What did you do?

Kristia

@JillC LI - The mud was a little cool but not as cool as I would have liked! Luckily it was pretty overcast so the temperature wasn't too bad. The humidity has returned today with a vengeance!
@bethram - Good job on the PR and congrats to your daughter and husband! Stinks about your ankle. Hopefully it will heal quickly!

dreamfinder

LOL. But what about sweat in your eyes. Does that bother the contacts?

Never run with my actual glasses. I've actually done a few runs where I took off my glasses and couldn't see squat. Sunglasses, obviously are a must. A nice 3" basketball style wristband, and a Bondiband headband (even though I have short hair now) do wonders to help keeping sweat out of the eyes & contacts. (And goodness do I ever sweat....)

Sat heat & humidity too a break, so it was a 7mi outdoor run. First half uphill, second half was rollers heading downhill. My watch was dead, so I left it at home and have no idea on my pace, I think 8-9min per. Sun was 12@8, followed 15-20 mins of core and such.

Like seeing PRs, always a good thing to have people get. Keep up the good work.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I was going to start a new thread a few days ago.....I was lacking motivation. I really was spinning my wheels since the marathon, and felt like I had accomplished my major goal. Life was catching up to me lately, and I was in a funk.

I decided not to do that, and to do something to change my mindset. I registered for Tough Mudder, got my fall racing schedule set (including 3 races in September), and finally got out for a long run

I put in 8 miles yesterday, the last part in the heat and humidity. I felt good, but I could tell my legs haven't done anything more than a few miles lately.

That will change.

Ariel484

@Kristia - Love the mud run picture! Great job toughing out your long run.
@bethram - Awesome 10K time, congrats on the PR and the AG result! Congrats to your husband and daughter too...I hope the foot feels better.
@Fievel - We've all been there before...the important thing is that you're getting back out there. Way to go...changing your mindset and signing up for races is a great idea.

And on that note...

This weekend I decided to drop down to the half for the fall marathon I signed up for. There were a few reasons behind the decision and they all contributed to me starting to really not like running anymore. I feel relieved to have made the decision, but I also feel like a quitter. :(

This morning was lifting + Ab Ripper X, tomorrow is Day 1 of training for the half.

Kristia

@Fievel - Welcome back! I think it is pretty common after having done that type of distance to want to just lay off it for awhile . Sometimes you just need to take a break. I know with me, if I don't sign up for a race, I am more likely to slack.

@Ariel484 - I would hardly call you a quitter. ;) No sense doing something that you don't enjoy. Although, I am finding it hard to enjoy long runs...make that any runs....in this heat and humidity. I know it certainly hasn't helped my mental state. I really don't enjoy training for a marathon. It is so hard to make the time and everything has to take a backseat to training and I feel like I am not getting enough of the household stuff done. It really stresses me out.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Good work everyone this weekend. @Fievel welcome back. I was starting to wonder about you. Good job on registering. Best way to get back into it.

3 miles this morning in a No Watch Monday. Pretty stove up from the weekend activities. I was going to do 5+, but not in the cards today. I just never give myself lazy time (and Im fine with that).

Mr mom

11.8 miles in the heat, well our version of heat..lol 90 with humidity. The hard part of the day was doing the brakes on my wife's car.

LindsayLoves

This weekend I decided to drop down to the half for the fall marathon I signed up for. There were a few reasons behind the decision and they all contributed to me starting to really not like running anymore. I feel relieved to have made the decision, but I also feel like a quitter. :(

This morning was lifting + Ab Ripper X, tomorrow is Day 1 of training for the half.

You are most definitely not a quitter. Just by changing the distance you are still a runner who is in training for a race, albeit a shorter one. I think I went through something similar mindset wise a few weeks back which is why I decided to make this year the year of the half and focus on a spring AND fall fulls for next year. The insane heat has only made me

@bethram - awesome job in the 10k. I have a10k this Sunday that I am not as prepared for as I would like to be so despite the flat course I doubt a PR is in my cards. Speed/tempo training hasn't been in the cards the past few weeks with the insane temps.

bethram

You are definitely not a quitter! You figured out that something was impacting your enjoyment/love of running and you fixed it. That's important if you want to continue running after the race, it does not make you a quitter.

bethram

I didn't do anything today, after limping around all day yesterday and having trouble falling asleep last night I decided not to push myself today. I did see the massage therapist at my chiropractor this morning and she did not feel anything wrong with my heel/ankle or feel anything that she felt like she could help with. She did recommend that I submerge my entire foot in ice for 20 minutes several times a day saying that icing just the spot that hurts may not ice everything that needs it since there are so many small muscles in your foot that are involved in walking/running. Even though she didn't feel like she did anything it has been easier to walk since she worked on it for a few minutes.

I probably will not run tomorrow, but I will probably do my next Tapout workout which is Leg and Back.

Texas84

Do I get cross-train credit if I danced techno and vallenato for three hours? Fun night but I'm wiped out

Hal Higdon says no sideways motion or sudden starts and stops. ;)

And his plan says I'm supposed to cross-train on Sunday so I dusted the spider webs off the trusty Trek and got in 6 miles. Didn't want to to overdo it. Felt great. Then cut the jungle grass. Then re-arranged the home office. Big potential for injury there but I survived.

JillC LI

As the others have said, you are not a quitter. You are a smart runner. If a marathon is not what your heart wants right now, and training for one is making you feel jaded with your running, then of course do whatever will continue to spark your enjoyment of running. What's important is that you are running!

Summer Steamer 10k this morning, it was the second of four races in the Locomotive Series. DD10 ran the 5k and earned a medal for third place in the girls 10 and under division. I finished in 53:52 which is a PR for me. DH ran his first 10k in 1:11 which he was happy with. We need to submit our times to RunDisney for better coral placement for ToT.

Great job to everyone and congrats on the PR! I hope the foot feels better.

I have actually had a strange pain in my outer lower leg, just above the ankle, for the past two days. Tendon pull or strain perhaps? I think I'm going to total up the mileage on my running shoes when I get home. When I start getting weird aches and pains from the knees down, it's usually a sign that it's time for new shoes. We shall see. If I'm close to 500 miles, I'm just gonna swap out the shoes. Fortunately, I have an extra new pair at home already since I ordered 3 pairs last time I had a discount code.

Count me in for despising this heat and humidity in the NE.

Ariel484

@Kristia @LindsayLoves @bethram @JillC LI - Thank you so much for the nice posts...it makes me feel a lot better! :) Instead of being disappointed with myself I'm hoping to work my a-- off this summer in hopes that I'll earn a nice PR at that half. I'm choosing to think of it as a redemption opportunity from my not-so-great spring half. :)

@bethram - glad the massage helped...I did the ice bucket thing in college once. Not fun, but it did help.
@JillC LI - I just swapped my shoes out last week after feeling some weird aches (I too have stockpiled them - I had my new pair from a Black Friday sale in November and have 2 more pairs waiting that I got on clearance from RunningWarehouse.com in the spring :D). Hopefully that's all it is for you!

LindsayLoves

Right now 94 feels like 97. I just ran home from work which was around 5 miles at a 10/mile pace. I brought my hydration belt and used ALL three of my flasks of water/Nuun (I didn't drink it all, some of the water was used to cool my body off) but I am glad I made it on this new to me route. I have plans of making it a regular Friday run which will end at my regular happy hour, once it cools down a bit and I get back up to speed it should take me around the same amount of time as taking the subway. :D

Keep cool and safe folks!

fmingo36

I was going to start a new thread a few days ago.....I was lacking motivation. I really was spinning my wheels since the marathon, and felt like I had accomplished my major goal. Life was catching up to me lately, and I was in a funk.

I decided not to do that, and to do something to change my mindset. I registered for Tough Mudder, got my fall racing schedule set (including 3 races in September), and finally got out for a long run

I put in 8 miles yesterday, the last part in the heat and humidity. I felt good, but I could tell my legs haven't done anything more than a few miles lately.

Brad-I know how you feel. I've been in a "fitness funk" for almost 6 months. No running, yoga, weights, heck I was even MIA on this board for a while. I actually quit the gym back in February. It just seemed like the whole training thing took over my life and I was becoming very anxious about getting my workouts in. I just had to chill for a while.
Now I'm back in business. Trying to get in 3 runs a week, rejoined the gym, and have signed up for a few races in the fall.

Welcome back and good job on the 8 miles!

I've been gun shy to run outside again after hurting my knee on my first go. So I'm still trucking along on the treadmill. I do intend to re-try outdoor running, though. Anyway, today I did 3.1 mi at 40:40. I'm pretty proud of that time because I did 3.1 on Saturday with a time of 44:00 (course I also weight trained that day but shhh I'll take the improvement regardless). I run my first 5k race on August 4th!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom