What did you do?

scorp111

Yes, that's the place! I vividly remember the totem poles.

I may not have age or speed on my side but I definitely have the best support network of cheerleaders! :sohappy: Thanks guys.

I did my last pre-race run this morning - 5 miles easy pace to stay loose. I can't believe I'm actually a little nervous. Not about finishing, of course, or even about winning, but about whether I will run the best race I am capable of running without starting out too fast or too slow, and to see what I am really capable of at this distance. I've worked hard these past 11 weeks and it's time for the payoff!

You are going to go big!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yes, that's the place! I vividly remember the totem poles.

I may not have age or speed on my side but I definitely have the best support network of cheerleaders! :sohappy: Thanks guys.

I did my last pre-race run this morning - 5 miles easy pace to stay loose. I can't believe I'm actually a little nervous. Not about finishing, of course, or even about winning, but about whether I will run the best race I am capable of running without starting out too fast or too slow, and to see what I am really capable of at this distance. I've worked hard these past 11 weeks and it's time for the payoff!
Good luck. While Im running those trails at Ruffner, Ill think about you guys up in the NY. :wave:

You are going to go big!!
*what Steve said*

joel_maxwell

Rest day today. Race day tomorrow. Sub-27:50 here I come! (i.e., sub-9 min/mile)
Good Luck Jill. Godspeed!

Rest Day here too. Ill share something encouraging. There are only 90 participants in the run for me. Nissan Xterra is having an event at Oak mtn across the city. Plus, this is an inaugural event. I applaud them for the 90 turn out.

With that said, I think i might have a chance in placing in my age group. I know that there are only 90 people, but this might be a once in a lifetime to place. :lol: We will see. Last thing I want to do it get stupid and hurt myself, but, if I get 5,6 or 7 miles into it and I feel really good, I might really try to place well.

For all I know there could be some super trail runners in the 30-35 age group. Ill report tomorrow.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Best of luck to Jill!!!

20.53 mi yesterday @ 9.30 pace.
20.66 mi this morning, same pace. It was supposed to be 30 miles, but I'm saving that for tomorrow...hoping the wind dies down.

Lots and lots of pain, and the strong winds today just added to it...
"If it's not painful, sign me up for something that is!" (quote from a fellow ultrarunner out in PA.)

I'm still keeping up my 120+ mile weeks, but I'll be pulling back starting next week, going down to about 100-110 miles/week.

WDW Goofy Challenge is coming up soon and my next 100 miler will be here before I know it (March).

Coryna and Dave, I hope you both will be watching my broken body crawl across the finish-line in March :D

Cheers folks!

joel_maxwell

Best of luck to Jill!!!

20.66 mi this morning, same pace. It was supposed to be 30 miles, but I'm saving that for tomorrow...hoping the wind dies down.

"If it's not painful, sign me up for something that is!" (quote from a fellow ultrarunner out in PA.)

I'm still keeping up my 120+ mile weeks, but I'll be pulling back starting next week, going down to about 100-110 miles/week.

WDW Goofy Challenge is coming up soon and my next 100 miler will be here before I know it (March).

Coryna and Dave, I hope you both will be watching my broken body crawl across the finish-line in March :D

Cheers folks!
Love this!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Love this!

Yes sir! This cat is the founder of The Animal Camp ultrarunning club and ran the NJ Ultra with me this past March...as a training run for the McNaughton 200 miler he did in 67 hours, just a few weeks after...yeah he's amazing.
I've only got a few members in my fledgling ultrarunning group: the Irascible B-----d Ultrarunners! (or the IBUs, beer pun).

scorp111

Good Luck Jill and Joel in your races - Trust your training and I am sure you will do well!

Nick - All the best on your 30 tomorrow - Hope it delivers what you want!

Everyone else- good training this weekend!

20 for me in the morning, my last 20 before the full in 3 weeks. I am just going to take it easy and get the miles in.:)

Bought some more Bodyglide and a reflective vest today:lol:

joel_maxwell

Good Luck Jill and Joel in your races - Trust your training and I am sure you will do well!

Nick - All the best on your 30 tomorrow - Hope it delivers what you want!

Everyone else- good training this weekend!

20 for me in the morning, my last 20 before the full in 3 weeks. I am just going to take it easy and get the miles in.:)

Bought some more Bodyglide and a reflective vest today:lol:
Yes, Nick good luck with the 30

Steve, kick *ss on the 20. Smart thinking on the vest. I dont have a vest, just a firefly from RoadID. Probably need a vest too.

Thanks, as usual, Ill report tomorrow and everyone else do that same! :wave:

JillC LI

Race Report

Soooooooo,
Goal Finish Time: 27:50 min
Actual Finish Time:
26:52 min !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy:

I finished a whole minute ahead of my goal! Oh, yes, my son did beat me with a time of 25:22 min, as I expected he would, so he was thrilled to win the Carvel sundae, but I couldn't be happier with my performance.

My average race pace was 8:39 although I know it was actually sub 8:30 for the first 2 miles and then a bit slower for the last mile.

Having never raced for speed, I found it interesting how it affected me. In the final miles of the marathon, I could barely move my legs but my lungs felt fine. In the final mile of this 5K at my top speed, my legs had more juice, but my lungs felt like they were going to explode and there was no way of I could in enough air to make my legs move any faster.

Interestingly, if I had finished with this time last year, I would have won first place in my age group, but this year there were some more speed demons in my age group so I placed 7th in it. Alas no medal to remember my accomplishment today but I'll never forget. Overall I finished 155th out of 508 runners. I am so psyched and proud of myself. Thanks for all the support guys.

Oh, and I don't know if this is true but when they were announcing the winners of the 10K race that took place at the same time, the winner was a 60 year old woman who ran a 39+ min race, and they said it was a World Record for her age. I have to look into that. It would be cool to have that happen in my own little town knowing that I was probably standing just feet away from her at the Start Line.

scorp111

Soooooooo,
Actual Finish Time:

I finished a whole minute ahead of my goal! Oh, yes, my son did beat me with a time of 25:22 min, as I expected he would, so he was thrilled to win the Carvel sundae, but I couldn't be happier with my performance.

My average race pace was 8:39 although I know it was actually sub 8:30 for the first 2 miles and then a bit slower for the last mile.

Having never raced for speed, I found it interesting how it affected me. In the final miles of the marathon, I could barely move my legs but my lungs felt fine. In the final mile of this 5K at my top speed, my legs had more juice, but my lungs felt like they were going to explode and there was no way of I could in enough air to make my legs move any faster.

Interestingly, if I had finished with this time last year, I would have won first place in my age group, but this year there were some more speed demons in my age group so I placed 7th in it. Alas no medal to remember my accomplishment today but I'll never forget. Overall I finished 155th out of 508 runners. I am so psyched and proud of myself. Thanks for all the support guys.

Oh, and I don't know if this is true but when they were announcing the winners of the 10K race that took place at the same time, the winner was a 60 year old woman who ran a 39+ min race, and they said it was a World Record for her age. I have to look into that. It would be cool to have that happen in my own little town knowing that I was probably standing just feet away from her at the Start Line.

Great job Jill - You now have a faster 5K time than me! Mine is 27:09 last January, although I hope to work on that once I get this pesky marathon out of the way :)

Did 20 miles @10:43 today. Actually a minute slower than my 20 miler five weeks ago, but it is done. The first 15 were at 10:06 pace, but I finished poorly. I didn't hydrate well enough for this distance. I carried my handheld, and planned to stop at a store or two to refill. Somehow I ended up in a stretch with nothing. In fact, I only had my 22 oz handheld for the first 16.2 miles :( Poor Planning on my part. This also meant when I bought the Gatorade, I drank too much too fast, and that didn't make the finish any easier. Oh well, that won't be a problem on race day. 3 weeks to go, and my longest run left is a 12 miler next weekend.:sohappy:

fmingo36

Best of luck to Jill!!!

Cheers folks!

I'll be there and you're gonna do great!

fmingo36

Soooooooo,
Actual Finish Time:

AWESOME Jill! Congrats :sohappy:

fmingo36

Haven't been doing much running lately. Still hitting the gym for my weights/yoga/and pilates classes 5 or 6 times a week though. But couldn't help but get in a 3 mile run today. After taking my yoga class this morning, I decided to run home. It GORGEOUS weather out there today.
ENJOY!

joel_maxwell

Soooooooo,
Actual Finish Time:

AWESOME. congrats on the time and all your hard work!!!

I know the feeling of no lungs and all legs, and all lungs and no legs. Very weird feeling isnt it.

Forgot to post this post-race photo with my son. I think it may come out sideways but I don't know how to turn it. I'll be lucky if I can actually figure out how to post it at all!

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=1375&pictureid=20670
Great pic. :D Carvel sundae here we come.

joel_maxwell

Ruffner Mtn Report:

Temp was great at 47ish at start. There were 115ish runners. I was about to head to the start and wanted to power up the Garmin. That was a no go. It wouldnt turn on. I was crushed. All I wanted was to map this event with all the elevation changes and stats. Luckily, I ran with a friend the entire time. We were within 10 feet of each other for the entire race. He is going to send me his garmin stats/splits/google earth file.

I will say that my extreme hill training was still no comparison to the trails super vertical sections. The only place it paid off was in the last mile. That is the most important to me. I was able to get on the last trail (a 1 out of 4 difficulty) and run about an 8 minute pace. I smoked it. I finished strong... about 30 seconds faster than my friend.

Ill post more stats later, but my unofficial finish time was 2:16:33. Ill take it considering the guy who won it ran it in 1:50:00 and a University of Alabama cross country girl ran it in 2:06:00.

Here are some fun pics. Awesome bling. Hand made. So.... environmental. :lol:

Finisher_Ruffner.jpg

Finisher_Ruffner_Medal.jpg

Texas84

Man, that Ruffner medal is hard-core! Congrats!

Personal record distance this AM, 17 miles. You know you're running too much when you think, "4 miles, home stretch." Beautiful morning for running. 40F at start no wind until the sun came up. Bad head wind for the last mile. Really needed that. :dazzle:

Am I ready for 26.2 in January? Uh, no. Felt good at finish but the legs were gone.

Did 4 miles Thursday AM and a cold front moved in on mile 4. I got drenched and couldn't see a thing. But felt like I accomplished something. :D

GoofyRacer11

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been
busy with school and I just got a new job. I ran
18 miles this morning at an 8:30 minute mile pace
and I felt fine the entire run. It was about 50 degrees
when I was running, but the bad part was the big gusts
of wind. Next weekend I am running the Fall Classic half-
marathon, but I am doing 16 all together. I will be doing a
20 miler the first weekend in December and it will be my last
before Disney. Hope everyone's training is going well!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom