What did you do?

Mr mom

11 miles this am at 5:30. I just love running in the dark and watching the sun rise and the earth wake.

11.06 @ 9:36 pace
1,353 calories burned :sohappy:
Vertical elevation change: 991 feet
Ascended:1646 feet
Descended: 1655 feet

Im still suffering from some weird pain in my heels from last weekend long run on the trails. I think it is arthritis. Hopefully that is all. I dont foresee it being that horrible Achilles injury from last year that sidelined me for 2 weeks. It is in both heels, so I think it is from the terrain I wasnt use too. *fingers crossed*

To steal a line from Nick, Cheers Folks. Im drinking some beers now.

The pounding for a longer duration may have caused the heel pain, watch for any blood in your urine, heel strike hematuria, not serious but it will mean that you have to watch your stride, ie how you pound down when you run and also look at the cushioning in your footwear.

scorp111

20 miles this morning @ 10:39 per mile.

Glad that it's over! Stomach troubles throughout led to 4 bathroom stops. All I can say is that one might look strange walking into Home Depot 8 minutes after they open in running gear and carrying a handheld water bottle :)
It wasn't easy, but I didn't think it would be. Overall, I am good with it. I only have two more runs over 15 miles in my first full marathon training cyle. An 18 miler next weekend, and then another 20 miler on November 12th, so that makes it good. I could have done another 6.2 today. It would have been slower, but I would have finished. I still have 8 weeks before the race, so I am starting to feel like I am really going to become a marathoner.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The pounding for a longer duration may have caused the heel pain, watch for any blood in your urine, heel strike hematuria, not serious but it will mean that you have to watch your stride, ie how you pound down when you run and also look at the cushioning in your footwear.
I have super feet inserts that I have in the trail shoes. I wonder if I should put back the original inserts. This hasnt happen in a long long time. I have inserts in my street Saucony's. I bet it was all the downhill parts of the trail that were sometimes very steep and it was like running steep stadium stairs. My inside ankles were hurting a little right after.

This hasnt happened on street except when I went running in the snow/ice. That was just stupid. I just had to get those 5 miles in and then had to sit for 2 weeks.

No blood in my urine. Yea me.

EDIT: My last injury that i referred to above was technically diagnosed as Insertional Achilles Tendinitis. It was the sheathing that wraps around the Achilles that was inflamed on the sides of my heels. Knee buckling pain while running.

Yup that's me. Got the mini-van too (although I have my 26.2 and 13.1 stickers on my back window so it's a cool mini-van).
You still kick in my book, mini van or not.

Glad that it's over! Stomach troubles throughout led to 4 bathroom stops. All I can say is that one might look strange walking into Home Depot 8 minutes after they open in running gear and carrying a handheld water bottle :)
It wasn't easy, but I didn't think it would be. Overall, I am good with it. I only have two more runs over 15 miles in my first full marathon training cyle. An 18 miler next weekend, and then another 20 miler on November 12th, so that makes it good. I could have done another 6.2 today. It would have been slower, but I would have finished. I still have 8 weeks before the race, so I am starting to feel like I am really going to become a marathoner.
Nice job!

4 stops huh? Man, I dont cross anything I could stop at... except a lot of woods and bushes. :lookaroun

JillC LI

Beautiful here in NJ today.
Got in 5.25 miles at a 10:05 pace (that's speedy for me).
I have to say that I love running outside and see other people out there running. Runners have to be the friendliest people out there. I can pass people walking and I'll say "Good morning" and they just look at me. But pass another runner and it's always a wave and good morning back. It's just a simple expression of encouragement, but much appreciated!

Enjoy the day All! :wave:

It really is appreciated. I hate it when another runner just looks right through you. So rude. At least nod your head or something even if you are too tired to smile or wave.

That's terrific Steve! You are DEFINITELY going to become a marathoner!

As for me, I ran 6.5 on Sunday morning but I had to keep a 9:48 long tempo pace which I've been doing lately with no problem, but my husband asked if he could join me on his bike which means we ride the hilly path through the forest whereas I've been training on flat ground lately. Also, it was unexpectedly hot, nearly 80 degress. The combo of the hills and heat nearly did me in, but I finished with an average of 9:45 pace! Unfortunately, it took so much out of me that I felt like I wanted to nap for the rest of the beautiful day! LOL.

Today's workout on the calendar was speed work. I did four half mile reps at 8:30 with a minute and a half rest period, plus a 1 mile warmup and cooldown. Took everything I had to finish that fourth rep but I did it. I have to squeeze a full week of workouts into 4 days this week because we're going to Vegas From Friday-Sunday and I don't plan to run there. :D

GoofyRacer11

So to start off, I was finally able to register for
the Goofy Challenge this January. With that in mind,
I continued my training with an 18 mile long run
yesterday morning. I maintained an 8 minute mile pace
for the entire run. I had no discomfort at all and felt
that I could do a marathon right now. My long run this
weekend is going to be my first 20 miler and I hope
the weather holds off. Tomorrow I'll be lifting weights
once in the morning and once in the evening. Hope
everyone is success with their training.

JillC LI

I'm glad you were able to get in after all that angst. Sounds like you're well-prepared. Just remember, the marathon is all in those last 6.2 miles! You'll do great with all the training you've done.

fmingo36

Glad that you were able to register. Congrats on your successful training!

scorp111

Not feeling it this morning. Mentally and physically, a tough run. 5 miles @ 10 min per mile. Didn't want to start, was overdressed, and just really felt like a slug for the first two miles. Miles 3-5 were better, and I have another 5 for my log as per the plan. :) Happy Tuesday everyone.

joel_maxwell

4.5 miles this am. It was nice jog day with no time in mind. My internal pace meter said 9:30 pace. :lookaroun

3 miles of speed in the morning. :fork: hot poker under my feet tomorrow

GoofyRacer11

I'm glad you were able to get in after all that angst. Sounds like you're well-prepared. Just remember, the marathon is all in those last 6.2 miles! You'll do great with all the training you've done.

Glad that you were able to register. Congrats on your successful training!

Thanks! I was getting a little nervous that I
wasn't going to be able to and that all this training
was for nothing but increasing my mileage, which
isn't a bad thing, but running the Goofy is going to
be so much better. I want to work up to 24 mile long
runs and 10 mile runs the day before. Wish everyone
the best in their training as well.

faw286570

That's terrific! I'm training for a 5K soon as well. Any good tips you can share?

Here is what I can share easily. This is similar information to what is in running books/magazines. The difference is I get to read it, hear it, and experience it simultaneously in the training sessions. Everyone has different techniques and this just happens to be some of what I am learning.

We have had training sessions focusing on –
1. Building a Training Plan
2. Proper Running Technique
3. Nutrition for Performance

Use aerobic conditioning to build a base endurance level. Between 6 to 14 weeks you will begin to see results. This means largely running at 75% to 80% of maximum heart rate or easier. Runs duration should gradually increase over time – about 10% or less per week. Long runs are the key to building endurance. These can be 30 seconds to 2 minutes slower than normal pace.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GO EASIER. You will get more benefit out of easier workouts, and avoid injury.

All harder work must be paired with rest
When in doubt move toward the aerobic
Non running exercise has its benefits for running (cross-training)

During a 45 minute run, during the last 20 minutes push yourself to run harder than normal – to the point of being uncomfortable but not hurting – once every 7 to 10 days (depending on the individual). This will really help you realize improvements.

This is mostly from the Build a Plan session.

I have already realized a 5k PR through these efforts!

Mr mom

Not feeling it this morning. Mentally and physically, a tough run. 5 miles @ 10 min per mile. Didn't want to start, was overdressed, and just really felt like a slug for the first two miles. Miles 3-5 were better, and I have another 5 for my log as per the plan. :) Happy Tuesday everyone.

I hear ya, I put in 8.6 miles today at 8 mph but my lungs are horrid, this cold/respiratory virus is killing me. I actually looked forward more to my weights this morning, easier on the lungs.

joel_maxwell

Here is what I can share easily. This is similar information to what is in running books/magazines. The difference is I get to read it, hear it, and experience it simultaneously in the training sessions. Everyone has different techniques and this just happens to be some of what I am learning.

Use aerobic conditioning to build a base endurance level. Between 6 to 14 weeks you will begin to see results. This means largely running at 75% to 80% of maximum heart rate or easier. Runs duration should gradually increase over time – about 10% or less per week. Long runs are the key to building endurance. These can be 30 seconds to 2 minutes slower than normal pace.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GO EASIER. You will get more benefit out of easier workouts, and avoid injury.

During a 45 minute run, during the last 20 minutes push yourself to run harder than normal – to the point of being uncomfortable but not hurting – once every 7 to 10 days (depending on the individual). This will really help you realize improvements.

This is my favorite part of all of this.

faw286570

Good point!

The 20 minute push into the uncomfortable is the piece that brings the training together and helps to realize the most gains in fitness endurance.

I find myself saying, yes it was a good run - can we do that again?

JillC LI

Great stuff, Randall, thanks again! :wave:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Sorry for the lack of post as of late.

Some number for you to digest:

Just under 140 miles last week (6 days).

19.27 miles yesterday.
20.01 miles this morning.

Tomorrow will be 26 miles.

Thursday is another 26.

Friday is 20 and Saturday will be about 30 miles. Rest on Sunday.

Yeah so obviously, I'm increasing my mileage from what it was a few months ago, and increasing my pace as well, so I can hope to sub 24 hours for the 100 miler.

STEVE - you are becoming a monster with your numbers, keep it up!

Coryna, Joel, Jill, Dave...everything looking great as usual and always staying in touch on FB.

I'll start post more again...

Cheers folks!

joel_maxwell

Glad to see you back Nick.

This morning was going to be 3 mile speed work. My daughter Rivers was up a lot last night and tried to spoil my morning. Speed work was a little changed up. I was very tired starting out so I adapted. I tried to speed up as I went by 30 seconds per mile. I guess i did pretty good with my internal speedometer.

1 - 8:46
2 - 8:18
3 - 7:44

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom