What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Got in 3.5 miles this evening.
It was a bit more humid than I expected and I felt the heat much sooner than I had liked. I honestly don't know how you Southern runners do it during the summer months.
I absolutely love running in anything 50 and below. My favorite is 30 and sunny. That being said, if it is going to be hot, I like it to be "Guess what I ran in yesterday" hot. This week it has been in the upper 90's, soupy humidity and heat index of 105-112 depending on the day. It is very difficult to breathe it is so hot. I try not to do anything over 4 in that kind of heat.

Bare minimum for this kind of running. Shoes, shorts, watch and RoadID. Sometimes my running hat I got from a race. No shirt, no clutter to get more wet and weigh me down.

This afternoon, that heat and the atmosphere brought on some epic storms. Lightning and heavy down pour. Bad combination.

joel_maxwell

4 miles tonight. I had to run 45 minutes after eating at Moe's to let the rain pass through. Man, it cooled things off to the low 80's which was very nice, but that Joey Bag of Donuts burrito in my stomach came to play the whole time. Glad I got out there anyway.

JillC LI

Still trying to custom-make my own hydration vest; taking apart old hydration units and combining them with others. There are pros and cons with all of my vests, so I'm trying to combine all of the pros into one. I'm pretty particular as to wear I carry and reach for things on the run, so hopefully all of this "Frankenstein" work pays off. I'll post pics when I'm done.

You should patent your invention when you're done. Seriously. I'll bet other ultra runners have the same needs as you, and you could make a pretty penny off your love of the sport!

Ill have to go later tonight... 1 week off starting tomorrow is going to kill me. Stupid minor out patient surgery. Errrr!

Good luck with everything, Joel.

As for me, it was a gorgeous 60-something degrees this morning with no humidity and a nice breeze - perfect speed work weather. I did my custom-made 1/3 mile intervals workout over 4 miles (sprint 1/3 mile, jog 3 min, repeat 4x, with warmup and cooldown). I finished with an average pace of 9:07 min/mile which is a record for me. And I had some fast segments of about 7:45 which is also faster than I knew I could run, so I was psyched.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I was wondering how you dealt with hydration during your runs. I have a belt with a few small water bottles and it drives me crazy when I first start running and also when my sides are uneven. I guess that's one good thing about running on the treadmill, I always have water handy and I don't have to carry it.
Can't wait to see your "Franken-vest".

The belt system doesn't work for me. Too much bounce and I don't like carrying the weight there as it tends to turn my stomache.

My Salomon skin lab vest hugs the upper back and ribs and NO bounce at all.

Nathan makes female-friendly vest that carries 2 liters, you might to check it out.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
18.66 miles this morning. My body decided to tell me (after back to back runs of 17-21 miles everyday for 4 weeks), "F___ you, Nick..." Everything from my mid-back on down is in pain. Ice bath tonight. Stone Ruination IPAs now.

Cheers folks.

joel_maxwell

:hurl: :lol:
Not quite... but I had to slow down when I burped. I didnt want to verp.

TMI right? :lol:

Good luck with everything, Joel.
Thanks. Everything went great. I have a follow up next Thursday. If Im cleared, Ill be running that after noon.

First question out of my mouth when the nurse came in afterward, "When can I run again?" She looked puzzled and said, "You must be one of those running people." Guilty.

fmingo36

Thanks. Everything went great. I have a follow up next Thursday. If Im cleared, Ill be running that after noon.

First question out of my mouth when the nurse came in afterward, "When can I run again?" She looked puzzled and said, "You must be one of those running people." Guilty.

Glad to hear everything went well.
My hubby had surgery on his toe on Monday and he asked the doctor the same thing "when do you think I can start running again". He's supposed to run the 1/2 in Disneyland with me next month but I think don't think he's going to be ready-crutches for 2 weeks, boot for another 2 after that. We'll see.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Have not checked in, in a bit. Reason being, I am injured. Not sure what happened, everything has been going swimmingly and then one day the outside of my right knee started experiencing these kind of stabbing pains. Making running essentially impossible. I have been regulated to the elliptical for about 3 days now. The knees feels good, but I am not ready to test it out just yet.

joel_maxwell

My hubby had surgery on his toe on Monday and he asked the doctor the same thing "when do you think I can start running again". He's supposed to run the 1/2 in Disneyland with me next month but I think don't think he's going to be ready-crutches for 2 weeks, boot for another 2 after that. We'll see.
Yikes... That is much longer recovery than mine. I wish him the best. I hope he gets to run the half.

JillC LI

When I had to have ankle surgery in 2003, the first thing I asked the surgeon was "will I be able to run a marathon afterwards?" He said "Yes" and I was thrilled. Then he asked "have you run one before?" and I said "Not yet but it's always been a dream!" and we both laughed. It was actually a very long recovery from that surgery, but I ran the NYC marathon in 2005.

Joel, I'm glad you're doing well.

joel_maxwell

When I had to have ankle surgery in 2003, the first thing I asked the surgeon was "will I be able to run a marathon afterwards?" He said "Yes" and I was thrilled. Then he asked "have you run one before?" and I said "Not yet but it's always been a dream!" and we both laughed. It was actually a very long recovery from that surgery, but I ran the NYC marathon in 2005.

Joel, I'm glad you're doing well.
Way to come back strong Jill and not give up.

Thanks, Im not taking pain meds anymore. I usually dont after the first day. I dont like that stuff in my system and I like to "feel" when the wound if heeling and the pain not be masked.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We were GOING to do 10 miles today....and then a heat advisory with temps in the 90s was issued.

Plus storms are incoming....it's not looking promising for getting outside.

fmingo36

Yikes... That is much longer recovery than mine. I wish him the best. I hope he gets to run the half.

Thanks!
I think he purposely scheduled the surgery on purpose so he wouldn't have to train and he thinks I will push his lazy a$$ in a wheelchair through the course. :lol:

fmingo36

I did 5 miles this morning but my knee is really giving me some trouble. I ran a pathetic 11:35 minute/mile. At this point I'm not sure if I should cut out the running (but continue cross training) and give my knee a bit of a break or just keeping training but maybe cut back on the miles a bit. The DL 1/2 is next month and I want to be ready.
CAN'T WAIT TO GET THAT COAST TO COAST MEDAL!!!

Texas84

I did 5 miles this morning but my knee is really giving me some trouble. I ran a pathetic 11:35 minute/mile. At this point I'm not sure if I should cut out the running (but continue cross training) and give my knee a bit of a break or just keeping training but maybe cut back on the miles a bit. The DL 1/2 is next month and I want to be ready.
CAN'T WAIT TO GET THAT COAST TO COAST MEDAL!!!

My 2 cents: For someone at your level you can back off a bit and still have a good half. Of course the best thing to do would be to see a doctor. I'm looking forward to some DL race reports. I'm doing the coast-to-coast next year.

Got up at 0-dark-30 for my 8-miler on the Galloway plan. Very nice morning for a change. Felt like I could have gone 13.1. About 70F with a breeze from the east which is strange. Wonder if it was related to that disturbance off Florida. Now I'm going out to mow the lawn. :hammer:

fmingo36

My 2 cents: For someone at your level you can back off a bit and still have a good half. Of course the best thing to do would be to see a doctor. :

I know I'll finish the 1/2 no problem but I'm hoping to run a bit w/ The Running Machine (Nick) next month during his 50 mile ultra. Can't let a knee injury get in the way of that!
Frozen bags of peas are my best friend right now.:lol:

fmingo36

I did an hour of yoga and a 1/2 hour of free weights. Decided to give the knee a little best today. Hopefully I'll be up for a run tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom