper as scheduled.

Completely zoned out during the long run, tried doing rhythmic breathing, 3 step inhale, 2 step exhale. Counting steps was kinda peaceful. Time to taper!

I read about that and how it can really increase your speed. I tried it once and it felt so unnatural and I couldn't keep it up. Maybe it works better if you are running hard but not when you are running easy? Did you find it difficult at first? If so, did it get easier? Have you seen any results from doing it?

dreamfinder

I read about that and how it can really increase your speed. I tried it once and it felt so unnatural and I couldn't keep it up. Maybe it works better if you are running hard but not when you are running easy? Did you find it difficult at first? If so, did it get easier? Have you seen any results from doing it?

Not so sure about speed. I was looking more to make sure I had no extra stress on my knee that I could avoid. There is a decent article in a recent Runners World that I read recently, and decided to give it a shot since I had nowhere to go for 2 1/2 hours... It was a little awkward for about 1/2 mile, and I did slip up a few times later on, but I got into a good rhythm. I will admit, I'm remarkably loose today and feeling free good. Normally I have a bit more stiffness/soreness. Definitely didn't seem to hurt, but I don't want to declare it a good thing until I tack another 30-40 miles on using it.

Sumrdog

@ChristaH I agree completely with @JillC LI you have got this! If you can do 11 you can do two more.

I am going to do one more long run tomorrow on the indoor track and then begin my taper. My back feels much better and I am going to opt out of lifting heavy patients for a few weeks. I am so excited 17 days until we leave!!!!

Last edited:

ChristaH

@ChristaH I agree completely will @JillC LI you have got this! If you can do 11 you can do two more.

I am going to do one more long run tomorrow on the indoor track and then begin my taper. My back feels much better and I am going to opt out of lifting heavy patients for a few weeks. I am so excited 17 days until we leave!!!!

Everybody says that, but when I finished 11 miles, I could hardly take two more steps, much less run 2 more miles! Maybe race adrenaline or getting a little bit of rest during the congested parts of the course will carry me to the end. One way or the other, I WILL make it to the end. My goal is to make it by running the entire thing, except possibly allowing myself to walk up the overpass at Mile 10, or when I have to walk due to course congestion.

I have only 14 days until we leave. My parents live in the area so we will spend a couple of days with them and then hit WDW on Wednesday!

Kristia

@ChristaH - I totally agree with Jill. If you have made it to 11 miles, you should have no problem doing 13. Races are so much different than training runs. Between adrenaline and just the overall distraction on the course, I think it tricks the body into thinking it is not as hard as a training run. There will definitely be points on the course that will be slower where you can "rest". If you wait in line for photo ops, you could rest there too. Like @JillC LI said, do 12 this weekend and then do your full 2 week taper and you should be good to go!

bethram

@ChristaH - I ran the Princess as my first half a couple years ago and I had only run 10 miles straight one time going into it. The last mile or two of the race was tough, but I still finished with meeting both of my goals - run the whole thing without stopping and finish in less than 2:15. It is possible!

bethram

4.5 miles of hills this morning at 9:38. It was cold and windy with a wind chill of 21. What a difference from yesterday morning when it was in the 50s and today I slipped on a patch of ice from yesterday morning's rain.

JillC LI

4.5 miles of hills this morning at 9:38. It was cold and windy with a wind chill of 21. What a difference from yesterday morning when it was in the 50s and today I slipped on a patch of ice from yesterday morning's rain.

I did my 4.5 miles on the TM this morning instead. :) Hope you didn't hurt yourself when you slipped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom