What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I think that sounds like a great plan. Something new to keep you motivated and time to let the knee heal completely.

As for running legs not equalling biking legs, I found that out myself last Fall when I was cross-training for that 5K by using the stationary bike 2x/week. Give it a few weeks and you'll be pleasantly surprised how much speed and endurance you'll pick up on the bike.
Im very excited about that Jill. I think it will develop a lot of leg muscles that would have gone neglected unless something else worked them. WOW. My quads arent as strong as they use to be when I rode more consistently.

One thing though, I must get a more comfortable saddle. Holy cow. My bottom was not feeling good after 25 minutes. It is the original saddle to the bike that was purchased in 1994. :eek:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Off day from running, so I went biking. In efforts to become a better runner, I am cross training. 30 minutes of riding at an average of 10mph.

With that said, I think I might take a year off the distance running (ToT excluded) and look for a new adventure in early 2013 of sprint triathlons. Im very excited about this and have wanted to do this for a little over a year now. I think the timing is right.

I found out this morning that strong running legs dont equate for strong biking legs.

We've just started cycling a lot, and it is surprising how it feels so different on the legs. We are trying to mix up the running with the cycling. I think its a great combo.

PS. The 305 is great for attaching to a bike! (if you haven't already tried it)

joel_maxwell

We've just started cycling a lot, and it is surprising how it feels so different on the legs. We are trying to mix up the running with the cycling. I think its a great combo.

PS. The 305 is great for attaching to a bike! (if you haven't already tried it)
Interesting. I havent attached it yet, I still wear it because Im going to start running and biking together. Probably do the bike first and then dismount at the house, followed by a run on some days.

My doctor told me that biking is a great way to strengthen the IT band and stretch out all the muscles. Im down with that. :D

I just need to see if I like it, then get a real road bike. Used of course. Im on an old mtn bike right now and it puts me in anything but an aerodynamic position. I wouldnt mind a used/well used road bike.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting. I havent attached it yet, I still wear it because Im going to start running and biking together. Probably do the bike first and then dismount at the house, followed by a run on some days.

My doctor told me that biking is a great way to strengthen the IT band and stretch out all the muscles. Im down with that. :D

I just need to see if I like it, then get a real road bike. Used of course. Im on an old mtn bike right now and it puts me in anything but an aerodynamic position. I wouldnt mind a used/well used road bike.

I've got this
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Bicycle-Mount-Kit

It lets you keep the strap on the 305, so you can switch from wrist to bike in seconds. I much prefer having it on the bike when I'm cycling.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just under 30 miles this morning at 9:00 pace.

30 tomorrow.

40-45 on Friday.

Tough mental runs lately. Time to get my s--t together and MTFU; 100 miler in 70 days and a technical 50k the week after. Run hard or go home.

Stone IPAs now after baking brownies for the wife.

Cheers folks.

Kristia

Off day from running, so I went biking. In efforts to become a better runner, I am cross training. 30 minutes of riding at an average of 10mph.

With that said, I think I might take a year off the distance running (ToT excluded) and look for a new adventure in early 2013 of sprint triathlons. Im very excited about this and have wanted to do this for a little over a year now. I think the timing is right.

I found out this morning that strong running legs dont equate for strong biking legs.

I will be interested in hearing how your sprint triathlons go! They sound fun but I am not a great swimmer. I may start biking again though. I did it a lot last year with my knee injury and I didn't lose too much running stamina even though I was out of it for a few months. I really need to cross-train but it is so tough to find extra time! Good luck with your new endeavour!

joel_maxwell

I've got this
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Bicycle-Mount-Kit

It lets you keep the strap on the 305, so you can switch from wrist to bike in seconds. I much prefer having it on the bike when I'm cycling.
Yep, if this venture works out, Ill have to get something like this.dont want to have to take my hands off the bars to look at a watch to see mileage, stats etc.

That. Is. AWSOME!!! The more difficult, the better. Great job tackling the humidity!
I concur. Bring it on mother nature.

I will be interested in hearing how your sprint triathlons go! They sound fun but I am not a great swimmer. I may start biking again though. I did it a lot last year with my knee injury and I didn't lose too much running stamina even though I was out of it for a few months. I really need to cross-train but it is so tough to find extra time! Good luck with your new endeavour!
Im excited. I think it will be something fun to try. I know that i can run, I have been on/off a bike for years and ridden my fair share of off road biking (the road thing will be new, but not a shock) and all I need to really "learn" is the proper way to swim. Im one of those types that if I am going to do something, I must do it properly and well. It is engrained in my DNA. No half here.

I talked my wife into joining the Y again. 1 step closer to having a pool to swim in. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Only 23 miles today. Fully geared and with new nutrition.

9:30 pace on the way out.

6:30 pace on the return. Holy crap, I'm going to feel it tomorrow.

Building on speed and ultra distance in my attempt to sub 20hrs in August at BoB100.

40 miles tomorrow.

"I don't always run fast, but when I do, I prefer to haul a--. Run hard my friends."

GoofyRacer11

Thanks everyone!

Today I did a few weight lifting exercises. Afterwards
I completed the Insanity Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs
workout. This exercise routine is helping me to become
a much better athlete with the bonus of getting ripped.

Later Days!

JillC LI

Just finished 5.5 miles on the treadmill.

Happy National Running Day! :wave:

Wow, that's one of your longer TM runs. Hope you had something fun on tv to keep you distracted! :)

Just under 30 miles this morning at 9:00 pace.

30 tomorrow.

40-45 on Friday.

Tough mental runs lately. Time to get my s--t together and MTFU; 100 miler in 70 days and a technical 50k the week after. Run hard or go home.

Stone IPAs now after baking brownies for the wife.

Cheers folks.

He bakes too? :lol:

And wow on the 6:30 return pace today! Wow.

Kristia

Only 23 miles today. Fully geared and with new nutrition.

9:30 pace on the way out.

6:30 pace on the return. Holy crap, I'm going to feel it tomorrow.

Building on speed and ultra distance in my attempt to sub 20hrs in August at BoB100.

40 miles tomorrow.

"I don't always run fast, but when I do, I prefer to haul a--. Run hard my friends."

ONLY 23 miles...:lol:
6:30 :sohappy: What an awesome pace. I can't even do that in my dreams! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom