What did you do?

Mad Stitch

Today I ran the Inaugural Rock 'n Roll Cleveland Half Marathon. I was still feeling pain in my back from my injury last weekend, so I decided I was just going to keep to the right edge of the course, run a slow pace, and take frequent walking breaks. The day started out raining, but it was only a light drizzle that would have felt good once we got going. One of my few dislikes was how crowded the corrals were. There were 8 corrals total and they were released only one minute apart from each other. It made me wonder why they even bothered with wave starts. As we were running through downtown Cleveland a big group a spectators decided they wanted to cross the street and brought the race to a stop for a few seconds. Once they crossed the spectators on the other side of the street started yelling "Why would you do that?" There was also a Mini Marathon (3.5 miles) and when we reached the 3 mile marker they turned towards the finish line, but there were not a lot of people running it. By now the rain had stopped and the rest of the race was overcast with a nice cool breeze. This was my first race where I never got bored. A lot of the race was run through the old historic neighborhoods of Cleveland giving me a lot to look at, the bands were nicely spaced apart, the water stops were amply stocked, medics were constantly riding bikes back and fourth, and there was a lot of security. By the time I knew it I heard someone yell "only 4 more to go" and I realized I was in mile 9. My back was feeling good so I picked up may pace and really pushed the last 4 miles to make up some time. I thought this race was going to be a disaster, but when I crossed the finish line and looked at my watch I realized my time wasn't all that bad. I have done worse in the past. I really enjoyed this race and would do it again. I know @Ariel484 likes to do her detailed race reports with a lot of pics, so I'll let her post a pic of the medal.

Last edited:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
20 mile Saturday to complete a 40+ mile week. Very excited that I have no fatigued today and I truly think all that gym and pool work has helped me. Glad to see things paying off. My training partner on Saturdays had to bail at 10 since he wasnt feeling well. It was 70 at start and 80 at finish. I consumed 60oz of fluid in 4hours. Needless to say, I was a sweating machine. Nutrition and fluids all planned well.

Lucky for me, I still have a month of building till I taper. :D

Kristia

@JillC LI - Awwww that is so nice!

Today was a two part day! First part....Dan and I ran at our alma mater Stockton College. This weekend was homecoming weekend and one of the events was a 5k to raise money for a scholarship fund in the name of the former athletic director. He was an Olympic runner in the 50's and passed away a couple years ago. I ran my best 5k! I didn't get my official time but my Garmin was 29:30. I got third in my age group (it was a small race, there may have only been 3 off us lol) and was given a bag and a nice metal water bottle. I also received a coupon good for $10 off next year's race. It was a good deal for a race. $25 and got a nice tech shirt and was mailed a tax deductible receipt. I really liked the course as it was a mixed trail and road race.

We needed to do 16 miles for our long run so after a few hours of rest at home after the 5k, we did 13 miles at home. That was uneventful but a little tough since we both pushed kind of hard at the race this morning.

bethram

In mourning of not being at WDW for ToT this weekend I took today off - I had a sub lined up for four school days and canceled all but today. I got DH to take the kids to school this morning and left for a long run shortly after they did. I didn't have a goal distance in mind when I left the house, just a longer run than normal. I ran just shy of 6.1 miles at 8:57 pace.

I didn't run all weekend, but DH and I went mountain biking Friday afternoon while his parents had the kids. I got to finally got to ride part of the trail I've never had time to before. We went about 5.4 miles including just over a mile warming up and cooling off on a paved path.

I might go mountain biking by myself later this morning but it rained all night so I'm not sure if the trails are open.

Ariel484

Glad you had a good race @Mad Stitch ...hope the back feels better soon.

So I also ran the RNR Cleveland Half. I really wasn't looking forward to it at all (I'd go so far as to say I was dreading it) but it ended up being okay. In the days leading up to the race there was a 60-70% chance of thunderstorms in the forecast but like Steve said we only ended up with light drizzle right at the beginning. It was a bit humid out but otherwise I'd say the conditions were pretty much ideal - cool breeze and overcast for the most part, and when it wasn't we were mostly shaded by buildings. Despite this I saw that one guy had collapsed during mile 12 (lots of people around him helping out) and 2-3 ambulances pulling off the course, so I hope people were okay.

I agree that the corrals were very crowded - I remember reading @Kristia race report about the Philly half and how there were 20+ corrals...at this race there were 8. I was in 4 and I couldn't even enter my corral until the first 3 waves had already gone, it was so crowded. Also had a decent amount of spectators cross the course...not cool. And I'm with Steve, I didn't get bored during this race either. They packed in a lot of Cleveland landmarks (Browns Stadium, the Rock Hall, Ohio City, Tremont, West Side Market, Progressive Field, etc.). A big part of it for me, too, was that there were a lot of portions where we'd turn onto a street and then make another turn about 0.1 miles later. So the turns weren't too quick but we didn't have a ton of long, straight shots of road either, if that makes any sense. Somehow that made things more interesting for me.

The water stops and bands were great and there were lots of cheerleading squads and good spectator support. But the HILLS...good lord, the hills. They must have found every hill in the Cleveland area and put them all in this course. The first 4 miles were pretty hilly, but the killer - the longest and steepest one - was in Tremont right after mile marker 10. Cruel. Also, I turned my Garmin on that morning and got a low battery warning, despite the fact that I was sure I'd charged it (might have to call Garmin this weekend as I only bought the thing in November :grumpy:) and it ended up dying around mile 9.25, so that sucked. It really made me realize how much I rely on that thing.

Finish area was good - water, chocolate milk, bagels, bananas and bottles of Gatorade for all. Plus a free beer, which I passed on (Michelob light in a can, yuck!). The best thing they gave out were small towels dunked in ice water. I've never seen that at a finish area of a race and it was heavenly. Right after the race yesterday I said I thought this was a one-and-done for me (mostly because of the hills) but now that I'm a bit removed from it I think I'd try again, and throw some hill work into my training plan. I definitely liked it better than the Cleveland Half marathon I've done for the past few years in May.

photo.PNG

My mom, aunt and uncle walked the Mini Marathon and I think they all liked it - they were happy to get finisher medals. I think they finished about an hour before I did.

This weekend as I dreaded doing this race I thought about this past year and realized that my last few races - everything that came after marathon weekend in January - have been pretty miserable, so I think I need to take a break from racing* and run just to run for awhile.

*Note that backing off on racing does not include Disney races. :D

Last edited:

ejsanta13

Only 2 weeks left until the Baystate half, so this weekend was my last "longer" training run. Did just under 8 miles @ an 8:50 pace. Some small hills, but the course is flat so no need for hill training. Feeling confident as this will be my longest race (2nd overall race. did a 5k in june). Training has gone well, goals are in place, and have a couple of us wanting to run the same pace, now just need the weather to cooperate....

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Finished Oil Creek 100 in 26:19:?? (Unofficial).
Punishing course of rocks, rocks, rocks, and tree roots, long steep climbs and switch backs, and quad destroying descents.
I ran fast and hard, but nausea started very early at mile 15 and got worse and never stopped until after I finished.
By mile 75 i was reduced to the ultra shuffle, with the occasional sprint downhill, but just made the nausea worse. Ran hard into the finish that last few miles which was punishment, crossed the finish and did 23 push ups with one of my Animal Camp teammates.
More raced details to follow.

Coming into AS#2, about mile 46
image.jpg

Reaching the top of one of the many climbs
image.jpg

23 push ups with my Animal Camp teammate who crewed all day and night while the RD grabs my timing chip
image.jpg

Coming over to give my wife a big smelly hug and kiss
image.jpg

100 mile number 3 in the bank
image.jpg

JillC LI

Punishing course of rocks, rocks, rocks, and tree roots, long steep climbs and switch backs, and quad destroying descents.
I ran fast and hard, but nausea started very early at mile 15 and got worse and never stopped until after I finished.
By mile 75 i was reduced to the ultra shuffle, with the occasional sprint downhill, but just made the nausea worse. Ran hard into the finish that last few miles which was punishment, crossed the finish and did 23 push ups with one of my Animal Camp teammates.

Coming into AS#2, about mile 46
View attachment 34793

Reaching the top of one of the many climbs
View attachment 34795

23 push ups with my Animal Camp teammate who crewed all day and night while the RD grabs my timing chip
View attachment 34796

Coming over to give my wife a big smelly hug and kiss
View attachment 34797

100 mile number 3 in the bank
View attachment 34798

Like I said on fb, simply amazing, Nick. You're an inspiration.

joel_maxwell

Nice @Donald Duck... very nice work. 2 things besides the obvious another buckle congrats, 1) yall have quite a few leaves on the ground not so much down here yet 2) AS#2 at mile 46, that is a huge spread between AS's. Not that it would bother anyone carrying a large bladder or 2 bottles, but that is a big distance unless that was a AS with cargo, and there was smaller stations with fluids and food in between.

Nice work again.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Nice @Donald Duck... very nice work. 2 things besides the obvious another buckle congrats, 1) yall have quite a few leaves on the ground not so much down here yet 2) AS#2 at mile 46, that is a huge spread between AS's. Not that it would bother anyone carrying a large bladder or 2 bottles, but that is a big distance unless that was a AS with cargo, and there was smaller stations with fluids and food in between.

Nice work again.
Fluid stations in between, but it was a 31 mile loop with a 7 mile loop at the end. AS 1, 2, 3, and HQ were about 8 miles apart, but...this course was a bit funny. According to everyone and a smirk from the RD, the distances were in "mile-ish." We swear this course was about 120 miles, no bulls--t.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Nice work again.
And yes, the leaves. The wet and slippery leaves covering the jagged rocks and and even slippery-er roots. It was awful. Only fell once though.

bethram

Congratulations Nick!

joel_maxwell

Fluid stations in between, but it was a 31 mile loop with a 7 mile loop at the end. AS 1, 2, 3, and HQ were about 8 miles apart, but...this course was a bit funny. According to everyone and a smirk from the RD, the distances were in "mile-ish." We swear this course was about 120 miles, no bulls--t.
That is like our local guy David Tosch. His courses are always over. The 50k in Nov Im training for, the loops are about 16 a piece. So, always over train for his courses.

ChristaH

Just got back from a five-day cruise! Awesome time of fun and relaxing with some girl friends. But I was up and in the gym at 6:30 every morning working out. And ran 5 miles on the treadmill Sunday morning. Nothing hurt. Nothing was sore. It was the first time I really thought I could do this!

dreamfinder

Nothing since last Weds except for the ToT10Miler, plus way to much walking around the parks. 1:18 ish for the ToT, was hoping for a 1:10, but no way to prepare for the heat/humidity unless you run in it more often I guess.

joel_maxwell

Nothing since last Weds except for the ToT10Miler, plus way to much walking around the parks. 1:18 ish for the ToT, was hoping for a 1:10, but no way to prepare for the heat/humidity unless you run in it more often I guess.
Sub 8 minute mile in that heat and humidity is fine in my book. Nice job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom